Canihan Family Cellars Sonoma Syrah 3-Pack
$79.99 $164.00 51% off List Price
2010 Exuberance Syrah, Sonoma Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I can't speak for the 2010, but the 2009 was a concentrated, balanced, somewhat tannic (in a way I loved), superb Syrah.

On that note... Can the winemaker please speak to the differences between the 2009 and 2010?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

Another superb Woot syrah find.

Took some of this out of my cellar last week. I will post detailed notes when I get to work but overall this wine was fruit forward without being jammy or heavy and surprisingly tannic.

An excellent wine which I highly recommend.

I can give more detail in a few...

Is it broke or just fractured?

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia

Man, random wine gods (or monkeys) REALLY favored me this time...

Quick Summary: Buy it now. Don't drink it now. If you must drink it, decant the heck out of it. Tons of dark fruit, coffee, chocolate flavors in a nicely structured wine that's waiting to grow into itself....

Full Notes...

Appearance – Looks like a syrah. Deep purple/violet and nearly opaque when held up to the light.

Aroma
Me – Cherry and plum are dominant. Something else back there...maybe some hazelnut and some leather.

SO – Initially red fruit...bright ones like a tart raspberry or something. There's some dark fruit at the end of the whiff and maybe some chocolate.

P-n-P First Taste
Me: The wine seems very tight, like all the flavors are confused and log jamming on themselves in the front/mid palette. I get chocolate, very tart fruit (like biting into an unripe strawberry or blackberry), coffee. It has a long aftertaste that's not unpleasant, but the initial level of tart/bitter is distracting.

SO: I think this is a very fruit forward wine (same bright/tart fruits that I smelled), and I don't usually like fruit forward wines (she favors the sparse reds the Europeans tend to make) ...but I like this. It seems balanced with other complex flavors.

Decanted
What I actually did was pour a large glass through the venturi twice and left it on the counter for 3 hours.

Me: Now all the flavors are starting to get along better and it is a much smoother wine. However, now there's a ton going on. I still get what I can best refer to as unripe berries (not as unpleasant as it sounds, but definitely tart), coffee/hazelenut hints, and some grassy vegetal notes sneaking in. Tannins are still nice – interesting and complex structure with a good aftertaste.

SO: To me this is more disjointed and the flavors are fighting. (Author's Commentary: I suspect she liked the first taste bc it was so tight it almost had its fruits packed away and was closer to the sparse reds she favors.)

Various Foods
I really enjoyed this wine with food. The two star pairings were what I would have guessed...(1) bleu cheese and (2) slow smoked ribs. SO agreed and commented on it several times during the meal that it was nice with the food and opening up better and better.

Last Sip
I left the last glass's worth in the bottle for 3 days on the counter and came back to it last night. It was even better...less tart/bitter and really starting to show its potential.

Final Thoughts – I do not indulge in a lot of black tie buys, but I intend to pick up a trio of this for the same reason I buy Victory nearly every time it is offered. I really want to meet this wine again in 5 years.

Am hoping the winery participates, and if they do...my first question is what do they think the drinking window on this is?

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

As promised more detailed notes(albeit not quite as elegant as Cyradia)

Happened to try this wine the other night after pulling it out of the cellar.

2010 Exuberance Syrah by Canihan Family Wines.

Upon opening a deep, dark, typical Syrah color.

Bouquet was initially somewhat muted but within minutes blossomed into something really superb. Deep dark fruit with just enough oak to complement the fruit.

Clearly a well crafted wine.

On the palate this wine is mouth filling and viscous but not overly fruity. Finish is quite tannic.

It easily handled a meal of grilled sirloin, asparagus and quinoa.

Over the next few hours the mid-palate fleshed out nicely.

Overall, a really excellent wine.

Initially somewhat tannic finish did soften with a few hours but suggests the wine could benefit from some age.

I'm in.

Is it broke or just fractured?

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

I do love Syrah, the price point is a little high though for me. I could be talked into a bottle in a SoCal split.

CT

mstern20878

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mstern20878

2 good to pass up. In!

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:I can't speak for the 2010, but the 2009 was a concentrated, balanced, somewhat tannic (in a way I loved), superb Syrah.

On that note... Can the winemaker please speak to the differences between the 2009 and 2010?

...and I'll add to this request could Bill expand on "Aged 14 months in 88% French Oak & 12% Hungarian Oak" with what percentage was new wood.

In the voice mail you also comment this is from a hotter AvA and tends to be higher in alcohol, yet this is listed at a quite low 13.5%. Misprint, or did you de-alcohol or otherwise make some adjustments to bring this into your desired balance?

Very nice website too. Really appreciate the inclusion of notes not only for the current vintage but for past years as well, for most of your wines anyway, a few were missing.

CT

bcanihan

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bcanihan

Hi Wine Wooters,

Bill Canihan from Canihan Family Winery here, and I'm glad to be back having our brand new release, 2010 Exuberance Syrah featured today on Wine.woot.
The 2010 vintage is a more elegant Syrah (and co-fermented with 4% Estate Viognier) which displays aromas of blueberries, blackberries and violets, rather than the more meaty, gamey, bacon notes characteristic of warmer-climate Syrah.
Please feel free to ask any questions, as I welcome the dialogue.
Bill Canihan

bcanihan

cmaldoon wrote:I can't speak for the 2010, but the 2009 was a concentrated, balanced, somewhat tannic (in a way I loved), superb Syrah.

The 2009 vintage was slightly more tannic than the 2010, primarily due to Spring time frost that hit the earliest buds, so cluster-size was smaller, and somewhat less mature(greener seeds) at harvest which resulted in higher tannins for the 2009. For those who purchase the 2009last Fall, it's showing beautifully now if decanted or allowed to breathe for an hour.

The 2010 vintage is more elegant with softer tannins, and displaying more red & blue fruit, and not requiring decanting to improve (but letting it breathe for an hour will benefit).
The 2010 vintage stared early with no frost issues, and concluded a bit quickly with a heat-spell.
Thanks,
Bill Canihan

bcanihan

Hi Cyradia,
Thank you for your detailed feedback and for re-visiting this wine after 3 days on the counter.
I think the peak time window for the 2010 Syrah is 2015-2018.
Our wines tend to age longer and slower than typical Syrahs and Pinots. The fruit tends to begin to fade at 6-7 years post-vintage. We age our Syrah for 16-22 months in 60-gallon French Oak barrels (with a few neutral Hungarian barrels, representing less than 12% of the total), and we bottle-age for an additional 12-17 months prior to release, to allow the fruit to integrate.
Thanks again for your comprehensive feedback.
Bill Canihan

Cyradia wrote:Man, random wine gods (or monkeys) REALLY favored me this time...

Quick Summary: Buy it now. Don't drink it now. If you must drink it, decant the heck out of it. Tons of dark fruit, coffee, chocolate flavors in a nicely structured wine that's waiting to grow into itself....

Full Notes...

Appearance – Looks like a syrah. Deep purple/violet and nearly opaque when held up to the light.

Aroma
Me – Cherry and plum are dominant. Something else back there...maybe some hazelnut and some leather.

SO – Initially red fruit...bright ones like a tart raspberry or something. There's some dark fruit at the end of the whiff and maybe some chocolate.

P-n-P First Taste
Me: The wine seems very tight, like all the flavors are confused and log jamming on themselves in the front/mid palette. I get chocolate, very tart fruit (like biting into an unripe strawberry or blackberry), coffee. It has a long aftertaste that's not unpleasant, but the initial level of tart/bitter is distracting.

SO: I think this is a very fruit forward wine (same bright/tart fruits that I smelled), and I don't usually like fruit forward wines (she favors the sparse reds the Europeans tend to make) ...but I like this. It seems balanced with other complex flavors.

Decanted
What I actually did was pour a large glass through the venturi twice and left it on the counter for 3 hours.

Me: Now all the flavors are starting to get along better and it is a much smoother wine. However, now there's a ton going on. I still get what I can best refer to as unripe berries (not as unpleasant as it sounds, but definitely tart), coffee/hazelenut hints, and some grassy vegetal notes sneaking in. Tannins are still nice – interesting and complex structure with a good aftertaste.

SO: To me this is more disjointed and the flavors are fighting. (Author's Commentary: I suspect she liked the first taste bc it was so tight it almost had its fruits packed away and was closer to the sparse reds she favors.)

Various Foods
I really enjoyed this wine with food. The two star pairings were what I would have guessed...(1) bleu cheese and (2) slow smoked ribs. SO agreed and commented on it several times during the meal that it was nice with the food and opening up better and better.

Last Sip
I left the last glass's worth in the bottle for 3 days on the counter and came back to it last night. It was even better...less tart/bitter and really starting to show its potential.

Final Thoughts – I do not indulge in a lot of black tie buys, but I intend to pick up a trio of this for the same reason I buy Victory nearly every time it is offered. I really want to meet this wine again in 5 years.

Am hoping the winery participates, and if they do...my first question is what do they think the drinking window on this is?

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

Bill: Were there any reason(s) for the relatively low case production (250 cases)of the Exuberance Syrah in 2010 compared to other years....Seems that the 2005 vintage (230 cases) was the only one where case production of the Exuberance Syrah was less than the 2010 production while case production in each of the other vintages was higher.

bcanihan

rjquillin wrote:...and I'll add to this request could Bill expand on "Aged 14 months in 88% French Oak & 12% Hungarian Oak" with what percentage was new wood.

In the voice mail you also comment this is from a hotter AvA and tends to be higher in alcohol, yet this is listed at a quite low 13.5%. Misprint, or did you de-alcohol or otherwise make some adjustments to bring this into your desired balance?

Very nice website too. Really appreciate the inclusion of notes not only for the current vintage but for past years as well, for most of your wines anyway, a few were missing.

Hi rjquillan, Bill Canihan back here. Yes, the cooperage mix was 88% French, 12% Hungarian Oak (a few neutral barrels). Twenty percent of the French barrels were new, including Saury, Francois Freres, Remond & Cadus.
The Hungarian barrels were 2-3 year-old barrels.
In the voicemail, I meant to say that our AVA, bordering Carneros, and a mile from Sonoma Coast is a very cool-climate (hence the lower alcohol), and shows red & blue fruits and more elegance than those Syrahs from warmer climates that tend to exhibit meaty, gamey, bacon aromas. We don't de-alc or tweak the wines, we just try to harvest on the best day or two, hand-sort, and leave them alone (except for SO2 additions) for the next 14-22 months.
Our wines show the weather of each vintage, with variation vintage-to-vintage.

bcanihan

bcanihan wrote:Hi rjquillan, Bill Canihan back here. Yes, the cooperage mix was 88% French, 12% Hungarian Oak (a few neutral barrels). Twenty percent of the French barrels were new, including Saury, Francois Freres, Remond & Cadus.
The Hungarian barrels were 2-3 year-old barrels.
In the voicemail, I meant to say that our AVA, bordering Carneros, and a mile from Sonoma Coast is a very cool-climate (hence the lower alcohol), and shows red & blue fruits and more elegance than those Syrahs from warmer climates that tend to exhibit meaty, gamey, bacon aromas. We don't de-alc or tweak the wines, we just try to harvest on the best day or two, hand-sort, and leave them alone (except for SO2 additions) for the next 14-22 months.
Our wines show the weather of each vintage, with variation vintage-to-vintage.

And with regard to the website, we recently moved the rare & sold-out wines over to the "Library Wines" page, and the Tech info should be found there for the 2005-2008 vintages of Syrah (2005-2010 Pinot), with the 2009 & 2010 Syrah (and 2011 Pinot) on the "Estate Wines" page. Glad you liked the new website.
Bill Canihan

bcanihan

bobrush12866 wrote:Bill: Were there any reason(s) for the relatively low case production (250 cases)of the Exuberance Syrah in 2010 compared to other years....Seems that the 2005 vintage (230 cases) was the only one where case production of the Exuberance Syrah was less than the 2010 production while case production in each of the other vintages was higher.

Hi Bob,
Good question, the lower production of the 2010 Syrah was mainly due to dehydration during the week prior to harvest, due to a heat wave. I'd estimate we lost 35% of the crop due to this dehydration. Dry-farming is one of top two priorities, but it can bite us in situations like this.
Thanks,
Bill Canihan

bcanihan

rjquillin wrote:...and I'll add to this request could Bill expand on "Aged 14 months in 88% French Oak & 12% Hungarian Oak" with what percentage was new wood.

And I forgot to mention that the 13.5% ABV is not a misprint, and if we'd waited for higher Brix, we would have sacrificed yield, and aging longevity. Also, in my opinion, new Hungarian oak barrels tend to add a note of molasses, caramel, or generally a bit of sweetness that's not as evident in French oak. We used only one Hungarian oak barrel in the 2010, and it was the third vintage we'd used it.
Thanks,
Bill Canihan

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Thanks for joining us today Bill.

A fan of Canihan's Syrah and Pinot am I...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:I do love Syrah, the price point is a little high though for me. I could be talked into a bottle in a SoCal split.

Still want one?

CT

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared

Just the kind of offer I like. Thank you! In for one.

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:Still want one?

I'll take 1.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I'm not buying (2 more months, yes I can) but I'd like to tell WD and Bill that I really appreciate this offer. Also, Bill, I (and I'm sure, we) greatly appreciate your participation. Come back in 2 months and 1 day and I'm in.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:I'll take 1.

done

CT

rjquillin

Bill,

Thanks for joining in the fray here.

CT