WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Aquinas Philosopher's Napa Valley Red Blend (3)

Speed to First Woot:
7m 1.883s
First Sucker:
edouardo
Last Wooter to Woot:
scphillips
Last Purchase:
4 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 42% of Wine Woots
Top 28% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 37% of Wine Woots
Top 21% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 2% first woot
  • 3% second woot
  • 13% < 10 woots
  • 23% < 25 woots
  • 59% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 1% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 11% one year old
  • 87% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 78% bought 1
  • 16% bought 2
  • 6% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

7%
1%
2%
1%
0%
2%
3%
3%
4%
10%
5%
7%
4%
7%
1%
6%
1%
6%
6%
3%
1%
7%
9%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1561 Private Messages Cesare

Aquinas Philosopher's Napa Valley Red Blend 3-Pack
$59.99 $125.00 52% off List Price
2009 Aquinas Philosopher’s Blend Reserve Red Wine, Napa Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

Here's a blog post with some tasting notes.
It might be suspect for shillage but it's better than nothing.
http://wineandgoodfood.com/2012/12/17/aquinas-philosophers-blend-2009-reserve-red-wine/
http://www.kenswineguide.com/wine_review/Aquinas-2009-Philosophers-Blend

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen

Philosopher's Blend? Hmm, I'm going to have to think about this one....

cortot20

From the description I gather this is the Sebastiani and sons victory type of wine. A BDX blend only made in high quality years.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
cortot20 wrote:From the description I gather this is the Sebastiani and sons victory type of wine. A BDX blend only made in high quality years.

2009, who knew?

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda

I really really do miss being able to order from wine woot (Virginia) especially when something like this comes up-it sounds delicious. Of course my husband calls my not being able to order answered prayer. I miss you wine woot!!

uutim99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uutim99
dianefreda wrote:I really really do miss being able to order from wine woot (Virginia) especially when something like this comes up-it sounds delicious. Of course my husband calls my not being able to order answered prayer. I miss you wine woot!!

I was able to order wine from Woot to Virginia a few years ago. Wish something can be work out soon so we, the people who live in Virginia, can order wine from Woot again.

jaschuyler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jaschuyler
dianefreda wrote:I really really do miss being able to order from wine woot (Virginia) especially when something like this comes up-it sounds delicious. Of course my husband calls my not being able to order answered prayer. I miss you wine woot!!

Woot can't legally operate in VA without major and probably fiscally impossible hurdles. Take it to your local state representatives and ask them to change the law. Virginians haven't been able to order wine from woot since late 2012 when the law in question came into effect.

In the short term, some wineries will match the deal when contacted directly. Like Pedroncelli from yesterday. I've have had luck with several others this year (Wellington and Scott Harvey from memory. ETA: Noceto and Amedeo/Vinum, too). It hurts little to send the winery an email asking politely to extend woot pricing to the states who can receive interstate wine shipments but who cannot order from Woot. Some wineries don't have licenses to ship to all states but most of 'em have licenses to ship to VA anyway.

pantojar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pantojar
chipgreen wrote:Philosopher's Blend? Hmm, I'm going to have to think about this one....

I like your style.

devilsmage

quality posts: 1 Private Messages devilsmage

I am a huge fan of the Aquinas brand, particularly the Cab.

This bottle has great notes of cherry, blackberry, cedar and a powerful *but not overpowering* cracked black pepper.

This wine should be paired with a good steak as it will blend the flavors nicely.

I would rate this wine a 94/100 and would buy this and their Cab again.

cortot20

devilsmage wrote:I am a huge fan of the Aquinas brand, particularly the Cab.

This bottle has great notes of cherry, blackberry, cedar and a powerful *but not overpowering* cracked black pepper.

This wine should be paired with a good steak as it will blend the flavors nicely.

Thanks for the notes, have you had other wines from woot you can compare it to?

CT

Symbolic2007

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Symbolic2007
jaschuyler wrote:Woot can't legally operate in VA without major and probably fiscally impossible hurdles. Take it to your local state representatives and ask them to change the law. Virginians haven't been able to order wine from woot since late 2012 when the law in question came into effect.

In the short term, some wineries will match the deal when contacted directly. Like Pedroncelli from yesterday. I've have had luck with several others this year (Wellington and Scott Harvey from memory. ETA: Noceto and Amedeo/Vinum, too). It hurts little to send the winery an email asking politely to extend woot pricing to the states who can receive interstate wine shipments but who cannot order from Woot. Some wineries don't have licenses to ship to all states but most of 'em have licenses to ship to VA anyway.

Thanks for this. I've always just assumed if W00t couldn't ship wine to me anymore (Missouri), then the winery couldn't either. Although that kinda drops the convenience factor of w00t, which is mostly why I'm here at all these days.

Metal is awesome, it's super-powerful and emotional, but at the end of the day we're dudes with long hair and guitars going "RAAAAAR!" -Devin Townsend

Symbolic2007

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Symbolic2007

Also, is it just me or did the list of shippable-to states get a LOT smaller in the last 2 years? We're down to 17 now. =(

Metal is awesome, it's super-powerful and emotional, but at the end of the day we're dudes with long hair and guitars going "RAAAAAR!" -Devin Townsend

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Symbolic2007 wrote:Also, is it just me or did the list of shippable-to states get a LOT smaller in the last 2 years? We're down to 17 now. =(

Yeah.

Wine.Woot is currently not able to offer wine deals in certain states, but will be opening up additional states as laws and regulations regarding selling wine online continue to evolve.

You're welcome to also check out this thread to discuss and talk about current Wine Shipping Laws

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

I've enjoyed many of the Sebastiani wines, and I'm sure this one is a nice wine, but I'm surprised there's not more tasting notes from our fellow wooters?

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
bsevern wrote:I've enjoyed many of the Sebastiani wines, and I'm sure this one is a nice wine, but I'm surprised there's not more tasting notes from our fellow wooters?

My thoughts exactly. In the early 90's I waited tables to put myself through college and the Sebastiani wines were generally a crowd pleaser with a relatively good QPR. I probably made more than half my income from gratuities on Sebastiani Cab and St. Francis Merlot.

donnysebas

quality posts: 13 Private Messages donnysebas
bsevern wrote:I've enjoyed many of the Sebastiani wines, and I'm sure this one is a nice wine, but I'm surprised there's not more tasting notes from our fellow wooters?

Thanks for your support. We released the 2009 vintage of this reserve wine because it really stood out to us. We actually had to commit to confidentiality behind the sourcing because it had such a high pedigree. We never released this broadly, we save it for best-of-the-best restaurants, friendly retailers etc. So it does not surprise me that there is not much ink written on it.

donnysebas

SmilingBoognish wrote:My thoughts exactly. In the early 90's I waited tables to put myself through college and the Sebastiani wines were generally a crowd pleaser with a relatively good QPR. I probably made more than half my income from gratuities on Sebastiani Cab and St. Francis Merlot.

Thank you. Consistent with my family's history, this wine has solid QPR. I only found out today what the woot price was and honestly I was surprised at how low it is.

donnysebas

devilsmage wrote:I am a huge fan of the Aquinas brand, particularly the Cab.

Thank you. This is a wine I drink at home for special occasions.

donnysebas

cortot20 wrote:From the description I gather this is the Sebastiani and sons victory type of wine. A BDX blend only made in high quality years.

I love the term "victory" wine. never heard of that. Yes indeed this is a wine for celebrations. We made a different reserve blend in '06. This '09 truly stands out from that. Totally different sourcing. The '09 is ripe and has Napa-blackberry fruit, but also earth and dust and savory elements. Many layers of flavors are what made this so special and the opportunity to bottle an '09 reserve was too good to pass up.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 196 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

donnysebas wrote:Thank you. Consistent with my family's history, this wine has solid QPR. I only found out today what the woot price was and honestly I was surprised at how low it is.

One of THE pioneering families in the history of California wines. Straight shooters to boot. Always a pleasure to have Don and Sons on wine.woot.

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin

So I guess I'll ask 'the' question here. How long is this good for in a proper cellar?

CT

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm
donnysebas wrote:Thank you. Consistent with my family's history, .... solid QPR.

True 'dat. From Sam to Gus to Sam and Don to .... Sebastiani has always represented solid value, very often well above it's price class.

In the mid-late 1980s, I once astounded a "First Growth Bordeaux" guy (whose cellar was broad and deep back to the '45s) at a DC restaurant with a 1970 Sebastiani Barbara. Probably the best California Barbara I've ever had, and a truly great wine.

I also have very fond memories of the Bin Pinot Noirs of the late '60s/early '70s -- from the early plantings in the Carneros region, IIRC, long before it was "discovered". No, not Hanzell in that big oaked Burgundian style, but really first class Sonoma Pinot Noir before almost anyone was thinking about Sonoma or Sebastiani beyond Zinfandel and quality generics.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

donnysebas

rjquillin wrote:So I guess I'll ask 'the' question here. How long is this good for in a proper cellar?

This wine will improve, change, evolve over the next 10 years. Optimal in five, but ready to party tonight.

donnysebas

rpm wrote:True 'dat. From Sam to Gus to Sam and Don to .... Sebastiani has always represented solid value, very often well above it's price class.

In the mid-late 1980s, I once astounded a "First Growth Bordeaux" guy (whose cellar was broad and deep back to the '45s) at a DC restaurant with a 1970 Sebastiani Barbara. Probably the best California Barbara I've ever had, and a truly great wine.

I also have very fond memories of the Bin Pinot Noirs of the late '60s/early '70s -- from the early plantings in the Carneros region, IIRC, long before it was "discovered". No, not Hanzell in that big oaked Burgundian style, but really first class Sonoma Pinot Noir before almost anyone was thinking about Sonoma or Sebastiani beyond Zinfandel and quality generics.

Wow. I don't know what else to say other than 'thanks'. Again. Some of the old Sebastiani wines from the 70s are still in decent shape. Probably way past their prime ... but it is always fun to crack open an old bottle and try some history. 40 yrs ago, even mass-produced wines were more well suited to age ass they were harvested earlier. Winemaking practices preserved tannins, acidity, and minimized sugar and O2. All these tactics support more ageworthy wines...

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm
donnysebas wrote:Wow. I don't know what else to say other than 'thanks'. Again. Some of the old Sebastiani wines from the 70s are still in decent shape. Probably way past their prime ... but it is always fun to crack open an old bottle and try some history. 40 yrs ago, even mass-produced wines were more well suited to age ass they were harvested earlier. Winemaking practices preserved tannins, acidity, and minimized sugar and O2. All these tactics support more ageworthy wines...

I personally much prefer the style of the wines of the '60s and '70s as a rule with the 'big' reds: Cabernet, Zin and Pets. Pinot is generally better done now, as are almost all of the whites (except some of the wonderful rieslings that are no more), though sometimes a little Semillion blended into Sauvignon Blanc made white Bordeaux-like dry wine without the grassiness that often dominates (especially) Sonoma County SB. The less said about the unlamented 'Gamay Beaujolais' the better.

Still, 1970 was a very, very special year. For my palate, second only to the '41s of happy memory. I don't think I can recall a 1970 Cab or Zin that wasn't fine. Well stored, they're alive and (if a little faded) doing very well. A couple of years ago, Mike Martini opened 3 versions of his 1968 special selection for our Tour, and they were fine - and you'll no doubt recall well that '68 was lovely year, but lighter rigged than the '70s. In the past year or so, I've had bottles of 1970 Beaulieu Cab that were still wonderful, though not quite as good as they were a decade ago when they had a little more fruit.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 196 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

rpm wrote:I personally much prefer the style of the wines of the '60s and '70s as a rule with the 'big' reds: Cabernet, Zin and Pets. Pinot is generally better done now, as are almost all of the whites (except some of the wonderful rieslings that are no more), though sometimes a little Semillion blended into Sauvignon Blanc made white Bordeaux-like dry wine without the grassiness that often dominates (especially) Sonoma County SB. The less said about the unlamented 'Gamay Beaujolais' the better.

Still, 1970 was a very, very special year. For my palate, second only to the '41s of happy memory. I don't think I can recall a 1970 Cab or Zin that wasn't fine. Well stored, they're alive and (if a little faded) doing very well. A couple of years ago, Mike Martini opened 3 versions of his 1968 special selection for our Tour, and they were fine - and you'll no doubt recall well that '68 was lovely year, but lighter rigged than the '70s. In the past year or so, I've had bottles of 1970 Beaulieu Cab that were still wonderful, though not quite as good as they were a decade ago when they had a little more fruit.

Amazing stuff RPM. An honor to have you around.