Giornata Paso Robles Vermentino 4-Pack
$59.99 $115.00 48% off List Price
2012 Vermentino, Paso Robles
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

brianterrizzi

quality posts: 18 Private Messages brianterrizzi

Brian Terrizzi from Giornata here for a bit and tomorrow to answer questions.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
brianterrizzi wrote:Brian Terrizzi from Giornata here for a bit and tomorrow to answer questions.

Some specs would be nice.
Thanks!

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

The wine sounds delicious, I'm intrigued by the clay storage. What was the thought behind using this storage method?

CT

tenoreprimo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tenoreprimo

Specs please. I am a huge fan of vermentino! Duchman Winery in the Texas Hill Country produces an outstanding vermentino.

brianterrizzi

We pick to preserve acidity and in 2012 we picked on the early side. pH is around 3.7, but TA is high too and the resulting wine has lots of acidity. The Alc. is below 13%.

The amphora and skin contact component leads this wine to the more savory side of Vermentino.
I think the amphora rounds the palate a bit and also heightens minerality. This was our first use of amphora so we are kind of in learning mode.

This is the #1 selling wine from our tasting room so it definitely has it's fans.

Brian

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen

2012 Giornata Vermentino

I had an opportunity to sample this wine last week with some Chinese food. Straw color in the glass with slow-running, medium legs. The nose was somewhat muted, perhaps due to the wine being chilled but I was able to detect some honey/lemon and a slight floral component.

Fairly full-bodied for a white. Smooth, with viscous mouthfeel on the entry. Ripe Golden Delicious apple on the palate but with a crispness that evades the actual apple. Secondary notes of lemon/lime and citrus zest.

In the mid-palate, the fruit and viscosity start to dissolve into a spicy, mineral/acid driven finish. This was an excellent complement to my Szechuan Chicken. The spiciness of the food and spiciness on the finish of the wine each worked together to bring both to new heights.

This is a very nice food wine and also nice for sipping alone. I like the way it seems to morph a little from the smooth entry to the spicy finish, with subtle but interesting fruit and mineral flavors.

brianterrizzi

chipgreen wrote:2012 Giornata Vermentino

I had an opportunity to sample this wine last week with some Chinese food. Straw color in the glass with slow-running, medium legs. The nose was somewhat muted, perhaps due to the wine being chilled but I was able to detect some honey/lemon and a slight floral component.

Fairly full-bodied for a white. Smooth, with viscous mouthfeel on the entry. Ripe Golden Delicious apple on the palate but with a crispness that evades the actual apple. Secondary notes of lemon/lime and citrus zest.

In the mid-palate, the fruit and viscosity start to dissolve into a spicy, mineral/acid driven finish. This was an excellent complement to my Szechuan Chicken. The spiciness of the food and spiciness on the finish of the wine each worked together to bring both to new heights.

This is a very nice food wine and also nice for sipping alone. I like the way it seems to morph a little from the smooth entry to the spicy finish, with subtle but interesting fruit and mineral flavors.

Thanks for the tasting note. Asian food makes a good pairing for this wine. Wish we had a good Chinese restaurant in Paso.

I really think the body/roundness of the wine you mention comes from the Amphora. Just like a barrel will round wines the oxidation from Amphora is even greater.

Brian

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

My notes are relatively similar to Chip's. Smells like an SB, has the body of a Chard but it changes in the back end. Citrus, almost apple-juice flavors.

However, I did not like the wine at all. This is the second Vermentino I've had from Paso and I haven't liked either one. I may just not like Vermentino from the Paso climate.

The wine seemed awkward on the palate, if that makes sense. It wasn't a smooth wine, it didn't transition well, and I just didn't really like drinking it. I did not drink it with food, although I did try it over two days and there was little change.

Just not for me. Doesn't mean it's a bad or poorly-made wine at all, of course.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

brianterrizzi

kylemittskus wrote:My notes are relatively similar to Chip's. Smells like an SB, has the body of a Chard but it changes in the back end. Citrus, almost apple-juice flavors.

However, I did not like the wine at all. This is the second Vermentino I've had from Paso and I haven't liked either one. I may just not like Vermentino from the Paso climate.

The wine seemed awkward on the palate, if that makes sense. It wasn't a smooth wine, it didn't transition well, and I just didn't really like drinking it. I did not drink it with food, although I did try it over two days and there was little change.

Just not for me. Doesn't mean it's a bad or poorly-made wine at all, of course.

I'm back on the board after a staff training/lunch with my favorite Italin restaurant on the Central Coast il Cortile. Pleasae check them out if you're in Paso.

And to Kyle:

Sorry the wine wasn't your cup of tea. We release 10 wines per year and each one is very different. I usually expect the normal person to like about half. If someone says they like they like them all they are either lying or my mom.

That being said if you make it Paso please come visit us. With Giornata we really try to explore what is wonderful and unique about the wines from all over Italy. We really believe that the diversity of soils and micro-climates allow us to take this journey.

The 2012 Vermentino is a pretty contemplative wine that drinks more like a red and is better paired with food. Coi in San Francisco has used it on a few occasions as a tasting menu pairing with Golden beets. It handles the earthiness of the dish perfectly from what I've been told.

Our other white based on Friulano is much more of a porch pounder style.

Brian

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Ahh Il Cortile... the truffles at that place.....

I have to say I like much of the Giornata lineup, admittedly some better than others... this one is a fun summer sipper IMHO. More interesting than the typical summer white... refreshing.. and good with food.

Thanks as always for stopping by Brian and Giornata....

brianterrizzi wrote:I'm back on the board after a staff training/lunch with my favorite Italin restaurant on the Central Coast il Cortile. Pleasae check them out if you're in Paso.

And to Kyle:

Sorry the wine wasn't your cup of tea. We release 10 wines per year and each one is very different. I usually expect the normal person to like about half. If someone says they like they like them all they are either lying or my mom.

That being said if you make it Paso please come visit us. With Giornata we really try to explore what is wonderful and unique about the wines from all over Italy. We really believe that the diversity of soils and micro-climates allow us to take this journey.

The 2012 Vermentino is a pretty contemplative wine that drinks more like a red and is better paired with food. Coi in San Francisco has used it on a few occasions as a tasting menu pairing with Golden beets. It handles the earthiness of the dish perfectly from what I've been told.

Brian

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

kylemittskus

brianterrizzi wrote:And to Kyle:

Brian

Hey Brian,

No worries. Certainly, no one will like every wine. And that's the beauty of this hobby we share.

We go to Paso every couple of years and I'll definitely stop by.

I have to ask about your comment that it "drinks more like a red." I have heard this description, or variations thereof, numerous times. "This is a red drinker's white wine." What does this mean? It drank like a fuller-bodied white to me.

kylemittskus

neilfindswine wrote:Thanks as always for stopping by Brian and Giornata....

Check your PMs, slacker.

brianterrizzi

kylemittskus wrote:Hey Brian,

No worries. Certainly, no one will like every wine. And that's the beauty of this hobby we share.

We go to Paso every couple of years and I'll definitely stop by.

I have to ask about your comment that it "drinks more like a red." I have heard this description, or variations thereof, numerous times. "This is a red drinker's white wine." What does this mean? It drank like a fuller-bodied white to me.

Red in terms of body and complexity. Since a portion of the wine was on the skins with a bit of stems and in an Amphora there is a complexity and texture that is more common with reds. The wine finishes with a distinct mustard seed component. I typically associate herbal qualities more with reds. If you paired this wine with grilled sausages and grainy mustard your perception of the wine might change completely.

Brian

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

I could possibly be persuaded to take one or two of these off another SoCal'er.

CT

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:I could possibly be persuaded to take one or two of these off another SoCal'er.

I'll split with you - I'll order and bring yours with me in August, if that's ok?

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:I'll split with you - I'll order and bring yours with me in August, if that's ok?

works for me

CT

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:works for me

done

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

Info post:
All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wine

CT