$129.99 $186.00 30% off List Price
(1) Tsar Nicoulai Estate Caviar, 1 ounce
(1) Tsar Nicoulai Select Caviar, 1 ounce
(1) Cultured Mother of Pearl Demi Spoon

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

dawgdave99

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dawgdave99

It's worth it just for the spoon alone!

spizmar

quality posts: 11 Private Messages spizmar

Really? $130 for fish eggs that haven't even hatched?

davidplace

quality posts: 3 Private Messages davidplace

From Russia or Ukraine?

birute

quality posts: 1 Private Messages birute
davidplace wrote:From Russia or Ukraine?

Says USA

ushindi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ushindi

Both the "Estate" and the "Select" are farmed in the U.S.A.

roxannemoran

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roxannemoran

Has anyone tried this? Any information would be appreciated.

patric9956

quality posts: 7 Private Messages patric9956

That's some purty expensive bait. I can get the same down at Ned's Bait and Tackle for $5.99.

Yoooder

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Yoooder

Funny, I was just talking about having never tried caviar yesterday.

However, it looks like it's not easy stuff to store:

From http://www.tsarnicoulai.com/caviar_faq.php

If you follow our guidelines in “storing caviar at home” below, caviar in unopened vacuum sealed jars will maintain their freshness for five to six weeks, and unopened tins will be fresh for about two weeks. Once a jar or tin is opened, we suggest you enjoy the product within two to three days.

Household refrigerators are usually too warm for caviar products, we suggest the following: place a sealed bag of ice, or a frozen ice pack, on the caviar tin or jar and place it in the coldest part of the refrigerator, usually the back; replenish the ice as it melts

phonedog365

quality posts: 6 Private Messages phonedog365

So want. How expensive. Sad.

straka2537113

quality posts: 0 Private Messages straka2537113

Stupid House payments getting in the way of my caviar.

your going to have a quote of a quote as a signature? now this is just getting crazy! heh
Why must we all have signatures filled with other peoples quotes?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

We nurture our prized White Sturgeon in California's Central Valley as well as in the pristine waters of Hagerman, Idaho.

And hey! Eggs in time for Easter!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Today Ukraine, Tomorrow....THE WORLD!!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ThunderThighs wrote:We nurture our prized White Sturgeon in California's Central Valley as well as in the pristine waters of Hagerman, Idaho.

Great Caviar comes from Happy Sturgeon, Happy Sturgeon come from California. Real, California, Caviar.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

jarmbrecht

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jarmbrecht

i was curious what the difference between the "estate" and "select" varieties was, but it appears that the same jar was used for both pictures with only the lids swapped...

lurcher

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher
ThunderThighs wrote:

Too bad woot is not offing a coloring kit for these....

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I had lots of caviar being from Russia. Never had this brand, but seems a bit expensive. Also caviar can vary and if you ever buy caviar when its dry just add some mineral water. I think I will stick with buying my caviar from russian store

TsarNicoulaiCaviar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TsarNicoulaiCaviar
jarmbrecht wrote:i was curious what the difference between the "estate" and "select" varieties was, but it appears that the same jar was used for both pictures with only the lids swapped...

The Estate has a dark color, a 2.8mm bead, with a rich and clean flavor. While the Select has a salt and pepper color, a 3.0mm bead, and a smooth finish.

TsarNicoulaiCaviar

bhodilee wrote:Great Caviar comes from Happy Sturgeon, Happy Sturgeon come from California. Real, California, Caviar.

We couldn't agree with you more!
Our beautiful white sturgeon take at least 7 years of TLC before they are ready.

Igannon

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Igannon

What usually keeps me from purchasing caviar (other than high price and low income) is that the shipping alone is incredibly expensive. Is this still $5 shipping? And is it o/n shipping?

blaculadave

quality posts: 18 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

Igannon wrote:What usually keeps me from purchasing caviar (other than high price and low income) is that the shipping alone is incredibly expensive. Is this still $5 shipping? And is it o/n shipping?

Yes, still $5.00 shipping. And yes, it will ship via Overnight service for arrival in time for Easter.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

For $135 I can but two whole ribeye's at just under 10lb a piece, or one whole beef tenderloin of approximately the same weight.

I think I will stick to those instead of 2 oz of caviar. I can also probably get a baby spoon at walmart for less than a buck.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

blaculadave wrote:Yes, still $5.00 shipping. And yes, it will ship via Overnight service for arrival in time for Easter.

yep. overnight service next week. if you are ever going to take the plunge with caviar (or give to your mother ) this is the deal.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 48 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

I've never really cared enough about caviar to understand how it is different from roe on sushi - is anyone out there willing to explain? $130 buys a nice dinner at Sushi Ran. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water for some king trumpet mushrooms.

popsynth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages popsynth

So let me get this straight, never serve caviar in a metal spoon as it changes the taste. Your caviar comes in metal tins?
Edit: Nevermind, I was reading on the host website. Should look at the pics.

TsarNicoulaiCaviar

SmilingBoognish wrote:I've never really cared enough about caviar to understand how it is different from roe on sushi - is anyone out there willing to explain? $130 buys a nice dinner at Sushi Ran. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water for some king trumpet mushrooms.

Like a nice dinner or a fine wine, 2 ounces of our caviar gives you a truly unique experience like none other. The flavors produced are both rare and uninhibited, we only harvest our sturgeon when the roe is just right and our caviar is made free of preservatives with just a dash of salt.

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada
SmilingBoognish wrote:I've never really cared enough about caviar to understand how it is different from roe on sushi - is anyone out there willing to explain? $130 buys a nice dinner at Sushi Ran. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water for some king trumpet mushrooms.

Think of it this way. Many wine drinkers can't understand why a a good Cali Cab or a good Bordeaux costs much more than two buck Chuck, it's all wine right? Caviar from a sturgeon has an entirely different flavor and feel than eggs from any other fish, that is why people have paid such high prices for it for a long time. And like a fine wine, it is perhaps an acquired taste and takes some experience to discern the difference but there is a big difference. Your average ikura sushi (salmon eggs) are to caviar what a bottle of average red wine is to a fine Napa Cab. The salmon eggs are large and very viscous when you bite into them and I have always noticed a hint of bitterness in them, no matter how fresh they are. Caviar is much smaller and delicate with a sublime flavor.

To address the fact that $130 will buy a lot of fine steak, that's true but it takes several years for the sturgeon to grow to the size necessary to get a fair amount of eggs, apparently these sturgeon are harvested at 7 years of age and that is a long time to care for and feed them before they provide any return. Beeves mature much more quickly and produce a lot more steak per animal than the fish produce eggs.

If you have the spare change and have never had real caviar, and enjoy interesting food, I think this is well worth a shot, and reasonably priced from what I have seen.

My dogs like me, that is important.

sdfreedive

quality posts: 25 Private Messages sdfreedive

Never had this brand before. We tend to get the stuff from Costco which is Plaza Royale. Good caviar is a treat so we'll splurge on it occasionally. Though tbh I've not had a great wine pairing with caviar so I'm interested in ideas there.

http://www.costco.com/Farmed-White-Sturgeon-Royale-Caviar.product.100010822.html

TsarNicoulaiCaviar

[quote postid="5752179" user="sdfreedive"]Never had this brand before. We tend to get the stuff from Costco which is Plaza Royale. Good caviar is a treat so we'll splurge on it occasionally. Though tbh I've not had a great wine pairing with caviar so I'm interested in ideas

Pairing that harmonizes and highlights the buttery rich flavors of high quality small batch caviar is simple. A crisp white wine such a Sauvignon Blanc that has mineral undertones, a fine sparking wine with tiny bubbles, fine super chilled vodka, Aquavit from Scandinavia or go classic with Zubrowka - a vodka flavored with sweet grass. One sip of your beverage of choice and a spoon of excellent quality caviar will take pairing to the next level.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
TsarNicoulaiCaviar wrote:[quote postid="5752179" user="sdfreedive"]Never had this brand before. We tend to get the stuff from Costco which is Plaza Royale. Good caviar is a treat so we'll splurge on it occasionally. Though tbh I've not had a great wine pairing with caviar so I'm interested in ideas

Pairing that harmonizes and highlights the buttery rich flavors of high quality small batch caviar is simple. A crisp white wine such a Sauvignon Blanc that has mineral undertones, a fine sparking wine with tiny bubbles, fine super chilled vodka, Aquavit from Scandinavia or go classic with Zubrowka - a vodka flavored with sweet grass. One sip of your beverage of choice and a spoon of excellent quality caviar will take pairing to the next level.

^ That sounds good.

Any Suggestions for how to consume?
On a toast, or cracker? Cheese? Eggs? Chives?

Edit: And thanks for joining the discussion!

tewkewl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tewkewl

Hi have a strong suspicion that these are not made with real Tsar Nicolai eggs.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
tewkewl wrote:Hi have a strong suspicion that these are not made with real Tsar Nicolai eggs.

If you stole some from the fish farm, would they be poached eggs?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

TsarNicoulaiCaviar

edthebedhead wrote:^
Any Suggestions for how to consume?
On a toast, or cracker? Cheese? Eggs? Chives?

With the delicate flavor of quality caviar it is all about the taste sensation of the caviar beads on the upper palette unencumbered with other textures and flavors. If you must to have a vessel other than your pearl spoon or back of your thumb (Russian style):

No to crackers but yes to toast points with sweet butter on Brioche, Pumpernickel or a simple Sourdough bread.
Stay away from chesses but a little crème fraiche (sour cream) is great.
The egg is a perfect pairing in any form such as deviled or soft boiled.
Potatoes such as mashed, roasted or baked are wonderful with caviar.
The classic Russian pancake (the Blini) made with buckwheat served warm with butter is the pinnacle of epicurean delight.

sdfreedive

quality posts: 25 Private Messages sdfreedive
TsarNicoulaiCaviar wrote:[quote postid="5752179" user="sdfreedive"]Never had this brand before. We tend to get the stuff from Costco which is Plaza Royale. Good caviar is a treat so we'll splurge on it occasionally. Though tbh I've not had a great wine pairing with caviar so I'm interested in ideas

I guess the main issue is I'm not a huge mineral fan in whites. The flint taste that some like just isn't for me. Bubbly and vodka are good but I guess I was looking for more of a still wine. Maybe if some of the Winesmith faux chablis comes up I'll try it with some caviar.

Oh for those interested in caviar a in between step of ikura/salmon roe and sturgeon caviar is trout egg caviar. I've not really found paddlefish or whitefish roe to be great substitutes. The trout caviar has some of the briny taste of the sturgeon, though the eggs are a bit tough and to large, though quite a bit smaller then salmon roe. the price point also is makes it a cheaper experiment.

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms

I'd be curious to know what happens to the sturgeon after harvest... smoked sturgeon is excellent. It can also be pickled, poached, and sold as fresh. Fully sustainable generally means you have near zero waste of the product or product source.

I'm in for ... ?

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

TsarNicoulaiCaviar

brucedoesbms wrote:I'd be curious to know what happens to the sturgeon after harvest... smoked sturgeon is excellent. It can also be pickled, poached, and sold as fresh. Fully sustainable generally means you have near zero waste of the product or product source.

I'm in for ... ?

In an effort to adhere to our sustainable responsibilities, the whole fish does go to use. Once the roe has been harvested, we butcher the sturgeon into something called a "bullet". The rest is eventually reduced to a protein and used elsewhere.

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms
TsarNicoulaiCaviar wrote:In an effort to adhere to our sustainable responsibilities, the whole fish does go to use. Once the roe has been harvested, we butcher the sturgeon into something called a "bullet". The rest is eventually reduced to a protein and used elsewhere.

And where is "elsewhere"?

Let us hope that it is not sold as a mash that eventually becomes incorporated into some slovenly pet food or livestock feed.

Know the origin, but also be aware of the outcome.

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "