MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cortot20 wrote:Um......... You're now going to have to rename that recipe.

Feel free to do so ... Somehow, I think people will skip the Chili-Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product Dip.

Edit: Sparkolith!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bahwm wrote:Does anybody have any good Cinco de Mayo appetizers that they can share? Thanks!

Guacamole...

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm
North316 wrote:Guacamole...

Yeah, I got it, but do any of you Ohioans share recipes????

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
bahwm wrote:Yeah, I got it, but do any of you Ohioans share recipes????

Guac? Super simple!
Avocado, salt, pepper, lime juice, garlic, diced red onion (if you like that sort of thing), hot pepper/sauce if you like that sort of thing. Mash the avocado, mix in that other stuff (all to taste - that's how I cook), then also add in some coriander seed if you like. I also then add diced tomato and minced cilantro.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:You get an "F" for spelling and understanding ... technically, Velveeta is a "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product", aka Processed Cheese (basically a food product made from a normal cheese plus other ingredients.

I don't spell well before coffee. Technically, yes, correct; practically, yuck. Right there with Spam.
I did however consume massive quantities younger as grilled 'cheese'.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
rjquillin wrote:Velveta != cheese, perhaps not even 'cheese product'.

Velveta is just nasty

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:Velveta is just nasty

Thank You

CT

mommadeb1

Update on my son and his team... So far: His teacher has been Named Vex teacher of the year.... she was chosen from the 800 other teachers!! I think his team has won a few awards... just waiting for confirmation before I say which awards...

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
mommadeb1 wrote:Update on my son and his team... So far: His teacher has been Named Vex teacher of the year.... she was chosen from the 800 other teachers!! I think his team has won a few awards... just waiting for confirmation before I say which awards...

Yay!!!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:Velveta is just nasty

Of course it is!! It's not Velveeta!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Guac? Super simple!
Avocado, salt, pepper, lime juice, garlic, diced red onion (if you like that sort of thing), hot pepper/sauce if you like that sort of thing. Mash the avocado, mix in that other stuff (all to taste - that's how I cook), then also add in some coriander seed if you like. I also then add diced tomato and minced cilantro.

Or White Onion instead of red and lemon instead of lime. Definitely the diced tomato, and I use Tabasco for the hot sauce.

Mom doesn't like cilantro, so we never added it.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 16 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
bahwm wrote:Does anybody have any good Cinco de Mayo appetizers that they can share? Thanks!

This Roasted Tomato Salsa is a crowd pleaser, easy to double or triple, and can be made in advance (although serving it warm is tasty too).

Plus it has the advantage of NOT including any disgusting (IMO) ingredients like Velveeta or canned chili.

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
bahwm wrote:Great idea! Can you have them here by 6 PM next Saturday?

I cannot be trusted with empanadas, they disappear faster than a tootsie pop in the clutches of a wise old owl!

chipgreen

bahwm wrote:Yeah, I got it, but do any of you Ohioans share recipes????

Sure, here's one for beef empanadas (serves 4-6 people);

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 pound ground beef steak
1/4 pound fresh chorizo sausage, casing removed
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 package store-bought pie crust or your favorite pie crust recipe
1 egg

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a medium-sized skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the beef, chorizo, onion, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly so that the ingredients are well blended. Add additional cumin, if desired, and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside and let the filling cool.

Roll out the pie crust dough and cut out rounds using a 3-inch cutter. Put 1 tablespoon of filling on half of the round. Fold the other half of the round over and using a fork, press down on the edge of the dough making sure it is sealed all the way around. This forms the empanada. Whisk the egg in a small bowl. Brush the top of each empanada with the egg wash. Arrange the empanadas on a nonstick sheet pan and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer the empanadas to a serving platter and serve.

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Of course it is!! It's not Velveeta!

I don't care how it's spelled... Its still nasty!!!!

MarkDaSpark

pseudogourmet98 wrote:This Roasted Tomato Salsa is a crowd pleaser, easy to double or triple, and can be made in advance (although serving it warm is tasty too).

Plus it has the advantage of NOT including any disgusting (IMO) ingredients like Velveeta or canned chili.

Come to the Darker Side!!! It's delicious!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:Mom doesn't like cilantro, so we never added it.

Your mom is one smart lady and she has an excellent palate.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
kylemittskus wrote:Your mom is one smart lady and she has an excellent palate.

It sounds like two of you have a missing tastebud gene.

We won't hold that against you.

For the most part.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
chipgreen wrote:Sure, here's one for beef empanadas (serves 4-6 people);

Ingredients
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg

Directions

In a medium-sized skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the beef, chorizo, onion, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly so that the ingredients are well blended. Add additional cumin, if desired, and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside and let the filling cool.

Roll out the pie crust dough and cut out rounds using a 3-inch cutter. Put 1 tablespoon of filling on half of the round. Fold the other half of the round over and using a fork, press down on the edge of the dough making sure it is sealed all the way around. This forms the empanada. Whisk the egg in a small bowl. Brush the top of each empanada with the egg wash. Arrange the empanadas on a nonstick sheet pan and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer the empanadas to a serving platter and serve.

This is quite likely dinner here tonight. Now to choose a wine.

MarkDaSpark

cmaldoon wrote:It sounds like two of you have a missing tastebud gene.

We won't hold that against you.

For the most part.

I never said I didn't like it!

Evidently, you haven't seen me at a Mongolian BBQ place, piling on the cilantro!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Pretty much exactly the same as I do, minus the coriander. I also use red pepper flakes instead of the pepper sauce.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

edthebedhead wrote:This is quite likely dinner here tonight. Now to choose a wine.

Humm, I wonder if these could be made using Gyoza skins?
And sriracha is pretty good in guac as well, but it needs to contain adequate cilantro to be real guac.

CT

rjquillin

Chip;
we got modded out of the main thread for speaking the truth...

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
MarkDaSpark wrote:I never said I didn't like it!

Evidently, you haven't seen me at a Mongolian BBQ place, piling on the cilantro!

I never intimated you did... Just Kyle and your Mother.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:Chip;
we got modded out of the main thread for speaking the truth...

Ahh, I missed your reply but saw that my post was gone. I knew it was just a matter of time. What was your rabble-rousing comment?

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:Ahh, I missed your reply but saw that my post was gone. I knew it was just a matter of time. What was your rabble-rousing comment?

In short you spoke the truth, and it wasn't changing laws, but rather a reinterpretation of existing laws by WOOT███ since the takeover. Additionally it's past time for woot to tell the truth, and quit hiding what is all too obvious, as their current philosophy is doing nothing but pissing off potential customers of states they, amazon, no longer allows shipments to.

And that I didn't know why I was so grumpy today.

CT

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
rjquillin wrote:In short you spoke the truth, and it wasn't changing laws, but rather a reinterpretation of existing laws by WOOT███ since the takeover. Additionally it's past time for woot to tell the truth, and quit hiding what is all too obvious, as their current philosophy is doing nothing but pissing off potential customers of states they, amazon, no longer allows shipments to.

They drop the hammer pretty severely on the first page. After that, they lighten up.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:In short you spoke the truth, and it wasn't changing laws, but rather a reinterpretation of existing laws by WOOT███ since the takeover. Additionally it's past time for woot to tell the truth, and quit hiding what is all too obvious, as their current philosophy is doing nothing but pissing off potential customers of states they, amazon, no longer allows shipments to.

Haha... I get grumpy too when I see that party-line explanation that explains nothing. Although Rog didn't trot out the "Woot will open up more states as laws continue to evolve" line, his linkage is almost worse as people may spend actual time that they cannot get back searching for the answer that isn't there. Maybe they should just change the party-line to "It is what it is". At least that non-explanation doesn't give false hope or send people on wild phat goose chases.

EDIT to add that I realize a lot of people's hands are tied in this matter, all the way up the line. I really do think the best hope of getting anything done for those whose states have been shutout is to write to jeff@amazon.com - his email address is no secret, it's handed out freely. Although it's unlikely he actually reads them, the emails sent to that address are treated seriously by those who handle them.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Had a 2007 Turley Pesenti Zin with some BBQ ribs tonight. (Sorry Bowtie and Otolith, not the smoker.) Fantastic pairing. Great Zin, and the ribs with my wife's BBQ sauce were great. Night took a downturn when I pulled out a 2001 Ch. De Malle Sauternes for dessert. It was awful. Bottle 2 or 3 and so far, both are awful. Have to try another Sauternes to see what a good one tastes like. I hope to hell, this is not what they are supposed to taste like.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bahwm

chipgreen wrote:Sure, here's one for beef empanadas (serves 4-6 people);

Ingredients
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg

Directions

This looks pretty good! Thanks! Do you use any type of dipping sauce with it?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

pseudogourmet98 wrote:This Roasted Tomato Salsa is a crowd pleaser, easy to double or triple, and can be made in advance (although serving it warm is tasty too).

Looks good, too--I don't have a good homemade salsa recipe!

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:My Super Secret Chili-Cheese Dip recipe:

Chili Cheese Dip

INGREDIENTS
1 (15-ounce) can HORMEL® Chili No Beans
1 (1-pound) package pasteurized prepared cheese product (i.e., Velveeta), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 bunch green onions, cut
1 small can, diced green chili's
1 (1-pound) cheddar cheese, cubed

DIRECTIONS
In medium microwave-safe bowl, stir together chili, onions, green chili's, cheddar cheese, and cheese product; cover. Microwave on HIGH (100%); stirring once, 4½ to 5 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted.

Serve with corn chips, if desired.

Edit: Actually, I left out two ingredients. Corrected above.

Thanks! We used to do something similar to this with Velveeta--minus the Hormel Chili.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
polarbear22 wrote:Had a 2007 Turley Pesenti Zin with some BBQ ribs tonight. (Sorry Bowtie and Otolith, not the smoker.) Fantastic pairing. Great Zin, and the ribs with my wife's BBQ sauce were great. Night took a downturn when I pulled out a 2001 Ch. De Malle Sauternes for dessert. It was awful. Bottle 2 or 3 and so far, both are awful. Have to try another Sauternes to see what a good one tastes like. I hope to hell, this is not what they are supposed to taste like.

I'll pop a d'Yquem for you next time you're in town.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

Sounds good. I don't usually add the diced tomato.

chipgreen

bahwm wrote:This looks pretty good! Thanks! Do you use any type of dipping sauce with it?

I don't but that is a good idea. I've added ingredients to the filling such as stewed tomato, rice, cheese. Other than the beef ones, I've only made apple ones using apple pie filling from a can. I've been meaning to experiment more as just about anything can be made into an empanada!