$64.99 $107.00 39% off List Price
2009 Zinfandel, Dry Creek Valley, William Talty Vineyard
2010 Zinfandel, Dry Creek Valley, Dwight Family Vineyard
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

shahnm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages shahnm

2010 Bertapelle Cellars Zinfandel

83 Points | Robert Parker's The Wine Advocate

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab

cjsiege wrote:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of June 8.

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
June
TBD: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn
TBD: SoCal #35: San Diego/Lakeside

July
7/5: Denver #?: VIP Visitors

August
August 4-6: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread
TBD: NoVA/DC #30: Theme TBD

Summer
TBD: MN#?: Coming out of hibernation...

Pending
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

Trifecta shared the 2010 with a few lucky fellows as a mystery taster. My notes are as follows;

Medium color density, the color hue indicates some age; possibly 5 years. Nose of strawberry, cherry and bramble. Some sweet oak on the nose that gives it a baking spice character. Palate is more on the blackberry side, a pretty full flavor. Tannins are fine with a hint of greeness

This wine is juicier than my notes indicate; We had a lot to taste tonight so I didn't get super detailed. It's fruit forward but with a lot of structure, to go many more years. I'm guessing that it will peak 3-5 years from now. The tannins are ample but very velvety. I guessed it at going on woot at just north of $20 (tooting my own horn here ) At this price, I say it's worth the price. Buy it, enjoy it!

Cyradia

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Cyradia

Bertapelle Cellars – 2009 Zinfandel, Dry Creek Valley, William Talty Vineyard

I was lucky enough to magically acquire a bottle of this wine. Magic, I say. Thanks magic! To help you know what your reviewers enjoys in a Zin...my Zin shelf right now is very heavily laden with Wellington and my favorite is probably the Meeks Hilltop Ranch 2007.

Color was a very clear brick red...matched the label beautifully. Zero sediment spotted.

Aroma...
Me - Red fruit, strawberry most prevalent, bit of leather & spice back there somewhere but subtle.

SO – Rasperry/cherry/strawberry

First Taste (PnP)...
Me – Red fruit is dominant, but tart. Tartness reminds me of blackberries that aren't quite ripe yet. There's a little bit of tobacco/leather/spice on the back, but it's pretty subtle and I noticed it more on my first few sips than I did even 5 minutes later. Tannins created a nice mouthfeel and it had a long (simple) finish. Some zins can shock you with a lot of heat on first blush...not this one. Pretty smooth right from the beginning (not too surprising since 14.4% ABV isn't super high for a zin).

SO – Very fruity. It's good, but not complex. Not at all syrupy. Nice tannins which I like a lot. There's some cinnamon/spice on the very back, but it's really subtle.

With Food...
One of my favorite things about the monkey visits is that we plan a meal that we think will work well. Paired perfectly with burgers. The wine isn't overly complex, but had some nice structure...it seemed to be just what a perfectly grilled burger topped with bacon and avocado needed.

Also stood up well to the bleu cheese test I gave it before dinner.

After Some Time to Breath...
Concentrating just on the wine (no food), I have to say I liked my first glass the best. The longer the bottle stayed open the more the subtle hints of other flavors (leather, spice, etc.) disappeared. A couple of hours later (not decanted, bottle just open on the counter) it was noticeably more one-dimensional (just red fruit, slightly tart). If I drink it again I'll make sure to either serve it on a night I know we'll finish it quickly or keep it capped tightly between pours.

Summary Thoughts...
This is a good summer red if you grill all summer, like we do. Enough tannins to be interesting, but not a heavy wine that's going to make you want to curl up in front of a fireplace and notice the layers of flavors. Not very complex, but easy to drink when you're enjoying good company and food.

Full disclosure...I'm passing. While I'd be very happy to sip this with future burgers, it's just not a tempting QPR for me given other options that can fill that niche for me.

BertapelleCellars

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BertapelleCellars

Good morning. We were asked to add a few technical details on our Zins. For the 09 Talty Vineyard Zin:
Blended with 7% Petite Sirah
T/A - .730
pH - 3.47

10 Dwight Vineyard Zin:
Blended with 8% Petite Sirah
T/A - .731
pH - 3.96

PS is less than .5 on both.

BertapelleCellars

BertapelleCellars wrote:Good morning. We were asked to add a few technical details on our Zins. For the 09 Talty Vineyard Zin:
T/A - .730
pH - 3.47

10 Dwight Vineyard Zin:
T/A - .731
pH - 3.96

CORRECTION - RS is less than .5

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
BertapelleCellars wrote:Good morning. We were asked to add a few technical details on our Zins. For the 09 Talty Vineyard Zin:
T/A - .730
pH - 3.47

10 Dwight Vineyard Zin:
T/A - .731
pH - 3.96

Why such a large difference between the two pH numbers? Entirely vintage or am intentional change in style?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

BertapelleCellars

kylemittskus wrote:Why such a large difference between the two pH numbers? Entirely vintage or am intentional change in style?

pH change was totally due to a very different climate (cool summer & huge September heat wave in '09) plus change in vineyard.

cortot20

quality posts: 162 Private Messages cortot20

Info post:
All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wine

CT