racephoto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages racephoto

Hi all, I'm here in Northern VA getting ready to seriously downsize my life & the 240 bottle of wine (99% of it bought here) needs to go. I can and will keep maybe 50 bottles but I have to sell most of it. Apparently Craigslist is a no-go and shipping is not possible either. What a headache. The estate sale company that's selling off most of the rest of my stuff was supposed to be looking into options but nothing so far. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Gail

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

In most jurisdictions, selling wine privately is illegal, you need to go through an authorized (licensed) seller. There are a few auction sites that specialize in wine sales. I don't know what sorts of rates they charge, etc. More importantly, if most of your wine is from woot, it's probably not high end, highly sought after, well-known labels. (unless you have all Corison or some of the other black-tie buys) If the auction sites take 30% in fees(or something) and most of your bottles are in the $10-15 range, it may not be worthwhile for you to go that route.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

I've purchased wine offered for sale on Craig's list.

CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
rjquillin wrote:I've purchased wine offered for sale on Craig's list.

Probably sold as a "Collectible".

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
rjquillin wrote:I've purchased wine offered for sale on Craig's list.

and plenty of people drive over the speed limit. Here is the link to the statutes in Virginia.

§ 4.1-302. Illegal sale of alcoholic beverages in general; penalty.

If any person who is not licensed sells any alcoholic beverages except as permitted by this title, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

In the event of a second or subsequent conviction under this section, a jail sentence of no less than thirty days shall be imposed and in no case be suspended.

(Code 1950, § 4-58; 1952, c. 491; 1984, c. 603; 1993, c. 866.)

rjquillin

North316 wrote:Probably sold as a "Collectible".

A port, multiple bottles.
The one I opened was fine.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

If they are not high end bottles try to sell them locally or friends. If they are high end there are plenty of auction houses.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
joelsisk wrote:

Just sell it someone over statelines and drive it to them.

CT

racephoto

Thanks. It's highly aggravating that it was way easier to sell dad's guns than this wine. I guess I'll figure something out.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Do you have a list of what you have? Were they taken care of? If so, you might find some people interested in some of them.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman

Yeah, post it here and see if there are any takers.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
klezman wrote:Yeah, post it here and see if there are any takers.

Yes, I'm sure there would be at least some interest. I wouldn't mind picking up some Woot Cellars offerings that I may have missed and maybe others as well, depending what's available.

I wouldn't worry too much about shipping. I've shipped wine via USPS Priority and FedEx without a problem and a couple other wooters have shipped wine to me via UPS.

rjquillin

I ship and receive wine frequently as well; FedEx.
Declare as grape juice or vinegar if asked.

CT

mgdsh

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mgdsh

You can try selling via winebid.com

I've presently got about 25 bottles for sale there. They require a minimum valuation of $2,500 but you can always add more bottles later if you'd like.

Favorites: Corison/Helios Cabs/Cab Franc, TyCaton Cab/TyTaniun & Field Blend, Roessler Pinots, Krupp Verasion Synchrony, Kent Rasmussen PS & Titus Lot 1

jrdnmiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrdnmiller

You may be able to sell them to a local wine shop. They will probably pay you about 60% of what they expect to make from it.

racephoto

Thanks for the replies. I pared down quite a bit by giving away some to the guys working on the house, friends, anyone who didn't run fast enough. I brought quite a bit more with me in the Uhaul than I originally planned to. Turns out Bankers Boxes work fairly well for moving wine. I still have a few cases in the basement up in VA....may just leave it for the new owners when it sells.