$69.99 $242.00 71% off List Price
2006 El Camino Real Red Wine, Page Nord Vineyard, Napa Valley
2005 El Camino Real Red Wine, Page Nord Vineyard, Napa Valley
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kolme

quality posts: 11 Private Messages kolme

Forgive my ignorance, as I have never bought wine online before, but how does wine like this fare through shipping? I had heard from local stores that it often ships in hot trucks causing the wines flavor, aroma, and acidity to become flat. I live in Texas so weather can vary greatly (it was 97 a few days ago, although it's cool now).

Thanks in advance

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
kolme wrote:Forgive my ignorance, as I have never bought wine online before, but how does wine like this fare through shipping? I had heard from local stores that it often ships in hot trucks causing the wines flavor, aroma, and acidity to become flat. I live in Texas so weather can vary greatly (it was 97 a few days ago, although it's cool now).

Thanks in advance

Good question
Wine is surprisingly hearty and can take some heat during shipping. Too much heat will cause damage but the damage can usually be seen as cork seepage. Good rule of thumb is if you suspect heat damage try and rotate the foil cap that most bottles come with. Free rotation means there should not be a problem, if it's sticking or completely stuck you might have a problem. Of course none of this applies to screw tops. In the past wine.woot has been good about replacing heat damaged bootles. Pretty soon summer shipping will begin which means extra special precautions are made to ensure your wine stays cool. Hope that helps.

CT

kolme

cortot20 wrote:Good question
Wine is surprisingly hearty and can take some heat during shipping. Too much heat will cause damage but the damage can usually be seen as cork seepage. Good rule of thumb is if you suspect heat damage try and rotate the foil cap that most bottles come with. Free rotation means there should not be a problem, if it's sticking or completely stuck you might have a problem. Of course none of this applies to screw tops. In the past wine.woot has been good about replacing heat damaged bootles. Pretty soon summer shipping will begin which means extra special precautions are made to ensure your wine stays cool. Hope that helps.

Thank you for this clear and concise answer; it has helped ease my concerns.

cortot20

We had these at the recent SoCal meetup. I did not take detailed notes but upon opening the 05' was completely hot and stemmy. We covered the labels so nothing could influence reviews but no one was surprised at the high ABV once the bottles were unwrapped. People who showed up later seemed to enjoy it more but for me it was just plainly to highly extracted and alcoholic.

The 06' suffered from over extraction as well but was immediately more drinkable. Some nice dark fruits, not enough acid and again alcohol.

I did come back to them later in the evening but my palate was pretty shot since I probably tasted through 10 wines in between so I won't comment on it later.

A lot of folks tried these at different times so you will see a wide variety of comments. I think trifecta got a chance at these 2-3 days later so I would be interested in those notes.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of May 4.

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
June
TBD: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn
TBD: NoVA #30: Theme TBD

Summer
est. August 4-6: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread
TBD: MN#?: Coming out of hibernation...

Pending
TBD: SoCal #35: San Diego/Lakeside
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kolme wrote:Forgive my ignorance, as I have never bought wine online before, but how does wine like this fare through shipping? I had heard from local stores that it often ships in hot trucks causing the wines flavor, aroma, and acidity to become flat. I live in Texas so weather can vary greatly (it was 97 a few days ago, although it's cool now).

Thanks in advance

No problem, it's the questions left unasked that cause problems.

How does your local shops think they get their wine? The wine ships to distributors, who then truck it to local shops. In trucks that aren't any better than FedEx or UPS trucks.

I buy from local shops, wineries, and Wine.Woot and haven't had major problems yet. Except for another online site that shipped my wine such that it sat over the July 4th holiday weekend in high heat. Haven't bought from them again as a result.

Also, during the summer months, Wine.Woot institutes Summer Shipping.

In essence, WW ships the wine via refrigerated truck to central locations in the Mid-West and East. They are then turned over to FedEx or UPS for delivery.

Sometimes there are problems, but as noted, WW is usually pretty good about replacing or crediting any problem bottles.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

muranojo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages muranojo
cortot20 wrote:We had these at the recent SoCal meetup. I did not take detailed notes but upon opening the 05' was completely hot and stemmy. We covered the labels so nothing could influence reviews but no one was surprised at the high ABV once the bottles were unwrapped. People who showed up later seemed to enjoy it more but for me it was just plainly to highly extracted and alcoholic.

The 06' suffered from over extraction as well but was immediately more drinkable. Some nice dark fruits, not enough acid and again alcohol.

I did come back to them later in the evening but my palate was pretty shot since I probably tasted through 10 wines in between so I won't comment on it later.

A lot of folks tried these at different times so you will see a wide variety of comments. I think trifecta got a chance at these 2-3 days later so I would be interested in those notes.

Sounds a bit ??, but I placed an order anyway. Now just realized we'll be gone towards the end of the week. Any way to delay delivery?

kolme

MarkDaSpark wrote:No problem, it's the questions left unasked that cause problems.

How does your local shops think they get their wine? The wine ships to distributors, who then truck it to local shops. In trucks that aren't any better than FedEx or UPS trucks.

I buy from local shops, wineries, and Wine.Woot and haven't had major problems yet. Except for another online site that shipped my wine such that it sat over the July 4th holiday weekend in high heat. Haven't bought from them again as a result.

Also, during the summer months, Wine.Woot institutes Summer Shipping.

In essence, WW ships the wine via refrigerated truck to central locations in the Mid-West and East. They are then turned over to FedEx or UPS for delivery.

Sometimes there are problems, but as noted, WW is usually pretty good about replacing or crediting any problem bottles.

Hey! Thanks for the reply!

The shops seemed to insinuate that they have refrigerated shipping (the two I spoke with), but I think it's more plausible that it's more of the situation that you described. But it sounds like I shouldn't be too worried either way .

Also thanks for that link, that's really smart that woot implements that during the summer. I'm the paranoid type, so naturally I'm overly cautious and the summer shipping along with your explanation and Cortot20s puts my fears to rest. Which is good because I spend entirely too much time staring at wine.woot and not enough time drinking wine from wine.woot.

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia
muranojo wrote: Any way to delay delivery?

If it's this week, you probably won't have a problem. Woot is not super fast on the wine shipping...I don't usually see my orders for 2-3 weeks.

That said, if you're out of town when you get the shipping notice the best thing to do is go to the fedex website via the tracking number and select 'hold my package for pick-up.' Then your wine will stay in the (hopefully air conditioned) fedex store and you can swing by when you get home. Usually they'll hold your box there for a week...if it's going to be longer than 5 days I'd call the local fedex store and tell them when you're going to come by and grab it.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
cortot20 wrote:Good question

As far as the spinning capsule test, there are many capsules that when applied to the bottle do not spin. Simply a matter of capsule material and how applied. So although a bottle that has seeped may have a capsule that doesn't spin freely, the fact that a capsule doesn't spin is not necessarily an indication of seepage.

cortot20

kaolis wrote:As far as the spinning capsule test, there are many capsules that when applied to the bottle do not spin. Simply a matter of capsule material and how applied. So although a bottle that has seeped may have a capsule that doesn't spin freely, the fact that a capsule doesn't spin is not necessarily an indication of seepage.

Most seem to fall into the spinning category, so I use it as a test when buying wines locally. Do you have a better suggestion or are you here just to crap on my mine?

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:Most seem to fall into the spinning category, so I use it as a test when buying wines locally. Do you have a better suggestion or are you here just to crap on my mine?

An interesting benchmark I'd not thought of, spin the capsule. Can we turn this into a game?

So of the three cases of bottles I just tried to spin, only 13 did so;
and I'll add most of those would more generally be considered commercial bottles.
Notably only three of what I'd consider higher end bottles spun.

Protruding corks, seepage are highly suspect.
Here's an interesting link testing for heat damaged wine.

[note to mods] poll question: how do you test for a flawed bottle?

CT

cortot20

rjquillin wrote:An interesting benchmark I'd not thought of, spin the capsule. Can we turn this into a game?

So of the three cases of bottles I just tried to spin, only 13 did so;
and I'll add most of those would more generally be considered commercial bottles.
Notably only three of what I'd consider higher end bottles spun.

Protruding corks, seepage are highly suspect.
Here's an interesting link testing for heat damaged wine.

[note to mods] poll question: how do you test for a flawed bottle?

We are going to need to put your hands and wrists through a calibration test to make sure they are inline with average human strength to validate your findings

CT

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
cortot20 wrote:Most seem to fall into the spinning category, so I use it as a test when buying wines locally. Do you have a better suggestion or are you here just to crap on my mine?

No, not all, regarding the crap. Sorry it sounded that way. Just from my personal experience I find more capsules that don't spin than do. And it seems that imports tend to spin more than domestic, that being a totally unscientific observation. I was just trying to head off people running to their wine purchases, finding capsules that didn't spin on sound wines and contacting WD for a replacement.

Again, apologies for the misunderstanding. Just trying to bring in another point of view.

cortot20

kaolis wrote:No, not all, regarding the crap. Sorry it sounded that way. Just from my personal experience I find more capsules that don't spin than do. And it seems that imports tend to spin more than domestic, that being a totally unscientific observation. I was just trying to head off people running to their wine purchases, finding capsules that didn't spin on sound wines and contacting WD for a replacement.

Again, apologies for the misunderstanding. Just trying to bring in another point of view.

Understood, then the only other way to check for light seepage (you'll know if it's boiled it will stain the shipping box from excessive heat) is just pull the foil cap off and look for a big cork stain along the side of the cork most of the way or all the way, But even that is not 100%. I have opened bottles with huge stains up the side that are perfectly fine. Any other suggestions? Or things that have not been brought up yet?

Also, any other SoCal, sosocal or NorCal folks want to comment on these wines.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kolme wrote:....Which is good because I spend entirely too much time staring at wine.woot and not enough time drinking wine from wine.woot.

EGADS! We must fix this dire problem!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rjquillin

I had the opportunity to taste both of these two, and quite a few others, a bit over a week ago, but only after they had been open and decanted for around 8 hours and had warmed to a toasty warm SoCal weekend temperature.

Caveat: Most of the wines, including these two, were not showing particularly well and I attribute that almost solely on serving temperature that was well into the mid 70's for all of them.
The few other bottles I had the opportunity to chill down a bit improved drastically. These two were not given the opportunity to benefit from chilling.

The '05 was a clear medium-deep garnet. Aroma at this stage of exposure was only moderate consisting of ripe fruit and berries, but was showing a bit promising age, and still alcohol.
Medium body, dry, with good acidity and round tannins; a bit of spice on the palate and a medium finish.

The '06 tended more towards red than garnet, slightly less depth and more clarity. Aroma again was only moderate, likely due to the extended decant, but showed more restraint than the '05 with some additional spice box on the nose.
Again a medium body, dry lively, slightly more tannic wine, but '06 was a cooler year.
While the alcohol was still clearly evident here, the extraction seemed more controlled.

I am not personally a huge fan of high extraction, high fruit wine, rather preferring a more restrained hand, so these really weren't in my wheelhouse and unfortunately due to my late arrival, were tasted under less than ideal conditions.

Chilled a bit compared to how I tasted, if you don't mind the higher alcohol (hey Stillman!), either of these should hold up well with hearty meals, and at ~$16 delivered for a bottle with some age isn't too shabby either.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

My observations are generally in line with cortot's. The 2005 seemed heavily extracted while also being quite stemmy. Plenty of alcohol on the nose and oak on the palate. I found the 2006 to be nicer overall, better balanced, and hid its high alcohol level quite well.

If you're a fan of high octane, big wines then you would probably like this. If you tried other wines from Robert Nenow Winery and enjoyed them, then you will probably enjoy this. I've tasted 4 bottles from them now, and none have been in my stylistic wheelhouse, but they all had a similar approach (big, oak, fruit, heavily extracted, etc).

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cortot20

rjquillin wrote:I had the opportunity to taste both of these two, and quite a few others, a bit over a week ago, but only after they had been open and decanted for around 8 hours and had warmed to a toasty warm SoCal weekend temperature.

Caveat: Most of the wines, including these two, were not showing particularly well and I attribute that almost solely on serving temperature that was well into the mid 70's for all of them.
The few other bottles I had the opportunity to chill down a bit improved drastically. These two were not given the opportunity to benefit from chilling.

The '05 was a clear medium-deep garnet. Aroma at this stage of exposure was only moderate consisting of ripe fruit and berries, but was showing a bit promising age, and still alcohol.
Medium body, dry, with good acidity and round tannins; a bit of spice on the palate and a medium finish.

The '06 tended more towards red than garnet, slightly less depth and more clarity. Aroma again was only moderate, likely due to the extended decant, but showed more restraint than the '05 with some additional spice box on the nose.
Again a medium body, dry lively, slightly more tannic wine, but '06 was a cooler year.
While the alcohol was still clearly evident here, the extraction seemed more controlled.

I am not personally a huge fan of high extraction, high fruit wine, rather preferring a more restrained hand, so these really weren't in my wheelhouse and unfortunately due to my late arrival, were tasted under less than ideal conditions.

Chilled a bit compared to how I tasted, if you don't mind the higher alcohol (hey Stillman!), either of these should hold up well with hearty meals, and at ~$16 delivered for a bottle with some age isn't too shabby either.

The wines were a bit chillier when first opened but folks coming a bit later would have had them at less than ideal temps.

CT

StarM

quality posts: 19 Private Messages StarM

Chiming in on Texas heat & shipping.

I've lost several bottles to South Texas heat by ordering in May prior the Summer Wine shipping protocol bring activated. Scott Harvey & Corison. So sad -- all were replaced (I ended up dealing directly with the wineries to delay shipping til the fall), but it killed me to think that those poor grapes died in vain ....

My bottles all had obvious leakage signs -- corks pushed out, stain on packing materials, extended capsules, etc., in varying degrees.

I tasted the wines & used them to further my tasting knowledge & the Corison made an excellent pan sauce. Still very sad to waste such fine wine.

Even with Summer Shipping, we are hesitant to order much for delivery in July and August. One missed delivery try (I was in the shower & didn't hear the doorbell), and your wine is making an extra round trip in a non-climate controlled FedEx truck.

Ugh ...

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
cortot20 wrote:

Also, any other SoCal, sosocal or NorCal folks want to comment on these wines.

I would prefer not but since you asked...

I tasted these shortly after opening, so they did not get much air, but the temperature was correct.

2005 hot hot blueberries NRQ, although one person disagreed with my assessment of blueberries.

2006 much more drinkable but still hot, some good fruit hiding behind the bitter tannin. Sorry these just did not work for me.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:The wines were a bit chillier when first opened but folks coming a bit later would have had them at less than ideal temps.

Well, if my car hadn't croaked on the way...
But I did make it, and taste, and take notes!
And claimed some turf.

NRQ?

CT

mal1110

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mal1110

Unrelated question:

I'm a wine woot novice. Does wine woot ever do prosecco or champagne?

dk94574

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dk94574

My ears perked up when I saw the connection to Behrens Family Winery, as Lisa and Les do a lovely job with their own brands (plus, they're super nice people, incredibly modest, and also roll a good bocce game). Based on previous comments and the price, sounds like it's a win for wine lovers who like BIG wines.

rjquillin

mal1110 wrote:Unrelated question:

I'm a wine woot novice. Does wine woot ever do prosecco or champagne?

Absolutely we have bubbly here, some damn good IH bubbly, and others;
just not often enough.

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
cortot20 wrote:We had these at the recent SoCal meetup. I did not take detailed notes but upon opening the 05' was completely hot and stemmy. We covered the labels so nothing could influence reviews but no one was surprised at the high ABV once the bottles were unwrapped. People who showed up later seemed to enjoy it more but for me it was just plainly to highly extracted and alcoholic.

We did get a chance to try these after a SoCal to NorCal hand delivery. Not sure if they were gassed after the SoCal tasting, but I think we finally got around to these on Tuesday and then again Wednesday.

Our notes are consistent with yours and others. The '05 was still way hot even after days. It was too distracting to pick up much fruit.

The '06 was in much better balance, but still was on the hot side. The fruit was on the extracted side, but still pretty good. There was a white pepper hit on the finish that was pleasant as well.

For both I would recommend a very long decant.

rjquillin

No gas this time, unfortunately it was left in the car.

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz

I tasted both at the SoCal gathering two weekends ago. I did not take detailed notes but remember thinking both wines were hot because of high alcohol which muted all other flavors (if any were present). Both seemend out of balance in terms of acidity, fruit, alcohol, and tannins...was not a big fan.

edit: I enjoy BIG wines ala Dry Creek and Paso Robles 15.0% zins

"The older I get the better I was"

cortot20

trifecta wrote:We did get a chance to try these after a SoCal to NorCal hand delivery. Not sure if they were gassed after the SoCal tasting, but I think we finally got around to these on Tuesday and then again Wednesday.

Our notes are consistent with yours and others. The '05 was still way hot even after days. It was too distracting to pick up much fruit.

The '06 was in much better balance, but still was on the hot side. The fruit was on the extracted side, but still pretty good. There was a white pepper hit on the finish that was pleasant as well.

For both I would recommend a very long decant.

I'm glad you got to try it, it means AJ was a successful mule.

CT

muranojo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages muranojo
Cyradia wrote:If it's this week, you probably won't have a problem. Woot is not super fast on the wine shipping...I don't usually see my orders for 2-3 weeks.

That said, if you're out of town when you get the shipping notice the best thing to do is go to the fedex website via the tracking number and select 'hold my package for pick-up.' Then your wine will stay in the (hopefully air conditioned) fedex store and you can swing by when you get home. Usually they'll hold your box there for a week...if it's going to be longer than 5 days I'd call the local fedex store and tell them when you're going to come by and grab it.

Thanks, appreciate your reminder that previous shipments seemed to take a while, so we should be ok. (Though now after seeing additional comments since last night, I'm not sure I should have ordered, LOL. But I'll still give them a try as the price isn't that bad.)

xibbumbero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero

Some definitions for us wine novices.
Heavily extracted= ?
NRQ= ?
TIA

cortot20

xibbumbero wrote:Some definitions for us wine novices.
Heavily extracted= ?
NRQ= ?
TIA

Heavily extracted is referring to the ripeness of the grapes at harvest. Grapes allowed to ripen longer on the vine will develop more sugar and a different flavor profile as well as higher alcohol content in the finished wine.

The other two I'm not so sure about.

CT

xibbumbero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero

TIA= Thanx in advance.

rjquillin

xibbumbero wrote:Some definitions for us wine novices.
Heavily extracted= ?
NRQ= ?
TIA

First, here is a wiki on some wine terms. There are others, some better, some worse.

I think grapes can be quite ripe, but not heavily extracted. It depends on how/what the winemaker did with the grapes and must. Long skin contact, heavy pressing can lead to over-extraction.
Wine Spectator comments thusly.

NRQ; just learned this one myself.
No Redeeming Qualities.

TIA; yup, Thanks In Advance.

Welcome.
Ask questions. Here and of the winemakers when they appear.
It's how we learn to more fully enjoy why we're here and what we do.

CT

mal1110

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mal1110
rjquillin wrote:Absolutely we have bubbly here, some damn good IH bubbly, and others;
just not often enough.

IH?

And thanks! Sorry for the newb-ness. Really looking to get my hands on some for summer evenings and I'd love to get them from woot if possible!

rjquillin

mal1110 wrote:IH?

And thanks! Sorry for the newb-ness. Really looking to get my hands on some for summer evenings and I'd love to get them from woot if possible!

Iron Horse
Search the past threads or CT (Cellar Tracker)

You've been around longer than I.
You just recently find wine.woot?

CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

A little late to the party.... but I also tried these at the recent SoCal gathering. Like the others have said, these wines are extracted and warm. I guessed the ABV on the 2005 to be 15.5% and was astonished to see 16.9% on the label! The 2006 was more balanced for my palate, but the 2005 had more complexity.

Medium color density, average for a Syrah; color is red, more on the garnet side than purple. Nice bottle bouquet on the nose; black cherry, plum and some minty/basil herb notes. More of a blackberry/plum palate; a bit sweet on the initial attack and soft on the acidity. There is also something green on the finish, maybe eucalyptus.

Similar in color. Some alcohol heat on the nose. Blackberry and licorice nose. Decent acidity and a little more fruit forward that the 2005. Blackberry palate with same green finish; not as unpleasant as it sounds.

jsw777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsw777

14 minutes left buy or no buy?