Windsor Oaks Reserve Chalk Hill Cabernet Sauvignon 3-Pack
$79.99 $155.00 48% off List Price
2008 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Chalk Hill, Sonoma County
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

Hey all, I just happened to get to try one of these and I actually took some notes:

Color - dark, clear purple

Nose - plum, hint of cedar, and a little Serrano pepper.

Taste - plum, a little dusty and leather. Well balanced, not jammy. Tannins evident but not overpowering.

Finish - medium length, mainly acid & tannins.

So those are the notes, the bottom line is that I've been waiting for this to show up so I could buy some more.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

And if you can't be first sudker, it's an honor in this case:

Speed to first woot: 5m 55.550s
First sucker:mill
Last wooter to woot:UBlink
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Man have the Woot gods been kind to me, got home form a brutal day at work Thursday and lo and behold My gumba monkey had stopped by again, while the dude drives my wife and dog crazy, me? I love the little guy. A bottle of Windsor Oaks 2008 "Reserve" Cab, Reserve??? Oh boy this should be good.
Opened bottle Saturday night and did a direct pour 1st 1/2 glass, medium to dark purple color, nice aroma, with good legs. 1st drink very mellow, dry, and great structure , good fruit-forward and has depth. Got to the bottom of the glass and was loaded with sediment, ugh spit out immediately. Looked at the cork and it has maybe a 64th of inch of sediment. Had to use aerator with screen the rest of the way. Did detect a touch of vanilla, now I'm not a vanilla fan, but this was light enough to not ruin the wine for me. Excellently paired with my normal Saturday night Ribeye, would be great with Pizza also.
Saw this on the web priced $45 to $50 range. Good reviews and rating (90 to 92 points) all in all this was a good wine, I would compare this to the 2008 Meeker Kiss Ridge Cab. & 2006 Robert Nenow Napa Valley Cab, But not a White Oak Cab.

deckerbrian

quality posts: 16 Private Messages deckerbrian

I have gotten this from Invino a couple times. It's been on there for $30 so this is a pretty good deal too.

Great Cab. There is a hint of vanilla and dark fruits. Pretty dry, but not over the top. Personally I like the grit from the sediment...not a mouthful of it, but how it makes the rest of the bottle cling to the tongue.

I'm in for three.

gwpriester

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gwpriester

Those are phony grapes in the photograph. And those phony grapes are table grapes not wine grapes and especially not Cabernet Sauvignon grapes.

Does sound like a great wine however.

deckerbrian

I stand corrected. I will not order three. Iowa is not on the list. Very odd it usually is. If the winery can help me out, I would still purchase.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

The Wine Enthusiast review that was referenced:

Great structure on this Cab, with firm tannins and a fine hit of acidity. It’s ripe and appealing with black cherries, cherry liqueur, vanilla and oak. Already throwing significant sediment, it should continue to evolve in interesting ways for a few more years. Steve Heimoff
— (5/1/2013) — 90

And from IWC:

90 Points | International Wine Cellar , May/June 2013
(aged for 24 months in French oak): Saturated ruby. Oak-spiced aromas and flavors of cherry and dark berries, with notes of mocha and pipe tobacco gaining strength with air. Fleshy and smooth in texture, offering smoky dark fruit flavors and a good dose of vanilla. Closes chewy and persistent, leaving smoke and cherry-vanilla notes behind. (JR)

And info from Invino mentioned above:

https://www.invino.com/wine/cabernet-sauvignon-chalk-hill-sonoma/DMVKLZ9E4I78.html

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gwpriester wrote:Those are phony grapes in the photograph. And those phony grapes are table grapes not wine grapes and especially not Cabernet Sauvignon grapes.

Does sound like a great wine however.

It makes a nice looking photo though, doesn't it?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dlschier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlschier
deckerbrian wrote:I stand corrected. I will not order three. Iowa is not on the list. Very odd it usually is. If the winery can help me out, I would still purchase.

Looks like this winery does not have a license for Iowa.

mandoo500

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mandoo500
UBlink wrote:And if you can't be first sudker, it's an honor in this case:

Speed to first woot: 5m 55.550s
First sucker:mill
Last wooter to woot:UBlink
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

Long live mill

deckerbrian

dlschier wrote:Looks like this winery does not have a license for Iowa.

I have ordered from the winery once also. They don't have a license but they sent through another company. They have a Zinfandel and a Super Tuscan that are also top notch.

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

Quick question for the winery, I see the reserve cab in your wine shop but not the regular bottling. If I wanted to try both to get a nice comparison where would I go about finding it?

CT

juancalamari

quality posts: 2 Private Messages juancalamari
UBlink wrote:Hey all, I just happened to get to try one of these and I actually took some notes:

Color - dark, clear purple

Nose - plum, hint of cedar, and a little Serrano pepper.

Taste - plum, a little dusty and leather. Well balanced, not jammy. Tannins evident but not overpowering.

Finish - medium length, mainly acid & tannins.

So those are the notes, the bottom line is that I've been waiting for this to show up so I could buy some more.

Thanks ublink! Couldn't agree more.

juancalamari

Hi everyone - John here, I'm the GM at Windsor Oaks. I'll be checking in on everyone's questions. Thanks for everyone's comments so far!

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday
fredrinaldi wrote:I would compare this to the 2008 Meeker Kiss Ridge Cab. & 2006 Robert Nenow Napa Valley Cab, But not a White Oak Cab.

Damn you, Fred. I was good with not buying until you name dropped the meeker 08. In for at least one.

juancalamari

fredrinaldi wrote:Man have the Woot gods been kind to me, got home form a brutal day at work Thursday and lo and behold My gumba monkey had stopped by again, while the dude drives my wife and dog crazy, me? I love the little guy. A bottle of Windsor Oaks 2008 "Reserve" Cab, Reserve??? Oh boy this should be good.
Opened bottle Saturday night and did a direct pour 1st 1/2 glass, medium to dark purple color, nice aroma, with good legs. 1st drink very mellow, dry, and great structure , good fruit-forward and has depth. Got to the bottom of the glass and was loaded with sediment, ugh spit out immediately. Looked at the cork and it has maybe a 64th of inch of sediment. Had to use aerator with screen the rest of the way. Did detect a touch of vanilla, now I'm not a vanilla fan, but this was light enough to not ruin the wine for me. Excellently paired with my normal Saturday night Ribeye, would be great with Pizza also.
Saw this on the web priced $45 to $50 range. Good reviews and rating (90 to 92 points) all in all this was a good wine, I would compare this to the 2008 Meeker Kiss Ridge Cab. & 2006 Robert Nenow Napa Valley Cab, But not a White Oak Cab.

Hey Fred-Sorry about the sediment! Julie is very non-interventionist, no fining, no filtering...and especially with a wine with some age on it, sediment can happen. I guess we should have warned people-decant!

juancalamari

greyday wrote:Damn you, Fred. I was good with not buying until you name dropped the meeker 08. In for at least one.

Nice to be in good company! Thanks!

juancalamari

deckerbrian wrote:I stand corrected. I will not order three. Iowa is not on the list. Very odd it usually is. If the winery can help me out, I would still purchase.

Hi, Sorry about Iowa-we are really small and haven't yet had customers there! If you email me at john@windsoroaks.com let's see what we can figure out. Thanks!

ptjohn2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ptjohn2

We have had it and loved it. Got some in the cellar now. I'd order more at this great price but they can't ship to MN!

Patrick T Johnson

cortot20

How about my earlier question. About finding the non reserve cab?

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:Quick question for the winery, I see the reserve cab in your wine shop but not the regular bottling. If I wanted to try both to get a nice comparison where would I go about finding it?

Bump. Does a non-reserve wine exist or is all the CS labeled "Reserve"?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi
juancalamari wrote:Hey Fred-Sorry about the sediment! Julie is very non-interventionist, no fining, no filtering...and especially with a wine with some age on it, sediment can happen. I guess we should have warned people-decant!

No problem, won't be the last time it happens, Very good wine, enjoyed it.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
kylemittskus wrote:Bump. Does a non-reserve wine exist or is all the CS labeled "Reserve"?

Looking at CT, it would seem somewhat likely. There are at least 11 bottles in holdings of '08 and '09 non reserve cab.... Could be misfiled but 11 is a lot for that mistake.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cortot20

cmaldoon wrote:Looking at CT, it would seem somewhat likely. There are at least 11 bottles in holdings of '08 and '09 non reserve cab.... Could be misfiled but 11 is a lot for that mistake.

I'm guessing it's a mistake. 1 person puts the wine in wrong. People then find it and mistakingly add bottles.
I think the reserve designation is a marketing ploy to inflate the price. This is a pass for me.

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
cortot20 wrote:I'm guessing it's a mistake. 1 person puts the wine in wrong. People then find it and mistakingly add bottles.
I think the reserve designation is a marketing ploy to inflate the price. This is a pass for me.

Remember, wine taste has so much to do with perception. Just putting reserve on the label may indeed make it taste better.

Besides, reserve or not, it is value that matters. This got several good reviews here and is probably worth a flyer to many people.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

juancalamari

cortot20 wrote:Quick question for the winery, I see the reserve cab in your wine shop but not the regular bottling. If I wanted to try both to get a nice comparison where would I go about finding it?

Hi, we're sold out of our regular Cab-we're all direct so I'm afraid that's it until 2012!

cortot20

juancalamari wrote:Hi, we're sold out of our regular Cab-we're all direct so I'm afraid that's it until 2012!

Thanks for the info. What is the deciding factor as to which vineyard blocks make the reserve cut? And how does the winemaking and cooperage differ between the two?

CT

juancalamari

cortot20 wrote:Thanks for the info. What is the deciding factor as to which vineyard blocks make the reserve cut? And how does the winemaking and cooperage differ between the two?

We're primarily a vineyard operation; we only make wine from about 10% of our fruit (225 acres), so we like to think we get the pick of the litter to begin with. For our Reserve wines we separate at the crush pad (hand sorted) by block section and row. Block 35, where most of this Cab came from, has a knoll with a south facing slope that always does well, for example. The selectors are fermented separately. Nothing really different during fermentation but we use a higher percentage of new oak and typically go 22-24 months aging for the Reserve.

jaykid007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jaykid007

In for one!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
juancalamari wrote:We're primarily a vineyard operation; we only make wine from about 10% of our fruit (225 acres), so we like to think we get the pick of the litter to begin with. For our Reserve wines we separate at the crush pad (hand sorted) by block section and row. Block 35, where most of this Cab came from, has a knoll with a south facing slope that always does well, for example. The selectors are fermented separately. Nothing really different during fermentation but we use a higher percentage of new oak and typically go 22-24 months aging for the Reserve.

Thanks for the really thorough answer. How are the grapes doing right now? Your perspective is interesting since you are primarily grape-centered with wine knowledge and experience. Love to get some '12!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

Info post:
All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wineing.

CT

juancalamari

kylemittskus wrote:Thanks for the really thorough answer. How are the grapes doing right now? Your perspective is interesting since you are primarily grape-centered with wine knowledge and experience. Love to get some '12!

Sorry for the late answer-just got to the winery after some late night wine selling This is going to be a really interesting year. With the record setting lack of rainfall we experienced this year, the vines are poised to produce a small crop of very small berries. While this doesn't do much for the pocket book, it does offer the possibility of some really concentrated flavors, which we're looking forward to. We're on our own wells and ponds here, so our water situation is better than many who depend on Lake Sonoma, Mendocino or the Russian River for their water, but it will still be a tricky year for water management. Forecast is for a pretty warm summer, so we expect a fairly early, short harvest. In any case, we're looking forward to some really pure, concentrated wines with good structure-more like 09 than 12.

Thanks for your questions and support! We'd love to see you all up here at Windsor Oaks! John