MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
North316 wrote:This was a great reminder, need to put the rub on the ribs tonight!

While I'm at it .... Is that what the kids are calling it nowadays?

I'm here all night people!!

Edit:
T.O.P. Sparkolith!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
MarkDaSpark wrote:ummm ... ummm ..... So you're saying he'd fallen and couldn't get up?

Sorry, I tried to hold it in, and succeeded in the aforementioned thread. But when you post it again ....

Edit: And glad he's fine.

Let's see: he's 95, and wears one of those medic alert pendants. It's supposed to trigger when he falls, but he never falls hard enough for it to trigger. With the wood of the lattice still in his upper arms (and I believe a nail was also involved), he managed to get back inside and call the next door neighbor, who took him to emergency.

So, no, he could get back up.

Edit: And the more I think about this joke at the expense of other's misfortunes, the more livid I get. This was way way out of line.

In fact, I'm gone.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:Let's see: he's 95, and wears one of those medic alert pendants. It's supposed to trigger when he falls, but he never falls hard enough for it to trigger. With the wood of the lattice still in his upper arms (and I believe a nail was also involved), he managed to get back inside and call the next door neighbor, who took him to emergency.

So, no, he could get back up.

Edit: And the more I think about this joke at the expense of other's misfortunes, the more livid I get. This was way way out of line.

In fact, I'm gone.

My mom's going to be 91 in August, and she's also fallen several times, and her alert hasn't gone off either.

She's actually hit her head. Several times. So don't go all livid on me.

He's fine, that's what counts. And if you can't laugh at it, ....

Edit: My Uncle, who is in his late 80's has also fallen, severely. And was in way worse condition where he actually had to STAY in the hospital. He also got back up, walked into the house, bleeding, where my Aunt was.

Edit2: It's hard this time of year, and I use comedy to diffuse it. No apologies.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
JOATMON wrote:Yesterday we went to the Jeremiah O'Brien in San Francisco to watch the fireworks. The O'Brien is the last operating original Liberty ship, and is based in San Francisco. Their normal docking place has a fantastic viewpoint of the fireworks show, and this is the second year we did so. This year, the wind came up and it cod cold on deck! I ended up going below and buying a cap and a sweatshirt from the gift shop, and I normally don't need anything like that. The wind also brought in the low clouds. Most of the fireworks were below the cloud deck, but the high ones would soar up, we's see a glow in the cloud (most of the time white, but occasionally red or another color), and then a few sparks would fall out of the cloud. Fortunately the finale was under the cloud.

Too bad the weather didn't cooperate. Sounded like it would have been a good evening.

Most towns here postponed from Friday to later. Good call as Friday was rainy, and weekend is nearly cloudless.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

It turned out great. I havent tried the ribs, but they I think turned out a bit dry. The pulled pork was awesome though, its about to become lunch. Yeah I have the gas version of your smoker since we dont have an outlet outside. I do need to get the maverick thermometer. I had the over probe in the meat, but I think maybe the smoker was running a bit too hot.

polarbear22 wrote:We don't have the same model smoker. Mine is electric, so matches wouldn't do much.

How did it turn out?

polarbear22

tiger7610 wrote:It turned out great. I havent tried the ribs, but they I think turned out a bit dry. The pulled pork was awesome though, its about to become lunch. Yeah I have the gas version of your smoker since we dont have an outlet outside. I do need to get the maverick thermometer. I had the over probe in the meat, but I think maybe the smoker was running a bit too hot.

Definitely recommend the Maverick. My smoker tends to run a little low, so it helps to make sure temp is right. And I would say, only use butt when making pulled pork.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

2014 fireworks finale video

So I found a downloadable video editor that would deal with AVCHD file format. It doesn't do a good job of keeping audio and video in sync while editing, but the output seems ok.
Excuse the watermark, an artifact of a demo version of the software.

The video is just under three minutes, at the end and a bit beyond so you could see the small fires we had burning in the cakes we squirted out.

The camera was for the most part tripod mounted on the barge deck between the two containers at the far end of the barge, so the view is restricted to only tubes in the center of the field. You see the camera vibration as a shake in the aerial image when the star tails seem to vibrate and jitter caused by the deck vibrations. NOTHING here in the audio compares to the low frequency concussion of the 8" and 10" guns firing; is's just a wave front that compresses your chest with a thud.
Look too in portions where the background is well lit; you'll see lots of debris falling back on us.
Most of the low stuff are the cakes, but there are the mortar tubes as well, some triple 5" shots around 0:36 and 0:41.

I do have the entire 20 minute show video if anyone is interested. It will take a bit of editing, but let me know if there is any interest.

CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:2014 fireworks finale video

So I found a downloadable video editor that would deal with AVCHD file format. It doesn't do a good job of keeping audio and video in sync while editing, but the output seems ok.

The video is just under three minutes, at the end and a bit beyond so you could see the small fires we had burning in the cakes we squirted out.

The camera was for the most part tripod mounted on the barge deck between the two containers at the far end of the barge, so the view is restricted to only tubes in the center of the field. You see the camera vibration as a shake in the aerial image when the star tails seem to vibrate and jitter caused by the deck vibrations. NOTHING here in the audio compares to the low frequency concussion of the 8" and 10" guns firing; is's just a wave front that compresses your chest with a thud.
Look too in portions where the background is well lit; you'll see lots of debris falling back on us.
Most of the low stuff are the cakes, but there are the mortar tubes as well, some triple 5" shots around 0:36 and 0:41.

I do have the entire 20 minute show video if anyone is interested. It will take a bit of editing, but let me know if there is any interest.

Thanks!!!

rjquillin

edthebedhead wrote:That is awesome... Which city?

Sorry I missed this from earlier.
San Diego harbor.

CT

tiger7610

I did use butt for thepulled pork. The ribs were extra

polarbear22 wrote:Definitely recommend the Maverick. My smoker tends to run a little low, so it helps to make sure temp is right. And I would say, only use butt when making pulled pork.

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:Shirt.Woot is getting sloppy ... 2nd shipment missing a shirt. And of course it was the USA shirt.

Update. Refund. Of Course. Cause they don't have any left over. It's not like they couldn't print up some more, being Shirt.Woot ... no, no, they couldn't do that!

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:2014 fireworks finale video

There is a video of someone flying a drone type rc chopper through a fireworks display this year. You should seek that one out online. This is pretty cool Ron, thanks for sharing it.

CT

Cesare

quality posts: 1645 Private Messages Cesare
cortot20 wrote:There is a video of someone flying a drone type rc chopper through a fireworks display this year. You should seek that one out online. This is pretty cool Ron, thanks for sharing it.

Here it is
And thanks Ron! Really enjoyed your descriptions pictures and video.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

So, here's the last of it.

There was a barge for another show, Coronado, tied up just outside of us that was using an earlier generation of a firing system for a smaller network show that included eight or nine sights with a much smaller show. Largest product here was a six inch gun, where we had ten inchers.

Still synchronized music and product, but with a manual firing system where the operator listened to an audio track telling him/her sequential cue numbers; "ready X, fire, ready Y, fire" and such.
A few pics for comparison.

Their barge, with most all the racks set and product dropped, excepting their cakes.

At the far end you can see a plywood construction for their safe area to fire, below they are building it. We had ours within the steel shipping container; we also had 10" guns!

Closeup of their guns and strips to connect the E-match to light the bombs.

Note how spread out the connections are where we had compact boxes with 0Fx (16) connections, they had strips with 50 connections that are around 32 feet or so when stretched out. Makes wiring more 'interesting'. The interconnections are made with cables you may remember from older "key" telephones that had the buttons to select and put lines on hold. The cable is the old grey stuff that's ~1/2" diameter with the large 50 contact rectangular connectors on the end.

Here is our firing location with the two automated PD boxes:

Compared with their 400 shot probe system firing box, where you used the stylus to scratch each circle contact to fire the cue number upon audio cue.

Note this board allows for only 400 cues, where the digital system allows for 0FFFx (4095) cues.

A closeup of a 2.5" 36 shot cake with attached e-match.

and some of the debris left in the guns from earlier shows that needed to be cleaned out.

Lastly, the tug reading to pull us out.

I really should have taken some pics of the debris after the show, but at nearly 03:00, it just wasn't on my mind...

CT

polarbear22

rjquillin wrote:I really should have taken some pics of the debris after the show, but at nearly 03:00, it just wasn't on my mind...

Thanks for all the great photos and inside info. And quite understood that you weren't thinking of photos. Likely just trying to make it home to bed would be a challenge at that time.

My Cellar

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

10 am tornado testing siren on the first Monday of the month in Denver!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

polarbear22

bahwm wrote:10 am tornado testing siren on the first Monday of the month in Denver!

And it's not like they have tornados regularly. Guess that will wake you up.

And yes, keeping the old pub alive. Just part of the post-birthday activities for Sparky. Mess with his OCD a little.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:And it's not like they have tornados regularly. Guess that will wake you up.

And yes, keeping the old pub alive. Just part of the post-birthday activities for Sparky. Mess with his OCD a little.

What a nice birthday present. Thanks so much.

Edit: Quite frankly, do we need to make a new Pub weekly? Or should we go to every other week?

It used to be tied in with the One Wine, One Week theme, and necessary when we would get to around 30 pages each week.

Now with us averaging 3 to 4 pages a week, maybe we should extend the Pub longer?

What say ye?

polarbear22

MarkDaSpark wrote:What a nice birthday present. Thanks so much.

Edit: Quite frankly, do we need to make a new Pub weekly? Or should we go to every other week?

It used to be tied in with the One Wine, One Week theme, and necessary when we would get to around 30 pages each week.

Now with us averaging 3 to 4 pages a week, maybe we should extend the Pub longer?

What say ye?

I would say a monthly pub would be adequate now.

My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
polarbear22 wrote:I would say a monthly pub would be adequate now.

Only if I get to make menstruation jokes

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:Only if I get to make menstruation jokes

But, you would anyway.
Monthly; +1
I get tired of trying to find things in ??? week's pub.

Not too late to start now, just use last weeks (this one) for the rest of the month.

CT

tiger7610

Agreed, once a month is good enough. All the monthly jokes reminds me of ren faire at sterling NY, and the poet who wrote a poem called That menstrual hut.

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:But, you would anyway.
Monthly; +1
I get tired of trying to find things in ??? week's pub.

Not too late to start now, just use last weeks (this one) for the rest of the month.

Will make the change ...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I can lock or delete the other one if you want. Just put a post in there redirecting them and let me know.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:I can lock or delete the other one if you want. Just put a post in there redirecting them and let me know.

No need ... Less confusing to change the other to be Month of July.

And it's another week anyway.

And just where have you been???? Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:No need ... Less confusing to change the other to be Month of July.

And it's another week anyway.

And just where have you been???? Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Been busy. Went to Hot Springs and Little Rock for the weekend. All rested up now.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

tiger7610

Hey our woot clans have been assigned. And sparky and I are on the same team. Let the mayhem begin!