2010 Toccata Dolcetto, Santa Barbara County
2009 Toccata Freisa, Santa Barbara County
2009 Nebbiolo Barbera, Santa Barbara County
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

It has been a long time since we've seen L&L here, I think we were just talking of Toccata in another thread earlier this week.

I purchased some of these direct from the winery, on the way home after the Garagiste tasting in Paso, earlier this year.

Good to see Neil and/or WD pull this together again.

Perhaps not quite the QPR of Pedroncelli, but damn close.
Absolutely solid at ~$10/btl.
And I got 1st sucker as well.

CT

BlackDrez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BlackDrez

Looks like one I'd spring for in a minute if New Mexico was on the list - I like the mixed cases like this one. If the winery chimes in here maybe they'll honor the Woot price and ship direct as Pedroncelli has done? Please?

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:It has been a long time since we've seen L&L here, I think we were just talking of Toccata in another thread earlier this week.

I purchased some of these direct from the winery, on the way home after the Garagiste tasting in Paso, earlier this year.

Yep, happy to see this offer. A nice variety of L&L wines at a very reasonable price.

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman

Happy to see these back! Wish I had room for them. I'll just have to try others' purchases.

The 2004 Mandolina Toccata Riserva was a private label for a friend and one of my previous woots. It was also one of my good friends' wedding wines. Great stuff!

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

revmem

quality posts: 2 Private Messages revmem

"wine may only be delivered to the following states:" ... and New York is the only one beginning with "New." Yet, according to the sites you link to, several other "New" states allow direct shipping. Have you uniq'd your list on the first word only? Or am I missing something? I see North Dakota is in the same boat.

-mm- (from New Hampshire, which I was pretty sure allowed direct shipping)

-mm-

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

revmem wrote:"wine may only be delivered to the following states:" ... and New York is the only one beginning with "New." Yet, according to the sites you link to, several other "New" states allow direct shipping. Have you uniq'd your list on the first word only? Or am I missing something? I see North Dakota is in the same boat.

-mm- (from New Hampshire, which I was pretty sure allowed direct shipping)

Wine.Woot is currently not able to offer wine deals in certain states, but will be opening up additional states as laws and regulations regarding selling wine online continue to evolve.

You're welcome to also check out this thread to discuss and talk about current Wine Shipping Laws

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bflohl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bflohl

Wow, a blast from the past. I wooted some of this in 2007. Hung on to some of it for a while, so can attest to its cellaring for a least a few years. In for one.

foobarski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages foobarski

Likewise, I bought the mixed cases when they were offered in 2009 and 2011, and there wasn't a bad bottle in the lot. (Including the ones that we hung on to for a couple of years.)
We enjoyed them so much that we joined their wine club a couple years ago.
Gonna have to see if I can't make room for at least one of today's offering ...

bflohl wrote:Wow, a blast from the past. I wooted some of this in 2007. Hung on to some of it for a while, so can attest to its cellaring for a least a few years. In for one.

"Is there anything a man don't stand to lose, when the devil wants to take it all away?
Cherish well your thoughts, and keep a tight grip on your booze.
Cause thinkin' and drinkin' are all I have today."
-- John Perry Barlow / Bob Weir ("Mexicali Blues")

browncj7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages browncj7

Picked up the Lucas & Lewellen Mandolina Toccata Mix in Nov 2011. I remember these wines being very good. 2011, so long ago...

In for a case!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bflohl wrote:Wow, a blast from the past. I wooted some of this in 2007. Hung on to some of it for a while, so can attest to its cellaring for a least a few years. In for one.

Same here. I accidentally lost track of a couple of bottles for a couple of years, and was surprised to find how beautifully it had held up. Well-made wines, they are.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
ThunderThighs wrote:Wine.Woot is currently not able to offer wine deals in certain states, but will be opening up additional states as their interpretation of laws and regulations regarding selling wine online continue to evolve.

You're welcome to also check out this thread to discuss and talk about current Wine Shipping Laws

IFTFY

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

Just a comment on pricing. When I picked up some at the Solvang TR after Garagiste, back in November of last year, seems like just a few months ago, the pricing was;

2009 PN $25,
2008 Nebbilio $28
2010 Barbera $29

Thanks again Neil.

CT

liverman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman

This looks very tempting given the positive comments by many of you. However, the cellar is overflowing (literally - I have unopened boxes on the floor). So I have to have a really good reason to buy more

Are these done in an old-world style? How does the Barbera compare to Scott Harvey's, for example.

Regards,

Greg

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

rjquillin wrote:It has been a long time since we've seen L&L here, I think we were just talking of Toccata in another thread earlier this week.

thanks. yes we have been pounding the pavement for another L & L offer. Very glad to have them back. very sold QPR.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
Winedavid39 wrote:thanks. yes we have been pounding the pavement for another L & L offer. Very glad to have them back. very sold QPR.

Probably among my first purchases many years ago. What the hell. I need some daily quaffers.

signed.

patrickkarcher

quality posts: 3 Private Messages patrickkarcher

Wow, this is fantastic. This offer:

• seems like fantastic QPR
  • is within my strict poor-man's budget
  • has just the varietals I'm targeting or would like to try.
  • has wine or at least reasonably close to the drinking window. (My meager cellar is mainly Pedroncelli's and such that I need to sit on a bit)

Unfortunately, I'm in Virginia, to which the winery could ship direct but is currently woot-hosed by our interesting new law banning shipments from "agricultural co-ops". (Who the hell would actually take the time to write such a stupid law?)

So . . . would L&L by any chance be willing to offer this deal and direct ship to those of us in interesting states? I will now add smiley faces to elicit sympathy to make my request seem cute and reasonable:

Note: Woot originally blacked out my original adjective describing my state legislature and it's new wine shipping law. So I'm charitably calling the law interesting now.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

This.Will.Sell.Out.

Bought a case here before Toccata (the label was Mandolina) and every varietal was delicious and varietally correct. I actually prefer these to Pedroncelli since they are more New World and approachable now as opposed. Awesome QPR. Went in on one even though I am not supposed to be buying. My two cents.

"The older I get the better I was"

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
browncj7 wrote:Picked up the Lucas & Lewellen Mandolina Toccata Mix in Nov 2011. I remember these wines being very good. 2011, so long ago...

In for a case!

Same here.

83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg

Would love some drinking window info from the winery...

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 48 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
klezman wrote:The 2004 Mandolina Toccata Riserva was a private label for a friend and one of my previous woots. It was also one of my good friends' wedding wines. Great stuff!

Opened my last bottle of 2004 Toccata Riserva about a month ago and it had plenty of life left in it. Good wine for $30/bottle. Amazing wine for what I paid for it on Woot.

My recollection of their "Pinot Nero" was that it was on par with other cheap pinot's. Light body and not terribly interesting nor offensive. It was good slightly chilled on a summer afternoon and made great cranberry sauce one Thanksgiving. The "Toccata" (their label used to be Mandolina) was a very good Cal-Ital that I would serve to anybody who likes that style. Nicely textured wine that was very food friendly. The Nebbiolo was not so great when I wooted it in 2007, but is quite nice now. It simply was not ready to drink in 2007 for my tastes.

I would love to hear if it is these wines were made by the same wine maker as the '04ish Mandolina woots, as well as the winery's thoughts on drinking window. I do recall that they warned us on needing to cellar the Nebbiolo, but most of us ignored the advice.

semirose

quality posts: 2 Private Messages semirose

Does my finger slipped and clicked the flashing button count as a legitimate excuse? Let's hope so. I really need to remember I live in a 1 bedroom apartment now instead of a 4 bedroom house.

InFrom

quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom
losthighwayz wrote:This.Will.Sell.Out.

It's bouncing, people. Tarry at your own risk!

InFrom

ddeuddeg wrote:Same here. I accidentally lost track of a couple of bottles for a couple of years, and was surprised to find how beautifully it had held up. Well-made wines, they are.

Yeah, I remember looking in vain for any stray bottles the last time around. Glad it's back.

SmilingBoognish

InFrom wrote:It's bouncing, people. Tarry at your own risk!

I would have been sorely annoyed had it sold out before I could have placed an order.

Don't have regrets, people, this is an old school style woot. Good wine at a good price.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

Dang! had it in my cart and sold out before I could complete!

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta

Dang! I wanted this too. Was reading comments and missed out.

Congrats to the winery and woot on the 10am sellout!

WD - Any chance you can make a call and get an increased qty?

ThunderThighs

Staff

InFrom wrote:It's bouncing, people. Tarry at your own risk!

I see it more as throbbing than bouncing. But that may just be me.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

trifecta wrote:Dang! I wanted this too. Was reading comments and missed out.

Congrats to the winery and woot on the 10am sellout!

WD - Any chance you can make a call and get an increased qty?

i tried.. nogo.

stay tuned for a different branded offer coming up (if all goes well).

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

Wow - I'm glad I pounced instead of taking more time to think about it. Button wasn't bouncing (or throbbing) when I ordered. Maybe mine was the one that got it excited.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Winedavid39 wrote:i tried.. nogo.

stay tuned for a different branded offer coming up (if all goes well).

GO WD!
GO WD!
GO WD!

FORUM MODERATOR

InFrom

ThunderThighs wrote:I see it more as throbbing than bouncing. But that may just be me.

You're right, it's more a throb. I guess I'm just an old fogey, I remember when the button used to bounce, and I still think of it as that. Like in my office, where we converted from a big, daily appointment book to an electronic, office-wide calendar years ago, but people still commonly call it "the book". Force of habit.

rc70

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rc70

Dang work got in the way, saw this morning held off to ask a buddy if he wanted in then work got crazy and now it's gone.

rjquillin

ThunderThighs wrote:I see it more as throbbing than bouncing. But that may just be me.

gotta just be your heart doing that.
or is it ours..?

Did this even take 12 hours?

CT

ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:gotta just be your heart doing that.
or is it ours..?

Did this even take 12 hours?

Something like 11hrs and 58 minutes according to my calculations.

FORUM MODERATOR

sdwindansea

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdwindansea

While my bank account is happy, I'm bummed I missed out on this one. Looking forward to seeing what WD is able to pull out of their hat...if anything at all.

SmilingBoognish

sdwindansea wrote:While my bank account is happy, I'm bummed I missed out on this one. Looking forward to seeing what WD is able to pull out of their hat...if anything at all.

How is your bank account happy when now you will have to spend at least twice as much for similar quality wine? ;)

sdwindansea

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdwindansea
SmilingBoognish wrote:How is your bank account happy when now you will have to spend at least twice as much for similar quality wine? ;)

Can't you at least let someone be a dreamer?

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

sdwindansea wrote:While my bank account is happy, I'm bummed I missed out on this one. Looking forward to seeing what WD is able to pull out of their hat...if anything at all.

literally pulled Ty Caton away form a vacation day to authorize this re-run.