2009 Syrah, Savannah Vineyard, Sonoma Valley
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offer:
10/23/13

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 142 Private Messages cortot20

I do love Syrah, and I love vertical offers. This is tough to pass up. On a side note why can't the stats for all three wines have the same categories. It's tough to compare them. It's like comparing three cars and only one lists HP but the others all list that they have 26 cup holders each but no mention of the cars even having an engine.

CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

I came home tonight to a bottle of the 2008 Hughes Signature Reserve Savannah Vineyard Syrah waiting patiently just inside my doorstep. I was just about to pop a bottle of a nice chilled dry Muscat to cool off from a warm day in Cali when I noticed that the Hughes offer is up! Darn, back in the fridge with the Muscat. Popped the cork of the 2008 Hughes;

PnP:
The cork came out with heavy sediment gunk on the end. There was also heavy sediment in the neck of the bottle which initially restricted the flow of the pour. I'd highly recommend decanting this one. (Unless you enjoy chewing your wine)

Extremely dark violet color, borderline inky. (BTW, I'm drinking this out of a Dark and Delicious glass. Very appropriate ) You can only see light/color through 1/16" - 1/8" near the meniscus. Initial aroma is dusty, but I'm not sure if it's my glass or the wine... Muted nose of ripe blackberry compote with fennel seed and some alcohol heat. Earthy, nutty aroma in the background that reminds me of a Brazilian nut. Nice toasted oak nuances as well.

Initial attack on the palate is showing moderate acidity, velvety mouth feel with rich, full-bodied flavors of plum and blackberry. The finish has pepper and a bit of BACON! Not the smokey kind of bacon; more of a pancetta or copa. The pepper hangs on for quite a while, lasting 20+ seconds. There was also some alcohol noticeable on the finish.

30 minutes open:
The nose has gained some power, complexity and cohesiveness. I thought it was pretty cohesive at PnP but it's really melding beautifully now. The alcohol sting is no longer present in the nose but is still there on the palate. The blackberry/plum, Brazilian nut, pancetta with black pepper; it's a gourmet meal in a glass!

The tannins are developing some grip now. They're strong but what I would consider sweet tannin.

In summary:
This is a really big, yet elegant, Syrah. As the wine continues to breath it's just getting better. It has the complexity to be enjoyed a la carte, but if I was going to pair it with food it would be a hearty meat dish or stew. The only flaw I am getting is a bit of heat on the palate, but that might have to do with the temp of the wine and environment I'm enjoying it in. High of the day was 88 degrees F in San Jose; the wine is likely in the low 70's. I'll try chilling it a bit and seeing if that helps.

I'm looking forward to notes for the other vintages to aid in my decision.

roguefreq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roguefreq

why is this saying that it cannot ship to MO? Missouri is a "Reciprocal" state and I have received wine from CA wineries before..

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia

I got to taste the 2008 on the last offer and it was pretty great. My super long notes are on the last offering (Cesare posted the link).

Here was my quick summary at the top of the notes: This is a serious looking and serious tasting wine. It’s very dark and a bit cloudy in appearance (suspended sediment) and full bodied on the tongue with a lot of tannins and a long finish. To me it calls for a fireplace and a grilled rib-eye...and maybe a bit of a special occasion where you want to really notice your wine as part of the meal. It deserves to be noticed.

If I weren't overrun on wine, particularly wine a bit too pricey for every day drinking, I'd be in on this. I'd really like to grab some and put it back for 5-10 years.

If the winery participates, I'd like to hear their thoughts on the ideal drinking window of these wines.

vineaux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vineaux

2009 "Special Reserve"?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cortot20 wrote:I do love Syrah, and I love vertical offers. This is tough to pass up. On a side note why can't the stats for all three wines have the same categories. It's tough to compare them. It's like comparing three cars and only one lists HP but the others all list that they have 26 cup holders each but no mention of the cars even having an engine.

The stats are what WCC can get from the winery. We often don't get the same info from them.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

roguefreq wrote:why is this saying that it cannot ship to MO? Missouri is a "Reciprocal" state and I have received wine from CA wineries before..

Wine.Woot is currently not able to offer wine deals in certain states, but will be opening up additional states as laws and regulations regarding selling wine online continue to evolve.

You're welcome to also check out this thread to discuss and talk about current Wine Shipping Laws

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
vineaux wrote:2009 "Special Reserve"?

See this regarding comments from the winery regarding the "Special Reserve" designation. Appears to be a marketing move, as they do not have a non-reserve.

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5732971&pageindex=1&replycount=22#post5733875

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
ajrod27 wrote:I came home tonight to a bottle of the 2008 Hughes Signature Reserve Savannah Vineyard Syrah waiting patiently just inside my doorstep. I was just about to pop a bottle of a nice chilled dry Muscat to cool off from a warm day in Cali when I noticed that the Hughes offer is up! Darn, back in the fridge with the Muscat. Popped the cork of the 2008 Hughes;

PnP:
The cork came out with heavy sediment gunk on the end. There was also heavy sediment in the neck of the bottle which initially restricted the flow of the pour. I'd highly recommend decanting this one. (Unless you enjoy chewing your wine)

Extremely dark violet color, borderline inky. (BTW, I'm drinking this out of a Dark and Delicious glass. Very appropriate ) You can only see light/color through 1/16" - 1/8" near the meniscus. Initial aroma is dusty, but I'm not sure if it's my glass or the wine... Muted nose of ripe blackberry compote with fennel seed and some alcohol heat. Earthy, nutty aroma in the background that reminds me of a Brazilian nut. Nice toasted oak nuances as well.

Initial attack on the palate is showing moderate acidity, velvety mouth feel with rich, full-bodied flavors of plum and blackberry. The finish has pepper and a bit of BACON! Not the smokey kind of bacon; more of a pancetta or copa. The pepper hangs on for quite a while, lasting 20+ seconds. There was also some alcohol noticeable on the finish.

30 minutes open:
The nose has gained some power, complexity and cohesiveness. I thought it was pretty cohesive at PnP but it's really melding beautifully now. The alcohol sting is no longer present in the nose but is still there on the palate. The blackberry/plum, Brazilian nut, pancetta with black pepper; it's a gourmet meal in a glass!

The tannins are developing some grip now. They're strong but what I would consider sweet tannin.

In summary:
This is a really big, yet elegant, Syrah. As the wine continues to breath it's just getting better. It has the complexity to be enjoyed a la carte, but if I was going to pair it with food it would be a hearty meat dish or stew. The only flaw I am getting is a bit of heat on the palate, but that might have to do with the temp of the wine and environment I'm enjoying it in. High of the day was 88 degrees F in San Jose; the wine is likely in the low 70's. I'll try chilling it a bit and seeing if that helps.

I'm looking forward to notes for the other vintages to aid in my decision.

You used the word - meniscus. My inner scientist is happy.

dianeproteau

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dianeproteau

Hello all,
Sorry for coming to the discussion late.
Our Syrah is one of my favorite wines, I enjoy tasting verticals to see the slight variances in color * aroma * taste.

Regarding "special reserve"... Can be used as a marketing term - many wineries sell their fruit and "reserve" the best for their own wine. Or they can have a "reserve" potion of the estate.

Thanks and enjoy
Diane~

dianeproteau

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dianeproteau

What would you like to know between the three?

Diane ~

wootwill2595

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootwill2595

why does the FIVEOFFPARTY coupon not work with a wine order?. It says it expires 4.30.2014 at midnight, and we're not there yet.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
dianeproteau wrote:What would you like to know between the three?

Diane ~

Hi Diane. Thanks for joining us. Can you comment on the high levels of sediment found in the 08? I see that all of these wines are unfined and unfiltered, but would expect racking would resolve some of the sediment. Can you also fill in the stats on pH and TA for the 07 and 08?

Thanks!

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
dianeproteau wrote:Hello all,
Sorry for coming to the discussion late.
Our Syrah is one of my favorite wines, I enjoy tasting verticals to see the slight variances in color * aroma * taste.

Regarding "special reserve"... Can be used as a marketing term - many wineries sell their fruit and "reserve" the best for their own wine. Or they can have a "reserve" potion of the estate.

Thanks and enjoy
Diane~

So then can you tell us why specifically your '09 is "Special Reserve" and previous vintages are not designated so. I have always found the term reserve to be overused and meaningless. Selling off excess juice is nothing new.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Long day at work but gotta perform my duty! I have a 2007 in front of me. PnP. Color: dark, almost black...looks like a big wine! Medium legs, with a strong nose reminiscent of warm blueberry pie? Detect a bit of alcohol on the nose as well. Taste does not match the color and smell...not as full bodied as I expected and finish somewhat short. Tannins are present no doubt. Will let this sit in fridge for 15 min and come back...

Edit: 15 minutes later...nose has noticeably opened up...getting more dark fruit and that meaty Syrah nose I love...not quite bacon but more like minced raw meat....acidity is fresh and has dry tannins that plucker...a bit too tannic for my taste but I think the tannins will soften over a few years...taste is better as well...getting sweet fruit and nutmeg? Definitely a well-made wine that will improve with age...I'm not sure Id pay MSRP but wouldn't be unhappy if I paid $25 for this bottle...add a vertical to boot and this a good deal IMO sorry if I rambled but my 3 and 6 year olds are readying for bed and as you can imagine its a crazy sight in here! Cheers!

"The older I get the better I was"

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

37 offers sold so far...

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
dianeproteau wrote:Regarding "special reserve"... Can be used as a marketing term - many wineries sell their fruit and "reserve" the best for their own wine. Or they can have a "reserve" potion of the estate.

Thanks and enjoy
Diane~

So which situation describes your wine?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 142 Private Messages cortot20

Info post:
All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wineing.

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Day 3 and the syrah rockin' much more resolved tannins and fruit shining through...elegant wine that needs a few years OR lots of time to open up

"The older I get the better I was"