quality posts: 1563 Private Messages Cesare

Attila 'Scourge of God' Hard Apple Cider Case
$77.99 $127.00 39% off List Price
Attila Scourge of God Hard Apple Cider 22 ounce
CT link above

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

raisedbywolves

quality posts: 34 Private Messages raisedbywolves

Hey Wooters, Cider is up any questions let me know.

Cheers!

cortot20

quality posts: 131 Private Messages cortot20

What in the world. Caviar and now this...... Mind is blown. Now I have hope for the eventual beer.woot.

CT

smittypap

quality posts: 6 Private Messages smittypap
cortot20 wrote:What in the world. Caviar and now this...... Mind is blown. Now I have hope for the eventual beer.woot.

Not before bacon.woot, let's hope.

Crap

shahnm

quality posts: 24 Private Messages shahnm
cortot20 wrote:What in the world. Caviar and now this...... Mind is blown. Now I have hope for the eventual beer.woot.

+1.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000...

...for beer.woot!

djkid1974

quality posts: 4 Private Messages djkid1974

what a shame! sounds tasty!

"Sorry, some of the wine in your order can’t ship to that state. Either remove that wine from your order or give us a shipping address in a different state."

tekkitan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tekkitan

Ingredients list?

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin

The monkey was playing with it, went off his rocker, and hurled a bottle my way.
This has a crown cap.
I haven't seen or needed to open one of those in years, perhaps 20+ years at least.
Last time I likely used a pair of pliers, but this fancy doubled hinged thingie I got from Woot to do corks also does crown caps; but I had pliers as a backup.

The label says it's 3G. That's kinda old school in a 4G world I'd think.
Wait, the G's are Golden Delicious, Gala and Granny Smith.
Cider
Hard Cider to be precise.
Isn't this a fall~winter beverage?
It's just spring now, unless I've warped to the southern hemisphere, but then Julian CA wouldn't be just 66km away.

I have absolutely no idea what to do with this or what it should taste like, so I went and got this nearly identical looking brown bottle from the local mountain town of Julian as a benchmark.

I'm now confronted with two bottles of this apple stuff that have both chilled in the fridge overnight and need to find glassware of some type.
Stemware? Don't think so.
Tumbler? Yeah, that should work, I've got some clear glass ones.

Ok, in a glass it rather looks like a well pigmented bubbly, very pale straw, but they (bubbles) dissipate ~fast~. A few minutes after the pour and I can count all of them on one hand, so it's nothing at all like those pressurized bottles that spray all over if you don't uncork them just right.

It smells kinda yeasty, tart maybe, if that is a smell.

Taste, yowsa. That was unexpected.
Perhaps the only hard cider I've had was when the un-pasteurized stuff got kept a bit too long and got a bit of a bite to it.
I actually kinda liked that. Still reminded me of cider, but with a bit of a kick.
This is NOT at all like that.
Both of these, to SWMBO and I, are bitter, and have a metallic overtone that are just not at all pleasant, much less refreshing, and they both leave a kind of funky taste that entirely coats my mouth and sent me off to grab a glass of water.
After it sat around a half hour or so, the aroma rather reminded me of stale beer.

Oh, this monkey bottle is
Attila, Scourge of God Hard Apple Cider
that was compared to
Julian 'Harvest Apple" Hard Cider of unknown apple varieties.

From the back label it is suggested I can learn more about Attila Hard Cider at
www.AttilaHardCider.com
but the link is dead, rather like this bottle for me; well, there is a landing page with zero content.
Sorry folks, clearly neither I, nor SWMBO with similar comments, are hard cider fans and have less than zero appreciation for the craft. YMMV, but I just call 'em as I taste 'em.

Hopefully there will be some reporting in that know this beverage and can appreciate and properly express what they are tasting for those that are fans of hard cider. For now, I'll stick to plain cider and apples.

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
tekkitan wrote:Ingredients list?

Other than golden delicious, gala, and Granny Smith apples?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

raisedbywolves

tekkitan wrote:Ingredients list?

Gala, Granny Smith and Golden Delicious apples all grown in the Yakima Valley in Washington. Fermented from 100% fresh apple cider, not from concentrate or any artificial ingredients other than a light dose of SO2 at the time of crush.

unixrab

quality posts: 10 Private Messages unixrab

is this 12 pint bottles for $78?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

raisedbywolves

unixrab wrote:is this 12 pint bottles for $78?

22oz bombers

raisedbywolves

Follow the link from Sip Northwest to learn more about Attila.

http://www.sipnorthwest.com/2013/12/attila-cider/

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen

I don't have a lot of experience with hard cider but it seems to be trendy right now. A few cider houses have opened up here in Ohio and some wineries are now producing their own hard ciders as well.

It's been over a year since I tasted one but I can concur with rj's assessment that hard cider is nothing like regular apple cider. For one thing, it's usually dry although like wine, it can be off-dry or even sweet.

For me, the ciders I tried were a little on the bland side, flavor-wise. I do like the fact that this is being offered and I'm interested in giving hard cider another chance but I'm not up for a full case of it. I probably would have gone in on a 6-pack offer.

TheSquareBear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheSquareBear

I'd be interested in trying this, but not for that exorbitant price. Even at being 22oz bottles, that's like twenty dollars for a six pack! You can get Woodchuck six pack for around $10-ish.

And supposedly this is 39% below retail???
Look, I like spending mah money on boozahol as much as anyone, but C'mon! This had better be some friggin' amazing hooch! for that kinda coin.
amiright?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

A flying monkey also threw one my way, but forgot to include a note when it would go up.

Will report tomorrow, early as possible, since it's way too late now to open one. Plus, I'm hoping JavaDrinker & CoffeeMate will be available.

The label said Gluten Free, which should please CoffeeMate.

Edit: They're also on Facebook

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

raisedbywolves

TheSquareBear wrote:I'd be interested in trying this, but not for that exorbitant price. Even at being 22oz bottles, that's like twenty dollars for a six pack! You can get Woodchuck six pack for around $10-ish.

Look, I like spending mah money on boozahol as much as anyone, but C'mon! This had better be some friggin' amazing hooch! for that kinda coin.
amiright?

Many of the cheaper ciders are made from concentrate, corn syrups and artificial flavors, etc. Please compare with other craft ciders, we're in the ball park.

Jerry559

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jerry559
TheSquareBear wrote:I'd be interested in trying this, but not for that exorbitant price. Even at being 22oz bottles, that's like twenty dollars for a six pack! You can get Woodchuck six pack for around $10-ish.

amiright?

"Word". 'Tis a bit steep.
I love hard cider. Everything from Michelobe Ultra light cider to Blackthorn to Strongbow to Angry Orchard to Crispin's origional and Browns Lane. (Plus many others I cannot recall right now.)

Some of Crispin's craft ciders sell for $9-$10 a large bottle but that is still way below the current offering's price point.

No way I'm going to gamble that sort of dosh on an untried brand.

TheSquareBear

raisedbywolves wrote:Many of the cheaper ciders are made from concentrate, corn syrups and artificial flavors, etc. Please compare with other craft ciders, we're in the ball park.

http://www.binnys.com/beer/Crispin_Cider_Original_53704.html

Not from concentrate and gluten free
http://www.crispincider.com/products/the-classic-blue-line/crispin-original/

Jerry559

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jerry559
raisedbywolves wrote:Many of the cheaper ciders are made from concentrate, corn syrups and artificial flavors, etc. Please compare with other craft ciders, we're in the ball park.

Having posted my previous comment, it is true I may not have tried a 100% apple product. I seem to remember seeing a cider labled "Organic" at the store but I've not purchased it. That being said, I have a difficult time believing it was at this price point.

TheSquareBear

Jerry559 wrote:"Word". 'Tis a bit steep.
I love hard cider. Everything from Michelobe Ultra light cider to Blackthorn to Strongbow to Angry Orchard to Crispin's origional and Browns Lane. (Plus many others I cannot recall right now.)

Some of Crispin's craft ciders sell for $9-$10 a large bottle but that is still way below the current offering's price point.

Thanx for backing me up!

raisedbywolves

TheSquareBear wrote:Thanx for backing me up!

Finn River, Tieton Cider Works, Blue Mountain Cider, Julian just to name a few all retail over $7/bottle or more plus shipping and handling charges.

TheSquareBear

raisedbywolves wrote:Finn River, Tieton Cider Works, Blue Mountain Cider, Julian just to name a few all retail over $7/bottle or more plus shipping and handling charges.

all i'm saying is this is woot.com, not weareoverpricedcraftbeers.com

people come here looking for "deals", not for the privilege of being able to pay about as much as anywhere else.

MarkDaSpark

Jerry559 wrote:"Word". 'Tis a bit steep.

Watchu Talkin 'bout, Willis?

Perhaps you failed math. Price point here on Wine.Woot is around $6.92 a bottle ($77.99 + $5 shipping = $82.99 total, then divided by 12 makes it $6.92 a bottle). Which makes it at least $2 below your Crispin's craft ciders.

I do seem to recall seeing a retail price point around $16, which would be above it, but that's not the Woot price.

Sorry, but one of my pet peeves is someone who doesn't do the math right.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

TheSquareBear wrote:http://www.binnys.com/beer/Crispin_Cider_Original_53704.html

Not from concentrate and gluten free
http://www.crispincider.com/products/the-classic-blue-line/crispin-original/

I see the GF, but nothing about it not being from concentrate.

MarkDaSpark

TheSquareBear wrote:all i'm saying is this is woot.com, not weareoverpricedcraftbeers.com

people come here looking for "deals", not for the privilege of being able to pay about as much as anywhere else.

Check again ... this is under your normal retail price of most Hard Ciders.

Yes, the "deals" aren't as good as before, but it's better than anywhere on the internetwebz.

TheSquareBear

MarkDaSpark wrote:I see the GF, but nothing about it not being from concentrate.

http://www.crispincider.com
"Always true to the apple, Crispin Hard Ciders naturally fermented in the USA use fresh pressed apple-juice, not from apple juice concentrate, from a premium blend of US West Coast apples, with no added malt, grape wine or spirit alcohol. Crispin's unique USA produced ciders are smoothed with pure apple juice or from natural sugar sources like organic honey or organic maple syrup, and contain no added colorants, sorbate or benzoate preservatives."

TheSquareBear

MarkDaSpark wrote:Watchu Talkin 'bout, Willis?

Perhaps you failed math. Price point here on Wine.Woot is around $6.92 a bottle ($77.99 + $5 shipping = $82.99 total, then divided by 12 makes it $6.92 a bottle). Which makes it at least $2 below your Crispin's craft ciders.

I do seem to recall seeing a retail price point around $16, which would be above it, but that's not the Woot price.

Sorry, but one of my pet peeves is someone who doesn't do the math right.

http://www.binnys.com/beer/Crispin_Cider_Original_53704.html
seven dollars fifty cents divided by forty-eight ounces equals fifteen point six cents per/oz.

vs.

eighty dollars divided by two hundred sixty-four ounces equals thirty point three cents per/oz.

~YOU do the math

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Oooh, cat fight! This could get nastier than Game of Thrones. Time for some popcorn....

lmensor

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lmensor

I like hard cider and like trying new things, but I think being this is a new offer it would have been better to go with 6 at a lower price point than 12. Then maybe more would be willing to give it a try.

hunter7411

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hunter7411

I love my hard cider but this is a hard price point as a blind buy.
Its going to be hard to top Crispin Honey Crisp hard cider (http://www.binnys.com/beer/Crispin_Honey_Crisp_53707.html) especially given the price point. If only there was a way to do a tasting....

lec235

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lec235

A small batch cider house in my area retails 750ml bottles for $15, but I can go to the tasting room and *try* stuff before I buy it. Even if it was one bottle for $8-$10, I'd be willing to bite, but a whole case? What if it tastes like vinegar?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 546 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all, less bickering and more talking about the offer. Which most of this is on topic but just for the heck of it....

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

draigun

quality posts: 21 Private Messages draigun

"(1:53 AM, today) [Insider] raisedbywolves notes"

Aww, woot. You missed a golden opportunity to make another cider pun. "Incider"

[MOD: Ooooh, nice. Fixed. ]

fibrs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fibrs

I'm really excited to see hard cider on here, but this is too much to drop on something I haven't tried.

I'm not saying the price per ounce is bad, just that the total price is too much of an investment. Perhaps three or six bottles would have been a better offer.

cortot20

quality posts: 131 Private Messages cortot20

A 6pack might have been a good idea here since it can be scaled up to two or three orders. Especially since it's a new thing to woot.

CT

toothpastecosby

quality posts: 1 Private Messages toothpastecosby
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Oooh, cat fight! This could get nastier than Game of Thrones. Time for some popcorn....

This made me laught SOOO hard. Haha

toothpastecosby

quality posts: 1 Private Messages toothpastecosby

amiright?

And I have to agree. My first reaction was that this was a bit pricy. But I dont buy alot of cider. Mostly just Miller light. Guess im just not classy enough for that thar pricy apple stuff.

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia

Man, I think I simultaneously agree with both sides of the fight.

On one hand, it's similarly priced (err, not the same, but...a reasonable woot discount from retail) to what I've seen when visiting cideries (is that the right word?) E.g., I've visited these people a few times: http://store.foggyridgecider.com/cider-c2.aspx <-That should link to their price page showing 750 ml bottles for about $16ish a pop.

The tasting was pleasant. The people were lovely. I bought a token bottle on my way out to give them a little more support.

I didn't buy 12 bottles, because of two things:

(1) I like my ciders in 12 oz bottles. I don't like flat or warm cider and I don't like to feel like I need multiple people around and committed to drinking glasses at the same time. I usually reach for it on a hot afternoon, and I want the fresh single serving experience. Counter point to that is the "boutique" ciders I've had, had a lot less fizz...so maybe the makers don't expect it to be consumed in one sitting. I like a little fizz.

(2) I don't enjoy it more than I enjoy a lot cheaper options at the grocery store. Which probably means I don't have a developed palette for cider and I might very well be drinking stuff from concentrate. That said, since I can't tell a difference...I have a hard time paying 4x (this potato math figure was derived from the $16 price point in my story...please don't yell at me, Mark).

This probably condemns me to "horrible cider palette" for sure...but I've been enjoying Trader Joe's Newton's Folly for cheap and refreshing cider recently. I see now it has some pretty horrible reviews online. If you try it though...avoid the Granny Smith variety. Blick.