noslensj

quality posts: 47 Private Messages noslensj

I'm a bit unsure on what to put on the table with our ahi tonight. Not a pairing I've done before.

I'm inclined toward a crisp dry white; I've got some albariño on hand and I'm leaning that way.

But then, the Wellington zin that I picked up at the tasting room yesterday might be a good choice.

Very open to suggestions.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
noslensj wrote:I'm a bit unsure on what to put on the table with our ahi tonight. Not a pairing I've done before.

I'm inclined toward a crisp dry white; I've got some albariño on hand and I'm leaning that way.

But then, the Wellington zin that I picked up at the tasting room yesterday might be a good choice.

We have paired with Pinot Noir successfully in the past. A medium bodied pinot that has some spicy notes to it goes particularly well.

A decent complexity Sauvignon Blanc could work as well, as long as it isn't too grassy.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
noslensj wrote:I'm a bit unsure on what to put on the table with our ahi tonight. Not a pairing I've done before.

Went with Albarino myself last week with seared Ahi and it was very nice pairing. I have not tried pinot, but had that recommended to me in the past. I have also used an unoaked Chard and Sauvignon Blanc as two others that worked well.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20

A rose of pinot noir might go well with it........................that's all I got.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

I must admit, I like a cab with seared tuna. It is a steak-like cut of fish, and it holds up well to the cab. We also make it with a teriyaki sauce, which helps.

And, since I'm admitting things tonight, I also like cab with sushi. sigh...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

losthighwayz

quality posts: 63 Private Messages losthighwayz

Pinot noir. No doubt. Just had this ex act pairing three nights ago...

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

quality posts: 63 Private Messages losthighwayz
otolith wrote:I must admit, I like a cab with seared tuna. It is a steak-like cut of fish, and it holds up well to the cab. We also make it with a teriyaki sauce, which helps.

U r weird

"The older I get the better I was"

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
losthighwayz wrote:U r weird

Yep...I like to say, "unique."

To me, pinot noir and salmon are a perfect match. Will try it with tuna next time we have it.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
otolith wrote:I must admit, I like a cab with seared tuna. It is a steak-like cut of fish, and it holds up well to the cab. We also make it with a teriyaki sauce, which helps.

Got an email yesterday for a local wine tasting dinner here. They are pairing Petite Sirah with a pepper seared ahi tuna topped with key lime butter.

I can assure I would never have even considered such a pairing, but I actually considered making a reservation just to try it.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

fredrinaldi approves this message.

noslensj

quality posts: 47 Private Messages noslensj

Well, I ended up searing the ahi with a soy-ginger vinaigrette. I had a hard time mentally matching up the ginger with pinot or zin, so I went with the albariño. I thought it was a good pairing.

I, however, like my ahi with searing hot wasabi-soy, which really would be much better with a strong ale or sake. Absent the wasabi, the albariño was an excellent choice.

I can't imagine a wine I've ever had that would have stoop up to the wasabi as I like it.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

I know I'm very late to the party, and Albarino is a good call. Having said that, I'm with this guy:

My favorite wine pairing with sushi (tuna and salmon, mainly) is champagne, but more often than not we open up a medium bodied cab. The Pedronocelli cab has performed this duty well. The fatty nature of salmon in particular is very complementary to a big red wine.