WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Upstream Wines

Here's our elevator pitch: When salmon are prepared to spawn, they swim upstream. Likewise, drinking Upstream prepares you ... wait, we're not finished!

Cesare


quality posts: 1645 Private Messages Cesare

Upstream Wines

Upstream Wines Mixed Red 4-Pack
$54.99 $95.00 42% off List Price
2012 Upstream Cabernet Franc, Walker River, Lodi Appellation
2012 Upstream Malbec, Owens River, Lodi Appellation
2012 Upstream Zinfandel, Mokelumne River, Lodi Appellation
2012 Upstream Cabernet Sauvignon, Truckee River, Lodi Appellation

Upstream Wines Malbec 4-Pack
$54.99 $95.00 42% off List Price
2012 Upstream Malbec, Owens River, Lodi Appellation

Upstream Wines Cabernet Sauvignon 4-Pack
$54.99 $95.00 42% off List Price
2012 Upstream Cabernet Sauvignon, Truckee River, Lodi Appellation

Upstream Wines Zinfandel 4-Pack
$54.99 $95.00 42% off List Price
2012 Upstream Zinfandel, Mokelumne River, Lodi Appellation

Upstream Wines Cabernet Franc 4-Pack
$54.99 $95.00 42% off List Price
2012 Upstream Cabernet Franc, Walker River, Lodi Appellation

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

werupstream


quality posts: 6 Private Messages werupstream

Greetings you wooterific folks. I am back once again to answer, or not, all your questions on Upstream Wines.. go ahead give me a try.

jcassens5


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jcassens5

Dangit! I haven't had the opportunity to try the sample pack offered last round!! Anyone have any notes or tried any of these yet???

moondigger


quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
jcassens5 wrote:Dangit! I haven't had the opportunity to try the sample pack offered last round!! Anyone have any notes or tried any of these yet???


Stating the obvious... this being a Plus offer, it's up for a week. Maybe over the weekend you could try a couple from the sample pack and share notes... ?

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

This offer could get expensive for me, need feedback folks.

mattkillpack29


quality posts: 5 Private Messages mattkillpack29

I'm right there with you guys. What are the results of the first go of these? Are any better than the others or should a couple sample packs suffice?

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
mattkillpack29 wrote:I'm right there with you guys. What are the results of the first go of these? Are any better than the others or should a couple sample packs suffice?


Cab and Cab franc please


werupstream


quality posts: 6 Private Messages werupstream

Since it would be a bit self serving to give you my opinions, and I'm not above being self serving, I like this years Malbec better than the 2011 which took Best of Region and Best of Class in the California State Fair last year. The Zin was just picked as one of the top Zins of Lodi a month or so ago. The State Fair competion was for wines $25.00 and up by the way. Just sayin..

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

[quote postid="5747987" user="werupstream"]Since it would be a bit self serving to give you my opinions, and I'm not above being self serving, I like this years Malbec better than the 2011 which took Best of Region and Best of Class in the California State Fair last year. The Zin was just picked as one of the top Zins of Lodi a month or so ago. The State Fair competion was for wines $25.00 and up by the way. Just sayin..[/quote
.......and the Cab?

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Barefoot wine medals constantly. Personally, I out no faith in those results. YMMV. Nevertheless, I appreciate the winery's presence and participation!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

werupstream


quality posts: 6 Private Messages werupstream
kylemittskus wrote:Barefoot wine medals constantly. Personally, I out no faith in those results. YMMV. Nevertheless, I appreciate the winery's presence and participation!



Yes, sometimes the results are suspect. I do remember a few years ago 2 Buck Chuck winning everything. So I treat scores and ribbons the same as Listerine.." Hate 'em but use 'em twice a day if I get a good one." The Zin pick was by a strong panel. You can go to the LoCa website and they will actually give you the background on the judges..

rwinerr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwinerr

No opinion on the Cabernet Sauvignon?-there is a 4 pack up now
How's the 2012 vintage in Lodi?
Whats the composition- 100% Cab?

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
werupstream wrote:Yes, sometimes the results are suspect. I do remember a few years ago 2 Buck Chuck winning everything. So I treat scores and ribbons the same as Listerine.." Hate 'em but use 'em twice a day if I get a good one." The Zin pick was by a strong panel. You can go to the LoCa website and they will actually give you the background on the judges..



I applaud your candor on the subject. You do yourself great service by being straight here.

What are the tannins like in each of these wines?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

werupstream


quality posts: 6 Private Messages werupstream
cmaldoon wrote:I applaud your candor on the subject. You do yourself great service by being straight here.

What are the tannins like in each of these wines?


Tannins are a bit softer. I like to say these wines were made to drink not necessarily lay down. Think 10 minutes not 10 years.. Don't get me wrong there is still plenty of complexity..

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
werupstream wrote:Tannins are a bit softer. I like to say these wines were made to drink not necessarily lay down. Think 10 minutes not 10 years.. Don't get me wrong there is still plenty of complexity..



More honest answers. I like this guy.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

werupstream


quality posts: 6 Private Messages werupstream
rwinerr wrote:No opinion on the Cabernet Sauvignon?-there is a 4 pack up now
How's the 2012 vintage in Lodi?
Whats the composition- 100% Cab?



You're not supposed to pick your favorite but.... I wasn't involved when the cab was made but pretty sure it's at least 90% plus. If we were to add a little more oak you'd swear it was from Rutherford Bench. This Cab definitely has the most complexity of all the wines.. But I'm not picking a favorite..

werupstream


quality posts: 6 Private Messages werupstream
fredrinaldi wrote:[quote postid="5747987" user="werupstream"]Since it would be a bit self serving to give you my opinions, and I'm not above being self serving, I like this years Malbec better than the 2011 which took Best of Region and Best of Class in the California State Fair last year. The Zin was just picked as one of the top Zins of Lodi a month or so ago. The State Fair competion was for wines $25.00 and up by the way. Just sayin..[/quote
.......and the Cab?



sorry I didn't see this sooner. just responded about the cab..

NimbleWalrus


quality posts: 2 Private Messages NimbleWalrus

And now Uptown Girl is stuck in my head, but with -town replaced with -stream

cheesesteakwid


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheesesteakwid
werupstream wrote:Greetings you wooterific folks. I am back once again to answer, or not, all your questions on Upstream Wines.. go ahead give me a try.



hey, gou guys figured a way to ship to PA-which still has state run liquor stores.

rockoverlondon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockoverlondon

I picked up the sampler during the woot off in Feb or Mar and last night had the opportunity to crack the Cabernet Franc.

Pop and Pour:

Nose - Dark fruit, very slight heat.
Taste - Jammy, almost zin-like, dark fruit. Very subtle oak, acid is where it should be, fairly abrupt finish. Light tannins.

After 45 minutes:

Nose - A little more aromatic, maintains dark fruit, a little floral. It has opened up and the very slight alcohol has dissipated.
Taste - Remains fruit forward, still jammy. Has a sweetness to it, guessing there is some residual sugar, not overwhelming but noticeable. Acidity lingers mid-palate on finish.

Overall I was surprised by the "jammyness," it's not something I usually associate with franc but I'm by no means an expert. That being said I do prefer a franc with more vegetal tones and more prominent oak. Toothstejnn fits my preference closer than this but at ~$15 delivered this is solid. It would probably benefit from being served with food, I think it would nicely compliment a roast pork dish.

If my schedule permits I'll open the cab sauv later this week. I'll post notes if they'll be of use to anyone.

Bronach322


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bronach322
rockoverlondon wrote:I picked up the sampler during the woot off in Feb or Mar and last night had the opportunity to crack the Cabernet Franc.

Pop and Pour:

Nose - Dark fruit, very slight heat.
Taste - Jammy, almost zin-like, dark fruit. Very subtle oak, acid is where it should be, fairly abrupt finish. Light tannins.

After 45 minutes:

Nose - A little more aromatic, maintains dark fruit, a little floral. It has opened up and the very slight alcohol has dissipated.
Taste - Remains fruit forward, still jammy. Has a sweetness to it, guessing there is some residual sugar, not overwhelming but noticeable. Acidity lingers mid-palate on finish.

Overall I was surprised by the "jammyness," it's not something I usually associate with franc but I'm by no means an expert. That being said I do prefer a franc with more vegetal tones and more prominent oak. Toothstejnn fits my preference closer than this but at ~$15 delivered this is solid. It would probably benefit from being served with food, I think it would nicely compliment a roast pork dish.

If my schedule permits I'll open the cab sauv later this week. I'll post notes if they'll be of use to anyone.



I would appreciate any notes you may have. Thanks

jamesozzello


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesozzello
Bronach322 wrote:I would appreciate any notes you may have. Thanks



Can't wait for more notes,though they are always much appreciated.. Think I'll have to try a mix to go with the Ped offered today and give them a try. They all sound good to me and can't know em til I try em.

losthighwayz


quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
Bronach322 wrote:I would appreciate any notes you may have. Thanks



+1 thanks

"The older I get the better I was"

jcassens5


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jcassens5
rockoverlondon wrote:I picked up the sampler during the woot off in Feb or Mar and last night had the opportunity to crack the Cabernet Franc.

Pop and Pour:

Nose - Dark fruit, very slight heat.
Taste - Jammy, almost zin-like, dark fruit. Very subtle oak, acid is where it should be, fairly abrupt finish. Light tannins.

After 45 minutes:

Nose - A little more aromatic, maintains dark fruit, a little floral. It has opened up and the very slight alcohol has dissipated.
Taste - Remains fruit forward, still jammy. Has a sweetness to it, guessing there is some residual sugar, not overwhelming but noticeable. Acidity lingers mid-palate on finish.

Overall I was surprised by the "jammyness," it's not something I usually associate with franc but I'm by no means an expert. That being said I do prefer a franc with more vegetal tones and more prominent oak. Toothstejnn fits my preference closer than this but at ~$15 delivered this is solid. It would probably benefit from being served with food, I think it would nicely compliment a roast pork dish.

If my schedule permits I'll open the cab sauv later this week. I'll post notes if they'll be of use to anyone.



Thanks for the notes!!

jcassens5


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jcassens5
moondigger wrote:Stating the obvious... this being a Plus offer, it's up for a week. Maybe over the weekend you could try a couple from the sample pack and share notes... ?



Yeah, the too obvious, unfortunately. In California on vacation. Not sure if I'll be able to test them out before it's over!

rockoverlondon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockoverlondon

My wife helped herself to the cab sauv Monday night while I was away so I don't have any pop and pour notes but I can comment on the glass I had last night.

Nose - tart cherry, hints of blackberry, a very small touch of oak.

Taste - plum, blueberry and once again tart cherry. I couldn't taste any oak but I know it's in there. Those who aren't fans of oak have nothing to worry about. This was a little tart, mild tannins and nice acidity. Keep in mind the bottle was open for 24 hours so it could have been a completely different beast the day before. I didn't realize this has more residual sugar than the franc but it was less noticeable for some reason.



My general thought is this is a good value at $15 shipped and I'm considering picking up more. I'm not an expert but I don't think cellaring this is necessary or will provide any huge benefit. This is a good midweek with a burrito wine. Would this go well with a porterhouse?--everything goes well with a porterhouse.

werupstream


quality posts: 6 Private Messages werupstream
rockoverlondon wrote:My wife helped herself to the cab sauv Monday night while I was away so I don't have any pop and pour notes but I can comment on the glass I had last night.

Nose - tart cherry, hints of blackberry, a very small touch of oak.

Taste - plum, blueberry and once again tart cherry. I couldn't taste any oak but I know it's in there. Those who aren't fans of oak have nothing to worry about. This was a little tart, mild tannins and nice acidity. Keep in mind the bottle was open for 24 hours so it could have been a completely different beast the day before. I didn't realize this has more residual sugar than the franc but it was less noticeable for some reason.



My general thought is this is a good value at $15 shipped and I'm considering picking up more. I'm not an expert but I don't think cellaring this is necessary or will provide any huge benefit. This is a good midweek with a burrito wine. Would this go well with a porterhouse?--everything goes well with a porterhouse.


I pretty much agree with your whole tasting perspective.. and really, what doesn't go with a porterhouse..

Cyradia


quality posts: 30 Private Messages Cyradia

Originally had no intention of picking this up...I'm overstocked. Winery participation and fellow woot comments convinced me. Looking forward to trying my sampler.

werupstream


quality posts: 6 Private Messages werupstream
Cyradia wrote:Originally had no intention of picking this up...I'm overstocked. Winery participation and fellow woot comments convinced me. Looking forward to trying my sampler.



Thanks!

Cyradia


quality posts: 30 Private Messages Cyradia

****RESIDUAL SUGAR ALERT****

Wanted to leave a note in case these are offered again. I missed rockoverlondon's comment about sweetness (my fault!) until after these arrived and I was reminding myself about when/how to drink them.

Then I went to the specs page, thinking how did I miss this problem? I'm pretty pissed off about the deceptive way the RS was shown. The normal way to show RS is of course g/L.

However, these are shown as grams per 100mL...

Residual Sugar: 0.85 g/100mL

.85 g/L wouldn't be a problem. 8.5 g/L is absolutely a problem for people that like dry wine.

Popped the Zin tonight. As bad as I would have imagined an 8.5 g/L to taste. Cloying. Worse than your average 2-buck-chuck flavor. As much as I hate waste, this is destined for the drain. S.O. took one sip and walked off, refusing to help drink it.

cortot20


quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
Cyradia wrote:****RESIDUAL SUGAR ALERT****

Wanted to leave a note in case these are offered again. I missed rockoverlondon's comment about sweetness (my fault!) until after these arrived and I was reminding myself about when/how to drink them.

Then I went to the specs page, thinking how did I miss this problem? I'm pretty pissed off about the deceptive way the RS was shown. The normal way to show RS is of course g/L.

However, these are shown as grams per 100mL...

Residual Sugar: 0.85 g/100mL

.85 g/L wouldn't be a problem. 8.5 g/L is absolutely a problem for people that like dry wine.

Popped the Zin tonight. As bad as I would have imagined an 8.5 g/L to taste. Cloying. Worse than your average 2-buck-chuck flavor. As much as I hate waste, this is destined for the drain. S.O. took one sip and walked off, refusing to help drink it.



This is bad. Thanks for the heads up.

CT