$69.99 $159.00 56% off List Price
2009 Pinot Noir, Crane Vineyard, Sonoma Coast
2009 Pinot Noir Freestone Hill Vineyard, Dutton Ranch, Russian River Valley
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

dnwines

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dnwines

A great deal! What was I thinking!

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
dnwines wrote:A great deal! What was I thinking!

If I recall you are the man semi responsible for d'spill le black the woot cellars pinot. And you also offered a nice vertical of your Pinot here a couple of years ago. Welcome back and tell us about these vineyard designates.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of June 30th.

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July
7/5: Denver #5: VIP Visitors
7/19: SoCal #34 Irvine Wine Locker Raid
TBD: MN#?: Coming out of hibernation...

August
August 4-6: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread
August 9: SoCal #35: Housewarming at PSquishy's New Digs in Glendora, August 9th
August 23: NoVA #30: It's Pool Time Again - August 23rd

Summer
TBD: SoCal #3?: San Diego/Lakeside
TBD: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn

Pending
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

On a recent trip up to Sonoma to taste with Mike from Winesmith, SWMBO and I bumped into Clark and David. We didn't get a chance to try any of his wine, but felt lucky to get a chance to meet him. Very down to earth.

I am definitely intrigued here and like the numbers. Hopefully some notes show up.

If David pops back in, do either of these Pinot carry the sonoma coast earth and funk that so many people favor? It sounds like the Dutton may lean a little in that direction.

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

I have had both of these wines - loved them - and am buying 3x.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

David - going to be up in your area this coming weekend. You going to be around?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

rpm wrote:I have had both of these wines - loved them - and am buying 3x.

Now why you have to go and say that??

OK, I'll take a split with somebody.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

dnwines

cortot20 wrote:If I recall you are the man semi responsible for d'spill le black the woot cellars pinot. And you also offered a nice vertical of your Pinot here a couple of years ago. Welcome back and tell us about these vineyard designates.

I did contribute to the d'spill the black...I began making pinot seriously in 2001--I love the wine and, just before 'that movie' it still seemed a good choice for a small quality oriented producer.

Both these wines are single vineyard productions. The Freestone Hill comes from 5 rows of clone 667, (a Dijon clone), in a Dutton leased vineyard out between Freestone and Occidental. Very much ocean influenced--fog and cold in spring mean small concentrated berries that nonetheless ripen quickly with the late summer heat. Harvest timing is critical to retain the bright fruit & avoid jammy or raisin character.

I find a similar character in other wines from the area--a kind of earthy gamieness that clashes with the raspberry fruit when young, but adds complexity and interest as the wines age...

The Crane vineyard is located just South of Santa Rosa at the Eastern edge of the S. Coast appellation. A strong afternoon breeze that comes in from the ocean via the 'Petaluma Gap' cools the fruit and makes the site good for pinot, and probably not so good for any other red varietal...dry farmed, low crops mean intensity, great raspberry fruit, some black tea character. Clones are mainly Dijon, 115, 667, 777 mixed with some Italian 'Pinot Nero' fruit--a true pinot, but slightly darker and with more 'wild berry' flavor than the Dijons...

Forgive the wordiness, hope this answers some questions.

dnwines

Thanks--yes both do have that 'earthy So. Coast funk' or something like it, more pronounced in the Freestone, in the Crane it comes off more as black tea and toasty dough...

dnwines

I'll be around...but a moving target!
If you're free in the evening, the Annex, on Highway 12, near the 90 degree turn, pours some of my wines and often has some good live music. Send me a note, dgnoyes@sbcglobal.net, and perhaps we can meet there...

rpm

dnwines wrote:I did contribute to the d'spill the black...I began making pinot seriously in 2001--I love the wine and, just before 'that movie' it still seemed a good choice for a small quality oriented producer.

Both these wines are single vineyard productions. The Freestone Hill comes from 5 rows of clone 667, (a Dijon clone), in a Dutton leased vineyard out between Freestone and Occidental. Very much ocean influenced--fog and cold in spring mean small concentrated berries that nonetheless ripen quickly with the late summer heat. Harvest timing is critical to retain the bright fruit & avoid jammy or raisin character.

I find a similar character in other wines from the area--a kind of earthy gamieness that clashes with the raspberry fruit when young, but adds complexity and interest as the wines age...

The Crane vineyard is located just South of Santa Rosa at the Eastern edge of the S. Coast appellation. A strong afternoon breeze that comes in from the ocean via the 'Petaluma Gap' cools the fruit and makes the site good for pinot, and probably not so good for any other red varietal...dry farmed, low crops mean intensity, great raspberry fruit, some black tea character. Clones are mainly Dijon, 115, 667, 777 mixed with some Italian 'Pinot Nero' fruit--a true pinot, but slightly darker and with more 'wild berry' flavor than the Dijons...

Forgive the wordiness, hope this answers some questions.

That the same Crane Ranch out on Crane Ranch Road off of Petaluma Hill Road that produce(s)(d?) the uniquely delicious Crane melons we used to eat in the 50's -80s?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

dnwines

That's it! The vineyards date from 2002, but the Cranes have been growing their melon since the 1920's-30's...still are...

rpm

dnwines wrote:That's it! The vineyards date from 2002, but the Cranes have been growing their melon since the 1920's-30's...still are...

I'm wondering if any of that area was in vineyard before WWI... I don't think so, though. Weren't there some grapes planted up by Vallejo's Adobe ranch house up against the foothills of Sonoma Mountain back in the late 19th century?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

edlada

quality posts: 3 Private Messages edlada
rpm wrote:I have had both of these wines - loved them - and am buying 3x.

I am laying down some wine at my daughter's house in Ohio (fortunately for me Ohio is almost always on the short list of shipping states) in anticipation of my visit in summer 2015 with my German wine friend. I wasn't going to bite on this one and then I see the dreaded "RPM seal of approval ©". Sigh. I'm hitting the big yellow button.

My dogs like me, that is important.

mikefaulk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikefaulk

These are awesome wines at a great deal!!! Clark Smith (who works closely with Dave Noyes) and I are in for some!!! Support our winemaker friends y'all!!! This is good juice you will not be disappointed. :-)

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
mikefaulk wrote:These are awesome wines at a great deal!!! Clark Smith (who works closely with Dave Noyes) and I are in for some!!! Support our winemaker friends y'all!!! This is good juice you will not be disappointed. :-)

Darn it, I can no longer resist... in for a set!

Last wooter to woot: chipgreen

dnwines

The most prominent old vineyard in the area would probably be the Fountain Grove Winery at the North end of Santa Rosa...you can see the 'Round Barn' from Mendocino Ave & Fountaingrove Parkway...originally planted in the 1880's and producing until the 1930's--at least that what I picked up from a quick google.

Of course Sonoma Valley has a number of old vineyards, mostly zin, dating from the late 1800's many still in production, & Sebastiani claims the oldest vineyard site, the 'Town Vineyard' planted originally for the Mission.

dnwines

Thanks, Mike!

dnwines

edlada wrote:I am laying down some wine at my daughter's house in Ohio (fortunately for me Ohio is almost always on the short list of shipping states) in anticipation of my visit in summer 2015 with my German wine friend. I wasn't going to bite on this one and then I see the dreaded "RPM seal of approval ©". Sigh. I'm hitting the big yellow button.

Great dogs...and good taste in wine!

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz
dnwines wrote:Thanks, Mike!

Any chance we will see your zins on here?

"The older I get the better I was"

dnwines

losthighwayz wrote:Any chance we will see your zins on here?

Well, maybe...not for a while though

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
klezman wrote:Now why you have to go and say that??

OK, I'll take a split with somebody.

I'm going in for two sets. You can get a bottle each when you roll through town for the tour if you want.

klezman

trifecta wrote:I'm going in for two sets. You can get a bottle each when you roll through town for the tour if you want.

Sweet.

Pookie1953

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pookie1953
dnwines wrote:A great deal! What was I thinking!

Darn, I missed the sale all SOLD OUT. Good for you I hope.
Nancey NOYES