WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Beer in a can?!
  • 64.9% - Sure. Why not? 626
  • 35.1% - Ew. No way. 338
964 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

manhandsha

quality posts: 33 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

Guinness, yes.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

Lenkeit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lenkeit

Hmmmm.... does this mean there's going to be a Beer.Woot in the future?

Things I drink are (in no particular order):
Coconut Milk
Ice Water
Iced Tea
Hot Tea
Coffee
Wine

Nope, I don't drink beer.

We can cellar 545 bottles here at home. This means we must quickly consume the other 436 bottles on hand...

lobo111

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lobo111

Stored in a can, then poured into a glass!

FrostByte

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FrostByte
Lenkeit wrote:Hmmmm.... does this mean there's going to be a Beer.Woot in the future?

That is my hope every time there is a beer related poll, and it hasn't happened yet.

Some of the craft beers are starting to come out in cans around here to be beach/golf course friendly. I don't have the most discerning of palates, but I'd say they taste just as good as out of a bottle.

Charter Member (0002314) - Friend of the Official Crappraiser Get your Official Crappraisal today.

woot 56 wine 5 shirt 35 sellout 12 kids 27 hh 2 moofi 3 home 7 sport 6
electronics 3 pop 4 tools 2 a&w 4 computers 0 total 166

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

Beer in a can, absolutely.

No light can enter, and light degrades beer.

No oxygen can enter a can while some oxygen can enter a bottle under the crown cap, so it ages better.

And no, beer does not taste tinny from a can.

jtmacc99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jtmacc99

Yes, but really prefer to pour it into a glass than drinking it right from the can.

Same goes for bottled beer, come to think of it, as long as it's good beer I actually want to taste.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Beer is great from a can, just don't drink from the can.
I just had a 7 Seas 'Pale Ale', from a can.

dnlkolender

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dnlkolender

Yep, that's actually how I prefer it. Like a nice oil can of Foster's or a tall can of Aass if I'm in Norway. Not sold in US, so go to Norway! Go, NOW! :P

dnlkolender

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dnlkolender
kaolis wrote:Beer in a can, absolutely.

No light can enter, and light degrades beer.

No oxygen can enter a can while some oxygen can enter a bottle under the crown cap, so it ages better.

And no, beer does not taste tinny from a can.

Amen.

ardubu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ardubu
manhandsha wrote:Guinness, yes.

Damn Right!

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

timothynohe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timothynohe

Most beer sux anyway.

corbmonster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages corbmonster

Sure. A lot of the craft brewers here (Texas) have been using only aluminum since it is cheaper and easier to recycle than glass.

Harui

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Harui

No beer at all, so it makes no difference to me.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein

TysonRoad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TysonRoad

Alchemist beers. Discussion closed.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
TysonRoad wrote:Alchemist beers. Discussion closed.

Plural? What besides Heady Topper?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

matto121

quality posts: 0 Private Messages matto121
corbmonster wrote:Sure. A lot of the craft brewers here (Texas) have been using only aluminum since it is cheaper and easier to recycle than glass.

+1

kmagt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmagt

Light weight is cheaper to ship, too.

matto121 wrote:+1

pmarin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pmarin

I Answered "no" to this but I think I was wrong. I was thinking of "canned supermarket beers" which I've grown a distaste for (especially after recent revelations that many mass-produced "beers" have Corn Syrup in them.)

I know there ARE good small-producer beers that are now shipping in cans. Some are from my local area of the Pacific NW, and are fine. (yes, put it in a glass first, if possible -- if NOT possible, suck it from the can and know that it is still better than drinking a Curs).

So I'll say "yes" to cans after all.

cheriea99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheriea99

Maybe if I'm pool side or tubing down the river where you can't have glass bottles.

nicholseg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicholseg

Hey, I like to buy beer in cans cause they are so much easier to recycle. (Cans are curbside here but I have to haul bottles a few blocks to a special dumpster-trailer.) And cans never break. But can or bottle, I pour it into a glass. You can now get some New Belgium varieties in cans.

Aracos

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Aracos
pmarin wrote:I Answered "no" to this but I think I was wrong. I was thinking of "canned supermarket beers" which I've grown a distaste for (especially after recent revelations that many mass-produced "beers" have Corn Syrup in them.)

I know there ARE good small-producer beers that are now shipping in cans. Some are from my local area of the Pacific NW, and are fine. (yes, put it in a glass first, if possible -- if NOT possible, suck it from the can and know that it is still better than drinking a Curs).

So I'll say "yes" to cans after all.

You are right that a lot of quality beers are now being put in cans, as mentioned above they can be preferable (no light, no oxygen). Also lighter, so I'm sure they are cheaper to ship.

Please don't buy into the crud being shoveled by the so-called food babe though. She is really clueless and is just out to get hits on her site. Any corn syrup added to beer is not the high fructose kind and will almost totally ferment out. The yeast eat the sugars, producing the alcohol, so you aren't drinking corn syrup.

The rebuttal here does a much better job than I can debunking her claims:
http://maureenogle.com/maureen-ogle/2013/08/18/whats-in-your-beer-or-the-dangers-of-dumbassery

I actually read that first when I heard about the controversy on a beer news site because I didn't want her to get any ad hits from me. I homebrew and I have used a couple of her "shocking ingredients" in my brews. Irish moss (carageenen), which is a seawood that helps clump the solids and ends up in the bottom of the brew kettle and not the beer. I also use dextrose (powdered corn sugar) to bottle carbonate and I have a few beers downstairs from classes that used isinglass (fish swim bladder protein), which also doesn't stay in the beer as it settles out in the bottom of the fermenter.

I am not defending the "canned supermarket beers" as you call them even though I live and work just south of Miller. I am not a fan of the majority of those either, but I really don't like people spreading misinformation to inflate ad views and egos. She also thinks microwaves are bad because they make water sad. The big breweries could produce some fantastic beers if they desired. I've brewed with the head of the pilot brewery for Miller and the other samples he brought were fantastic. I've had some other brews out of their various brands that aren't sold that put the beers they do sell to shame.