2009 Cabernet Franc, Dry Creek Valley
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
12/9/13

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

sdfreedive

quality posts: 22 Private Messages sdfreedive

Can't find wine woot from the top header bar or from the right nav bar.
Edit:
Weird it's all back now.

dalematthew

quality posts: 21 Private Messages dalematthew

It's back!

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

Phew!!!!
I thought wine.woot was gone.

CT

daymeeyan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daymeeyan

Was going through withdrawal for a minute.

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen

that was a close one.

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin

Imagine how WD must have felt.
Terminated, with extreme prejudice.

CT

rjquillin

cmaldoon has consumed two of these and left no notes.
BAD cmaldoon!

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz

Had this at timetotestit's a while back. Kyle really liked it.

"The older I get the better I was"

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Had ya worried, didn't we? Start time was set wrong for some reason. All better.

Panic over

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

welcome back wine.woot!

that was fun while it lasted!

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:cmaldoon has consumed two of these and left no notes.
BAD cmaldoon!

There are some good tasting notes in the previous offer linked above, including cmaldoon's.

cortot20

Sometimes I feel like making some dummy CT accounts and just x-posting all the notes from each thread into CT with it.

Edit: I made the account. Wine.woot_taster

CT

ThunderThighs

Staff

chipgreen wrote:There are some good tasting notes in the previous offer linked above, including cmaldoon's.

Repost them here and you'll get the quality post.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rjquillin

ThunderThighs wrote:Repost them here and you'll get the quality post.

tease!

CT

chipgreen

cortot20 wrote:Sometimes I feel like making some dummy CT accounts and just x-posting all the notes from each thread into CT with it.

I do try to x-post my TNs to CT (minus the monkeys and other shenanigans) and have noticed that you do the same, it is appreciated.

Also really appreciate that Cesare posts the specs into CT.

ThunderThighs wrote:Repost them here and you'll get the quality post.

Thought it would be a bit redundant since Cesare posted a link to the previous offer containing those notes. I am tempted though, even if only to 1-up RJ who has the exact same # of QPs as I do, haha.

cortot20

chipgreen wrote:Thought it would be a bit redundant since Cesare posted a link to the previous offer containing those notes. I am tempted though, even if only to 1-up RJ who has the exact same # of QPs as I do, haha.

I went ahead and did it. We will see if this is something worth keeping up for notes that don't get into CT.

CT

chipgreen

cortot20 wrote:I went ahead and did it. We will see if this is something worth keeping up for notes that don't get into CT.

This could get interesting when Wine.woot_taster starts to disagree with himself!

ThunderThighs

Staff

And still, not one useful post.

chipgreen

ThunderThighs wrote:And still, not one useful post.

Oh, ok....

cmaldoon's notes: "Had this wine at home on Friday night with home cooked tapas

Color: very slightly purplish red. The level of pigmentation was relatively light, darker than almost any Pinot but lighter than most cabs.

Nose: half an hour in it smelled of cranberry juice/ cherry juice (very fruity). Some green pepper/jalapeño and a hint of black pepper. Later in the night it seemed to pick up a Eucalyptus note and kinda smelled like wild berry ricola cough drops (in a good way)

Palate: Half an hour in this was definitely the cran cherry from on the nose. Bright and fruity. There was a round oakiness in the vanilla/molasses realm and then a very slightly bitter green jalapeño note. Bitter gets to me and this was under that threshold. A positive and interesting note rather than a distraction. Fine chalky tannins on the finish. As the night went on the green pepper note rose and then fell off, the fruitiness darkened to a mixed berry candy flavor and there were slightly more tannins but still quite fine.

Overall: no way this is 15.2 alc for one. It hides it amazingly well. The wine is very smooth with a medium body and goes down VERY EASILY. This is quite fruity but did not taste "commercial" to either of the tasters (we were glad). The green pepper note adds interest and I would be fine serving this wine to either neophytes or people who have wine frequently.

I think I'm in for a set as daily drinker material. Anyone in the Bay Area want to share shipping costs? "

Klez's notes: "We had a taste of this at a recent SoCal gathering! Wondering when it was going to show up!

We tasted all of these blind except for varietal identity. My notes say this wine is bright purple in colour. Nose is deep dark cherry with some fresh plum, and it's also very savoury with some herbaceous notes to go along with the fruit. Nothing vegetal that I noticed (I do like a little bell pepper in my Can Franc).

Palate was very fruity, strongly tannic, leather on the finish. I found there to be something slightly bitter as well, not to the point of unpleasant iirc. I found this wine to be relatively easy-drinking and once it has a little more time to age would be nicer. Say 1-3 more years before it's ready for prime time.

Once we unbagged the bottle, I was surprised (as were others) at the 15.2% alcohol. It hid that level very well, although that could have been a contributor to the bitterness on the finish.

At $18/bottle + ship/tax this is a decent but not stellar value, imo. Assuming you like the higher octane style, that is. "

Kyle's notes: "Had this at klez's. I liked it more than he did, but I like a little more fruit in my wines than he does, generally. To compare to Toothy II which some of you have had, this is bigger, a little less food friendly, it doesn't have as pronounced of a green streak, but it's flat out delicious for my palate. At under $20/btl, I like this deal. Not screaming, but pretty fair price. I would describe this as a pretty clear CA interpretation of CF. Lots of fruit, body, and much higher (but very well-hidden) alcohol compared to the Loire. "

losthighwayz' notes: "I too had this at the recent SoCal woot gathering. I echo what Klez and Kyle have said. I thought it was a fruit forward interpretation of CF and though good, not what I prefer in Cab Francs (rubber, dirt, green peppers). I think that it would be a crowd pleaser for non CF drinkers and the price is fair IMO"

Cyradia's notes: "I bought the cab franc last time it was offered and I enjoyed it. I opened it side by side with a woot cellars toothsteinn. I remember liking them both, but the toothy had more fruit. Cab franc was good out of the bottle venturied, but maybe even a little better the next day. Just like you'd expect...really shun when paired with the food (roast beef).

If I have another good food pairing to put with it before this offer times out, I'll open another bottle and try to jot down some more detailed tasting notes. "

ThunderThighs

Staff

chipgreen wrote:Oh, ok....

There. Now was that so hard?

And thank you.

chipgreen

ThunderThighs wrote:There. Now was that so hard?

And thank you.

No, but it would have been just as easy to click the previous offer link in Cesare's post.

Although I did pull Cyradia's notes from a separate offer for the same wine, so... bonus!

ThunderThighs

Staff

chipgreen wrote:No, but it would have been just as easy to click the previous offer link in Cesare's post.

Although I did pull Cyradia's notes from a separate offer for the same wine, so... bonus!

And now you're ahead of RJ in quality posts.

chipgreen

ThunderThighs wrote:And now you're ahead of RJ in quality posts.

That'll teach him not to call you a tease!

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia
chipgreen wrote:No, but it would have been just as easy to click the previous offer link in Cesare's post.

Nice. Now I can be lazy and go back to enjoying my coffee.

For anybody on the fence, I'd jump in. I didn't regret the purchase at all and if I didn't still have some left (and a ton of wine already on its way to me) I'd buy more. I think it's better than your average $15 bottle (think it's cheaper this time, yeah?) and a good cab franc to have in your collection.

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:That'll teach him not to call you a tease!

Too lazy to muck with it on a Nexus, way too easy to click the prior offer link.

What I'd like to see is a comparison of this to those WineSmith CF's I've had, liked, and want a reappearance of, and I know from those notes posted by others at least one has had both, and more!
If this is anywhere close I'm in.

CT

cortot20

chipgreen wrote:This could get interesting when Wine.woot_taster starts to disagree with himself!

I figured a generic name would imply that it's more of a posting service for the lazy. But I'll fill out the profile accordingly to hopefully eliminate confusion.

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
rjquillin wrote:cmaldoon has consumed two of these and left no notes.
BAD cmaldoon!

I believe I left notes on the last offer. I've been very remiss at leaving notes in CT recently I know.

This wine is a CF of the lighter, smoother style. Definitely varietally correct notes of red berry and green pepper. Good acidity, goes well with food. I use it as a daily drinker because I have no clue how CF ages and I need more wines to simply drink and enjoy.

I recommend this wine at this price.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cortot20

Info post:
All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wineing.

CT

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:I believe I left notes on the last offer. I've been very remiss at leaving notes in CT recently I know.

This wine is a CF of the lighter, smoother style. Definitely varietally correct notes of red berry and green pepper. Good acidity, goes well with food. I use it as a daily drinker because I have no clue how CF ages and I need more wines to simply drink and enjoy.

I recommend this wine at this price.

Yeah, I found those, but as the door was not latched just had to kick it in.

How does this compare the CF I assume you tasted with Clark and Mike?

CT

malikafka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malikafka

anyone know what has happened to NH? We are no longer on the list?

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
rjquillin wrote:How does this compare the CF I assume you tasted with Clark and Mike?

Which one? I think I have had 5 different versions, 3 of which were from the same vintage... laughs..

diamond ridge, winesmith, and two jakes... all from '08

winesmith '06

some newer vintage I can't recall with a label I can't recall...

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

malikafka wrote:anyone know what has happened to NH? We are no longer on the list?

It's been awhile (since Oct of last year) that big changes were made:
http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5591348

You also check out Ship Compliant Blog and any new updates and info on your state.

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:Which one? I think I have had 5 different versions, 3 of which were from the same vintage... laughs..

diamond ridge, winesmith, and two jakes... all from '08

winesmith '06

some newer vintage I can't recall with a label I can't recall...

The '06 & '08 WS

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

Coordinates Cabernet Franc 4-Pack
Speed to first woot: 7m 8.661s
First sucker:azammalik
Last wooter to woot:trifecta
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

I bit. Can't have too much cab franc around, especially at this price point.