WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: We've reached an IPA critical mass.
  • 62.6% - This statement is true. Give it a rest, brewers. 560
  • 34.6% - This statement is false. There can never be enough. 310
  • 2.8% - I have more to say in the comments section of your fine website. 25
895 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Not true.
A great IPA (or double IPA) is something to be enjoyed! I love the hop!
Of course, I like porters, pilsners, ambers etc.......
I like all beers....

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

The Golden Age of Brewing!
Love it!

Ah, the hell with it.

ornulu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ornulu

Came back from Central Market with 3 6 packs - of which 2 were IPAs. Also forgot that I already had one at home. It was beer week at CM and I felt I was supposed to lie that yes, we're having a party, no, it's not just me...

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

IPA's are just one of many types of beer gaining in popularity over the last 10 years. I wouldn't single them out as over produced. If anything is overproduced it's the cheap corn lagers that the big breweries try and call beer.

CT

deckerbrian

quality posts: 18 Private Messages deckerbrian

After my full conversion to wine drinking I'll have to say that I can take or leave any beer except a good Belgian Ale.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

I think we will look back on this era of IPA's similarly to the California Chardonnay's of the 80's. There are still some producers of this style and it has it's place, but at some point not *everyone* will be doing it.

I like a hop bomb every now and again, but generally prefer more balanced styles.

DrHardcrab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DrHardcrab

I have been brewing for almost 30 years. I have turned into a hophead. Can never get enough. Lately I have discovered that I do not enjoy beers that enjoyed a little over a year ago. Now I am thinking I have become like "rats on crack". I crave more and more and my taste buds have been hopped out. Methinks my next batch is going to be a triple Belgium and try to ease off of the hops...

danrennoldson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danrennoldson

I like IPA so much that I named my 2 year old Great Dane Ipa

cappomutato

quality posts: 19 Private Messages cappomutato

IPA's are easy and boring. "Let's make a beer that tastes gross!"... enough already. Also, enough with the five packs of wine for $70. It's like you've forgotten what it's like to be in St. Louis with the ability to grab a good case at Globe Drug for $30. The original Woot Cellars would be ashamed to call you Monkey.

yay taco

DivineAna

quality posts: 9 Private Messages DivineAna

I like IPAs, but I think brewers should give it a rest. In addition to IPAs, I also like some variety. How about a nice farmhouse ale, or a rye?

Funkthulhu

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Funkthulhu

Cat-piss and Christmas Trees. . .

I wouldn't mind the hops if I ever found a beer with enough malt to support it. This hop-bomb thing has to stop.

Also, we're polling about beer, but still not selling it on Woot?!?

"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'Lomaha wgah'nagl wootagn"*

*In his house in Omaha, Funkthulhu is Wooting. . .

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

IPAs have *destroyed* good brewing and beer culture in the US.

It's all about "how much alpha acid can I get in this bottle" with zero concern for balance or nuance.

It's so bad that even when a brewery makes non-IPAs they're loaded with completely wrong tasting and smelling new world hops. Try going to a brewpub and asking for a beer made exclusively with noble hops, I dare you.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that people have gone overboard with hops. Sometimes you can't get past the hops and taste anything else in a beer, which makes me wonder if there really is anything else of note in some of them. Quit with the arms race already.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

rtwesterlund

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rtwesterlund

I don't think it's just IPAs, it's ALL kinds of pale ales. I feel like all I can find when I go to buy beer is pale ales, which is frustrating since I'm a stout/porter fan.

HOWEVER, last Friday when I was out with my friends, I tried a black pale ale from the Bronx Brewery. It was VERY interesting and I really enjoyed it. If you can find it (not sure how national Bronx is), I'd highly recommend trying it.

mother

rtwesterlund wrote:I don't think it's just IPAs, it's ALL kinds of pale ales. I feel like all I can find when I go to buy beer is pale ales, which is frustrating since I'm a stout/porter fan.

HOWEVER, last Friday when I was out with my friends, I tried a black pale ale from the Bronx Brewery. It was VERY interesting and I really enjoyed it. If you can find it (not sure how national Bronx is), I'd highly recommend trying it.

Which is basically just a porter that someone totally ruined with shitloads of new world hops? ;)

kahluabomb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kahluabomb

There's a brewery in town that just opened that has the most balanced and incredible IPA i've ever had.

I'm an adamant gtfo over the top hop beer guy. I think it's ridiculous to make a beer as bitter as possible and attempt to call it good. When your beer is so astringent from the 16 different hops you put in it, it's undrinkable.

This IPA though, great hoppy smell, mellow balanced taste that doesn't dry your mouth out or make you feel like you need to brush your teeth.

Other than that, IPA's need to calm the (When 2 people love each other…) down. Make beer balanced.

BobInFla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobInFla

SmilingBoognish

mother wrote:IPAs have *destroyed* good brewing and beer culture in the US.

I think you are going a bit overboard there, it is a great time to be a beer lover in the U.S. Sure, almost everybody makes an over the top hop bomb, but there are also lots of other interesting things going on in beer culture. At least where I live (SF Bay Area). My local brew pub makes incredibly interesting and diverse brews that are very far removed from the ever present hop bombs. A few examples are:
Stout made with oyster shells,
Saison, Kolsch and they are often experimenting with botanical brews using all sorts of herbs which can be incredibly refreshing.

mother

SmilingBoognish wrote:I think you are going a bit overboard there, it is a great time to be a beer lover in the U.S. Sure, almost everybody makes an over the top hop bomb, but there are also lots of other interesting things going on in beer culture. At least where I live (SF Bay Area). My local brew pub makes incredibly interesting and diverse brews that are very far removed from the ever present hop bombs. A few examples are:
Stout made with oyster shells,
Saison, Kolsch and they are often experimenting with botanical brews using all sorts of herbs which can be incredibly refreshing.

Can you can get a single beer there made exclusively with the appropriate hops?

And I disagree- it's a sad time to be a beer lover in the US. With the exception of imports I can hardly ever find properly hopped beer. Not only does everyone use inappropriate hops for style, they almost always overhop (hops are meant to be just enough to balance the malt sweetness in a beer). This gets worse the farther west you travel. So while not as sad as the period between prohibition and Sam Adams, it's not nearly as good as the period between Sam Adams and this IPA stupidity.

SmilingBoognish

mother wrote:Can you can get a single beer there made exclusively with the appropriate hops?

That is a laughably subjective statement. But I will answer by saying that I bet even you would find a beer there that you would enjoy...if you like beer.

mother

SmilingBoognish wrote:That is a laughably subjective statement. But I will answer by saying that I bet even you would find a beer there that you would enjoy...if you like beer.

No it's rather objective actually.

A "Stout" (which is today what in the olde times would have been a "Strong Dark Porter"**) is made with East Kent Goldings, or perhaps Fuggle and only one start of boil addition (strictly for bittering, there should be 0 hop aroma).

Edit: ** strong porter, not strong dark porter, sorry...

SmilingBoognish

You sound awfully picky, which is OK I guess. What beers do you actually like? I've always been more a fan of beers that tend towards malty sweetness, we probably have some common ground when it comes to beer. A couple of my favorite styles are doppel bock and Scotch Ale.

In the introduction of my first homebrewer's book it said something like, "There is no such thing as bad beer, some are just better than others. The same cannot be said of wine." I'm not sure I 100% agree with the statement, but I do agree with its spirit.

mother

SmilingBoognish wrote:You sound awfully picky, which is OK I guess. What beers do you actually like? I've always been more a fan of beers that tend towards malty sweetness, we probably have some common ground when it comes to beer. A couple of my favorite styles are doppel bock and Scotch Ale.

In the introduction of my first homebrewer's book it said something like, "There is no such thing as bad beer, some are just better than others. The same cannot be said of wine." I'm not sure I 100% agree with the statement, but I do agree with its spirit.

My favorite individual style has to be Alt beer. Almost nobody in the US makes this style, and the few that are made I enjoy but they are not that true to style. As a generalization I tend to gravitate to amber-ish beers that use lots of munich malt which is known for leaving a strong residual maltiness. (A Doppelbock uses lots of Munich malt!) This usually means an IBU in the 30-45 range. Most current american beer use pale malts which are more efficient (read: cheaper) with specialty grains which have lots of unfermentable sugars instead.

Scotch ales I'll happily drink, but I'd like more body and alcohol in general. I also like things liek New Belgium's Fat Tire, even though its all new world hops.

For a light beer I'm a big fan of real Czech* style Pilsners. Unfortunately a light lager like that is exceptionally sensitive to the correct hops, and the Pilsners made in the US universally blow chunks. The Saaz hops are very prominent portion of the experience, and you can't simple pretend it's a pale ale.

To go back to a previous conversation: If you run across Hobgobolin from Wychwood you should try it- that is what typically English hops taste like. (Though it's more on the biscuity than malty side). I find beers like that far more interesting than a pine baugh to the nose ( Cascade/Columbus/Willamette aroma hops) followed by a shot of that stuff they make to keep kids from biting their fingernails (Tomahawk/Magnum/etc. bittering hops) ;)

*Pilsner is named after Plzeň in modern day Czech Republic, so it should be as redundant to call a pilsner "Czech style" as it would be to call an Oktoberfest "German style"...

blake314

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blake314

There can never be enough of any type of beer!