hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

It's Pool TIme Again

SubTheme: Mediterranean - Think of the clear blue waters on the beaches of France, Spain, Greece, Morocco, Israel, Turkey, etc. and bring wines to go with it. I think grilled seafood may be on order.

Date: Saturday, August 23, 2014
Time: 5:00pm -
Host: hershelk

Updated 7/22/14

The summer is here and the pool is open for the season. That means it is time for another Woot wine tasting by the pool. The summer schedule is filling up and the final date that worked for me and seemed best for other is August 23rd.

One thought on theme I had was Mediterranean. we could do wines from regions on the mediterranean as well as similarly themed foods. Seemed to go with sitting by the pool.

Coming:
hershelk +2 - Nero D'Avola, Sciachetra, Vegetables to grill, +
tripgrad - San Rustico Amarone Della Valpolicella Vigneti del Gaso 2007; sharp cheese
onebassplayer
sukiasa +1 - Barolo, chicken
aranderson - White wine from Greece
cjseige - Greek marinated Chicken, White from Greece
greeneggsandham + 1 - Albarino, AN/2 - Mallorca, Greek red desert wine; frutti di mare (& hummus)
mstein609 - Italian Sparkler, perhaps something else as well

Maybe:
wkpanda +1
kkv123 +1
sukiasa +2

CT

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Sounds lovely! Mediterranean theme brings so many possibilities to bear.

June 28 works much better for me. I can only be there in spirit on June 21.

onebassplayer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages onebassplayer

Blah, both of those dates are not good for me :-(

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

love pool time

will be there as long as schedule permits!!

according to wiki, looks like french and italian are still in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mediterranean_countries

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

cjsiege

*bump*

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

I can't do the 21st but I can do the 28th. InShadows can't do either but he doesn't seem to want to log in and put a comment up.

CT

sukeiasa

sigh... once upon a time this was a super active forum.....

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

hershelk

Due to some extenuating circumstance, I can't have a Woot tasting in June. Actually, I can't really do it till the end of August. So instead I am looking to see if people would prefer August 23rd, 30th or 31st. The last 2 dates are over Labor Day weekend. Doesn't mean someone else can't have one earlier.

CT

aranderson

Aug. 23rd works for me but not the other dates.

CT

sukeiasa

i hope everything is ok!

late august should be fine. 23rd sounds good for now.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Going to have to pass on those August dates. End of August, beginning of Sept, will be away on vacation. The June dates didn't work either (too freaking busy with family).

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

I want to attend whenever Hershel can host. If it's going to be sweltering, I want to suggest Sangria.
Let's not wait until August for some kind of gathering.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

onebassplayer

August 23rd is good for me!

hershelk

sukeiasa wrote:i hope everything is ok!

late august should be fine. 23rd sounds good for now.

Everything is fine, I just have to lay off of wine till August. Speaking of which, if you still want on the RPM tour (+1 included), you better check in or you are about to lose your spot.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
sukeiasa wrote:sigh... once upon a time this was a super active forum.....

check the rpm tour thread!

PM

CT

hershelk

My last set of summer conflicts just sorted themselves out, so it looks like August 23rd it is. Anyone have any better ideas, or should we go with the Mediterranean theme?

CT

tripgrad

hershelk wrote:My last set of summer conflicts just sorted themselves out, so it looks like August 23rd it is. Anyone have any better ideas, or should we go with the Mediterranean theme?

Great! Count me in.
Mediterranean would include Spain, South of France, Italy, Sicily, Croatia, Greece, Israel...
Others?

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

hershelk

We are a month out, so it is time to start confirming who is coming and what they are bringing. The Mediterranean cover a big swath, so if you bring something French or Spanish, make sure it is form the Mediterranean coast. It would be interesting to seem something Turkish, Greek, Albanian or Israeli. Food stuff as well should be from the region. I will have something for the grill and I haven't thought about wines yet. I will also probably have +3 or +4. Some may be semi-regulars, though Amy can't make it this time. SO far I see several people on the board that said the 23rd works for them, so I will update the top to include. If you can't come now, let me know.

CT

cjsiege

I should be able to make it - as long as work doesn't pull me away again.

Sorry to hear that Amy will not be with us. She's such a great addition. I'll miss her being there.

greeneggsandham

quality posts: 2 Private Messages greeneggsandham

Would be delighted to attend +1

Knowing my wife, she’s like to bring a bit of everything for food.

What food gaps need plugging?

Do you usually coordinate the wine in advance, or just see what variety shows up?

hershelk

greeneggsandham wrote:Would be delighted to attend +1

Knowing my wife, she’s like to bring a bit of everything for food.

What food gaps need plugging?

Do you usually coordinate the wine in advance, or just see what variety shows up?

Currently food is wide open, just post what you would like to bring. Similarly with wine. As we get closer post here what you want to bring and I will add it to the list. Amount of coordination usually depends on the theme. This theme is pretty inclusive, so bring what you would like within the theme.

CT

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Going to throw a maybe out there for me and Elaine. Not sure what's going on with travel at the moment, but if we can make it, we will.

-Andy

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

mstein609

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609

I will just be back from jolly old England, but I plan to come. For wine, I plan to bring an Italian sparkler at least. What else I bring will depend on what I see in the way of food. If seafood does turn out to be a thing for the mains, probably an Italian or southern French white (maybe a white CdP?), or perhaps a Provencal rose.

For food, I will probably bring something appetizer/saladish - tabouli or perhaps stuffed grape leaves.

onebassplayer

Any way we can post who is bringing what, and I can perhaps try and fill in a 'gap' food/wine region?

cjsiege

onebassplayer wrote:Any way we can post who is bringing what, and I can perhaps try and fill in a 'gap' food/wine region?

That rather assumes this crowd is able to plan that far ahead.

I am planning to bring my Greek-marinated chicken. If I can find my bottle of some sort of white wine made in Greece, I'll bring that also. Or maybe not.

aranderson

I have a bottle of white wine from Greece that I am planning to bring. Not sure what food item I will bring. If I can find an easy recipe for baklava I will attempt to make that.

CT

hershelk

I was planning on Pulling out a Nero D'Avola (AL KE) which is a Sicilian wine and and a Sciacchetra dessert wine from Cinque Terre in Italy. I can be flexible however. Not sure on food. Probably a bunch of veggies from the garden to grill.

CT

cjsiege

Don't forget! The Mediterranean theme opens us up for a W - I - D - E array of wines and foods!

sukeiasa

cjsiege wrote:Don't forget! The Mediterranean theme opens us up for a W - I - D - E array of wines and foods!

i got some barolo ready for now... maybe some spanish wine as well... don't have any sparklers but french or californians... might bring some champ anyways...

hershelk

The details are beginning to fill in. If you are coming, let us know. If you know what you are going to bring, tell us. If you need directions ask and I will PM them.

CT

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123

I had hoped to post that kkv123 is in! With a +1, and a pair of Spanish wines (red and white) in tow.

But alas, a recent telephone call may require that I attend to an urgent family matter this weekend instead. I'll know more in the next day or two.

So in the meantime, pencil me in as a maybe.

greeneggsandham

I was thinking of:

Albarino,
AN/2 - Mallorca,
And a complete flyer on a bottle of Greek red desert wine.

I was thing of hummus (my wife uses a fair amount of garlic!) and couscous/taboulishish side, but it sounds like we're short on actual seafood, so I'll hit the recipe drawer and check back.

sukeiasa

i'm at +1 right now... might go up to +3?

probably bring over some supermarket rotisserie chicken to account for extra heads....

greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham wrote:I was thinking of:

Albarino,
AN/2 - Mallorca,
And a complete flyer on a bottle of Greek red desert wine.

I was thing of hummus (my wife uses a fair amount of garlic!) and couscous/taboulishish side, but it sounds like we're short on actual seafood, so I'll hit the recipe drawer and check back.

I'll go with frutti di mare (& hummus.)

tripgrad

I'm going to bring a blended red wine from Italy that goes well with grilled meats, it says.
San Rustico Amarone Della Valpolicella Vigneti del Gaso 2007
and sharp cheese.
Not going to bring a swimsuit.
😇

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

hershelk

tripgrad wrote:
Not going to bring a swimsuit.

Luckily, I have plenty of spares.

CT

sukeiasa

hershelk wrote:Luckily, I have plenty of spares.

big thanks for hershelk for hosting yet another awesome event!

greeneggsandham

sukeiasa wrote:big thanks for hershelk for hosting yet another awesome event!

+1

tripgrad

Many thanks to our fabulous Host for his hospitality.
Nice to have met some new people who attended for 1st time. Please come back again.
Bon voyage to CJ.
Kristen, you're up next...

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
tripgrad wrote:Many thanks to our fabulous Host for his hospitality.
Nice to have met some new people who attended for 1st time. Please come back again.
Bon voyage to CJ.
Kristen, you're up next...

Not for love or money.

I am so totally incapable of replicating what I experienced at hershelk's - I defer to you instead.

Perhaps we might take up the brilliant suggestion offered by sukeiasa in planning a wine dinner. Sounds fabulous!

And speaking of fabulous, greeneggsandham, the frutti di mare graciously prepared by your +1 was OUTSTANDING! If she would be willing to share her recipe with me via a PM, I would be most appreciative. It's the only one I've ever liked!