Sanford Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir 3-Pack
$89.99 $150.97 40% off List Price
2009 Pinot Noir, Santa Rita Hills
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen

NO it does not come with the Daisies. Or the Zinnias. Or the vase. Or the water in the vase.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

Should go well with that '79 Cab..

CT

SanfordWinery

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SanfordWinery

Hi All, My name is Dave, and I'll be monitoring the discussion from the winery side. Feel free to ask me any questions about the Sanford PN (it's really awesome, BTW!) or just say Hi! :D

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:Should go well with that '79 Cab..

Nice. A cross-varietal, 30 year gap mini-vertical!

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Should go well with that '79 Cab..

Just let me know if you need help drinking this Pinot. Sta Rita Hills is getting to be one of my favourite CA Pinot sources.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen

SanfordWinery wrote:Hi All, My name is Dave, and I'll be monitoring the discussion from the winery side. Feel free to ask me any questions about the Sanford PN (it's really awesome, BTW!) or just say Hi! :D

Hi Brand Ambassador Dave, thanks for your participation! The description for this wine sounds delicious. Can you tell me which PN clones were used in its production? Thanks!

SanfordWinery

chipgreen wrote:Hi Brand Ambassador Dave, thanks for your participation! The description for this wine sounds delicious. Can you tell me which PN clones were used in its production? Thanks!

Hi @chipgreen, good questoin... and the wine is truely one of my favorite PN's. As for the clones, well there are about eight different PN clones. The grapes are sourced from the two Estate vineyards, La Rinconada and Sanford and Benedict. I'll reach out to the winemaker Steve Fennell to see if he can provide the specific clones.

chipgreen

SanfordWinery wrote:Hi @chipgreen, good questoin... and the wine is truely one of my favorite PN's. As for the clones, well there are about eight different PN clones. The grapes are sourced from the two Estate vineyards, La Rinconada and Sanford and Benedict. I'll reach out to the winemaker Steve Fennell to see if he can provide the specific clones.

Thanks for the reply! Since there are as many as 8 different clones I would be especially interested in knowing if one or more of them makes up a considerable percentage of the blend.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

I went to Santa Rita Hills two weeks ago and stopped by Clos Pepe, Brewer-Clifton, and Flying Goat. Good Pinot Noir in that area, and really great Chardonnay.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
chipgreen wrote:Thanks for the reply! Since there are as many as 8 different clones I would be especially interested in knowing if one or more of them makes up a considerable percentage of the blend.

Doesn't answer your question but doing little Googling around it looks like La Rinconada is comprised of Dijon clones 115, 667 and 777.

Sanford & Benedict vineyard was comprised of Mount Eden clone until some recent replantings.

Some interesting info on the Sanford & Benedict vineyard here for some geek info:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-jennings/sanford-benedict-story-of_b_3350715.html

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

and a couple of reviews, cuz y'all love 'em:

Wine Spectator: SANFORD
Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills 2009
Score: 87
Release Price: $43
Issue: Web Only - 2011

Juicy, vivid wild berry, black cherry and raspberry flavors are elegant and refined, with a mix of spice, mineral, dried herb and cedar. Flavors build and gain depth on the finish. Drink now through 2017. 9,744 cases made. –JL

Wine Enthusiast:
by S.H.
Seems pricy for what you get, which is a good but straightforward Pinot Noir to drink now. It’s dry and elegant, with Pinot’s silky texture, yet one-dimensional in cherry, cola and spice flavors, with a quick finish.
— (10/1/2011) — 87 points

SanfordWinery

chipgreen wrote:Thanks for the reply! Since there are as many as 8 different clones I would be especially interested in knowing if one or more of them makes up a considerable percentage of the blend.

@chipgreen - i don't have the percentages, but the winemaker had this to say:

"We have quite a range of Pinot clones currently in the mix:

Pommard
Mt. Eden
Wente
2A

Steve "

hope this helps!

chipgreen

SanfordWinery wrote:@chipgreen - i don't have the percentages, but the winemaker had this to say:

Pommard
Mt. Eden
Wente
2A

Steve "

hope this helps!

Thanks Dave (and Steve).

chipgreen

kaolis wrote:Doesn't answer your question but doing little Googling around it looks like La Rinconada is comprised of Dijon clones 115, 667 and 777.

Sanford & Benedict vineyard was comprised of Mount Eden clone until some recent replantings.

Some interesting info on the Sanford & Benedict vineyard here for some geek info:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-jennings/sanford-benedict-story-of_b_3350715.html

That was a good read, thanks for posting it. Nice to know that Terlato not only has continued to use the Sanford & Benedict fruit but has also taken good care of the vineyard.

EDIT: and I just noticed that the article was written by CellarTracker superstar Richard Jennings

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

SanfordWinery wrote:@chipgreen - i don't have the percentages, but the winemaker had this to say:

Pommard
Mt. Eden
Wente
2A

Steve "

hope this helps!

The pedigree on this deal is through the roof. a very good value.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Roessler used to make a PN from the Sanford & Benedict vineyard, IIRC. I don't have notes, but I remember liking it a lot.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
ddeuddeg wrote:Roessler used to make a PN from the Sanford & Benedict vineyard, IIRC. I don't have notes, but I remember liking it a lot.

I just remember reading about Sanford when that cab was up, and that's about all it took at rollover for me.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
rjquillin wrote:I just remember reading about Sanford when that cab was up, and that's about all it took at rollover for me.

I used to buy a lot of these many years ago, somehow they fell off my radar... Until now. They were always fantastic!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

gustmf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gustmf

I found this wine for less...
Sanford - Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir NV (375ml)

$22.99

Gramercy Wine & Spirits,104 East 23rd St, New York, NY New York, NY

mdctreeguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdctreeguy
gustmf wrote:I found this wine for less...
Sanford - Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir NV (375ml)

$22.99

Gramercy Wine & Spirits,104 East 23rd St, New York, NY New York, NY

1/2 bottle