La Bellanotte Italian Merlot 4-Pack
$69.99 $115.00 39% off List Price
2011 La Bellanotte Merlot Venezia Giulia IGT
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

2011 La Bellanotte Merlot Venezia Giulia

Flying monkeys dive-bombed my house the other day and I found a bottle of this Italian Merlot among the debris.

Deep crimson, almost purple in the glass. Thin, slow-running legs. Nose of cherry, oak, baking spices and alcohol.

Medium bodied, juicy, with sour cherry, cedar, loam, allspice and a slight vegetal component that I can't put my finger on but it reminds me of dandelion stems.

Medium plus acid. Grippy, drying tannins (almost chalky but not quite) on the medium finish. This has the potential to be a really nice wine but it's a little disjointed at this point.

It's still a baby and could use a couple more years in the bottle to fully develop. Would probably show better in the near-term with food but we couldn't take it to the Lenten fish fry with us!

chipgreen

Still sipping on this and decided to heat up some leftover lobster bisque. It wasn't a great pairing but the wine didn't detract from the food.

The wine is evolving in the glass though, as it continues to open up revealing more red fruits, added juiciness and the tannins have slightly relaxed their firm grip. It's definitely improving but sadly there will be none left for day 2 notes!

chipgreen

Cesare wrote:La Bellanotte Italian Merlot 4-Pack
$69.99 $115.00 39% off List Price
2011 La Bellanotte Merlot Venezia Giulia IGT
CT link above

Winery website

Gary Vaynerchuck gives a video review of an earlier vintage of this wine for those who might be interested. Just click on the CT link provided by Cesare, then choose the earlier vintage (2007, there's only one). G'nite!

EDIT: Scratch that, the video review has been deleted but you can still read his tasting notes.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

For some reason you get to taste all the international wines. So I therefore dub you international chipgreen.

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson

On his trip back from the east, the monkey stopped at my house as well. As I have a deep interest in Italian wines, I was appreciative that he included me in his deliveries.

For this merlot, I prepared an Australian roast leg of lamb with a side of aglio-oglio pasta. I know some Italian wines pair well with gamey meats and this roast fit the bill. And what is an Italian wine without pasta?...

PnP and found the wine to be clear and cranberry colored. The initial aroma produced cherry, something vegetal and cedar. The initial tasting profile reveals a little cherry, possibly a little black olive and a finish of a little pomegranate. I always look for an acid finish (on swallowing) and this had none. So, pretty smooth but not a silky wine or one that coats the tongue. Also, quite dry.

As far as food pairing goes, this was a very nice match. Just as some chianti's, barbera's, etc. are table wine for Italian fare, this one would also fall into the table wine category, but for a merlot. Without knowing the price, I was guessing $13 - $15 (woot price).

SWMBO and I came back to this wine an hour later and did not find that it had changed any. This wine seems like one that should be drunk young. I don't think it will develop much more in the bottle. That being said, we found this to be an enjoyable wine that paired well with the meal. Seeing the price, I think it is fairly priced.

Cesare

quality posts: 1594 Private Messages Cesare
chipgreen wrote:Gary Vaynerchuck gives a video review of an earlier vintage of this wine for those who might be interested. Just click on the CT link provided by Cesare, then choose the earlier vintage (2007, there's only one). G'nite!

EDIT: Scratch that, the video review has been deleted but you can still read his tasting notes.

The video can found here.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
Cesare wrote:The video can found here.

Most always entertaining, this did not disappoint.

CT

chipgreen

jmdavidson wrote:On his trip back from the east, the monkey stopped at my house as well. As I have a deep interest in Italian wines, I was appreciative that he included me in his deliveries.

For this merlot, I prepared an Australian roast leg of lamb with a side of aglio-oglio pasta. I know some Italian wines pair well with gamey meats and this roast fit the bill. And what is an Italian wine without pasta?...

PnP and found the wine to be clear and cranberry colored. The initial aroma produced cherry, something vegetal and cedar. The initial tasting profile reveals a little cherry, possibly a little black olive and a finish of a little pomegranate. I always look for an acid finish (on swallowing) and this had none. So, pretty smooth but not a silky wine or one that coats the tongue. Also, quite dry.

As far as food pairing goes, this was a very nice match. Just as some chianti's, barbera's, etc. are table wine for Italian fare, this one would also fall into the table wine category, but for a merlot. Without knowing the price, I was guessing $13 - $15 (woot price).

SWMBO and I came back to this wine an hour later and did not find that it had changed any. This wine seems like one that should be drunk young. I don't think it will develop much more in the bottle. That being said, we found this to be an enjoyable wine that paired well with the meal. Seeing the price, I think it is fairly priced.

Interesting, our TNs are similar but we split on its ageability.

chipgreen

cortot20 wrote:For some reason you get to taste all the international wines. So I therefore dub you international chipgreen.

It does seem that way doesn't it? I may have let on awhile back that I was into Argentinian wines and it kinda snowballed from there, haha.

chipgreen

Cesare wrote:The video can found here.

Very nice, thanks!

Spoiler alert: La Bellanotte wins the blind tasting

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared

double grrr... and risking a broken record but "no thanks" - Would certainly buy one or even two - but not four. I think there must be some minimum purchase promise to the producers of late. Feeling meh.

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson
bskuared wrote:double grrr... and risking a broken record but "no thanks" - Would certainly buy one or even two - but not four. I think there must be some minimum purchase promise to the producers of late. Feeling meh.

I see from one of your posts that you are in the San Clemente area. Perhaps you could reach out to other wooters in your area and see if they would like to split an offer. We do that on occasion in the Chicago area and I've seen a number of other Cali people doing it. Just put it out there and indicate that anyone interested should send you a PM. Buona fortuna!!

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
jmdavidson wrote:I see from one of your posts that you are in the San Clemente area. Perhaps you could reach out to other wooters in your area and see if they would like to split an offer. We do that on occasion in the Chicago area and I've seen a number of other Cali people doing it. Just put it out there and indicate that anyone interested should send you a PM. Buona fortuna!!

There are plenty of us in SoCal area; SD to north LA.

CT

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared

Yeah.... while I appreciate the idea of sharing and spitting an offer - it just makes the experience a bit more complicated than I'm willing to do....unless it's an exceptional wine. In that case I'd probably opt for the straight out purchase. Appreciate the feedback and y'all putting up with my bellyaching.

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com