denise4080

quality posts: 1 Private Messages denise4080

That time of year again!
I am commish in one of the leagues. I set live draft Sunday 8/25 @ 6:00 CT LMK how that works for those in my league.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Let's make sure we get any changes to the rules set before the draft this year!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

denise4080

quality posts: 1 Private Messages denise4080

I don't recall my league having any issues with rules last year? Might be wrong? Speak up now....I am open to change as long as we put it up to vote.

MarkDaSpark

denise4080 wrote:I don't recall my league having any issues with rules last year? Might be wrong? Speak up now....I am open to change as long as we put it up to vote.

Not your league, ours.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk
MarkDaSpark wrote:Not your league, ours.

can't we all just get along?

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
joelsisk wrote:can't we all just get along?

Only on Thursdays...

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

joelsisk

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Only on Thursdays...

Ooohhhhhh! Is THAT why we don't sell wine on Thursdays?

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Hard to believe we're edging toward football season already. It seems like the last season just ended not so long ago.

Wait, that was basketball season.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:can't we all just get along?

Maybe we'll have to ... haven't seen anything on our league yet.

MarkDaSpark

Rule Discussions (from last year):

1) Add TE to available Flex position?

2) Combine WR/TE (3 or 4 super TE's, and the rest are hit or miss)?

3) Keep it full PPR?

4) Too many WR/QB and not enough RB in Top 25?

Top 6 = 2 QB / 2 RB / 2 WR

Top 12 = 3 QB / 3 RB / 5 WR / 1 TE (TE? Where's the Horror?? )

Top 25 = 6 QB / 6 RB / 10 WR / 3 TE

5) Bump up range for negative points for Defenses (make 21 = 0, and start negative after that or so)?

6) Keep Can't Cut List?

7) Remove -1 for Sacks from QB's and go back to -2 for INTS?

8) Maybe lower range to 35 yards before negative points for Kickers?

9) Set DEF/ST scoring to Yahoo Default range? I think it got lowered last year.

10) Bonus points for yardage?

Old league used to have bonus points for going over a set yardage for QB/RB/WR. Initially, that yardage was separate, usually 300+ for QB's and 100+ yards for RB or WR.

11) I wonder if this year they will allow trading waiver picks?

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill

Hadn't felt the need to renew the league yet - we just had the All-Star game and training camps haven't even begun.

I don't mind being commissioner, even if I have to "deal with the headache of dealing with Sparky ;)".

You raised a lot of discussion points. I'll have to do some research on them to form an opinion on thier impact and practicality.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

MarkDaSpark

merbill wrote:Hadn't felt the need to renew the league yet - we just had the All-Star game and training camps haven't even begun.

I don't mind being commissioner, even if I have to "deal with the headache of dealing with Sparky ;)".

You raised a lot of discussion points. I'll have to do some research on them to form an opinion on thier impact and practicality.

I think those were all the ones raised last year by owners.

And you probably should send out the emails, so we can verify who's still in, and if we need to recruit anyone (or leave it at 10 if we have dropouts).

coynedj

My thoughts on the rule questions:

1) Add TE to available Flex position? - Sure, why not?

2) Combine WR/TE (3 or 4 super TE's, and the rest are hit or miss)? - I think having the TE as a separate position adds an interesting element of strategy to the game, so I would vote No.

3) Keep it full PPR? - I don't care too much. I could go with 1/2 point per reception.

- That's the way the NFL is these days. Cutting the ppr down to .5 ppr would alleviate some of this, and maybe we could not be so generous with QB points.

5) Bump up range for negative points for Defenses (make 21 = 0, and start negative after that or so)? - Or just give up on points-against scoring, and only give defensive points for things like sacks and interceptions.

6) Keep Can't Cut List? - Get rid of it, but institute a rule that anyone dumping players for non-competitive reasons has to send a bottle of Wellington Cab to each league member.

7) Remove -1 for Sacks from QB's and go back to -2 for INTS? - Fine by me.

8) Maybe lower range to 35 yards before negative points for Kickers? - Fine by me.

9) Set DEF/ST scoring to Yahoo Default range? I think it got lowered last year. - Seems related to (5) above.

Old league used to have bonus points for going over a set yardage for QB/RB/WR. Initially, that yardage was separate, usually 300+ for QB's and 100+ yards for RB or WR.
- OK with them, but the QB points sometimes seemed excessive.

11) I wonder if this year they will allow trading waiver picks? - How about trading draft positions? It would be for the entire draft, not round by round. Waiver pick trades don't seem necessary to me.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

MarkDaSpark

coynedj wrote:My thoughts on the rule questions:

- That's the way the NFL is these days. Cutting the ppr down to .5 ppr would alleviate some of this, and maybe we could not be so generous with QB points.

5) Bump up range for negative points for Defenses (make 21 = 0, and start negative after that or so)? - Or just give up on points-against scoring, and only give defensive points for things like sacks and interceptions.

9) Set DEF/ST scoring to Yahoo Default range? I think it got lowered last year. - Seems related to (5) above.

- OK with them, but the QB points sometimes seemed excessive.

11) I wonder if this year they will allow trading waiver picks? - How about trading draft positions? It would be for the entire draft, not round by round. Waiver pick trades don't seem necessary to me.

4) It used to be that the Top 25 were dominated by RB ... not so much anymore due to RBBC.

I'd like to see a few more RB's and less WR's in there. Especially since I seem to pick those RB's that get injured right away!

10) Maybe only bonus points for RB then? Which would bump more RB's into the Top 25. And we are more generous with yardage for QB's ... I think it used to be every 50 yds for them in my old leagues. But then they got the same points for TDs as everyone else too.

So maybe only bonus points for RB's.

5) & 9) -- Would like to see Yahoo Defaults for those.

11) Draft position trades would have to be manually set by the Commish I believe, after the initial setup. S/He would have to do it after the Draft is initially set. Not sure if they'd have to do it for all rounds, or if changing one round would automatically change the others. Potentially more work for the Commish.

As to Waiver Pick trades, that would help during the season if someone wanted to get (or really needed to get) a higher waiver pick. Instead of arranging for them to draft for you, you would just trade picks (and a player or players). But it may not be setup this year, so it would be moot.

I used to be in favor of adding TE's, but so many of them are used as blocking backs and not receiving, that it seems more of a worthless add now.

I'd rather see them added to the WR mix.

Plus, it's one less position to draft! Quicker drafts!

coynedj

MarkDaSpark wrote:Maybe only bonus points for RB then? Which would bump more RB's into the Top 25. And we are more generous with yardage for QB's ... I think it used to be every 50 yds for them in my old leagues. But then they got the same points for TDs as everyone else too.

So maybe only bonus points for RB's.

I like this idea!

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

Agree that TE should be added to the Flex option.

Agree with dropping neg pts for QB sack and restoring -2 for Int.

Agree with proposed scoring changes for DEF and K.

Prefer 0.5pt PPR.

Don't like Bonus points. When a player racks up big yardage they have most likely scored one or more times as well and have already had a big day. Why pile on with bonus points? If we do have yardage based bonus points, I hope we will keep it modest.

coynedj

One league a friend of mine plays in has ppc scoring - points per carry. That's another way to boost RB scoring, though we couldn't give 1 or .5 points per carry - it would have to be a much lower figure. Maybe 0.2 - that would give a guy with 25 carries an extra 5 points, comparable to a WR who gets 5 catches for full ppr or 10 for .5 ppr.

merbill

OK, I've renewed the league and made a few preliminary changes.
In order of Sparky's list:
1 & 2) I added TE to the flex position, but I'm keeping TE as a separate starting position.
3) I've cut reception points back to .5
5) Def points against adjusted downward toward (but not all the way to) the yahoo default values
6) Still Using Yahoo's can't cut list (not a change). They have been pretty good at updating it through the season as necessary.
7) Reduced QB sacks to -.5, increased Int to -2
8) eliminated the -1 for missing 30-39 FGs. Keeping -1 penalty for missing shorter FGs or XP
9) see 5 above
10) no bonus points at this time. Keep talking about it, tho.
11) I do not have any options to do this in the settings, and I wouldn't do it anyway.

Tentative live draft date is Sun Aug 31, 10:15 am PST. Check your emails and re-up today!

MarkDaSpark

merbill wrote:OK, I've renewed the league and made a few preliminary changes.
1 & 2) I added TE to the flex position, but I'm keeping TE as a separate starting position.
5) Def points against adjusted downward toward (but not all the way to) the yahoo default values
6) Still Using Yahoo's can't cut list (not a change). They have been pretty good at updating it through the season as necessary.
8) eliminated the -1 for missing 30-39 FGs. Keeping -1 penalty for missing shorter FGs or XP
9) see 5 above
11) I do not have any options to do this in the settings, and I wouldn't do it anyway.

Tentative live draft date is Sun Aug 31, 10:15 am PST. Check your emails and re-up today!

Seemed like the consensus was to make sacks for QB's = 0. Thus the -2 for INTs.

merbill

MarkDaSpark wrote:Seemed like the consensus was to make sacks for QB's = 0. Thus the -2 for INTs.

Sacks are partly the QB's fault, so he's going to take a "hit" to his value if he can't get out of the way and get rid of the ball fast enough. Besides, I thought you wanted lower QB scoring?

Now renew your team.

chipgreen

merbill wrote:Sacks are partly the QB's fault, so he's going to take a "hit" to his value if he can't get out of the way and get rid of the ball fast enough. Besides, I thought you wanted lower QB scoring?

Now renew your team.

As much as I would like to see WR and RB positions have close to the same approximate fantasy value, I believe that the one and only QB in our lineups should be more important than any other single player. I'm not so concerned about the neg points for sack and int but would be in favor of giving 6 pts for passing TDs. If we did 6 pts per passing TD, we could also do -1 sack and -2 int to offset it a little.

coynedj

chipgreen wrote:As much as I would like to see WR and RB positions have close to the same approximate fantasy value, I believe that the one and only QB in our lineups should be more important than any other single player. I'm not so concerned about the neg points for sack and int but would be in favor of giving 6 pts for passing TDs. If we did 6 pts per passing TD, we could also do -1 sack and -2 int to offset it a little.

I'd be more likely to support cutting QB TDs to 3 points than increasing them to 6 points. I played in a 6-point league for several years, and it just skewed things too much.

MarkDaSpark

merbill wrote:Sacks are partly the QB's fault, so he's going to take a "hit" to his value if he can't get out of the way and get rid of the ball fast enough. Besides, I thought you wanted lower QB scoring?

Now renew your team.

Not when they come from the blind side ... that's the OL's fault.

And I never wanted lower QB scoring!

If you are keeping the -.5 for sacks, and increasing the INTs to -2, then you have to increase the TD's for QBs to 6.

Otherwise, keep the INTs at -2 and remove the Sacks from the QB.

Edit: I think you need your eyesight checked. I had already renewed before you posted!!

chipgreen

MarkDaSpark wrote:Not when they come from the blind side ... that's the OL's fault.

And I never wanted lower QB scoring!

If you are keeping the -.5 for sacks, and increasing the INTs to -2, then you have to increase the TD's for QBs to 6.

Otherwise, keep the INTs at -2 and remove the Sacks from the QB.

Edit: I think you need your eyesight checked. I had already renewed before you posted!!

....or maybe -0.5 sack and -1.5 INT? That's actually what I started to write above, then decided to go for the 6 pt passing TD gusto instead!

coynedj

If we're going to argue about who's fault something is, then maybe we should take defensive touchdowns out of the calculation for defensive points allowed. If a team gives up 21 points on three interception returns for touchdowns, why is it bad defense?

I fear we're getting into more detail than necessary. As long as the rules are fairly close to reasonable, then that's fine with me.

But I still don't like 6 points for QB touchdowns. That one league I mentioned - one year 17 of the top 20 scorers were QBs. When your bench QB scores more than your top RB or WR, maybe things are out of balance.

merbill

coynedj wrote:If we're going to argue about who's fault something is, then maybe we should take defensive touchdowns out of the calculation for defensive points allowed. If a team gives up 21 points on three interception returns for touchdowns, why is it bad defense?

I fear we're getting into more detail than necessary. As long as the rules are fairly close to reasonable, then that's fine with me.

But I still don't like 6 points for QB touchdowns. That one league I mentioned - one year 17 of the top 20 scorers were QBs. When your bench QB scores more than your top RB or WR, maybe things are out of balance.

Couple of quick points - when a def scores a TD, the points DO NOT count against the team defensive points allowed for the bad offensive team that threw the pick 6, etc. In your example, that team's defense is still pitching a shutout as far as the scoring system is concerned. Badly worded, but I hope you get the gist.

Second, passing TD's in our league are already worth 4 points, not 6.

Yeah, the blind-side argument is silly. I'm keeping the -.5 for sacks.

merbill

chipgreen wrote:....or maybe -0.5 sack and -1.5 INT? That's actually what I started to write above, then decided to go for the 6 pt passing TD gusto instead!

I considered -1.5 for ints, but when you figure there are more than twice as many sacks as there are ints (in fact, almost 3 times as many), I had to weight the ints a little heavier. Still a projected net positive gain in QB points.

merbill

For all the rest of you out there reading this thread, we will have anywhere from 1-3 openings this year for new players. We welcome all levels of experience, newbie to shark. Please post your interest here, and I'll get invites out when the league returnees firm up. In the meantime, feel free to post any questions you have.

coynedj

merbill wrote:Couple of quick points - when a def scores a TD, the points DO NOT count against the team defensive points allowed for the bad offensive team that threw the pick 6, etc. In your example, that team's defense is still pitching a shutout as far as the scoring system is concerned. Badly worded, but I hope you get the gist.

Second, passing TD's in our league are already worth 4 points, not 6.

Yeah, the blind-side argument is silly. I'm keeping the -.5 for sacks.

Re Point 1: My mistake. Sorry.

Re Point 2: I was speaking about the posts suggesting 6 points for QB touchdowns. As I said in a previous post (or two), I don't like the idea.

Re Point 3: This falls into my "fairly close to reasonable" category. Fine by me.

It's hard to believe the Hall of Fame game is only nine days away. It's almost football time!

chipgreen

merbill wrote:For all the rest of you out there reading this thread, we will have anywhere from 1-3 openings this year for new players. We welcome all levels of experience, newbie to shark. Please post your interest here, and I'll get invites out when the league returnees firm up. In the meantime, feel free to post any questions you have.

bump

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
merbill wrote:OK, I've renewed the league and made a few preliminary changes.
9) see 5 above

Please add me to the league or wait list...

"The older I get the better I was"

merbill

losthighwayz wrote:Please add me to the league or wait list...

Check your PMs

Teefant

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Teefant

Bump. This is losthighwayz. Is there a 12th wooter for Merbill's league? Otherwise I am going to get dropped! Someone step ip please.

joelsisk

Teefant wrote:Bump. This is losthighwayz. Is there a 12th wooter for Merbill's league? Otherwise I am going to get dropped! Someone step ip please.

we only have 8 in our league... still would be an odd number, but just so you know.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
Teefant wrote:Bump. This is losthighwayz. Is there a 12th wooter for Merbill's league? Otherwise I am going to get dropped! Someone step ip please.

I can be added if needed.

CT

merbill

cortot20 wrote:I can be added if needed.

PM

coynedj

The draft be a-comin'.

I need to figure out my list. It might be good to actually be prepared this year. Given last night's showing, I don't think Johnny Football will be too high on said list.

Are we stuck at ten teams? I had my hopes up for twelve, but I'll roll with whatever we end up with.

MarkDaSpark

coynedj wrote:The draft be a-comin'.

I need to figure out my list. It might be good to actually be prepared this year. Given last night's showing, I don't think Johnny Football will be too high on said list.

Are we stuck at ten teams? I had my hopes up for twelve, but I'll roll with whatever we end up with.

I'm happy with 10.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
MarkDaSpark wrote:I'm happy with 10.

wait a minute, MDS. You sayin' you do not want cortot or lost joining the league? You scareed?

"The older I get the better I was"

MarkDaSpark

losthighwayz wrote:wait a minute, MDS. You sayin' you do not want cortot or lost joining the league? You scareed?

I thought you were already in? And how could I be scared of someone who thinks it's Fantasy Futbol?

Cortot? Cortot who? I don't know any Cortot.