J. Ludlow Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 6-Pack
$58.99 $124.00 52% off List Price
2008 "Jigsaw" Santa Ynez Valley Sauvignon Blanc
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen

quality posts: 180 Private Messages chipgreen

2008 J Ludlow Sauvignon Blanc

I sampled this wine yesterday. Unfortunately, the bottle was flawed. There was seepage over halfway up the cork and the wine smelled and tasted oxidized.

It was still drinkable initially. No fruit to speak of, some grassiness with baker's yeast, light minerality and spice on the tart finish. It went downhill quickly with air and was undrinkable after being vacu-vin'd and refrigerated overnight.

Hopefully someone else got to try this as well and can provide notes from an unflawed bottle....

This wine received a score of 86 from Wine Enthusiast on 5/1/2012. Here's what they wrote about it;
"This is a good, everyday Sauvignon Blanc. It’s sweet and jammy in pineapples, grapefruits, peaches and tangerines, brightened with crisp acidity."

jrb11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrb11

The Ludlow website says this was in barrels for 6 months, compared to 5 in the Woot description. Not sure how much of a difference this makes, but just wanted to point out the discrepancy.

Anyone have an idea of the drinking window of this wine?

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson

It was a hot and muggy day in Chi-town. The air was thick enough to cut it with a knife. Around the corner screamed the wheels of a truck. No, wait, that was a monkey's scream. He flipped me a box and I knew I was in for a tasting. Inside the box was a 2008 J. Ludlow SB. Hmmm. Now +1 and I do not drink many white wines, but in the summer we do.

I planned on a simple salad to pair with this wine. Baby lettuces, green pepper, shallots, tomatoes, avocado, mandarin oranges, grilled lemon chicken and wonton crumbles, topped with an asian-ginger dressing.

Upon Pnp, the wine revealed a very pale yellow tint with clinging legs to the glass. The smell is citrus, pineapple and a very little bit of banana. Now for the taste. Crisp, citrus-y and a nice feel/coating on the tongue. The front and mid-palate are very nice, but the finish is a little tart. BTW, I had chilled this in the fridge prior to opening, so it went down very well while dining on the deck last night. We drank this throughout the meal and it was a very nice pairing. The acidity of the wine matched that of the mandarin oranges, lemon chicken and dressing. The longer the wine sat opened, the more the finish tasted like pineapple.

Seeing today's price, I don't think you can go wrong for $10 a bottle.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz
jmdavidson wrote:It was a hot and muggy day in Chi-town. The air was thick enough to cut it with a knife. Around the corner screamed the wheels of a truck. No, wait, that was a monkey's scream. He flipped me a box and I knew I was in for a tasting. Inside the box was a 2008 J. Ludlow SB. Hmmm. Now +1 and I do not drink many white wines, but in the summer we do.

I planned on a simple salad to pair with this wine. Baby lettuces, green pepper, shallots, tomatoes, avocado, mandarin oranges, grilled lemon chicken and wonton crumbles, topped with an asian-ginger dressing.

Upon Pnp, the wine revealed a very pale yellow tint with clinging legs to the glass. The smell is citrus, pineapple and a very little bit of banana. Now for the taste. Crisp, citrus-y and a nice feel/coating on the tongue. The front and mid-palate are very nice, but the finish is a little tart. BTW, I had chilled this in the fridge prior to opening, so it went down very well while dining on the deck last night. We drank this throughout the meal and it was a very nice pairing. The acidity of the wine matched that of the mandarin oranges, lemon chicken and dressing. The longer the wine sat opened, the more the finish tasted like pineapple.

Seeing today's price, I don't think you can go wrong for $10 a bottle.

Thanks for the review. Any sweetness, perceived or otherwise? Grassiness? Did it have thaT SB zipping acidity? Thanks

"The older I get the better I was"

jmdavidson

losthighwayz wrote:Thanks for the review. Any sweetness, perceived or otherwise? Grassiness? Did it have thaT SB zipping acidity? Thanks

No sweetness. This is a little on the fruity side. No grassiness. Crisp. Refreshing when cold. Moderate acidity.

asgjm2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asgjm2

It looks like this sat in oak for 5/6 months. Any woody impact from that? I'm all about sauv blanc's but when they start tasting like american chardonnay, roussanne, etc I cry a little bit.

jmdavidson

asgjm2 wrote:It looks like this sat in oak for 5/6 months. Any woody impact from that? I'm all about sauv blanc's but when they start tasting like american chardonnay, roussanne, etc I cry a little bit.

No oakiness detected. Not at all like an oaky chard.

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

Info post:
All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wineing.

CT