2009 West Fork Red Wine, Walla Walla Valley
2010 West Fork Red Wine, Walla Walla Valley

Winery website

Previous offer:
3/3/14

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20

Oh good, these are back, and I don't have any funds or space for them. Curses.

CT

toonvox

quality posts: 7 Private Messages toonvox

Got the last Fjellene offering, and I'm glad I did. It's a Walla2 wine we seem to can't get any more. If the last bunch were any indication, they're made by Balboa Winery, also in Walla2's south region. We've only had the South Col Blend and it was pretty velvety. No Syrahs this time around, but as I said then, this is a great and incredibly affordable way to try Walla Walla wines with a nice smattering of Columbia Valley thrown in. You won't regret it.

The beautifully painted bottles are a bonus.

asgjm2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asgjm2

I purchased these the last time they were offered and we really enjoyed all five which is somewhat unusual for a mixed case. I'm in for three this time!

asnyderman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages asnyderman

as a wine professional in Seattle, I'm pretty familiar with a lot of fantastic wines from out here in Washington. I can't say enough good about the wines from Fjellene. I love opening them for guests. The wines are incredibly well made. I'm happy to answer any questions that people might have, if I can. I will certainly say that at this price, you are getting a lot of wine for your money.

asnyderman

toonvox wrote:. If the last bunch were any indication, they're made by Balboa Winery,

The first vintage that Matthew made were assisted greatly by Tom Glase of Balboa Cellars (his wines are also FANTASTIC!!!!!), but Matthew Erlandson is pretty much flying on his own now as the winemaker at Fjellene. Glase still consults, but this is not unusual,as Walla Wall is a tight community, where everyone pretty much helps everyone.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
asnyderman wrote:The first vintage that Matthew made were assisted greatly by Tom Glase of Balboa Cellars (his wines are also FANTASTIC!!!!!), but Matthew Erlandson is pretty much flying on his own now as the winemaker at Fjellene. Glase still consults, but this is not unusual,as Walla Wall is a tight community, where everyone pretty much helps everyone.

On the last offering of this mix in March another winemaker from the area chimed in and said that Fjellene went out of business, that Matthew closed up shop. Not so?

I believe he is consulting on his own and working with Avennia Winery now.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

good day in for 1 plus Sanford & the Benedict 1979 Library Cabernet on woot plus I'm an happy camper

Winedavid39

quality posts: 201 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

These were a nice find. And probably the last time you'll see them for a while.

c2mrdale

quality posts: 1 Private Messages c2mrdale

Second best looking brand identity I ever created... Hate to see these sacrificed this way...

cortot20

c2mrdale wrote:Second best looking brand identity I ever created... Hate to see these sacrificed this way...

What's your number 1?

CT

1080me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 1080me
fredrinaldi wrote:good day in for 1 plus Sanford & the Benedict 1979 Library Cabernet on woot plus I'm an happy camper

Thanks for the heads up ... You can't pass that up. Grabbed two of the 79's and one of the Fjellene orders. Pretty excited for this shipment.

asnyderman

kaolis wrote:On the last offering of this mix in March another winemaker from the area chimed in and said that Fjellene went out of business, that Matthew closed up shop. Not so?

I believe he is consulting on his own and working with Avennia Winery now.

I hadn't heard that Fjellene folded. I don't think that is correct, but A) i could very well be wrong and B) nothing surprises me in the world of wine....i'll look into it. I haven't had to re-order it for a few months, so I'm not sure. Last I heard, Avennia is mostly Chris Peterson, formerly of Delille, but, again, I haven't seen him in about 6 months...

kaolis

Winedavid39 wrote:These were a nice find. And probably the last time you'll see them for a while.

Yep, purchased from both the previous offers, contemplating another one here. I've only tried three of the wines so far but nice bang for the buck.

kmccarty006

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmccarty006
Winedavid39 wrote:These were a nice find. And probably the last time you'll see them for a while.

If this is true, then that is sad. I was able to get in on the last offer and so far these have all been amazing at this price point. In for 3 in case this truly is the last time!

skeeze666

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skeeze666

Got in on this last time and loved every bottle. Picked up 2 orders this time and am really going to try and hold on to them a bit longer this time.

cortot20

Maybe I'll open a bottle from the other mixed offer and see if I should break my SIWBM for these.

CT

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

Have loved all of the Walla Walla reds I've tried. Based on comments from this and previous offering it appears these will be in my wheelhouse. In for two.

kaolis

cortot20 wrote:Maybe I'll open a bottle from the other mixed offer and see if I should break my SIWBM for these.

Drinkin' early! I love it..maybe I'll join you.

cortot20

kaolis wrote:Drinkin' early! I love it..maybe I'll join you.

I was thinking dinner but whatever floats your boat. I'm doing bbqed hot Italian sausages sandwiches with sautéed peppers and onions. The 10' Malbec or Syrah? Thoughts?

CT

kaolis

cortot20 wrote:I was thinking dinner but whatever floats your boat. I'm doing bbqed hot Italian sausages sandwiches with sautéed peppers and onions. The 10' Malbec or Syrah? Thoughts?

Haven't had either, but my gut says syrah, especially with the spice/heat you have going on. Actually I have a malbec standing up I'm going to throw a grilled ribeye at tonight.

Teefant

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Teefant

went in for 2. This is losthighwayz using my alias...damn you wine woot. two accounts is not a good thing.

toonvox

quality posts: 7 Private Messages toonvox
asnyderman wrote:I hadn't heard that Fjellene folded. I don't think that is correct, but A) i could very well be wrong and B) nothing surprises me in the world of wine....i'll look into it. I haven't had to re-order it for a few months, so I'm not sure. Last I heard, Avennia is mostly Chris Peterson, formerly of Delille, but, again, I haven't seen him in about 6 months...

Sad, but true. The tasting room is vacant and has some empty boxes scattered behind the front door. We live in WW, and the south region wineries are our favorites. Fjellene closed last fall and never reopened.

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl
kaolis wrote:Haven't had either, but my gut says syrah, especially with the spice/heat you have going on. Actually I have a malbec standing up I'm going to throw a grilled ribeye at tonight.

Interesting that you both bring up the Malbec. Previous to the other night, I'd only tried one Malbec ever (2009 Coppola Diamond Blue Collection), and was far from impressed.

With some hesitation I broke out the bottle of Fjellene Malbec to pair with lasagna (I've purchased many of their offerings, and think Fjellene's wines have consistently incredible QPR). To my surprise the Malbec was wonderful. Juicy but not to over the top fruit bomby, no bitterness I'd tasted in the Coppola, great mouth-feel and a nice long finish.
Leave it to Fjellene to make a great bottle of wine from a varietal I'd previously not liked!
I'm in for 2 (would buy more, but have nearly 2 cases already).

kaolis

I absolutely hate buying stuff this time of year, "summer shipping" or not...bit for one more anyway. Let's hope it works.

hokiedevil

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hokiedevil

+1 on the positive reviews. We purchased both packs in the past and have really enjoyed everything we have opened so far. Great QPR. Would be in for more but can't bear the thought of putting this great juice through the Texas heat.

hcnate

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hcnate

Haven't had it yet, but bought a variety of the stuff the last few times it has come up. Call me a Walla Walla sucker. In for one.

jnfr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jnfr

+1 from us as well. I bought one last time and it was excellent: smooth, full-bodied without being tannic or tart, a rich flavor, you can taste the fruit but nothing jammy. Happy to pick up another one.

mneeley490

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mneeley490

I took a leap of faith and bought 1. Had never heard of them before, and I usually think of myself as knowledgeble about Washington wineries. Now that I've opened one, I truely wish that I had bought more.