swdc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages swdc

Hi wine.wooters! I'm generally a silent observer on the site, but I get a lot of my wine here based on the community's always excellent recommendations.

I've yet to do much exploring of local wineries in the NoVA/DC/MD area, and I'm looking to change that. I'm planning to go wine tasting with friends in a few weeks, and was hoping folks here could provide some suggestions for places with good wine and a pleasant tasting room experience. Preference would be for locations within an hour or so of DC.

Thanks in advance!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

NoVA Wineries

I've heard the better (snicker) wineries are more in the Central VA Monticello AVA. Which is farther away from the DC area.

I seem to remember someone giving me (or exchanging) a bottle from Jefferson Winery (from there).

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen

We visited 14 wineries in VA last October, although all but one of them were in the Monticello AVA referenced by MdS, above.

FWIW, the wineries we most enjoyed (in approximate order) were;
Early Mountain, Trump, Barren Ridge, Flying Fox, Afton Mountain, Veritas, Jefferson and Pollak.

dcaldrone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcaldrone

My favorite winery is Bluemont. It has great scenery and good wine. Tarara is also good. Sunset Hills has great atmosphere...don't remember the wine...visited this one last after hitting 7 others in the area. willow croft is decent as well. There's so many to choose from...have fun!

Ps...Did NOT like twin oaks...

swdc wrote:Hi wine.wooters! I'm generally a silent observer on the site, but I get a lot of my wine here based on the community's always excellent recommendations.

I've yet to do much exploring of local wineries in the NoVA/DC/MD area, and I'm looking to change that. I'm planning to go wine tasting with friends in a few weeks, and was hoping folks here could provide some suggestions for places with good wine and a pleasant tasting room experience. Preference would be for locations within an hour or so of DC.

Thanks in advance!

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

My sister-in-law travels from Pittsburgh to Maryland (DC area) frequently and never misses a stop at Three Foxes.