MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of June 23.

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
June
6/28: SoCal unofficial gathering - cal Phil on the green 6/28 aka SoCal 33.5
TBD: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn

July
7/5: Denver #5: VIP Visitors
7/19 or 7/26: SoCal #34 Irvine Wine Locker Raid

August
August 4-6: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread
August 23: NoVA #30: It's Pool Time Again - August 23rd

Summer
TBD: MN#?: Coming out of hibernation...
TBD: SoCal #3?: San Diego/Lakeside

Pending
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm

Happy Monday! It's the last Monday of my school year!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cortot20

quality posts: 162 Private Messages cortot20

SoCal cal Phil on the green gathering this Saturday, click here for info in you want to join us. http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5775650

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:Happy Monday! It's the last Monday of my school year!

yippie!!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Not another pub-killer day. How about this for a brief diversion.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

Then there's this. Suitable for work but not for the faint of heart.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

mommadeb1

ddeuddeg wrote:Then there's this. Suitable for work but not for the faint of heart.

scary!

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
ddeuddeg wrote:Then there's this. Suitable for work but not for the faint of heart.

So better or worse than places you've had to drive?

ddeuddeg

mother wrote:So better or worse than places you've had to drive?

The Pacific Coast Highway has some interesting spots, but that was in a car. Driving a 25 ton bus through the Rockies from Denver was pretty exciting the first time. Worst ever was entering Yosemite National Park at Tioga Pass, just over 10,000 feet elevation, and descending over a mile to Yosemite Village. Even running the whole distance in first gear, I had to use the brakes enough that you could smell that they were badly overheated when we got out. Had to use the center of the road to clear some of the underpasses, glad nobody was coming the other way. The following year, the State of California banned those 45 foot buses from that road, among others. But never saw anything like that Himalaya video.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
bahwm wrote:Happy Monday! It's the last Monday of my school year!

Starting next week, I'll have three classes.

Also, response to your PM and the party planning coming soon. Trying to figure out camping dates.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

Strange to see a woot off that does not include wine... beginning of a trend?

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to Nallie and NeilFindsWine!!

Happy Birthday to Nallie and NeilFindsWine!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

MarkDaSpark

trifecta wrote:Strange to see a woot off that does not include wine... beginning of a trend?

I guess neilfindswine took his birthday off and didn't find enough wine!

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
trifecta wrote:Strange to see a woot off that does not include wine... beginning of a trend?

With RPM coming up, a welcome one.

And a HB to Nallie and Neil.

CT

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:I guess neilfindswine took his birthday off and didn't find enough wine!

Maybe he kept what wine he found for a birthday present! happy birthday Neil!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Guess who's back, back again? Matt is back, tell a friend.

I'm sure this will get mod'd but the founder of the site we all enjoy wasting time on is back and you can search him out on that place where kicks start.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:Guess who's back, back again? Matt is back, tell a friend.

I'm sure this will get mod'd but the founder of the site we all enjoy wasting time on is back and you can search him out on that place where kicks start.

All I can say is ... Meh.

mommadeb1

just found out the house we were going to rent in D.C for next week got cancelled! GRRRRRR...now it is time to scramble and end up paying more for something!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

mommadeb1 wrote:Maybe he kept what wine he found for a birthday present! happy birthday Neil!

why, thank you... (you too Sparky and Ron). neilhoardswine

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

bahwm

Happy b-day, Neil! Been busy all day with administering final exams for my department! Hope you are having a great day!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Pretty ironic that's he's on kickstarter which only accepts Amazon Payments....

As the Sharks would say, "I'm Out".

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom

How did you hear about it? And did you fund him?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
InFrom wrote:How did you hear about it? And did you fund him?

Corrados fault of course and of course I did. Nostalgia and all.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bahwm

It's been an extremely tough week, starting the middle of last week when our former organist/choir director for 20 years was admitted to one of our local Hospice facilities. Bridget Dick Blesnuk passed away on Friday at the age of 43 of breast cancer. She fought a good fight and was determined to beat this dreaded disease, but it became more aggressive and then drug resistant. We are good friends with her Mom & Dad and I've known her aunt & uncle since my high school days! As Uncle Charlie said last night, "Outside of family, you're the person here that I've known for the longest time!" (Did I mention "long time friend".)

The family held the wake from 1 - 8 on Monday in our church. People were waiting out the door to get in. We sang for a prayer service at 8 PM. Her funeral was last night at St. Joseph's Cathedral, Buffalo. There were well over 1000 people in attendance with 30 priests and the Bishop in celebrating her life. There were around 75 people singing in the choir loft along with a flute, cello, oboe, trumpet, organ and piano.

This song, that we sang at her funeral, was the motto by which she lived her life:

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
bahwm wrote:It's been an extremely tough week, starting the middle of last week when our former organist/choir director for 20 years was admitted to of of our local Hospice facilities. Bridget (See (See Dick and Jane run.) and Jane run.) Blesnuk passed away on Friday at the age of 43 of breast cancer. She fought a good fight and was determined to beat this dreaded disease, but it became more aggressive and then drug resistant. We are good friends with her Mom & Dad and I've known her aunt & uncle since my high school days! As Uncle Charlie said last night, "Outside of family, you're the person here that I've known for the longest time!" (Did I mention "long time friend".)

The family held the wake from 1 - 8 on Monday in our church. People were waiting out the door to get in. We sang for a prayer service at 8 PM. Her funeral was last night at St. Joseph's Cathedral, Buffalo. There were well over 1000 people in attendance with 30 priests and the Bishop in celebrating her life. There were around 75 people singing in the choir loft along with a flute, cello, oboe, trumpet, organ and piano.

This song, that we sang at her funeral, was the motto by which she lived her life:

So sorry to hear about your losses. Hopefully your upcoming travels will help with the healing process.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
joelsisk wrote:So sorry to hear about your losses. Hopefully your upcoming travels will help with the healing process.

+1

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bahwm

Exam grading day in progress. Clumsy husband trying to edit my post resulting in duplicate post.

ddeuddeg

Just found an interesting article on lower alcohol wines.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda
ddeuddeg wrote:Just found an interesting article on lower alcohol wines.

So they're messing around with the yeast strain, to produce less alcohol for the same starting sugar.

First thought is - How will that change the perceived flavor/feel of the wine? But then the second thought, is that brewers/winemakers are always tinkering with different yeasts, so what's the big deal?

My final thought, is W-T-Feck? Why can't the wine makers just learn to pick a little sooner, and make better wine with what they have? Lazy sots!

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
MarkDaSpark wrote:All I can say is ... Meh.

F_ukubukuro!

To the mods: this is not an attempt to get a dirty sounding word on the boards. Google it, SFW!

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

InFrom

merbill wrote:F_ukubukuro!

To the mods: this is not an attempt to get a dirty sounding word on the boards. Google it, SFW!

Reminds me of something, just can't place it...

Bags containing nothing but unwanted items are known colloquially as fu_kōbukuro ("misfortune bags") or utsubukuro ("depressing bags"), and some stores which have nothing good to offer inside actually name their bags this and offer them at extremely low prices (such as 500-1000 yen).

Oh Woot filter, sorry I had to circumvent you!

(When 2 people love each other…)ōbukuro

InFrom

joelsisk wrote:So sorry to hear about your losses. Hopefully your upcoming travels will help with the healing process.

+1

Both services must have been amazing. Hope they provided you and her other loved ones with some comfort.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
InFrom wrote:Oh Woot filter, sorry I had to circumvent you!

(When 2 people love each other…)ōbukuro

wait, did I miss a Babies on Cribs

bahwm

joelsisk wrote:wait, did I miss a Babies on Cribs

Hmmmm, was that when the Pub wouldn't load? Back to work for me. . . Progress is being made.

InFrom

Not exactly. Last night bowtie posted about Matt Rutledge's kickstarter campaign for his new, deal-a-day site. (I know! How did he come up with that idea?) Sponsors who kick in at least $10 are promised a bag of -- you know. No flying monkeys, but a really ugly troll.

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Exam grading day in progress. Clumsy husband trying to edit my post resulting in duplicate post.

hugs, sorry for your loss.

MarkDaSpark

Yes ... but they only had it on Facebook. At like 6 in the morning!!!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
InFrom wrote:+1

Both services must have been amazing. Hope they provided you and her other loved ones with some comfort.

+1

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:hugs, sorry for your loss.

Thanks, guys! I'm glad that I took today off from school so that I could actually get work done! I was a real mess for part of the morning. ddeuddeg was able to help me with a lot of the recording of exam part info. At 1:47 AM I finally typed in my last comment. In the AM, I'll have to double check on a few sloppy copies to see if the kids actually wrote anything else or not and then, input that info.