klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

I know this issue has come up a few times here and there, but I think it's time it got its own thread. I just went to check on a wine.woot shipment and was startled to see that it had been sitting in a warehouse in Bell, CA over the weekend. Lo and behold the problem is FedEx Home. They only work Tue-Sat, so they tried to deliver to my business address on Saturday. Of course nobody was here. So now it sits in the truck all day Sat, and in the warehouse Sun/Mon before going back on a truck Tuesday.

Here's the issue - we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. We mostly have to use business addresses so that somebody of age is available to sign whenever FedEx decides to show up. So why are we using FedEx Home?! If we're shipping home, then we need to be able to be home whenever they decide to show up.

This whole situation strikes me as rather illogical...

(Yes, I know one can redirect to a FedEx location but that is rather inconvenient for me.)

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. I would imagine that it's a matter of economics though.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

chipgreen

quality posts: 188 Private Messages chipgreen
ThunderThighs wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. I would imagine that it's a matter of economics though.

I have shipped using both and Home is a little less expensive. As the term "Home" implies it is intended as a residential service (thus the Saturday and evening deliveries), while FedEx Ground is intended for commercial addresses.

I guess it's up to FedEx if they want to enforce this as a strict "rule" or not but using Home to ship to commercial addresses goes against the intended use of the service.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. I would imagine that it's a matter of economics though.

Perhaps the code monkeys need to add a check box on the shipping address page. As in whether or not the address is a business (Ground) or home (Home).

I've always enjoyed seeing a delivery notice for a Sunday for my UPS Box address (which is closed on Sundays). And I did wonder why when it said delivery would be the "next business day" and stated a Tuesday date. Now I know (Home delivers Tu-Su).

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chipgreen

quality posts: 188 Private Messages chipgreen
MarkDaSpark wrote:Perhaps the code monkeys need to add a check box on the shipping address page. As in whether or not the address is a business (Ground) or home (Home).

+1

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
chipgreen wrote:+1

+2
That's the obvious solution...

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
klezman wrote:I know this issue has come up a few times here and there, but I think it's time it got its own thread. I just went to check on a wine.woot shipment and was startled to see that it had been sitting in a warehouse in Bell, CA over the weekend. Lo and behold the problem is FedEx Home. They only work Tue-Sat, so they tried to deliver to my business address on Saturday. Of course nobody was here. So now it sits in the truck all day Sat, and in the warehouse Sun/Mon before going back on a truck Tuesday.

Here's the issue - we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. We mostly have to use business addresses so that somebody of age is available to sign whenever FedEx decides to show up. So why are we using FedEx Home?! If we're shipping home, then we need to be able to be home whenever they decide to show up.

This whole situation strikes me as rather illogical...

(Yes, I know one can redirect to a FedEx location but that is rather inconvenient for me.)

This happened to me three times in the last 5 weeks. Wine sat on a truck or in a warehouse for 3 unnecessary days during 90ish degree heat.
Agree that it is completely illogical to suggest using a business address and then ship using FedEx Home.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
klezman wrote:+2
That's the obvious solution...

+3 for the checkbox.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:I have shipped using both and Home is a little less expensive. As the term "Home" implies it is intended as a residential service (thus the Saturday and evening deliveries), while FedEx Ground is intended for commercial addresses.

I guess it's up to FedEx if they want to enforce this as a strict "rule" or not but using Home to ship to commercial addresses goes against the intended use of the service.

I thought the same re: pricing, but just last week while I was @ FedEx doing a P/U, I had them price a 39# shipment (1 case) and standard ground was less than home.
Didn't seem right to me either, but she double checked just to make sure.
Perhaps the pricing schedule is different if you use an account, rather than get a counter quote.

CT

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
rjquillin wrote:I thought the same re: pricing, but just last week while I was @ FedEx doing a P/U, I had them price a 39# shipment (1 case) and standard ground was less than home.
Didn't seem right to me either, but she double checked just to make sure.
Perhaps the pricing schedule is different if you use an account, rather than get a counter quote.

It is, and depends on local markets. Remember that Home is outsourced delivery, while Ground is employees. Most Home deliveries I get are in rented 16 (+/-) footers... sometimes Uhaul, sometimes Penske.