Pavi Napa Valley Dolcetto 5-Pack
$69.99 $125.00 44% off List Price
2007 Pavi Napa Valley Dolcetto
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin

We've seen the 2005 of this, and it was good. Curious to hear how this '07 compares.

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

Check out our tasting note through Cesare's ct link.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of March 30.
Final Four is now set! How 'bout those brackets???
Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

March
TBD: Houston Area Kick-start

April
4/1: SoCal #32.5: Hawaiian Gardens (Note that this is on April Fools Day)
4/26: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn

May
5/3: SoCal #33: Grenache/Grenache Blanc for Cinco de Mayo

Summer
August TBD: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread

Pending
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
trifecta wrote:Check out our tasting note through Cesare's ct link.

[start whiny tone]But that means clicking on the link ..... can't you just post it here. [end whiny tone]

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
trifecta wrote:Check out our tasting note through Cesare's ct link.

I would say IFTFY, but it is not for you, it is for the whiners.

Cut and pasted from CT:

3/29/2014 - TRIFECTA WROTE:
Opened and poured a small glass to shoulder the bottle. Remaining set aside for slow ox over 4 hours. First pour: Nose has bright cherry, a hint of oak with some sweetness to it. Typically sensitive to oak, but this was restrained and well integrated on the nose adding an interesting element. Palate is flipping between red cherry and something darker, perhaps plum. Between light and medium body. Short finish, light to medium acid, not much tannin.

After 4 hour slow ox, decanted half the bottle for another hour. Paired well with homemade pasta and meatballs. Wine was light and vibrant and enhanced the tomato based sauce. On the finish there is a hint of some bitterness that leans toward sour blackberry. Not overpowering but not altogether pleasant either. The bitterness leans a bit green as well, perhaps stem tannin? Not sure if this was whole cluster. As time goes on the sour note is subsiding, but still there. Will see how this goes on day 2.

In general this is a solid table wine that goes well with food.

trifecta

MarkDaSpark wrote:[start whiny tone]But that means clicking on the link ..... can't you just post it here. [end whiny tone]

yeah... sorry about that. wasn't in front of a computer

trifecta

pseudogourmet98 wrote:CT:

Opened and poured a small glass to shoulder the bottle. Remaining set aside for slow ox over 4 hours. First pour: Nose has bright cherry, a hint of oak with some sweetness to it. Typically sensitive to oak, but this was restrained and well integrated on the nose adding an interesting element. Palate is flipping between red cherry and something darker, perhaps plum. Between light and medium body. Short finish, light to medium acid, not much tannin.

After 4 hour slow ox, decanted half the bottle for another hour. Paired well with homemade pasta and meatballs. Wine was light and vibrant and enhanced the tomato based sauce. On the finish there is a hint of some bitterness that leans toward sour blackberry. Not overpowering but not altogether pleasant either. The bitterness leans a bit green as well, perhaps stem tannin? Not sure if this was whole cluster. As time goes on the sour note is subsiding, but still there. Will see how this goes on day 2.

We each were able to have a half glass on day 2. The finish improved and smoothed out considerably.
From what I have read on dolcetto, not much personal experience, it is typically an early maturing and drink young wine. I was having a hard time determining if this needed more time in the bottle or is a little past peak. Seems like the fruit would have been better a couple years ago, but the finish improved with time.

At $16 delivered this is a solid value, probably even more so if you are into Italian varietals.

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
pseudogourmet98 wrote:I would say IFTFY, but it is not for you, it is for the whiners.

Cut and pasted from CT:

That's pretty consistent with my notes on the '05 from a year ago, sans psychedlic dream sequence prequel, right down to the (slightly) bitter end!

Description says "whole berry processed". Unfamiliar with the term, I did some research and found the following on enologyaccess.org;

Whole Berry Fermentation:
As the name implies, in whole berry fermentation there are a certain percentage of whole berries and even clusters present during the initial stages of fermentation. The clusters are generally mixed with must and the must allowed to ferment. After a period of fermentation deemed optimal by the winemaker, the whole berry ferment is pressed which crushes the whole berries releasing additional berry components. The juice is then left to complete fermentation. This allows a slower rate of fermentation and better retention of berry characters in the wine.
---------
So it would seem that it is basically a whole cluster method which imparts more berry character into the juice but with the apparent trade-off of also introducing some stem tannin.

jultox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jultox

freethegrapes shows Virginia as a 'direct ship' state... why cant i get this? i just got a shipment from Franciscan???

guzmantis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages guzmantis
jultox wrote:freethegrapes shows Virginia as a 'direct ship' state... why cant i get this?

Virginia no longer allowing wine.woot sales

Any way to have this shipped to a friend/relative in DC/MD?

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
guzmantis wrote:Virginia no longer allowing wine.woot sales

Any way to have this shipped to a friend/relative in DC/MD?

Yes, just change the shipping address on your account to theirs, then place your order. Then make sure to change it back or your next woot order will also be sent to them.

guzmantis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages guzmantis
chipgreen wrote:Yes, just change the shipping address on your account to theirs, then place your order. Then make sure to change it back or your next woot order will also be sent to them.

Oh, trust me I know all about it I was trying to ask jultox if he knew anybody that could help him out and hold something for him.