Atlas Peak Wines Napa Valley Petit Verdot 2-Pack
$74.99 $124.00 40% off List Price
2008 Atlas Peak Wines Petit Verdot, Napa Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

This offer should get the monocled monkey. I'm not interested due to the price but the atlas peak mountain cabs are awesome. So I am sure this is a solid wine.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 20.

Chocolate bunnies and sparkling wine! Delicious combo!

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
May
5/3: SoCal #33: Grenache/Grenache Blanc for Cinco de Mayo
TBD: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn
May/June TBD: SoCal #34 San Diego/Lakeside TBD

Summer
est. August 4-6: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread

Pending
TBD: SoCal #35: Lakewood/Irvine Locker TBD
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

Only 60 cases produced, this is a pretty exclusive deal. They don't list this wine on their website and it appears to be their first and (so far) only vintage of Petit Verdot?

The vintner's voicemail suggests it will drink well for the next 7 years and that the wine is able to stand up to the big oak treatment (22 months in 80% new French, 20% 1-year).

I'm intrigued but unsure if I can stand up to the oak treatment. I'm thinking it might settle down into something I'd really like 4-5 years from now, though...

capnkrik23139

quality posts: 3 Private Messages capnkrik23139
cortot20 wrote:This offer should get the monocled monkey. I'm not interested due to the price but the atlas peak mountain cabs are awesome. So I am sure this is a solid wine.

We bought the Ardent Atlas Peak six mini bottles a short time back and they are bad. I mean they are right at vinegar. Before that we've had good luck with the Atlas Peak.

chipgreen

capnkrik23139 wrote:We bought the Ardent Atlas Peak six mini bottles a short time back and they are bad. I mean they are right at vinegar. Before that we've had good luck with the Atlas Peak.

Wine in smaller bottles ages more quickly. Still, surprised to hear that they were vinegar. You can click on "support" near the top of the page and let woot know that the wines were spoiled.

chipgreen

Floridians gotta have their PV!

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20
chipgreen wrote:Wine in smaller bottles ages more quickly. Still, surprised to hear that they were vinegar. You can click on "support" near the top of the page and let woot know that the wines were spoiled.

What he said. Always request a replacement or refund on bad bottles. (not caused by your own poor storage solution of course.)

CT

deckerbrian

quality posts: 16 Private Messages deckerbrian

I'm sure you know this, but I wanted to make sure that no one misunderstands.

Atlas Peak is an appellation of grape growing and also the name of a winery. Ardente is also a winery, though separate from Atlas Peak Winery. Any problem with a wine from an Ardente release wouldn't really have anything to do with a release from Atlas Peak Winery unless they were the same vintage and it was a particularly bad year.

I do agree with you that I have bought a few wines from the Atlas Peak appellation (and Atlas Peak Winery) and been very impressed with each. I also liked most of the Ardente wines that I have gotten.

Cheers.

capnkrik23139 wrote:We bought the Ardent Atlas Peak six mini bottles a short time back and they are bad. I mean they are right at vinegar. Before that we've had good luck with the Atlas Peak.

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill

For the record, Atlas Peak Winery, a premium label associated with Buena Vista Winery (California Bonded Winery #001) and the maker of this offer, has nothing at all to do with Ardente Winery. All they share is the Atlas Peak appellation. Obviously, naming your winery after the appellation can lead to confusion.

Buena Vista had a change of ownership a couple of years ago, and the winemaker for this Petit Verdot has moved on. We had the good fortune to meet him during the second rpm tour while he was still at Buena Vista - a quality guy who makes great wine.

Anyway, since the sale of the winery, the older wines on both the Atlas Peak and Buena Vista labels have been regularly offered at significant discounts through various outlets as the new owners seek to clear the inventory associated with the prior regime. There is no reason to doubt that these bottles have been very well stored during the interim. Given the circumstances, I don't think the winery will be chiming in on this offer. Edit: Oops! There goes any shred of credibility I had!

Caveat: I'm not an insider or anything, this is just info I've gathered since I've always liked this winery and wanted to know what's going on. It's accuracy is not guaranteed. I've not tried this particular wine, so I can't comment directly on it except to say that I'm confident that its a very well made example of the varietal.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

atlaspeak1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages atlaspeak1
chipgreen wrote:Only 60 cases produced, this is a pretty exclusive deal. They don't list this wine on their website and it appears to be their first and (so far) only vintage of Petit Verdot?

The vintner's voicemail suggests it will drink well for the next 7 years and that the wine is able to stand up to the big oak treatment (22 months in 80% new French, 20% 1-year).

I'm intrigued but unsure if I can stand up to the oak treatment. I'm thinking it might settle down into something I'd really like 4-5 years from now, though...

We tasted this wine last Friday (and again this morning, hey, can you blame us?) and it's drinking beautifully. Really nice nose of red fruits (cranberry, red currant, raspberry) and subtle woodsy-herbs (rosemary & thyme). The front palate continues the bright red fruits and finished with soft tannins. For a varietal which would typically be classified as "big" in tannins, it has a silky finish. There were only a few cases produced and Woot has an amazing price on this wine. Stock up - buy a pack to drink now and one to cellar.

atlaspeak1

merbill wrote:For the record, Atlas Peak Winery, a premium label associated with Buena Vista Winery (California Bonded Winery #001) and the maker of this offer, has nothing at all to do with Ardente Winery. All they share is the Atlas Peak appellation. Obviously, naming your winery after the appellation can lead to confusion.

Buena Vista had a change of ownership a couple of years ago, and the winemaker for this Petit Verdot has moved on. We had the good fortune to meet him during the second rpm tour while he was still at Buena Vista - a quality guy who makes great wine.

Anyway, since the sale of the winery, the older wines on both the Atlas Peak and Buena Vista labels have been regularly offered at significant discounts through various outlets as the new owners seek to clear the inventory associated with the prior regime. There is no reason to doubt that these bottles have been very well stored during the interim. Given the circumstances, I don't think the winery will be chiming in on this offer.

Caveat: I'm not an insider or anything, this is just info I've gathered since I've always liked this winery and wanted to know what's going on. It's accuracy is not guaranteed. I've not tried this particular wine, so I can't comment directly on it except to say that I'm confident that its a very well made example of the varietal.

This wine is a new varietal for Atlas Peak Wines, 2008 is first vintage. So not a clearance wine. We like to bring some special bottlings to our friends at Woot, with the hopes that our small-lot winemaking is appreciated. Plus it allows us to showcase the amazing mountain fruit we've had access to. We think this wine has does the above, and amazingly well at that. Has been stored in temp controlled warehouse since bottled. Single bottlings of high-elevation Petit Verdot are scarce, take advantage of offer and enjoy!

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin

atlaspeak1, thanks for dropping in...

I find this an intriguing offer today, but, perhaps like others, am a bit hesitant given the 22 months in 80% new French oak. Given the typically high tannic content of PV, and the oak could make this a mouthfull.

How near full phenolic ripeness was this harvested, and at what brix?
Was the splash of Merlot merely from ullage, or used to fill out the mid palate?

I do however quite enjoy wines structured to last, but not before they're ready. For good CS, 10+ years is my benchmark. Can you compare?

CT

exlaxer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exlaxer

Thank you for joining the discussions. A couple of questions, as I'm not that familiar with PV: what's the cellaring potential for this release, and would you recommend good food pairings? Thanks!

I hope you can sleep at night knowing that you just made me buy 3.

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
atlaspeak1 wrote:This wine is a new varietal for Atlas Peak Wines, 2008 is first vintage. So not a clearance wine. We like to bring some special bottlings to our friends at Woot, with the hopes that our small-lot winemaking is appreciated. Plus it allows us to showcase the amazing mountain fruit we've had access to. We think this wine has does the above, and amazingly well at that. Has been stored in temp controlled warehouse since bottled. Single bottlings of high-elevation Petit Verdot are scarce, take advantage of offer and enjoy!

Cool! Welcome to the boards.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

Donfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Donfrank

Atlas & Geyser Peak are almost auto buy for me. Ardente as well. Have yet to get a bad bottle (Knocking wood ) so surprised by some of the comments. Only negative I have is not decanting an older vintage for a few hours, the decanted version was much better than the one I opened and drank but that was my error.
Now one or two offerings, Its been an expensive few weeks. Wellingotn delviered, 2 more in transit. DARN YOU WINE WOOT

atlaspeak1

exlaxer wrote:Thank you for joining the discussions. A couple of questions, as I'm not that familiar with PV: what's the cellaring potential for this release, and would you recommend good food pairings? Thanks!

We recommend up to another 6-7 years on this, but it's really drinking nicely now. If drinking now (meaning now or thru next year), I'd decant it. Bigger mountain wines benefit from a bit of aeration to lift the aromatics and settle out the tartrates. PV can tend to be quite full with tannins. However this bottling is showing firm, but not gripping tannins. I think PV always is enjoyed best with bold flavored food. We recommend Carpaccio, olive-based dishes such as simple crostini with tapenade, tomato-laced dishes and skewered, roasted meats. The elevated acidity from the tomatoes or olives help to balance out the strength of the mountain fruit. Would be tasty with a Rib Eye topped with a small piece of Bleu Cheese as well.

atlaspeak1

rjquillin wrote:atlaspeak1, thanks for dropping in...

I find this an intriguing offer today, but, perhaps like others, am a bit hesitant given the 22 months in 80% new French oak. Given the typically high tannic content of PV, and the oak could make this a mouthfull.

How near full phenolic ripeness was this harvested, and at what brix?
Was the splash of Merlot merely from ullage, or used to fill out the mid palate?

I do however quite enjoy wines structured to last, but not before they're ready. For good CS, 10+ years is my benchmark. Can you compare?

These are great questions!
26.2 Brix. The fruit was picked at full phenolic ripeness. The Merlot was incorporated both as topping wine and a blending component to ‘tame’ tannins.
This is a 2008, it is now 2014 – this wine is drinking nicely now and will certainly age well for another 5-6 years (best drinking window). After 10 years, it will not be at its "optimum" drinking potential. Hope that helps!

rjquillin

atlaspeak1 wrote:These are great questions!
26.2 Brix. The fruit was picked at full phenolic ripeness. The Merlot was incorporated both as topping wine and a blending component to ‘tame’ tannins.
This is a 2008, it is now 2014 – this wine is drinking nicely now and will certainly age well for another 5-6 years (best drinking window). After 10 years, it will not be at its "optimum" drinking potential. Hope that helps!

Efficient conversion.
Any saignée?

CT

atlaspeak1

rjquillin wrote:Efficient conversion.
Any saignée?

Another great techie question. For those not familiar with that term-- saignée is a production process that involves bleeding off the juice after limited contact with the skins to concentrate the wine. Yes, historically this has been a practice for some of the Atlas Peak wines. Approximately 10% on this particular wine.

rjquillin

atlaspeak1 wrote:Another great techie question. For those not familiar with that term-- saignée is a production process that involves bleeding off the juice after limited contact with the skins to concentrate the wine. Yes, historically this has been a practice for some of the Atlas Peak wines. Approximately 10% on this particular wine.

Sometimes I really wish there wasn't such forthright winery participation, it saves me $$$.
This is pushing my limit for a flyer, but you set the hook.
Wish we'd have had some tasters for this one.

Thanks for hanging out with us.
Have the mods left us for the day?

CT

atlaspeak1

rjquillin wrote:Sometimes I really wish there wasn't such forthright winery participation, it saves me $$$.

No worries, my pleasure. We love enthusiastic wine drinkers. Enjoy the wine!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

rjquillin wrote:Sometimes I really wish there wasn't such forthright winery participation, it saves me $$$.

No still here ;)

Cesare

quality posts: 1597 Private Messages Cesare
merbill wrote:For the record, Atlas Peak Winery, a premium label associated with Buena Vista Winery (California Bonded Winery #001) and the maker of this offer, has nothing at all to do with Ardente Winery.

Not anymore.
Buena Vista is now owned by Boisset along with others like Deloach, Raymond, and Lyeth.
Atlas Peak is owned by Accolade along with Geyser Peak and XYZin.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber