dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

Later this summer, my wife and I are moving from Connecticut to Los Angeles. What's the best way to ship our wine across the country?

It's about 225 bottles. FedEx, UPS, and USPS doesn't allow personal shipping of wine, even to and from yourself. For a variety of reasons, I really don't want to drive it 3000 miles across the country.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
dsapp wrote:Later this summer, my wife and I are moving from Connecticut to Los Angeles. What's the best way to ship our wine across the country?

It's about 225 bottles. FedEx, UPS, and USPS doesn't allow personal shipping of wine, even to and from yourself. For a variety of reasons, I really don't want to drive it 3000 miles across the country.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

LTL trucking, refrigerated.
Box it and wrap it up on a pallet.
It will be ~1/3 full.

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
dsapp wrote:Later this summer, my wife and I are moving from Connecticut to Los Angeles. What's the best way to ship our wine across the country?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have shipped via UPS by telling them it is samples, etc. But that was a half case to a case. Not close to 20 cases. And it runs over $50/case from CA to CT, so that would be too expensive.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

dsapp

rjquillin wrote:LTL trucking, refrigerated.
Box it and wrap it up on a pallet.
It will be ~1/3 full.

How do I find a LTL carrier that has a refrigerated truck? I know there's this thing called the internet that can help me answer this question, but I'm really unsure where to begin. I have no experience with LTL shipping. Thanks!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
dsapp wrote:How do I find a LTL carrier that has a refrigerated truck? I know there's this thing called the internet that can help me answer this question, but I'm really unsure where to begin. I have no experience with LTL shipping. Thanks!

uship.com

Haven't you ever watched Shipping Wars?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I would just say F it and drink it all before moving.

CT

dsapp

North316 wrote:uship.com

Haven't you ever watched Shipping Wars?

Thanks!

Nope.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
dsapp wrote:How do I find a LTL carrier that has a refrigerated truck? I know there's this thing called the internet that can help me answer this question, but I'm really unsure where to begin. I have no experience with LTL shipping. Thanks!

Google "LTL Shipping" or "Wine moving companies"

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Try DHL and don't tell them what's in it

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

dsapp

I'm going to try the uship suggestion. In doing so, I need to measure and weigh the boxes first in order to get a quote. I'll let you guys know how it works out in case someone else ends up in this same situation.

If it was just a case of wine, I'd probably try DHL or something like that, but I want to be able to insure it and get temperature control.

dsapp

In case anyone is curious, my first quote was $2,638.25

Ouch! For that, I'll drive it across the country myself.

I'll keep searching...

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom

I knew I had seen a similar discussion here. Have you had a look at this?

dsapp

InFrom wrote:I knew I had seen a similar discussion here. Have you had a look at this?

Interesting reading. The links with laws are particularly disturbing since my back-up plan is to drive the wine myself. There's no real way for me not to drive through PA, unfortunately. Let's hope someone on uship.com helps me out. I should know something in about five days.

North316

dsapp wrote:In case anyone is curious, my first quote was $2,638.25

Ouch! For that, I'll drive it across the country myself.

I'll keep searching...

Yeah, the problem is the distance. CT to LA is clear across the country, meaning your package is the main item on any truck and is determining the route (whether LTL or uship). Unless the shipper can pick up multiple loads along their route to defer some of the gas and other charges, you will be the one getting stuck with the brunt of the cost.

My CT

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
dsapp wrote:Interesting reading. The links with laws are particularly disturbing since my back-up plan is to drive the wine myself. There's no real way for me not to drive through PA, unfortunately. Let's hope someone on uship.com helps me out. I should know something in about five days.

I wouldn't worry about it. What's the chances of getting pulled over in PA and the cop knowing that particular law and seeing all the wine in your load. Seems very very minimal.

CT

dsapp

QUICK UPDATE: The lowest quote I've received is $1884 to ship 200 bottles across the country. That includes me boxing it, providing all supplies, and no insurance (I'd have to cover it through my home-owners policy). It is door-to-door in a refrigerated truck at 55 degrees.

Another option. I discovered that if I fly Virgin America from JFK to LAX, I am allowed to have up to 10 check-in suitcases, up to 50 lbs. each. Assuming that 12 bottles of wine weigh about 35 lbs, I may be able to fit 14-15 bottles in each hard-case suitcase, each wrapped carefully in bubble wrap.

I'm pretty sure I can get my 200 bottles down to 145-150 bottles by gifting and heavy drinking over the next five weeks.

The cost for this option: $25 each shipping for 10 suitcases. Plus $50 each for the 10 suitcases (assuming I can find them at Marshalls). Plus about $100 extra for the excess baggage on the airport limo shuttle.

That still saves me about $1000, plus I get my wine there in one day, not 2-3 weeks. It will be a ROYAL PAIN to handle ten, 50 lb suitcases all by myself in JFK and LAX. My wife will pick me up at the airport.

What do you guys think? Is this insane?

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
dsapp wrote:What do you guys think? Is this insane?

Aren't we all?
When I went to France years ago, I got a very cheap metal foot locker style container that easily held 18 bottles. Each bottle in a plastic bag, then wrapped in newspaper with aerosol can foam-in-place insulation, the non-expanding type. All arrived intact; Toulouse to San Diego.

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
dsapp wrote:QUICK UPDATE: The lowest quote I've received is $1884 to ship 200 bottles across the country. That includes me boxing it, providing all supplies, and no insurance (I'd have to cover it through my home-owners policy). It is door-to-door in a refrigerated truck at 55 degrees.

Another option. I discovered that if I fly Virgin America from JFK to LAX, I am allowed to have up to 10 check-in suitcases, up to 50 lbs. each. Assuming that 12 bottles of wine weigh about 35 lbs, I may be able to fit 14-15 bottles in each hard-case suitcase, each wrapped carefully in bubble wrap.

I'm pretty sure I can get my 200 bottles down to 145-150 bottles by gifting and heavy drinking over the next five weeks.

The cost for this option: $25 each shipping for 10 suitcases. Plus $50 each for the 10 suitcases (assuming I can find them at Marshalls). Plus about $100 extra for the excess baggage on the airport limo shuttle.

That still saves me about $1000, plus I get my wine there in one day, not 2-3 weeks. It will be a ROYAL PAIN to handle ten, 50 lb suitcases all by myself in JFK and LAX. My wife will pick me up at the airport.

What do you guys think? Is this insane?

Crazy? Yes. But if you can make it work and save half the cost, it is a clever idea. Now to determine how to pay off someone to drop you at JFK, using some of your excess wine. It works.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
dsapp wrote:
Another option. I discovered that if I fly Virgin America from JFK to LAX, I am allowed to have up to 10 check-in suitcases, up to 50 lbs.

Call VX and ask if they will allow wine as checked baggage. Do you still have lots of cardboard wine cases?

I've taken cases on DL and UA, and I know some around here do it on Southwest all the time... The rules are usually that so long as there is nothing loose or flimsy and it's securely taped with packing tape they will accept it.

dsapp

mother wrote:Call VX and ask if they will allow wine as checked baggage. Do you still have lots of cardboard wine cases?

I called Virgin America, and the person on the phone confirmed what I read on its website: as long as the bottles are under 24% alcohol, then there's no limit in checked baggage.

--

"CHECKED BAGGAGE

Beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof) are not permitted in your checked baggage.

Guests are allowed to bring up to five liters of alcohol per person with alcohol content between 24% and 70% as checked baggage. Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

As with all items in checked luggage, alcoholic beverages must be suitably packed so as not to break and/or spill. If you are transporting wine, many vineyards offer packaging that are designed to protect wine when being shipped. Remember liquids should be packed to protect other items in the bag in case of leakage or damage. Virgin America may refuse items that are not suitably packed. Per our Contract of Carriage, wine and bottled alcoholic beverages packed in luggage are considered fragile items and Virgin America is not liable in case of damage."

--

Yes, it would be cheaper to have them in boxes, but I think I would benefit from the mobility of the wheeled suitcases in order to get them around in the airport myself. I bought 6 suitcases at Marshalls last night: $49 each.

dsapp

polarbear22 wrote:Now to determine how to pay off someone to drop you at JFK, using some of your excess wine. It works.

Are you offering to take me to JFK in exchange for a '10 Sea Smoke Ten?

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
dsapp wrote:Are you offering to take me to JFK in exchange for a '10 Sea Smoke Ten?

Or 6, I'm guessing. He probably has room in his cellar.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

arent you going above the 5 liters of alcohol with all those bottles? Not that I think they will check

North316

tiger7610 wrote:arent you going above the 5 liters of alcohol with all those bottles? Not that I think they will check

That't only for over 25% alcohol.

My CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
dsapp wrote:I called Virgin America, and the person on the phone confirmed what I read on its website: as long as the bottles are under 24% alcohol, then there's no limit in checked baggage.

--

"CHECKED BAGGAGE

Beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof) are not permitted in your checked baggage.

Guests are allowed to bring up to five liters of alcohol per person with alcohol content between 24% and 70% as checked baggage. Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

As with all items in checked luggage, alcoholic beverages must be suitably packed so as not to break and/or spill. If you are transporting wine, many vineyards offer packaging that are designed to protect wine when being shipped. Remember liquids should be packed to protect other items in the bag in case of leakage or damage. Virgin America may refuse items that are not suitably packed. Per our Contract of Carriage, wine and bottled alcoholic beverages packed in luggage are considered fragile items and Virgin America is not liable in case of damage."

--

Yes, it would be cheaper to have them in boxes, but I think I would benefit from the mobility of the wheeled suitcases in order to get them around in the airport myself. I bought 6 suitcases at Marshalls last night: $49 each.

Just remember to keep them under 50 lbs. - 3 lbs per bottle + the weight of your suitcase.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

If you need a hand at LAX I'm only 15 min away.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

dsapp

klezman wrote:If you need a hand at LAX I'm only 15 min away.

What an absolutely generous offer. PM sent.

mother

dsapp wrote:

Good news on the wine, but think you've gone off the reservation with the suitcases ;)

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

I think your math forgot to include the cost of your ticket for the flight itself? unless that was already required...

North316

joelsisk wrote:I think your math forgot to include the cost of your ticket for the flight itself? unless that was already required...

Even it was already required, the upcharge to Virgin likely needs added.

My CT

dsapp

North316 wrote:Even it was already required, the upcharge to Virgin likely needs added.

$25 each suitcase for extra baggage charge on Virgin + $50 each for buying 10 suitcases + $100 for packing materials + $50 tip for airport shuttle in Connecticut = $900. I already was flying myself, so I didn't count that.

I think I'm saving about $1000 on the lowest estimate I got for someone else to do it: $1884.

Ten suitcases, 50 lbs each, about 14-15 bottles per suitcase. That's 145-150 bottles across country in a 5 1/2 hour flight. The toughest part will be pushing around 10 wheeled suitcases from the car to the check-in at JFK, and from the baggage claim to the rented SUV my wife will have curb-side at LAX. Other than that….

It's an adventure, for sure.

mother

dsapp wrote:
I think I'm saving about $1000 on the lowest estimate I got for someone else to do it: $1884.

Ten suitcases, 50 lbs each, about 14-15 bottles per suitcase. That's 145-150 bottles across country in a 5 1/2 hour flight. The toughest part will be pushing around 10 wheeled suitcases from the car to the check-in at JFK, and from the baggage claim to the rented SUV my wife will have curb-side at LAX. Other than that….

It's an adventure, for sure.

You straight up will not be able to handle 10 suitcases yourself. I would make sure however I go to the airport brought me curbside, and then tip the porters like $100 to check all the luggage outside.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
dsapp wrote:What an absolutely generous offer. PM sent.

An absolutely generous offer, indeed. Typical of many wooters, especially ones like klezman.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

loaffe0611

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loaffe0611

How is the rest of your stuff getting there? Just returned to VA from Napa. A case of wine is 36-40# shipped in boxes with the styro packing. Do you know folks in LA that you may visit so you can retrieve some of the wine later? I am starting to think, yes, drink it, unless you have a bunch of stuff in the >$90.00 a bottle range.

dsapp

I now have ten suitcases. Eight cost $49 each, the last two $59 each. I'll keep looking and return the $59 ones if I can find two cheaper ones.

I'm thinking about roping them together in a 5x2 block and pushing them gently through the airports (if curbside check-in is not available for Virgin America at JFK).

I'm going to give it a test run in the driveway this weekend, with the suitcases empty, of course. I fully realize that it will be different pushing 550 pounds around. But this is a first-stage test.

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
dsapp wrote:I now have ten suitcases. Eight cost $49 each, the last two $59 each. I'll keep looking and return the $59 ones if I can find two cheaper ones.

I'm thinking about roping them together in a 5x2 block and pushing them gently through the airports (if curbside check-in is not available for Virgin America at JFK).

I'm going to give it a test run in the driveway this weekend, with the suitcases empty, of course. I fully realize that it will be different pushing 550 pounds around. But this is a first-stage test.

You should be able to rent a large pushcart at the airport(s) that will hold all the suitcases.

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom

I thought of you when I saw today's woot! Seems like an easier solution than retrofitting those suitcases.