True Grit Reserve Petite Sirah 4-Pack
$79.99 $136.00 41% off List Price
2011 True Grit Reserve Petite Sirah, Mendocino
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

Hey! I just had this.
Had this on 5/3/14, decanted two hours before trying. It opened up with a very earthy funky nose that blew off later in the evening. Big dark fruit, a bit of plum maybe blackberry. Finishes with very mouth drying tannins

There was some noticeable sediment although I did not notice the purple teeth that I am so accustomed to seeing with a PS. I was very surprised by the nose as was some other tasters who tried it, I usually like a funky nose on a Pinot or a well aged bottle that has just been opened. I don't recall the wine feeling zippy or flabby but I would go to say this wine is not food ready, give it time to settle down and resolve the tannins a bit and bring the fruit down to a level where it would accompany food and not over power it. This seems like a good age worthy PS but I don't know 100%, especially since the nose was so odd initially. $20 seems like a fair price for it I don't think I would pay more.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman

We got a sample of this last night! I don't have my notes on me, but it's a young PS that's rather well behaved for its age. Plenty of fruit and tannin, not too complex, but for $20 + tax/ship it's a pretty reasonable value.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:We got a sample of this last night! I don't have my notes on me, but it's a young PS that's rather well behaved for its age. Plenty of fruit and tannin, not too complex, but for $20 + tax/ship it's a pretty reasonable value.

And it's PS to boot!!! In for 2!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of May 4.

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
May

TBD: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn

June
TBD: NoVA #30: Theme TBD

Summer
est. August 4-6: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread

Pending
TBD: SoCal #35: San Diego/Lakeside
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
klezman wrote:We got a sample of this last night! I don't have my notes on me, but it's a young PS that's rather well behaved for its age. Plenty of fruit and tannin, not too complex, but for $20 + tax/ship it's a pretty reasonable value.

By the time I got to this, there wasn't any funk left in the nose; I picked up plums, blackberries and oak. However when drinking it, the solid curtain of tannins didn't allow much fruit to be revealed, even though it had been in the decanter for several hours at that point. So young and closed, its hard for me to judge it. Get your vinturi out and take a couple of passes with it, or be prepared to store it a good long while. Fans of the varietal will probably enjoy it (eventually), and the price seems fair for the juice.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

What I like to call, "pulling a Sparky."

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

Fwiw if you're in a woot non ship state, this same wine is at wine.com for $19.99 and shipping is only $5.00 there as well with the code SHIP5.

EDIT: looks like the 2011 is available in some states but not others even though they ship to that state.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

I also had an opportunity to taste this. My notes are limited but I recall glass staining purple color, medium weight, blueberry (though mostly muted) taste with lots of puckering tannins. Overall, it was a bit too generic for my liking though it may be due to its youthfullness?

"The older I get the better I was"

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

I also tasted this on Saturday and I got a little funk on the nose, mostly plum blackberries and it seemed pretty light on it's feet for a PS. Even tho most of the wimps I was drinking this with thought the tannin was strong or overwhelming, I thought it was spot on

IMO a pretty good buy if you're a PS fan which I am not (so shoot me)

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah

I bought an order of this when it was up on the side deal for the PS I Love You/Dark & Delicious sale this year.

I've enjoyed previous vintages as well, and this one is nice. While some of the other vintages have had other grapes in them (typically Syrah, and one year there was also a Cote Rotie-style blend that included some viognier as well, which was very interesting), this one is 100% PS.

I agree with the other PoSters that this is pretty well-behaved, and certainly not a tannin monster like many PS of its age cohort, and in fact, is rather approachable. Flavor-wise you get some nice dark berries, and a bit of pie filling without going all the way to jam.

It's a good PS that you'd pour for somebody who isn't a PSycho to introduce them -- it's very varietally correct. Structure-wise, I'd put one aside for long-aging as an experiment, but wouldn't do that for the bulk of them. I like the flavors on this wine, but I don't think it's built for decades of aging. But at the very attractive price point of $20/bottle, it doesn't need to be built for the long haul.

This is a very nice wine to accompany BBQ, burgers, steaks, sausages, and anything on the grill.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
tytiger58 wrote:IMO a pretty good buy if you're a PS fan which I am not (so shoot me)

Please report for the firing squad...

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
ThunderThighs wrote:What I like to call, "pulling a Sparky."

At least I gave my recollections. Gotta get the paper out of molarchae's purse!

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:
At least I gave my recollections. Gotta get the paper out of molarchae's purse!

Horrors and a firing squad to he that is brave, or stupid, enough to dig into swmbo's secret bag of ~deleted~.

I too got a taste of this Saturday night at a gathering. I arrived quite late and what remained had been decanted well over seven hours earlier, and was at a rather warm to hot "room" temperature when I finally got a pour.

Other comments mentioned some funk, I found none, for me it was quite closed down, for me lacking much nose at all, but what was there were dark berries.
Entry, at this temperature, was sharp and abrupt. There were the dark berries, but first sip also had a salty component I didn't understand or notice later. I would call the tannins to be medium to high and dry to hard; but it's a PS, a young PS at that. Others are far more versed with young PS that I, so I'll defer to the earlier reviews when this was properly chilled.

$20 for a proper PS seems about right.

CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

I also had the opportunity to try this at the SoCal gathering.

Dark ruby color, more on the purple side. It's not the darkest PS, actually it's color density is on the lighter side to what I'm used to seeing in a PS; the cool vintage was probably a factor. Initial nose had a bright harsh aroma like CO2 with an odor similar to sour beer. Fortunatly, that went away with some swirling. Aromas of blackberry, cranberry and some juniper berry came through after the CO2 and funk blew off. Nice acidity attack and lots of fine tannin. Flavors of grape and plum on the palate. Some oak on the finish.

This wine is a baby but it has the structure to age. I agree with PetiteSirah that this is a good suite for a novice to PS (or a wimp as tytiger would say lol) Age it a few years to mellow it out and allow some complexity to develop.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I have a bottle of the 2005 vintage sitting in my cellar.

I'll have to open it some day, or some year.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

Info post:
All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wineing.

CT