2008 Fjellene The South Col Blend, Columbia Valley
2010 Fjellene Reserve Blend, Walla Walla Valley
2010 Fjellene Malbec, Walla Walla Valley
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20

Was very tempted by the cab and BDX blend mix but this is even more tempting. Let's hope for some notes.

CT

shahnm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages shahnm

Here's a review-ish blurb, of sorts (more blurb, less review, but what can you do...).

If nothing else, it tells you how to pronounce "Fjellene"...

http://wildwallawallawinewoman.blogspot.com/2011/08/fjellene-cellars.html

shahnm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages shahnm

Now that we learned how to pronounce "Fjellene", it's time for lesson #2:

The hard to pronounce name, (Fyel-LAY-Nuh), is the Norwegian word for mountains.

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared

I throw my hands in the air! FIVE? these wine woots are just getting out of hand! ok... rant over.

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

kagayaki1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kagayaki1

The five pack of Cabs last time was so good, dark, delicious. This mix should be even better, since Syrah and Malbec are right in the wheelhouse of Walla Walla. Buy 3, you will not be disappointed.

banderling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages banderling

When are y'all going to start shipping to TN again? Virgin does it, Lot18 does it (just a couple of examples of the places you've lost my business to). Lots of folks do. What's the hold up? It ain't no stick-in-the-mud-legislatures... following your own link, most of the states allow direct shipping, but your list has stayed small for awhile... I've only got a few woot wines left in my cellar. What's the real deal here?

cortot20

Any chance we can get the varietal breakdown on the reserve blend? The specs are seriously lacking.

CT

toonvox

quality posts: 7 Private Messages toonvox

Hello, America, from deep in the Walla Walla Valley. You won't go wrong with the region's 2010 Malbecs and Syrahs. Fjellene's Syrah comes from Pepper Bridge and Les Collines which also produces the fruit for Amavi and (of course) Pepper Bridge wines - both very much beloved here. Yellow Jacket is just over the Oregon border. This is a great way to stock up your cellar with southern Walla Walla juice.

(PS - I'm not from the winery. I'm just a local who calls several tasting rooms my off-site office.)

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
toonvox wrote:Hello, America, from deep in the Walla Walla Valley. You won't go wrong with the region's 2010 Malbecs and Syrahs. Fjellene's Syrah comes from Pepper Bridge and Les Collines which also produces the fruit for Amavi and (of course) Pepper Bridge wines - both very much beloved here. Yellow Jacket is just over the Oregon border. This is a great way to stock up your cellar with southern Walla Walla juice.

(PS - I'm not from the winery. I'm just a local who calls several tasting rooms my off-site office.)

If you have had these during office happy hour, can you provide tasting notes?

Cyradia

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Cyradia
cortot20 wrote:Any chance we can get the varietal breakdown on the reserve blend? The specs are seriously lacking.

Seconded. Hoping for reviews, but also for some info on the mystery reserve blend.

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis
cortot20 wrote:Any chance we can get the varietal breakdown on the reserve blend? The specs are seriously lacking.

The 2009 Reserve Blend is 50-50 Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. Which doesn't answer the question but maybe a clue.

kaolis

From Winepeeps.com: (I have no idea who winepeeps is btw)

2010 Fjellene Cellars Syrah (Walla Walla Valley, Washington): 96% Syrah and 4% Viognier. Deep, dark purplish red. Very aromatic with beautiful blackberry, black cherry, black pepper, and spice on the nose. Black fruit, black pepper, and cocoa come through on the palate. Full-bodied with lively acidity and medium to high, dry tannins. Well-balanced with a long, smooth finish.
Quality: 4 stars (out of 5)

2008 Fjellene Cellars The South Col Blend Red Wine (Columbia Valley, Washington): 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, and 13% Cabernet Franc. Deep, dark red. Aromatic with earth, eucalyptus, black fruit, and a tough of mint on both the nose and palate. Dry and medium to full-bodied with lively acidity, medium tannins, and a long finish.
Quality: 3 stars (out of 5)

From wawinereport.wordpress.com: (no idea who again)

Fjellene Cellars The South Col Blend Columbia Valley 2008 $32
Rating: +/* (Good/Excellent) Aromas of dry chocolate, herbal notes, and a touch of the Rocks funk. Tart and light bodied on the palate with a big ball of fruit in the middle. 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, and 13% Cabernet Franc. Yellow Jacket, Waliser, and Candy Mountain vineyards. Aged 20 months in French oak (25% new). 14.1% alcohol. 192 cases produced.

cortot20

kaolis wrote:The 2009 Reserve Blend is 50-50 Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. Which doesn't answer the question but maybe a clue.

Thanks, I hope it's the same. 50/50 cab Syrah is an aussie thing which I happen to like quite a bit.

CT

mandoo500

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mandoo500

I smell sellout.

kaolis

cortot20 wrote:Thanks, I hope it's the same. 50/50 cab Syrah is an aussie thing which I happen to like quite a bit.

Different vineyard though I noticed, the '10 here is Pepperbridge, the '09 was Yellow Jacket.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
bskuared wrote:I throw my hands in the air! FIVE? these wine woots are just getting out of hand! ok... rant over.

But, but, it ~is~ five different wines, now just one of something you may not like.
Think of it as sampler?

CT

shampshi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shampshi

So after lurking for a long time, I decide to bite on this offer. Woot has decided that 41 isn't "mature" enough to buy it. I know I still play video games, but how much more growing up do I need to do? Is there some kind of age verification nobody told me about?

Ah! Found it. Apparently woot defaulted to the day of my first woot. Apparently 7/25/08 was my wootday.

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom

I enjoyed Wootbot's efforts to "Grease" the wheels of commerce. Now I have that dumb song in my head...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

shampshi wrote:So after lurking for a long time, I decide to bite on this offer. Woot has decided that 41 isn't "mature" enough to buy it. I know I still play video games, but how much more growing up do I need to do? Is there some kind of age verification nobody told me about?

Ok, on the "REVIEW YOUR ORDER" page, below all the address and billing info, is your D.O.B. info. There's a change button if your birthdate is not correct.

Change it and BUY ALL THE WINE!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

arniebird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arniebird

This looks amazing WW Syrah is usually top notch. Sadly I just got a 6 pack of WA wine and there's just one of me. How far can you get ahead? Rural Central Florida is the realm of Riesling drinkers.
Enjoy this ya'll. I am drooling.

83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg

Would love to have some drinking window information...

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

kaolis

Had my first bottle from the last offering the other day, the '09 West Fork. Seriously good wine. Kind of sorry I missed another crack at those, looks like it was in the woot-off a couple of days ago.

Anyway, based on that, in for two of these. Good vintages, solid vineyards, price is right.

jeephippy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeephippy

Sheesh, no KS or MO, when did that happen?

Ugh.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
jeephippy wrote:Sheesh, no KS or MO, when did that happen?

Ugh.

About 6 months ago....

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jeephippy wrote:Sheesh, no KS or MO, when did that happen?

Ugh.

Wine.Woot is currently not able to offer wine deals in certain states, but will be opening up additional states as laws and regulations regarding selling wine online continue to evolve.

You're welcome to also check out this thread to discuss and talk about current Wine Shipping Laws

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

c2mrdale

quality posts: 1 Private Messages c2mrdale

I designed this wine-packaging, and it is still one of my favorite pieces of work. The Varietal breakdown on the reserve is "propriety" but I just emailed the winemaker and maybe he'll jump in and spill.

chipgreen

c2mrdale wrote:I designed this wine-packaging, and it is still one of my favorite pieces of work. The Varietal breakdown on the reserve is "propriety" but I just emailed the winemaker and maybe he'll jump in and spill.

Nice work!

Knucklehed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Knucklehed

Good reviews, good price. I finally broke my wine woot cherry on this one

in for dos

<Enter pithy and appropriate statement here>

asnyderman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages asnyderman

I happen to be a professional sommelier, here in Seattle, and am very familiar with these wines. Without getting crazy with tasting notes, let me say a few things: Stylistic, Matthew's wines are varietally correct (syrah tastes like syrah, etc...) and deeply concentrated. He balances well on the fine line of heavy extraction without being overly extracted with his wines (over extraction here in washington leads to heavy doses of volatile acidity which is not good.. a little bit lends nicely to complexity, but too much is yucky). These wines tend to show deep rich fruit notes, but still have the classic washington acid balance, tannins are fairly polished and fine grained. His oak usage is also nicely balanced, and he uses great grapes. Yellow Jacket is a fantastic sustainable vineyard, and Pepper Bridge is one of the more sought after vineyards in the state, sitting in the very southern Washington edge of Walla Walla (the appellation actually dips into Oregon). In my proffesional opinion, these wines still over-deliver for the price point, and if you like well balanced wines you should enjoy these.

cortot20

asnyderman wrote:I happen to be a professional sommelier, here in Seattle, and am very familiar with these wines. Without getting crazy with tasting notes, let me say a few things: Stylistic, Matthew's wines are varietally correct (syrah tastes like syrah, etc...) and deeply concentrated. He balances well on the fine line of heavy extraction without being overly extracted with his wines (over extraction here in washington leads to heavy doses of volatile acidity which is not good.. a little bit lends nicely to complexity, but too much is yucky). These wines tend to show deep rich fruit notes, but still have the classic washington acid balance, tannins are fairly polished and fine grained. His oak usage is also nicely balanced, and he uses great grapes. Yellow Jacket is a fantastic sustainable vineyard, and Pepper Bridge is one of the more sought after vineyards in the state, sitting in the very southern Washington edge of Walla Walla (the appellation actually dips into Oregon). In my proffesional opinion, these wines still over-deliver for the price point, and if you like well balanced wines you should enjoy these.

Thanks for the thoughts on these. You should come here more often

CT

chipgreen

cortot20 wrote:Thanks for the thoughts on these. You should come here more often

Agreed, thanks asnyderman! I was likely going to spring for a set anyway but now it will probably be two sets.

EDIT Last wooter to woot: chipgreen
2 it is

kjcbike

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kjcbike

I am in on 2 of these. I ordered 2 of the last deal, and noticed that the shipment was sitting in Sacramento for 2+ weeks. After calling Fedex, I found that the shipment was damaged. Fedex nor Woot would or could resend the shipment, or what was left of it.

I felt a little cheated! But as luck or karma would have it, it appears a better deal has now come on the Woot deal! Too bad I missed the last deal, but hope to be drinking this for awhile.

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared
rjquillin wrote:But, but, it ~is~ five different wines, now just one of something you may not like.
Think of it as sampler?

True. But too steep of an entry price for me on a complete unknown.

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

losthighwayz

quality posts: 63 Private Messages losthighwayz
bskuared wrote:True. But too steep of an entry price for me on a complete unknown.

relative unknown IMO since there has been some rat reports on pevious offers as well as pretty good specs!

"The older I get the better I was"

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Northwest sure is lit up.

CT

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom
rjquillin wrote:Northwest sure is lit up.

So is the bouncing button...

toonvox

quality posts: 7 Private Messages toonvox
pseudogourmet98 wrote:If you have had these during office happy hour, can you provide tasting notes?

Fjellene is a small place without a place to set up shop. ;-) but I'll swing by there and show you their quaint facility.

hcnate

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hcnate

In for one. I am probably going to be kicking myself for this one and not going in for two.