Ty Caton enTycement 3-Pack
$54.99 $97.00 43% off List Price
2012 Ty Caton enTycement , Red Wine, Sonoma County
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

nmachen

quality posts: 35 Private Messages nmachen

A new Ty wine on Woot that I can't get AND it's snowing again. Living in Minnesota is kind of difficult today...

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

What is the reason/impetus/inspiration for this blend? At the price point it is certainly not a top end blend (Wellington Victory). Is it a bottom end blend? (Wellington Duke).

Additionally, what is the oak treatment on this? Barrels/Staves/chips? %new?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

dalematthew

quality posts: 24 Private Messages dalematthew

Woot launch!!

sombraala

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sombraala

Ok, Woot. You have like 22 hours to fix whatever problem there is with Missouri.

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160
nmachen wrote:A new Ty wine on Woot I can't get AND it's snowing again. Living in Minnesota is kind of difficult today...

My thoughts exactly :-( It was forecasted that we're supposed to get 8-10" here in the Twin Cities metro.

As far as this offer goes, the blend sounds enticing (pun intended) and now I'm left wondering if Ty would match this offer direct from the winery for those of us that can't order from Woot.

johnfflynn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnfflynn

Georgia allows direct ship. What's the issue? And what changed? Had 20+ wine.woot shipments delivered here and suddenly his year no more?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

johnfflynn wrote:Georgia allows direct ship. What's the issue? And what changed? Had 20+ wine.woot shipments delivered here and suddenly his year no more?

This link might help you out (from OCT 2013): http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5591348

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

I have yet to try a Ty Caton wine. I do have some baby Cabs that will be in storage for a number of years before they are considered for consumption, but am eager to try his wine sooner to see if it lives up to all the hullabaloo. So I'm hoping this enTycement might be ready for drinking sooner, which might enTyce me to pull the trigger. What is the recommended drinking window for this blend?

IBcrashen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IBcrashen
coolchris160 wrote:My thoughts exactly :-( It was forecasted that we're supposed to get 8-10" here in the Twin Cities metro.

As far as this offer goes, the blend sounds enticing (pun intended) and now I'm left wondering if Ty would match this offer direct from the winery for those of us that can't order from Woot.

+1

PRH

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PRH

+2

vmaddogv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vmaddogv

I guess Ty can no longer ship to TN? That sucks, I was going to pick this one up.

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

How is this different than the Ty's Red?

Is this supposed to be "Baby Tytanium"?

Is it broke or just fractured?

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219

I don't think this is baby TyTanium. First of all, it is a 2012 so it hasn't had a ton of aging. If you read the description, it talks about approachability and fruit-forward ness. So I'm guessing this is on the fruit bomb scale even for Ty.

Sounds like a drink nearer term crowd pleaser wine. I'm guessing if you like TyTanium that this is not your bag, but who knows. I think it is brilliant from a marketing standpoint...probably will sell a ton in the tasting room to the casual tasting crowd because it is much more approachable near term.

Interestingly, it is 15 pct petite sirah and 7 pct petit verdot. I would not have expected that. 14.8 pct alcohol seems about right. Heavier on the zin...I'm thinking this has a flavor profile like the Wellington Meeks Hilltop Ranch (which is Peter's nod to the tasting room crowd!).

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

This looks to me like it's taking the place of the raccus red, which I felt was a good value at the woot price of $15 shipped. This is closer to $22 a bottle shipped which makes it an easy pass.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:What is the reason/impetus/inspiration for this blend? At the price point it is certainly not a top end blend (Wellington Victory). Is it a bottom end blend? (Wellington Duke).

Just a wag, but it seems more in the
'you can drink this now, middle',
perhaps Ty's version of a fruit bomb even.
Hope he drops in to let us know.

$28 each + tax and $17.45 to ship three on his site make this $108 vs. a $65 woot.
I do miss those spreadsheets we used to get.

CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cortot20 wrote:This looks to me like it's taking the place of the raccus red, which I felt was a good value at the woot price of $15 shipped. This is closer to $22 a bottle shipped which makes it an easy pass.

Agreed on all points. Call it something different, slap on a fancier label, increase price by 50%.

If I'm going to spend $20 on a bottle of Ty wine, I'm going to get a cab or something better which have been commonly offered on other sites for better prices then the lesser wines that have been offered here recently.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

TyCaton

quality posts: 48 Private Messages TyCaton
nmachen wrote:A new Ty wine on Woot that I can't get AND it's snowing again. Living in Minnesota is kind of difficult today...

Why can't you get it? We ship there....

/tycaton/

TyCaton

cmaldoon wrote:What is the reason/impetus/inspiration for this blend? At the price point it is certainly not a top end blend (Wellington Victory). Is it a bottom end blend? (Wellington Duke).

40% new French oak, 60% neutral barrels, 16 months aged

/tycaton/

TyCaton

pseudogourmet98 wrote:I have yet to try a Ty Caton wine. I do have some baby Cabs that will be in storage for a number of years before they are considered for consumption, but am eager to try his wine sooner to see if it lives up to all the hullabaloo. So I'm hoping this enTycement might be ready for drinking sooner, which might enTyce me to pull the trigger. What is the recommended drinking window for this blend?

This new wine is ready to drink now. Give it a shot, it's smooth and velvety and goes down easy!

/tycaton/

TyCaton

aces219 wrote:I don't think this is baby TyTanium. First of all, it is a 2012 so it hasn't had a ton of aging. If you read the description, it talks about approachability and fruit-forward ness. So I'm guessing this is on the fruit bomb scale even for Ty.

Sounds like a drink nearer term crowd pleaser wine. I'm guessing if you like TyTanium that this is not your bag, but who knows. I think it is brilliant from a marketing standpoint...probably will sell a ton in the tasting room to the casual tasting crowd because it is much more approachable near term.

Interestingly, it is 15 pct petite sirah and 7 pct petit verdot. I would not have expected that. 14.8 pct alcohol seems about right. Heavier on the zin...I'm thinking this has a flavor profile like the Wellington Meeks Hilltop Ranch (which is Peter's nod to the tasting room crowd!).

I would not describe this wine as a fruit bomb. To me, a fruit bomb describes, for example, those zinfandels out there that exude alcohols of 16%+ and overwhelm you with fruit. After a glass or two, you are bombed. A fruit bomb (to me) also insinuates a lack of balance. EnTycement has none of these qualities.

/tycaton/

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
TyCaton wrote:Why can't you get it? We ship there....

Woot is currently not shipping to a number of states (regardless of licenses) due to Amazon's interpretation of various direct shipment laws.

Many other wineries have offered to provide the same deal direct from the winery to those who are in states where Woot cannot currently ship, but the winery does have a license. I'm sure such an offer would be much appreciated to those people, if possible on your end.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

TyCaton

cortot20 wrote:This looks to me like it's taking the place of the raccus red, which I felt was a good value at the woot price of $15 shipped. This is closer to $22 a bottle shipped which makes it an easy pass.

It's a much higher quality wine than the Racchus Red

/tycaton/

johnfflynn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnfflynn
ROGETRAY wrote:This link might help you out (from OCT 2013): http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5591348

Thanks for the feedback. Had a feeling the Amazon mothership had a hand in this. Working hard to wreck a great site. Typical corporate homogenization. Had 20+ purchases before Woot was acquired - only one since.

donberryman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donberryman

WHy won't woot ship to MN? I get wine shipped all the time

rjquillin

donberryman wrote:WHy won't woot ship to MN? I get wine shipped all the time

From Woot?
In the last year?
Did you even bother to read the posted link?
Seems not.
FAIL

CT

xibbumbero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero

That darn Ty is a silver tongue devil. In for two.

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
TyCaton wrote:It's a much higher quality wine than the Racchus Red

Please elaborate.
In what way?

Fruit source, quality of fruit, weather, cooperage. Extra Ty sweat.

CT

parnelli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parnelli

So Ty ... c'mon man ... can you offer those of us in MN and other effected states the same deal from the winery? Or ... since we'll be visiting in May, can you put 3 aside until we get there?

Parnelli

TyCaton

cortot20 wrote:Please elaborate.
In what way?

Fruit source, quality of fruit, weather, cooperage. Extra Ty sweat.

LOL, yes, completely different fruit source (much higher quality), oak program and barrel time program. Completely different animal.

/tycaton/

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
TyCaton wrote:LOL, yes, completely different fruit source (much higher quality), oak program and barrel time program. Completely different animal.

Thanks for offering the enTycement as a Woot launch, I look forward to trying it!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 211 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

don't get me started..

yep, limited state list. i bet TY will do you right if you work with him directly.

InHoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages InHoc

Sales tax. Ugh.

It's been a while since I've made a purchase here, but Amazon recently started taxing shipments to NC and has done the same here, I see.

exlaxer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages exlaxer
sombraala wrote:Ok, Woot. You have like 22 hours to fix whatever problem there is with Missouri.

Where do they start, and where would they end? ;)

I hope you can sleep at night knowing that you just made me buy 3.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
TyCaton wrote:LOL, yes, completely different fruit source (much higher quality), oak program and barrel time program. Completely different animal.

Ty, Your wine has never let me down. When I get home, I'm going to order. Ty's wine is an instant buy for me and a new wine to boot! I just hate FedEx lately...giving me heartburn on their tracking info!!! Long story, wrong forum! Hope this doesn't sell out until I get to push the button.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

could you please elaborate more on the differences?

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
mommadeb1 wrote:could you please elaborate more on the differences?

+1. What was the thought when making this wine? How is it similar/different from other Ty Caton wines we know?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

TyCaton

mommadeb1 wrote:could you please elaborate more on the differences?

Racchus Red is a California Appellation. enTycement is a Sonoma County appellation and 1/2 the fruit comes from my vineyard.

/tycaton/

rjquillin

TyCaton wrote:Racchus Red is a California Appellation. enTycement is a Sonoma County appellation and 1/2 the fruit comes from my vineyard.

It seems you may have missed your calling; politics.

CT