sdilullo

quality posts: 38 Private Messages sdilullo

Hey there fellow Wooters!

I'm in Rochester for work this week and my wife's joining me Saturday morning. We're headed to Syracuse that evening but I thought it might be fun to take the scenic route.

Ideally, we'll have time to visit 2-3 wineries that afternoon, depending on drive time and how late they're open. I can obviously search The Google and Yelp and whatnot, but I thought it would be smart to pick your brains as well. I did find this old thread earlier while searching.

We tend to prefer dry reds (we love Noceto, Scott Harvey, Wellington, Meeker, et. al.) and don't really drink sweet / dessert wines. That said, I'd be up for visiting any winery that receives high praise from you folks.

So... any suggestions?

Please and thanks!

P.S. Apologies in advance if I don't reply back much - it's been a hectic week.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 282
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

sdilullo

These are a few names that keep rising to the top - Dr. Frank, Wiemer, Red Newt, Fox Run, and (change of pace) the Finger Lakes Distillery.

I've put together a little map of what I've gathered so far:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zwQgO7yWGpgw.klEpzfiRNHJg

my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
sdilullo wrote:These are a few names that keep rising to the top - Dr. Frank, Wiemer, Red Newt, Fox Run, and (change of pace) the Finger Lakes Distillery.

I've put together a little map of what I've gathered so far:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zwQgO7yWGpgw.klEpzfiRNHJg

Yes, Dr. Frank's! World class Rieslings and be sure to try the Old Vines Pinot Noir. Also recommend the Meritage and the Gruner Veltliner.

Haven't been to Fox Run but have heard good things about it. New York reds are not all that different from Ohio reds, which is to say that, unfortunately, there are not a lot of good choices - especially for dry reds (although d-dog and/or bahwm might have something to say about that since they live nearby and have much more extensive knowledge of the area and its wines than I).

In general there are some good Cab Francs, Chambourcins and a handful of decent Merlots and Meritage blends in the area. I think the Cab Franc stands head and shoulders above the other NY reds.

The best thing about the Finger Lakes is the Riesling and the white wines in general, so hope you can find some that you like. The Riesling stands out as the top white much like the Cab Franc does for reds but a few others you might consider trying - Vignoles is one of my favorites as well as Cayuga White, Vidal Blanc and Seyval Blanc.

EDIT to add that Hunt Country Vineyards is a Woot-friendly winery and they have a few dry reds. If you ask for Jim Alsina and tell him you're a wooter, he will give you a personal tour of the facilities.

Also, Bully Hill is a fun winery to visit. Especially if you can catch the free tour. The late founder/owner was quite a character and his artwork is featured throughout the winery and on some of the labels. They offer an "irreverent" tasting experience and have a huge selection of wines, a number of which are dry reds. They also have a nice little restaurant on the premises and an incredible view.

sdilullo

chipgreen wrote:In general there are some good Cab Francs, Chambourcins and a handful of decent Merlots and Meritage blends in the area. I think the Cab Franc stands head and shoulders above the other NY reds.

The best thing about the Finger Lakes is the Riesling and the white wines in general, so hope you can find some that you like. The Riesling stands out as the top white much like the Cab Franc does for reds but a few others you might consider trying - Vignoles is one of my favorites as well as Cayuga White, Vidal Blanc and Seyval Blanc.

Yep, I'm all for trying what the region's known for... and we definitely enjoy some rieslings, especially the dry ones - love Jana's.

Just figured we'd try and sample a red or two that's risen to the top of the regional heap if possible. Sounds like we should be able to find a good cab franc or pinot noir.

As much as I'd love to visit Dr. Frank's we may have to skip since it's kind of out of the way. Either that, or we go there and skip Fox Run / Wiemer. Still figuring out the logistics...

Thanks for the wealth of good information as usual, sir!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
sdilullo wrote:Yep, I'm all for trying what the region's known for... and we definitely enjoy some rieslings, especially the dry ones - love Jana's.

Just figured we'd try and sample a red or two that's risen to the top of the regional heap if possible. Sounds like we should be able to find a good cab franc or pinot noir.

As much as I'd love to visit Dr. Frank's we may have to skip since it's kind of out of the way. Either that, or we go there and skip Fox Run / Wiemer. Still figuring out the logistics...

One of the wooters used to work at Fox Run. When he was there, we were able to get a nice tour from him. Just down the road from them is Anthony Road. German winemaker. I really like their Reisling, and a quick stop from Fox Run if you have just a little extra time.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
sdilullo wrote:Yep, I'm all for trying what the region's known for... and we definitely enjoy some rieslings, especially the dry ones - love Jana's.

Alas, I think you're right about Dr. Frank being out of the way. Given the limitations of your time frame, I'd take the Geneva exit off I-90, and stay on the West side of Seneca Lake. Head straight down NY-14 to Wiemer, then head back north. Stop in at Shaw Vineyard, just a stone's throw away. Both of those places offer both Cab Franc and Pinot Noir as well as the typical Finger Lakes whites, but I think Weimer's Riesling is tough to beat. Take PB's suggestion and check out Anthony Road and/or Fox Run on the way back north, depending on how much time you have. From Fox Run, you should be able to get to Syracuse in less than an hour and a half, depending on where in Syracuse.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
ddeuddeg wrote:Alas, I think you're right about Dr. Frank being out of the way. Given the limitations of your time frame, I'd take the Geneva exit off I-90, and stay on the West side of Seneca Lake. Head straight down NY-14 to Wiemer, then head back north. Stop in at Shaw Vineyard, just a stone's throw away. Both of those places offer both Cab Franc and Pinot Noir as well as the typical Finger Lakes whites, but I think Weimer's Riesling is tough to beat. Take PB's suggestion and check out Anthony Road and/or Fox Run on the way back north, depending on how much time you have. From Fox Run, you should be able to get to Syracuse in less than an hour and a half, depending on where in Syracuse.

I think you were telling me about how good Weimer's Riesling is when we hooked up in Wooster. Definitely adding it, Fox Run, Anthony Road & Shaw to my wish list for the next time I'm out that way.

ddeuddeg

chipgreen wrote:I think you were telling me about how good Weimer's Riesling is when we hooked up in Wooster. Definitely adding it, Fox Run, Anthony Road & Shaw to my wish list for the next time I'm out that way.

Especially when time is limited, that's a good plan, because they're all within about a 12 mile stretch on NY-14.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm

Oh, and don't forget there's the most excellent outlet mall at the Geneva exit! Love that place!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom
chipgreen wrote:I think you were telling me about how good Weimer's Riesling is when we hooked up in Wooster. Definitely adding it, Fox Run, Anthony Road & Shaw to my wish list for the next time I'm out that way.

Wiemer's Cab Franc is worth seeking out.

Another ex-Woot winery that IIRC would not be too far out of the way is Swedish Hill. They had a red blend in the mix I bought here that I thought at the time was very good. Optimum, or something like that. That was several years ago -- wonder if I would still like it. Guess I'll have to get back up there and taste some wines!

ddeuddeg

InFrom wrote:Wiemer's Cab Franc is worth seeking out.

Another ex-Woot winery that IIRC would not be too far out of the way is Swedish Hill. They had a red blend in the mix I bought here that I thought at the time was very good. Optimum, or something like that. That was several years ago -- wonder if I would still like it. Guess I'll have to get back up there and taste some wines!

Optimus, a Bordeaux style blend. Don't think I've had that one. Seems like an omission that should be corrected. A bit out of the way for this trip, though, halfway down Seneca Lake.

sdilullo

Thanks for all the awesome tips, everyone! As is usually the case, we've got a list much longer than we can pull off in one day but I'll see what we can do. Might take the scenic route home on Monday and stop at some more if time allows, too.

On a serendipitous note, a friend/coworker gave me a bottle of Dr. Frank's this evening. So at least we'll get a taste!

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom
ddeuddeg wrote:Optimus, a Bordeaux style blend. Don't think I've had that one. Seems like an omission that should be corrected. A bit out of the way for this trip, though, halfway down Seneca Lake.

Ah, I hadn't remembered it being that far down, but it's definitely been a while.

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

If you are staying on the seneca lake, hit up Prejean (near fox run) they have some of the best gewertzemeiners, and rieslings. If you do want to make it over to Keuka Lake (about 20 min from prejean), Keuka Springs has won some prestigious awards for both their reds and whites including the governor's cup. There is a local coffee roaster on keuka lake as well if you are interested.

ddeuddeg

tiger7610 wrote:If you are staying on the seneca lake, hit up Prejean (near fox run) they have some of the best gewertzemeiners, and rieslings. If you do want to make it over to Keuka Lake (about 20 min from prejean), Keuka Springs has won some prestigious awards for both their reds and whites including the governor's cup. There is a local coffee roaster on keuka lake as well if you are interested.

But the trip was yesterday.

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
ddeuddeg wrote:But the trip was yesterday.

I realized that after I posted. I was out of the computer land on friday

sdilullo

tiger7610 wrote:I realized that after I posted. I was out of the computer land on friday

No worries. Trip was great.

Detailed report/notes forthcoming!