MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away, folks!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 13.

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April
4/26: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn

May
5/3: SoCal #33: Grenache/Grenache Blanc for Cinco de Mayo

Summer
August TBD: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread

Pending
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Every day?
Generally it's the last post that's the earliest, and I did get up later than usual one morning to be treated to an espresso...

True...every work day. Weekends are for sleeping in. I'm not a morning person either.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

I hate exercising in the morning and I find I don't have the energy for it in the morning. Late afternoon early evening is where it's at. Plus late night hockey games make for great sleeping at night. And you wake up feeling great.

CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

The fact that the sellout.woot is advertised, 3-Piece Lamp Set with Bulbs, makes me giddy. I wasn't gonna buy it, but damnit ITS GOT BULBS!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I find that there's always something getting in the way of exercise after work, plus I don't like to work out on a full stomach or eat dinner at a late hour every day.

So, despite the temptation to sleep in on cold windy mornings like today, the early hours are the only time I can count on actually getting to the gym. And once I get rolling, I find it to be a great way to start the day. And I rarely have to wait to use any of the equipment, since there's no crowd at 5:30 in the morning!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

coynedj

bhodilee wrote:The fact that the sellout.woot is advertised, 3-Piece Lamp Set with Bulbs, makes me giddy. I wasn't gonna buy it, but damnit ITS GOT BULBS!

Did you say bulbs?!? Wow, I'm going to have to check this out right away! Haven't seen any of those in a long time.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
coynedj wrote:I find that there's always something getting in the way of exercise after work, plus I don't like to work out on a full stomach or eat dinner at a late hour every day.

So, despite the temptation to sleep in on cold windy mornings like today, the early hours are the only time I can count on actually getting to the gym. And once I get rolling, I find it to be a great way to start the day. And I rarely have to wait to use any of the equipment, since there's no crowd at 5:30 in the morning!

With you on this. Add in no traffic and choice of parking spots when I drive in at 5:30, and it just got to be my habit. Though I am sure workout will be later once I retire.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

So we were having dinner outside and my son is clearing the table and drops 3 plates that shatter on the pool deck. Luckily, none landed in the pool (that we know of). The set of dishes are 15-20 years old so I could justify a new set, but I am seriously thinking about going with the philosophy of one of our favorite local restaurants: mix and match. As in, go to Goodwill and pick out whatever single plates you like and use whatever is on the top of the stack. Seems like it would be so much easier, especially when you have 9 people and a set of 8. Or when you break one and need more.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda
pseudogourmet98 wrote:I am seriously thinking about going with the philosophy of one of our favorite local restaurants: mix and match. As in, go to Goodwill and pick out whatever single plates you like and use whatever is on the top of the stack. Seems like it would be so much easier, especially when you have 9 people and a set of 8. Or when you break one and need more.

I have to second this idea. While its great to have a set of all one color or design, it just gets glaring when you have one or two that don't match. Go to a local Thrift Store and look for interesting plates. Unless your doing something formal, I feel it gives you a more rustic/informal/home-y feel at the table.

But then, I'm a guy, what do I know?

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

coynedj

pseudogourmet98 wrote:So we were having dinner outside and my son is clearing the table and drops 3 plates that shatter on the pool deck. Luckily, none landed in the pool (that we know of). The set of dishes are 15-20 years old so I could justify a new set, but I am seriously thinking about going with the philosophy of one of our favorite local restaurants: mix and match. As in, go to Goodwill and pick out whatever single plates you like and use whatever is on the top of the stack. Seems like it would be so much easier, especially when you have 9 people and a set of 8. Or when you break one and need more.

I've done this for flatware (it's not silverware unless it's silver, right?). If not for my set of Corelle dishes that are difficult to break and easy to replace, I would probably do it for dishes as well. It is a strategy with much in it's favor, and little against it.

cortot20

SoCal #33 updated with official start-time and start compiling a list of wines. So swing on by and check it out sometime.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
polarbear22 wrote:With you on this. Add in no traffic and choice of parking spots when I drive in at 5:30, and it just got to be my habit. Though I am sure workout will be later once I retire.

It is difficult to get up early enough to work out, get ready, and be to work by 6:30 am...especially when one is a night owl.

Granted, the early am is the most controllable part of my day. Stupid healthy lifestyle changes...2.5# to my goal weight.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
pseudogourmet98 wrote:So we were having dinner outside and my son is clearing the table and drops 3 plates that shatter on the pool deck. Luckily, none landed in the pool (that we know of). The set of dishes are 15-20 years old so I could justify a new set, but I am seriously thinking about going with the philosophy of one of our favorite local restaurants: mix and match. As in, go to Goodwill and pick out whatever single plates you like and use whatever is on the top of the stack. Seems like it would be so much easier, especially when you have 9 people and a set of 8. Or when you break one and need more.

Just make sure they stack well. Or, get fiesta plates. Tons of colors. My wife loves them, we have lots.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cortot20

There's a full lunar eclipse tonight, 9:37 PST. Enjoy the sky watching we get four of these over the next two years.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:There's a full lunar eclipse tonight, 9:37 PST. Enjoy the sky watching we get four of these over the next two years.

Ok, I worked on LRO, so I've got a bit of a different take on this.
Peak is 00:47 PDT as it is 7:46 UT. Just starting to dim a bit now. Total should be 00:12~01:21 PDT

CT

cortot20

rjquillin wrote:Ok, I worked on LRO, so I've got a bit of a different take on this.
Peak is 00:47 PDT as it is 7:46 UT. Just starting to dim a bit now. Total should be 00:12~01:21 PDT

Thanks for the graphic, I got my fire pit lit and my star gazing binoculars out. It should be a good show .

CT

rjquillin

Pretty nice. Would be even better without the thin overcast.

CT

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:It's a girl! We just had our ultrasound.

Condolences ... err, congrats!

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to Cortot20's SWMBO!!

Happy Birthday to Cortot20's SWMBO!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

polarbear22

Our friends do this. Nice old plates with interesting designs. Each plate is different. Guests always seem to comment on it and like it.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

polarbear22

otolith wrote:It is difficult to get up early enough to work out, get ready, and be to work by 6:30 am...especially when one is a night owl.

Granted, the early am is the most controllable part of my day. Stupid healthy lifestyle changes...2.5# to my goal weight.

I'll give you that. I don't get to the office until 7:30, and fitness center is right here. And I don't have anyone waiting if it gets to 7:45.

Good luck hitting the goal weight. Pretty close.

My Cellar

otolith

This is genius!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

My grandparents did this with Fiestaware. They probably had 8 or more colors of dishes and accessories.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cortot20

She says thanks sparky.

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta

SQN alert at last bottle. $249 for a 3 pack of Mr K

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

I do this with both my everyday dishes, good china flatware and stemware. I just buy pieces I like when I see them (or I break them)
Makes things fun! when anything gets broken, I don't get upset, I just say "yeah, time to go buy another....)

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
ThunderThighs wrote:My grandparents did this with Fiestaware. They probably had 8 or more colors of dishes and accessories.

Looked at the Fiestaware but that would still feed into my need to make it look balanced, or color coordinated or somehow "matching". The more I think about it I like the liberating effect of true mix and match from second hand stores. Has the added advantage of making me feel good about re-purposing someone else's cast-offs.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Finally got around to trying the hoisin-glazed salmon recipe that was recommended by InFrom several months ago. Very quick, easy and was pleased with the results. Tried an odd pairing, knowing that salmon can hold its own to a lot of wines, and had some pedroncelli sangiovese with it. Worked rather well.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

This makes me relatively uncomfortable.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

No Woot-Off tonight? I guess Woot figured we'd all be busy running to mail our tax returns.

MarkDaSpark

And when are they going to get the search feature working for our Stuff you Bought?

It's a pain trying to remember if I already bought the 2008 Wellington Victory. Or I could just enter it into CellarTracker.

Edit: Whew! Already bought 2 sets back in March. Only had to go to Page 2.

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to bahwm!!

Happy Birthday to bahwm!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Happy Birthday to bahwm!!

Lotta these this month it seems.
HB Bahwm.

CT

cortot20

MarkDaSpark wrote:And when are they going to get the search feature working for our Stuff you Bought?

It's a pain trying to remember if I already bought the 2008 Wellington Victory. Or I could just enter it into CellarTracker.

Edit: Whew! Already bought 2 sets back in March. Only had to go to Page 2.

I was about to say, the 08' victory has only been offered this year. How much junk could you have bought this year already that it's already off the 1st page?

CT

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:I was about to say, the 08' victory has only been offered this year. How much junk could you have bought this year already that it's already off the 1st page?

You been hitting the bottle already this morning?

CT

cortot20

rjquillin wrote:You been hitting the bottle already this morning?

I'm rarely coherent! But my writing first thing in the morning can often resemble my writing after a couple of glasses.

CT

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:I was about to say, the 08' victory has only been offered this year. How much junk could you have bought this year already that it's already off the 1st page?

It was early March, remember?

Wines:
Shannon Ridge PS (DUH!)
Geyser Peak Bin Cabernet Sauvignon 2-Pack
Scott Harvey InZin
Scott Harvey Jana Rosé (share 2 w/ Klez, IIRC)
Belisario Verdicchio di Matelica Italian White (5) (Share 1 or 2 with RJ)
Ty Caton enTycement (3)

Shirts:
Tasty Crunchable Birdses
Firefly/Serenity (Duh!)
Radioactive Cat
Coexist
Here Be Dragons

Other:
Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: The Collector's Edition
2100 mAh Battery Case for Galaxy S3
Kershaw Camp 10 Knife (Needed for Zombiepocolypse)
plus some other stuff

And that's cutting back on Wine buying!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:Lotta these this month it seems.
HB Bahwm.

+1 to both statements.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

otolith

rjquillin wrote:You been hitting the bottle already this morning?

Seems pretty clear to me!

--John Muir