Vinum Cellars Chenin Blanc/Viognier 6-Pack
$58.99 $109.00 46% off List Price
2012 Chenin Blanc/Viognier, Clarksburg
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Intrigued for summer sipping and seafood pairing. Would love to see some tasting notes.

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

The only other white blend I have had that uses these two varietals is from Pine Ridge and I consider that to be an absolute favorite of mine for wines that re inexpensive and readily available.

The wine features a screw top which I love, especially on a white wine. The color is very pale and does not give much of a yellow hue, it is clear and almost has a slightly green look to it. The nose is medium in strength and very fresh. The primary note is citrus and melon but there is a lime and pineapple that seem to appear as the wine warms a bit in the glass. I really liked the nose on this wine and found myself sniffing for quite a bit before even trying it.

The wine is not completely dry, there is some perceived sweetness that appears more as weight on the backend than a blast of sugar but its there and as the wine warms it becomes more apparent. Its somewhere between a light and medium bodied white wine. I'm sure the Viognier thickens up it up a bit. There are no noticeable tannins and it comes across as tart but balanced. Its fairly strong on the tongue with the citrus and pineapple and finishes well with a bit of tartness that leaves the mouth watering.

This bottle has some similarities to a SB, but I found it to be very interesting and fresh and enjoyable at fridge temp and a little warmer.
At this woot price I think its good QPR and wouldn't hesitate to purchase if I were buying right now. Recommended.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Happy Father's Day!!!

Whether Grilling, Chilling, or Vegging out ... Happy Father's Day!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec

Thanks, Mark and back to you!

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec
cortot20 wrote:The only other white blend I have had that uses these two varietals is from Pine Ridge and I consider that to be an absolute favorite of mine for wines that re inexpensive and readily available.

The wine features a screw top which I love, especially on a white wine. The color is very pale and does not give much of a yellow hue, it is clear and almost has a slightly green look to it. The nose is medium in strength and very fresh. The primary note is citrus and melon but there is a lime and pineapple that seem to appear as the wine warms a bit in the glass. I really liked the nose on this wine and found myself sniffing for quite a bit before even trying it.

The wine is not completely dry, there is some perceived sweetness that appears more as weight on the backend than a blast of sugar but its there and as the wine warms it becomes more apparent. Its somewhere between a light and medium bodied white wine. I'm sure the Viognier thickens up it up a bit. There are no noticeable tannins and it comes across as tart but balanced. Its fairly strong on the tongue with the citrus and pineapple and finishes well with a bit of tartness that leaves the mouth watering.

This bottle has some similarities to a SB, but I found it to be very interesting and fresh and enjoyable at fridge temp and a little warmer.
At this woot price I think its good QPR and wouldn't hesitate to purchase if I were buying right now. Recommended.

Thanks for the report. Any opinion as to whether this wine will remain enjoyable next year?

confusedemmy

quality posts: 21 Private Messages confusedemmy

So far, everything I've had from Vinum has been most excellent, so I'm buying this since I love the blend.

Pine Ridge is well known for their version of this blend, and since one of the Vinum guys came from Pine Ridge, I would think this is at least as good!

I'm rather thankful that it comes in 6-packs, as I am therefore limited in my purchase of this summer sipper.

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk

Chenin Blanc/Viognier blend. I and SWMBO had a chance to try this a week or so ago.

Color - very light/pale straw

Nose - clear florals from the Vio. Hints of tropicals - lychee, apricot

Taste - very light acid, but crisp, with a very short finish. Mostly it's all in the midpalate, with some additional apricot, lime, hints of maybe strawberry and a touch of something a bit herbal - thyme? It certainly evoked thoughts of some strawberry-thyme water they might serve at a spa, though I wouldn't say it actually tasted like that.

Other thoughts - this is a screw cap. Tasted over 3 days, just screw the cap back on and put into the refrigerator, with no noticeable difference over that period of time. This leads me to think that this will hold up without much change for the next year or two.

SWMBO didn't really care for it, but that may have had more to do with the initial pairing of fish with garlic-butter-wine sauce. It went better the next day with cheese ravioli and red sauce. (strangely enough). I thought it was an interesting white, which I would enjoy another time, but I also wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to find it either.

At roughly $10/bottle, it's a decent every day summer white.

cortot20

McMalbec wrote:Thanks for the report. Any opinion as to whether this wine will remain enjoyable next year?

I think so. If stored in the dark it will hold even better. Clear glass and light bodied wine deteriorates fast with direct/ indirect sun exposure.

CT

cortot20

Info post:
All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wineing.

CT