quality posts: 1625 Private Messages Cesare

Viñanza Spanish Cabernet and Syrah 6-Pack
$64.99 $115.00 43% off List Price
2012 Viñanza Cabernet Sauvignon
2012 Viñanza Syrah

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Korista

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Korista

The picture actually shows 2 bottles of Cabernet, 2 bottles of Syrah and 2 bottles of Tempranillo not 3 of Cabernet and 3 of Syrah.

Can you confirm whether it's the 3/3 combination or the 2/2/2?

Thanks!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Everything is right with the world

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

I got a chance to sample the 2012 Viñanza Syrah. I thought it was NV since there was no visible vintage on the bottle. Speaking of the bottle, it is long and elegant with a short, natural cork enclosure.

In the glass, the wine is a deep maroon color, bordering on purple. Slow forming, slow running legs. On the nose, black cherry and other dark fruits along with crushed violets, cigar box and raw meat. Maybe a touch of sandalwood.

This is a medium bodied wine that is juicy but does not have that savory characteristic which is found in many Syrahs. Dark fruits on the entry, predominantly plum and tart blackberry. A green olive note shows up in the mid-palate along with mild oak, meat and some earthiness.

Two things that surprised me about this wine - there is very little in the way of spice notes on the nose or palate and it is surprisingly acidic on the back end. I kind of liked the perception of elevated acidity but it did seem odd at first. It was less noticeable as the wine opened up in the glass.

Medium finish with moderate tannins, this wine goes down easily and immediately begs for another sip. Probably best drunk young, this is a very quaffable and interesting Spanish Syrah and is a good value at the woot offer price.

EDIT: HERE is a CT entry for the Syrah.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

This offer is 3 cab and 3 Syrah.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

cortot20

quality posts: 144 Private Messages cortot20
chipgreen wrote:I got a chance to sample the 2012 Viñanza Syrah. I thought it was NV since there was no visible vintage on the bottle. Speaking of the bottle, it is long and elegant with a short, natural cork enclosure.

In the glass, the wine is a deep maroon color, bordering on purple. Slow forming, slow running legs. On the nose, black cherry and other dark fruits along with crushed violets, cigar box and raw meat. Maybe a touch of sandalwood.

This is a medium bodied wine that is juicy but does not have that savory characteristic which is found in many Syrahs. Dark fruits on the entry, predominantly plum and tart blackberry. A green olive note shows up in the mid-palate along with mild oak, meat and some earthiness.

Two things that surprised me about this wine - there is very little in the way of spice notes on the nose or palate and it is surprisingly acidic on the back end. I kind of liked the perception of elevated acidity but it did seem odd at first. It was less noticeable as the wine opened up in the glass.

Medium finish with moderate tannins, this wine goes down easily and immediately begs for another sip. Probably best drunk young, this is a very quaffable and interesting Spanish Syrah and is a good value at the woot offer price.

EDIT: HERE is a CT entry for the Syrah.

International chip always comes through. Thanks for the notes.

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Since we have mirror images of the wines, it seemed appropriate for me to mirror the tasting notes of chipgreen, so here goes (Thanks Chip for the go-by). This should make it simple and easy to decide if these wines are for you.

I got a chance to sample the Viñanza Cabernet Sauvignon. I thought it was NV since there was no visible vintage on the bottle. Speaking of the bottle, it is long and elegant with a short, natural cork enclosure.

In the glass, the wine is a deep maroon color. Slow forming, slow running legs. On the nose, currant, not sure of red or black, and other less noticeable or specific dark fruits.

This is a medium bodied wine that is not complex or powerful or meaty. On the entry, predominantly currant, with a little plum and blackberry.

One thing that surprised me about this wine - there is very little in the way of spice notes (i.e. pepper) on the nose or palate. There was no acidic finish on the back end. I found no warm sweetness as the vintner describes.

Medium finish with soft tannins. This wine goes down easily. Probably best drunk young. This is a very quaffable and interesting Spanish Cabernet Sauvignon and is a good value at the woot offer price. We drank this with a nice New York strip steak and it was an excellent pairing.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
neilfindswine wrote:This offer is 3 cab and 3 Syrah.

But, but, the Tempe; what happened to the tempe?

You throw an office party and drink it all?

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
rjquillin wrote:But, but, the Tempe; what happened to the tempe?

You throw an office party and drink it all?

Neil posted 28 minutes ago, so 6:30. He was either up early or still up...you make the call. Might explain why no tempranillo.

blaculadave

quality posts: 18 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

neilfindswine wrote:This offer is 3 cab and 3 Syrah.

Image is all fixed now. Sorry for the confusion everyone.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

jmdavidson wrote:Neil posted 28 minutes ago, so 6:30. He was either up early or still up...you make the call. Might explain why no tempranillo.

It definitely might....

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

museum13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages museum13

MD is listed on your "ship to" states, but your site won't let me purchase and ship it MD...get your act together.

blaculadave

quality posts: 18 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

museum13 wrote:MD is listed on your "ship to" states, but your site won't let me purchase and ship it MD...get your act together.

Try it now. All should be resolved.