2003 Tabarrini Montefalco Sagrantino Colle Grimaldesco, Montefalco
2005 Tabarrini Montefalco Sagrantino Colle Grimaldesco, Montefalco
2006 Tabarrini Montefalco Sagrantino Colle Grimaldesco, Montefalco
CT links above

Winery websote

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco
Cesare wrote:Tabarrini Sagrantino Grimaldesco, Italian Red Wine 3-Pack
$99.99 $193.00 48% off List Price
CT links above

Winery websote

Wow, SERIOUS imported wine. Not the typical Saturday international offering.
Not really what I'm drinking these days, but for those that like Tabarrini wines, this is a great deal.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS

Looks like an interesting offer. I just picked up the 2008 vintage from Woot recently for a slightly lower but comprable price point. Has anyone tried these?

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
Cesare wrote:Tabarrini Sagrantino Grimaldesco, Italian Red Wine 3-Pack
$99.99 $193.00 48% off List Price
CT links above

Winery websote

International Saturday. Hmm. Chip did the monkey come by your place? He did not come by my house. Wish he had...hint, hint. Bravo WD for getting a truly high quality Italian wine from a highly reputable winery.

While I have not had this wine, I have had a number of very nice Sagrantino's. They are from a specific area, i.e. Umbria, and thus are quite unique. This is a big, complex wine, that needs time to mature. This winemaker usually leaves his in barrel for 30-36 months and then in bottle for 6-12 months. He understands that this wine needs to sit and develop before going to market. That said, what a luxury it is for us to be able to get these wines which are 03, 05 and 06. Any time I can get a cellared wine, or wines, this old, I am highly appreciative of the winery for doing me a favor.

For those unfamiliar with this grape, I can tell you it is dark, has some spice, reveals flavors of dark fruits and has some acidity. It is food friendly towards roasted meats and aged cheeses. The tannins can be bitter when young, but with this aging I would expect them to be approachable now with a good decanting. Or, put 'em away for a while. They will only get better, just like BDM and other great Italian wines do when have time to develop. This wine is also DOCG, which reflects superior high quality. (A notable difference for wines is that DOCG labelled wines are analysed and tasted by government–licensed personnel before being bottled. To prevent later manipulation, DOCG wine bottles then are sealed with a numbered governmental seal across the cap or cork. Post posting edit: DOCG is no guarantee of quality.)
Bravo for this offer.

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
jmdavidson wrote:International Saturday. Hmm. Chip did the monkey come by your place? He did not come by my house. Wish he had...hint, hint. Bravo WD for getting a truly high quality Italian wine from a highly reputable winery.

While I have not had this wine, I have had a number of very nice Sagrantino's. They are from a specific area, i.e. Umbria, and thus are quite unique. This is a big, complex wine, that needs time to mature. This winemaker usually leaves his in barrel for 30-36 months and then in bottle for 6-12 months. He understands that this wine needs to sit and develop before going to market. That said, what a luxury it is for us to be able to get these wines which are 03, 05 and 06. Any time I can get a cellared wine, or wines, this old, I am highly appreciative of the winery for doing me a favor.

For those unfamiliar with this grape, I can tell you it is dark, has some spice, reveals flavors of dark fruits and has some acidity. It is food friendly towards roasted meats and aged cheeses. The tannins can be bitter when young, but with this aging I would expect them to be approachable now with a good decanting. Or, put 'em away for a while. They will only get better, just like BDM and other great Italian wines do when have time to develop. This wine is also DOCG, which reflects superior high quality. (A notable difference for wines is that DOCG labelled wines are analysed and tasted by government–licensed personnel before being bottled. To prevent later manipulation, DOCG wine bottles then are sealed with a numbered governmental seal across the cap or cork.)
Bravo for this offer.

No monkeys in Ohio, they were probably scared away by the recent flash flooding. Never had a Sagrantino, thanks for the 411.

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS
jmdavidson wrote:International Saturday. Hmm. Chip did the monkey come by your place? He did not come by my house. Wish he had...hint, hint. Bravo WD for getting a truly high quality Italian wine from a highly reputable winery.

For those unfamiliar with this grape, I can tell you it is dark, has some spice, reveals flavors of dark fruits and has some acidity. It is food friendly towards roasted meats and aged cheeses. The tannins can be bitter when young, but with this aging I would expect them to be approachable now with a good decanting. Or, put 'em away for a while. They will only get better, just like BDM and other great Italian wines do when have time to develop. This wine is also DOCG, which reflects superior high quality. (A notable difference for wines is that DOCG labelled wines are analysed and tasted by government–licensed personnel before being bottled. To prevent later manipulation, DOCG wine bottles then are sealed with a numbered governmental seal across the cap or cork.)
Bravo for this offer.

Thanks for the info. Sounds right up my alley.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
RyanANNAPOLIS wrote:Looks like an interesting offer. I just picked up the 2008 vintage from Woot recently for a slightly lower but comprable price point. Has anyone tried these?

I picked up the WTSO offer as well, $25 I think it was. This offer has me intrigued given the older vintages and still a reasonable price.

jmdavidson

I tried to buy but got an error message telling me that because I have IE7 and Woot does not support 7, I need to use a newer version. Well, I am using IE9, so I do not understand why I got this message. WW is closed for the weekend. Can anyone help me out here?

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
jmdavidson wrote:I tried to buy but got an error message telling me that because I have IE7 and Woot does not support 7, I need to use a newer version. Well, I am using IE9, so I do not understand why I got this message. WW is closed for the weekend. Can anyone help me out here?

I won't pretend this is good advice, but just download Firefox and use that.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

cwawrzynek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwawrzynek
jmdavidson wrote:Can anyone help me out here?

Sounds like you have compatibility mode on (or off, IE is wonky). Looks sort of like a torn off page in the address bar, if you don't see that, hit alt to bring up option bar, tools -> compatibility view settings. if it's on, turn it off. if it's off, turn it on.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Nice offer Woot! Quality producer, good job sticking with international Saturdays. Looks like it is selling well and should. Now to scrape up some money so I can buy

BTW DOCG is no guarantee of quality

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

jmdavidson

cwawrzynek wrote:Sounds like you have compatibility mode on (or off, IE is wonky). Looks sort of like a torn off page in the address bar, if you don't see that, hit alt to bring up option bar, tools -> compatibility view settings. if it's on, turn it off. if it's off, turn it on.

Thanks for the help. That fixed the problem.
Speed to First Woot: 14m 45.224s
Last Wooter to Woot:jmdavidson
Last Purchase:a few seconds ago

manhandsha

quality posts: 35 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

jmdavidson wrote:I tried to buy but got an error message telling me that because I have IE7 and Woot does not support 7, I need to use a newer version. Well, I am using IE9, so I do not understand why I got this message. WW is closed for the weekend. Can anyone help me out here?

I'm really sorry. Is there another browser you could use, like Firefox, Chrome or Safari? You can also try another device such as a smartphone, tablet or another computer. Ordering from wine.woot on IE will only make you need the wine, you know, due to aggravation.

UPDATE: Ignore me and my slowness. Glad you could order!

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

jmdavidson

manhandsha wrote:I'm really sorry. Is there another browser you could use, like Firefox, Chrome or Safari? You can also try another device such as a smartphone, tablet or another computer. Ordering from wine.woot on IE will only make you need the wine, you know, due to aggravation.

UPDATE: Ignore me and my slowness. Glad you could order!

Thanks anyway. It's appreciated.

manhandsha

quality posts: 35 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

jmdavidson wrote:Thanks anyway. It's appreciated.

No problem. Salute!

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:BTW DOCG is no guarantee of quality

+1. That is the opposite of what they're trying to convince you of, of course.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bocastork

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bocastork

Just returned from a week in Umbria. Truly enjoyed the sagrantino wines. Went to a bunch of wineries and was quite upset at the cost to ship bottles back to the US. Most wanted approx 72 euros to ship six bottles. Plus the cost of the wine!!!! (About 30 euros for a good sagrantino) Very excited for this deal. Gets me the wine I wanted for a much better price because I don't have to spend a fortune on shipping!!!

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
bocastork wrote:Just returned from a week in Umbria. Truly enjoyed the sagrantino wines. Went to a bunch of wineries and was quite upset at the cost to ship bottles back to the US. Most wanted approx 72 euros to ship six bottles. Plus the cost of the wine!!!! (About 30 euros for a good sagrantino) Very excited for this deal. Gets me the wine I wanted for a much better price because I don't have to spend a fortune on shipping!!!

What's an extra bag cost?
Get a styro shipping box and just ship extra baggage.
Tax and duty pretty much a non-event.

CT

tytiger58

bocastork wrote:Just returned from a week in Umbria. Truly enjoyed the sagrantino wines. Went to a bunch of wineries and was quite upset at the cost to ship bottles back to the US. Most wanted approx 72 euros to ship six bottles. Plus the cost of the wine!!!! (About 30 euros for a good sagrantino) Very excited for this deal. Gets me the wine I wanted for a much better price because I don't have to spend a fortune on shipping!!!

The wine check...don't leave home without it!

http://www.thewinecheck.com/

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tytiger58 wrote:The wine check...don't leave home without it!

that thing's pretty sweet...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

tytiger58

neilfindswine wrote:that thing's pretty sweet...

Easier to bring 12 bottles on a cruise ship

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tytiger58 wrote:Easier to bring 12 bottles on a cruise ship

noted.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
neilfindswine wrote:noted.

even for a 5-day cruse.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:even for a 3 day cruise.

FIFY. Considering SWMBO and sharing with the couples(s) you go with.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

kylemittskus wrote:FIFY. Considering SWMBO and sharing with the couples(s) you go with.

so, Disney seated us, on our first dinner, with another family with a girl same age as ours... they became instant friends and wanted to go to the 'lab' each day together (drop kids off at lab, go to adult pool, consume adult beverages). Score: Disney 1,000, other cruise lines, 0.

...though, upon arrival at dinner, I say to said family, "..so, you folks like wine?" response: "...not really.." Me to my wife: "..this isn't going to work out..."

it turned out fine. Kids were friends, and they actually didn't mind wine (I think they weren't sure if I was going to ask them to pay for the bottles I had in my hand....) ;)

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
tytiger58 wrote:The wine check...don't leave home without it!

I smell a winecheck Thursday deal coming our way soon. Right WD!, right?

CT

tytiger58

cortot20 wrote:I smell a winecheck Thursday deal coming our way soon. Right WD!, right?

Hmmm I could use a second one

dalematthew

quality posts: 23 Private Messages dalematthew

I jumped in.