WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: I have taken some preventative measure to make sure my most valuable wines are difficult to access.
  • 23.2% - Yes. Because if I have company over and we're drinking, I'm liable to do anything. 228
  • 74.2% - No. We stick to the basic drinkables. 730
  • 2.6% - I have more to say about this topic in your comments section. 26
984 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Lenkeit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lenkeit

We have a lot of wine here at the house, and it's all good wine. What's the fun of having good wine unless you share it with family and good friends? Yes, the wine cellar has a lock, but I must confess I don't know what I've done with my key....

We can cellar 545 bottles here at home. This means we must quickly consume the other 436 bottles on hand...

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

Wine is meant to drink.
Some people have fancy underwear for 'special occasions' too.
Tell you what - You wear the fancy underwear and I'll bring the expensive wine.
Somewhere in all this, there will be a compromise.

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

FrostByte

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FrostByte

Our most valuable wine might be $2-3 more than our least, so it's all out there ready to be shared.

Charter Member (0002314) - Friend of the Official Crappraiser Get your Official Crappraisal today.

woot 59 wine 5 shirt 35 sellout 12 kids 27 hh 2 moofi 3 home 7 sport 6
electronics 3 pop 4 tools 2 a&w 4 computers 0 total 169

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

Just like, if a wax sculpture has a wick then it's just a candle, a wine becomes just an empty bottle once it's drunk. I understand the idea behind fine, expensive wines, but my palate just isn't that discerning. Plus, I can't afford $100-bottle wine, as I have a mortgage. And rent. Then there's my toys...

MISRy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MISRy

I keep the good stuff where anyone can get to it. In the basement. In a locked closet that doesn't have a doorknob. In the unused bathroom that has no lights and a sign on the door that says, ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

zasseg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zasseg
PocketBrain wrote:Just like, if a wax sculpture has a wick then it's just a candle, a wine becomes just an empty bottle once it's drunk. I understand the idea behind fine, expensive wines, but my palate just isn't that discerning. Plus, I can't afford $100-bottle wine, as I have a mortgage. And rent. Then there's my toys...

Agreed. Plus, wine is a drink. If you do not drink it it hasn't realized it's purpose. Don't mess with the order.

deckerbrian

quality posts: 16 Private Messages deckerbrian

My problem is that I repeatedly open wine for a frequent guest or two that never reciprocate. An in-law of mine stops by for "happy hour" (I call it free-wine Friday) and NEVER brings a bottle. My choice is to not drink or open a crappy bottle or share what I'm drinking.

How many times would you drink at someone else' house without bringing a bottle or throwing some cash in a wine fund?

debthomas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages debthomas
deckerbrian wrote:My problem is that I repeatedly open wine for a frequent guest or two that never reciprocate. An in-law of mine stops by for "happy hour" (I call it free-wine Friday) and NEVER brings a bottle. My choice is to not drink or open a crappy bottle or share what I'm drinking.

How many times would you drink at someone else' house without bringing a bottle or throwing some cash in a wine fund?

Try renaming your event "The Wine Share". Maybe your guests think the "free" means only them.
I always bring good stuff to share!

kmagt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmagt

All my wine is accessible. My idea of an expensive bottle is $50 and are usually opened for my wife and myself (with the door locked and the phone off the hook). I open bottles for company, especially for an un-named in-law that guzzles without a break in her non stop talking. I always bring a bottle or two when visiting. I agree with the wine is for drinking, not collecting but will age some a year or two before opening.

hoomgar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoomgar

What?

cortot20

quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20

I reserve the 30 bottle kitchen rack for immediate consumption which are cheaper easily approachable wines that can be opened whenever company comes over or i don't want something pricier. The wine fridge in the office is pricier stuff that gets opened for fellow wine lovers.

CT

mom2hapakids

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mom2hapakids

We have three general levels of wine: galley ($10-25), cellar ($30-50), and dungeon ($75+). The galley wines are kept in the wine rack in the kitchen island. Cellar wines are those that we bring out to drink when we are at home having dinner. Frequently, the wine outclasses the food (I'm a horrible cook!) Dungeon wines are closely kept secrets that are only brought out to be shared and consumed with people who know wine. For us, that means only one other couple that we purchased the wine with when we do our annual trips to Napa. Part of drinking this wine is remembering the tasting room experience and the trips we've taken together. It's more about the people than about the wine.

BobInFla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobInFla

Anybody remember Boone's Farm? Or Ripple?

MISRy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MISRy
BobInFla wrote:Anybody remember Boone's Farm? Or Ripple?

Mad Dog 20/20 bay-bee!

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 17 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Yes. I bury them in the back yard in random spots, about 7 feet down. That's only the really good wines, though.

That really slowed down 'impulse drinking' of the good wines. In fact, I haven't found any of them yet.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
BobInFla wrote:Anybody remember Boone's Farm? Or Ripple?

Forgetting Red Mountain, with the finger loop on the neck?

CT

Wootingtoexhale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wootingtoexhale

I usually steer clear of inviting anyone over that uses the word preventative (incorrect) instead of preventive (correct). That way, I don't have to worry about the wrong people getting into my good wine

glawen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glawen

If you Wootpeople were not lying around drunk, choking on your own effluvia like Sixties rock stars, you might have the energy and mental focus to create more than the pitiful one or two wine polls per week to which you appear restricted.

glawen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glawen
rjquillin wrote:Forgetting Red Mountain, with the finger loop on the neck?

It's still available, although now it's called "Carlo Rossi".

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

glawen wrote:If you Wootpeople were not lying around drunk, choking on your own effluvia like Sixties rock stars, you might have the energy and mental focus to create more than the pitiful one or two wine polls per week to which you appear restricted.

we're starting with two per week AND YOU'LL BE GRATEFUL I COULD BE BOTHERED AT ALL.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Wootingtoexhale wrote:I usually steer clear of inviting anyone over that uses the word preventative (incorrect) instead of preventive (correct). That way, I don't have to worry about the wrong people getting into my good wine

both are accepted nowadays! because this isn't the 1600s!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

chipgreen

quality posts: 188 Private Messages chipgreen
PemberDucky wrote:both are accepted nowadays! because this isn't the 1600s!

Some people are so... argumentive.