Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1585 Private Messages Cesare

Pedroncelli Mixed Red 6-Pack
$73.99 $124.00 40% off List Price
2011 Pedroncelli Zinfandel, Mother Clone, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley
2011 Pedroncelli Three Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon, Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma County
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman

If I were buying daily drinkers (or anything) right now this would be a no brainer. Pedroncelli - Italian for QPR.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 6.

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April
4/26: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn

May
5/3: SoCal #33: Grenache/Grenache Blanc for Cinco de Mayo

Summer
August TBD: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread

Pending
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen

Good reviews on CT for the Mother Clone Zin. Has anyone tried the Three Vineyards Cab yet?

kdloeffler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kdloeffler
chipgreen wrote:Good reviews on CT for the Mother Clone Zin. Has anyone tried the Three Vineyards Cab yet?

Yes, the Three Vineyards Cab is very tasty. The Zin is also good, but you really need to decant it or really let it breath.

I noticed the prices went up on this. We took 3 cases in the last Woot on this (6 Cab, 6 Zins per case). The price was $99/case if memory serves.

Pedroncelli is one of our favorite wineries and it is a no-brainer buy. Just wish the price point remained the same as the last one.

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen
kdloeffler wrote:Yes, the Three Vineyards Cab is very tasty. The Zin is also good, but you really need to decant it or really let it breath.

I noticed the prices went up on this. We took 3 cases in the last Woot on this (6 Cab, 6 Zins per case). The price was $99/case if memory serves.

Pedroncelli is one of our favorite wineries and it is a no-brainer buy. Just wish the price point remained the same as the last one.

Thanks for the reply. I checked past sales and a mixed case of Ped-Reds was offered Feb. 7th for $120. It included 3 each of the 2 wines offered today as well as 3 each of Merlot and Sangiovese.

Looks like THIS is the case offer you went in on last April for $115, which included 6 each of the 2010 vintage of today's wines. So before tax and shipping, $9.58 per bottle then vs. $12.33 per bottle today. That is a pretty big jump compared to last year, although less than $10/bottle was a ridiculously low price.

entraine

quality posts: 2 Private Messages entraine

Still doesn't look like a bad deal.
The winery lists them for 17 Zin & 18 Cab per bottle. They offer a 10% discount for a case. So this is still a pretty nice price by my accounting.

Really, if they know their winery is well-respected among Wine Woot buyers, why not charge a little more and still offer a good discount?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Pedroncelli is Italian for this could be a fun thread.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
ThunderThighs wrote:Pedroncelli is Italian for this could be a fun thread.

especially when pEDroncelly drops in.

I've got 5-each of these from the Feb woot I doubled up on, in longer term storage; read a couple of years, and haven't even thought about opening one yet and it wouldn't have taken much to add a few more.
Oh, why not 6-each left? Donated to the awesome FedEx staff that receives all these.

So the "drinking window" question for Ed. I know I can drink 'em now, but when will they really be ready, and even more tasty?

CT

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

No one likes pro reviews so here y'all go:

The Cab from Wine Spectator:
Score: 86 Release Price: $17 Issue: Web Only - 2013
Fresh herb notes of sage and mint complement the toast, currant, berry and cassis flavors here, with good concentration and firming tannins on the finish. Drink now through 2022. 6,200 cases made. –MW

The Zin:
Wine Spectator:Score: 87
Release Price: $17 Issue: Web Only - 2013
Superripe, with cracked pepper and dried cherry aromas and modest if zesty licorice and herb flavors. Drink now through 2018. 8,500 cases made. –TF

Zin Wine Enthusiast:
by S.H.
87 points. This is a good wine for enjoying now with Mexican food or a barbecue. It’s dry and briary, with black pepper-accented cola, blackberry and, currant flavors.
— (11/1/2013) — 87

pwlceo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pwlceo

these wines are very average. The Zin is well below average

PedroncelliFamily

quality posts: 56 Private Messages PedroncelliFamily
klezman wrote:If I were buying daily drinkers (or anything) right now this would be a no brainer. Pedroncelli - Italian for QPR.

It's Italian for "Push the button!"

PedroncelliFamily

chipgreen wrote:Thanks for the reply. I checked past sales and a mixed case of Ped-Reds was offered Feb. 7th for $120. It included 3 each of the 2 wines offered today as well as 3 each of Merlot and Sangiovese.

Looks like THIS is the case offer you went in on last April for $115, which included 6 each of the 2010 vintage of today's wines. So before tax and shipping, $9.58 per bottle then vs. $12.33 per bottle today. That is a pretty big jump compared to last year, although less than $10/bottle was a ridiculously low price.

I defer to the last statement above. :-)

We did a package change between the 2010 and 2011 vintages--it is quite an arduous process to get through all of the old packages and into the new. Wooters were the beneficiaries of that change.
I won't even comment on getting Vineyard Designated, AVA specific, current vintage wines for $12.33/bottle.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
pwlceo wrote:these wines are very average. The Zin is well below average

Notes? Your impressions of the style?

I've always thought the Mother Clone a good value, been drinking it off and on for years. Zins can be all over the place stylistically,(I'm not a fan of big monster jammy oozing zins) but I usually find this pretty much in my wheelhouse for the price. Have not had the 2011.

jamesozzello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesozzello
entraine wrote:Still doesn't look like a bad deal.
The winery lists them for 17 Zin & 18 Cab per bottle. They offer a 10% discount for a case. So this is still a pretty nice price by my accounting.

Really, if they know their winery is well-respected among Wine Woot buyers, why not charge a little more and still offer a good discount?

First bought Ped at 100 dollars a case,then a few at 120. This is a pretty good jump , but I like their wines .
If you are in there club,or have previously bought their wine through woot and contacted Ed,you can get club pricing,which is a 25 percent discount on cases,and reduced shipping. A very nice deal,which this beats slightly in the shipping department.
I'll be buying,and hoping they will offer cases later at a better discount

daubenberger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daubenberger

Once again, like every day, not shipping to MN. Woot will claim that it is due to MN legislation, which is false. Then they will claim it is up to the individual winery, which is also false since Pedroncelli (like other wineries) has sold to MN multiple times previously. What a joke!

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Ahh the days of the $89 Pedroncelli mixed case deals appear to be long gone. Still have several of those cases aging away, they have both of these included.

Both of these are solid daily drinkers. I've opened a few mags of their 2008 Three Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon at some gatherings, and received very positive comments on it. Here's CT review I'd left after opening one at work:

Shared a 1.5L magnum with colleagues at work, and have to say it was quite tasty. Nice spice, good mix of red and dark fruit, well balanced, very good wine, especially given the excellent wine.woot price! Everyone loved it. Someone else opened a bottle of "Red Truck California Red Wine" and it was like drinking cherry cool aid after the Pedroncelli!

PedroncelliFamily

rjquillin wrote:especially when pEDroncelly drops in.

I've got 5-each of these from the Feb woot I doubled up on, in longer term storage; read a couple of years, and haven't even thought about opening one yet and it wouldn't have taken much to add a few more.
Oh, why not 6-each left? Donated to the awesome FedEx staff that receives all these.

So the "drinking window" question for Ed. I know I can drink 'em now, but when will they really be ready, and even more tasty?

Aha! THE question...
I always find that our wines start opening up at the end of the release. We just craft more tightly structured wines than most. It's a bit old school, but when I try the wines 2-3 years down the road I'm reminded why we do that.

Two things you should know: 1) I prefer younger wines-especially Zinfandel.
And 2)our wines have ridiculously long lives for the price point. (WineDavid--want to add anything about the 95(?) cab I gave you?)

My window on the Zin would be 2-4 years from now. A year from now it'll have come into it's own and open up quickly when poured.

The Cab, much longer. For a difficult vintage, this wine is one of the nicest I've seen come out of here in a while. Great varietal character, beautiful silkiness mid-palate, nice balance, good finish. Let's put the drinking window 3-10 years? I'm going out on a limb here folks...I really like them in the 5-8 year range, but note my comment above!

PedroncelliFamily

jamesozzello wrote:First bought Ped at 100 dollars a case,then a few at 120. This is a pretty good jump , but I like their wines .
If you are in there club,or have previously bought their wine through woot and contacted Ed,you can get club pricing,which is a 25 percent discount on cases,and reduced shipping. A very nice deal,which this beats slightly in the shipping department.
I'll be buying,and hoping they will offer cases later at a better discount

Guys...I'm offering this wine at wholesale...I have to look at my father-in-law across the table at lunch every day. Toss a dog a bone, will ya? :-)

PedroncelliFamily

daubenberger wrote:Once again, like every day, not shipping to MN. Woot will claim that it is due to MN legislation, which is false. Then they will claim it is up to the individual winery, which is also false since Pedroncelli (like other wineries) has sold to MN multiple times previously. What a joke!

It is someone's neo-prohibitionist reading of the law. As producer I can ship it to you. Give us a call at 800-836-3894 and we'll hook you up direct!!

PedroncelliFamily

bsevern wrote:Ahh the days of the $89 Pedroncelli mixed case deals appear to be long gone. Still have several of those cases aging away, they have both of these included.

Both of these are solid daily drinkers. I've opened a few mags of their 2008 Three Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon at some gatherings, and received very positive comments on it. Here's CT review I'd left after opening one at work:

Shared a 1.5L magnum with colleagues at work, and have to say it was quite tasty. Nice spice, good mix of red and dark fruit, well balanced, very good wine, especially given the excellent wine.woot price! Everyone loved it. Someone else opened a bottle of "Red Truck California Red Wine" and it was like drinking cherry cool aid after the Pedroncelli!

Baby needs new shoes.

daubenberger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daubenberger
PedroncelliFamily wrote:It is someone's neo-prohibitionist reading of the law. As producer I can ship it to you. Give us a call at 800-836-3894 and we'll hook you up direct!!

Excellent! I will absolutely call you. If you could let Woot know that you intend to ship to MN that would be great also.

PedroncelliFamily

daubenberger wrote:Excellent! I will absolutely call you. If you could let Woot know that you intend to ship to MN that would be great also.

They know--WineDavid and I have shed many a tear over this. It is what it is, but I've got you covered!

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
PedroncelliFamily wrote:They know--WineDavid and I have shed many a tear over this. It is what it is, but I've got you covered!

Ed, as always, you rock; still, sorry to see the $$ inflation, but you gotta stay in biz, if only we could get mother-ship to see the light.

How does this Zin differ from the Bushnell?
And when will the '11 PET get released?
Next vintage of Four Grapes...

CT

PedroncelliFamily

rjquillin wrote:Ed, as always, you rock; still, sorry to see the $$ inflation, but you gotta stay in biz, if only we could get mother-ship to see the light.

How does this Zin differ from the Bushnell?
And when will the '11 PET get released?
Next vintage of Four Grapes...

The MoClo is a tiny bit more fruit forward and carries a little bit more Petite Sirah in the blend. A little more drinkable at this point in my mind. Can you spell grilled lamb chops?

2011 PS crop was hit pretty bad by the rains-we didn't bottle a 2011. The 2012 is going to be released in May-It's tasty juice!

2008 Port is in release now. It'll be a while before the 2009 is out.

troman1056

quality posts: 2 Private Messages troman1056

Curse you WineDavid. People at work think I am an alcoholic. Too much good wine lately.

PedroncelliFamily

troman1056 wrote:Curse you WineDavid. People at work think I am an alcoholic. Too much good wine lately.

Isn't "too much good wine" an oxymoron?

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

Pedroncelli's always up high on the must-buy list!

Gotta be responsible and stick to the budget this month, otherwise I'd certainly be in for a case.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

PedroncelliFamily

sdilullo wrote:Pedroncelli's always up high on the must-buy list!

Gotta be responsible and stick to the budget this month, otherwise I'd certainly be in for a case.

Is passing up a deal like this being "responsible"? Hmmm, we might have to ask the community for some input here.......

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo
PedroncelliFamily wrote:Is passing up a deal like this being "responsible"? Hmmm, we might have to ask the community for some input here.......

Trust me, the right decision ain't always the fun one...

We love you guys. Rest assured, we'll buy more in the future and visit next time we fly over to the left coast!

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
pwlceo wrote:these wines are very average. The Zin is well below average

Odd comment from the CEO of Pedroncelli Wine Lovers.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

PedroncelliFamily

UBlink wrote:Odd comment from the CEO of Pedroncelli Wine Lovers.

*snicker

You know, I can't supply the entire world's wine needs so I'll stick to sending it out to the ones who like us. Can't win 'em all!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

Yummm... I still have a few bottles left from a previous offer...so I will have to pass now...

I do like it when those mixed cases show up with a bit of everything......not just the 2 yummy varieties... (hint hint )
can't wait for the new Four Grapes!

Thanks for making yummy wines!

ltraffis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltraffis
PedroncelliFamily wrote:Is passing up a deal like this being "responsible"? Hmmm, we might have to ask the community for some input here.......

I always jump in on Pedroncelli offers! Today, my first words when I saw this offer were... Ohhhhhhhh, another button pressing event!!

rpm

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rpm
PedroncelliFamily wrote:Aha! THE question...
I always find that our wines start opening up at the end of the release. We just craft more tightly structured wines than most. It's a bit old school, but when I try the wines 2-3 years down the road I'm reminded why we do that.

Two things you should know: 1) I prefer younger wines-especially Zinfandel.
And 2)our wines have ridiculously long lives for the price point. (WineDavid--want to add anything about the 95(?) cab I gave you?)

My window on the Zin would be 2-4 years from now. A year from now it'll have come into it's own and open up quickly when poured.

The Cab, much longer. For a difficult vintage, this wine is one of the nicest I've seen come out of here in a while. Great varietal character, beautiful silkiness mid-palate, nice balance, good finish. Let's put the drinking window 3-10 years? I'm going out on a limb here folks...I really like them in the 5-8 year range, but note my comment above!

No question that Pedroncelli is always excellent value for money, sound wines, and the Cabs are very ageworthy, especially for the price point.

Pedroncelli Cabs regularly hold up 15-20 years. I like old Cab, and don't open them until they are at least 10 - I'm counting down on my 2005s....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

PBurke5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PBurke5

LOL ...
We love the wine and always regret not buying more when it was 99.00 for a case. We are a once or twice a year buyer of your wine...wonderful stuff.
Feb 7th purchase was Pedroncelli Mixed Red Case (12)Sold on Wine.WootQuantity:1 @ $119.99
10.00 a bottle is our sweet spot to push the button. But I'm in for one here but would like to see a better value down the road.

Paul D Burke