WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Himalayan Chef Salt & Pepper Grinders (2)

Speed to First Woot:
10m 41.887s
First Sucker:
bl_smith
Last Wooter to Woot:
frog85
Last Purchase:
7 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 45% of Wine Woots
Top 26% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 22% of Wine Woots
Top 14% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 4% first woot
  • 3% second woot
  • 20% < 10 woots
  • 20% < 25 woots
  • 52% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 3% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 12% one year old
  • 84% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 94% bought 1
  • 5% bought 2
  • 2% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

5%
3%
2%
1%
0%
3%
2%
10%
12%
9%
8%
8%
5%
3%
3%
3%
3%
4%
2%
4%
1%
2%
3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1642 Private Messages Cesare

Himalayan Chef Salt & Pepper Grinders
$24.99 $39.99 38% off List Price

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

hairylegs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hairylegs

Are these grinders refillable/reusable?

bobichka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobichka

And can anyone comment on the quality of the grinders? I've had two pairs break/stop grinding consistently in the past couple of years (I cook a lot but I'm not abusive toward my cookware or anything).

shahnm

quality posts: 27 Private Messages shahnm

Is the grinding mechanism steel or ceramic or other?

Also, +1 on the refillable question...

Does anyone have these? Woot folk, can you look at them and see?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 167 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

hairylegs wrote:Are these grinders refillable/reusable?

shahnm wrote:Is the grinding mechanism steel or ceramic or other?

Also, +1 on the refillable question...

Does anyone have these? Woot folk, can you look at them and see?

Seem like important questions.

I'll ping Wine Staff and see if I can't find some answers.

Thanks for the inquires all!

P.S
On the "refillable" question: most salt/pepper shakers are refillable; it's not common to sell un-reusable shakers.
I'll still ping/verify.

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione

I have to correct the record again. This statement is just nonsense:

"Typical table salt is dried at 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit; the excessive heat alters the natural chemical structure of the salt."

The chemical structure of NaCl (which is white when pure, NOT pink) is not altered by heating to 1,200 degrees F, which is still more than 200 degrees under the the melting point.

These salesguys just make stuff up to sell their contaminated salt. I'm not saying that two grinders for this price isn't good, but the pink salt they contain isn't worth paying extra for. And certainly not for the fallacious reasons given.

redcore

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redcore
bobichka wrote:And can anyone comment on the quality of the grinders? I've had two pairs break/stop grinding consistently in the past couple of years (I cook a lot but I'm not abusive toward my cookware or anything).

Same here. Automatic one always seem underpowered. I had ordered a Wolfgang Puck one on Tanga and it seized trying to grind just ONE grain of salt/pepper. The other pair I have always sounds like they're laboring to work at all.

I'm just going to stick with manual ones, I think.

chefbooyadee

quality posts: 38 Private Messages chefbooyadee
Bione wrote:I have to correct the record again. This statement is just nonsense:

"Typical table salt is dried at 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit; the excessive heat alters the natural chemical structure of the salt."

The chemical structure of NaCl (which is white when pure, NOT pink) is not altered by heating to 1,200 degrees F, which is still more than 200 degrees under the the melting point.

These salesguys just make stuff up to sell their contaminated salt. I'm not saying that two grinders for this price isn't good, but the pink salt they contain isn't worth paying extra for. And certainly not for the fallacious reasons given.

I agree with this; it's fine if you want Himalayan salt, but it's ridiculous to use fear/uncertainty/doubt statements to try and push it. HOW DARE THEY COMMERCIALLY CLEAN SALT to make pure table salt! Its chemical composition is drastically altered so that it doesn't have things that aren't pure salt in it! Those monsters.

acidcasualty

quality posts: 2 Private Messages acidcasualty
Bione wrote:

Thank you for that. I worked in the press for 15 years and debunked a TON of sales lit B.S. I was about to attack this one, but you beat me to it.

Someday, on my deathbed, I'm sure I'll mutter something like, "I wish I'd spent more time on Woot waiting for Bags of Crap."

acidcasualty

quality posts: 2 Private Messages acidcasualty

Actually, I'm curious. Can someone find out what, exactly, is in that pink "salt" and what makes it that color? At least, the PR flack's version? Google is full of different tales of what makes it that sickly color.

I was about to buy, but I need to locate a source of real salt suitable for a grinder. I live in a rural area and we don't have anything but powder in stores near me.

That pink, er, stuff, would be bound for my house's front step (once it ices up again).

Someday, on my deathbed, I'm sure I'll mutter something like, "I wish I'd spent more time on Woot waiting for Bags of Crap."

deedunn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deedunn

There is absolutely no information about the grinders themselves. How is one supposed to be able to make an informed purchase based on a bunch of fluff about pink salt and pepper? Poor form Woot.

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

If you're more interested in the salt than this specific grinder, Costco sells pink Himalayan salt under their Kirkland Signature label in a no-frills grinder for less than five bucks.

And yeah, the marketing language for this stuff in particular has always gotten me. In the same paragraph I'll see it described as the "purest salt on earth" and yet states its flavor and color is derived from a variety of minerals occurring naturally--two claims that seem to contradict each other.

aoertel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aoertel

My son was on a Himalyan salt kick a few months ago, so I decided to do my own research on what made the salt pink. I'm a geologist by trade so I figured this was right up my alley. The salt is pink because of trace amounts of iron. That's the way it's mined from the ground. Yes, mined. And it's not "Himalayan". It is actually mined from an area of northern Pakistan about 600 miles from the Himalayas. The salt comes from non-renewable deposits and is mined by low income workers who toil all day in low wages jobs so you can have pretty "pure salt" that is imbued with magical qualities just because it's pink. Contrast this with regular plain old table salt produced in the western hemisphere by solar evaporation. Go to the southern Carribean islands to places like Bon Aire and you will see huge piles of sea salt waiting to be loaded on barges waiting to be shipped to your table. Not from a non renewable mine third world sweat shop. Not that I'm judging you. Just my opinion.

horsetrainer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages horsetrainer
ROGETRAY wrote:
P.S
On the "refillable" question: most salt/pepper shakers are refillable; it's not common to sell un-reusable shakers.
I'll still ping/verify.

There are more and more salt, pepper and other herb/spices for sell now in cheap, non-refillable grinders. Just another marketing tool. I have a sugar and cinnamon grinder purchased because the grandkids would enjoy it, and my husband. : )

RaisinROM

quality posts: 10 Private Messages RaisinROM
deedunn wrote:There is absolutely no information about the grinders themselves. How is one supposed to be able to make an informed purchase based on a bunch of fluff about pink salt and pepper? Poor form Woot.

I TOTALLY agree ! Woot, you have an entire description of freaking salt and pepper and not a word about the grinders. It's really ridiculous.

Can you PLEASE give us some details about the grinders ? Ceramic or stainless, country of origin, battery operated or manual . . . something ?

Dazzle DVD, Tornado USB, No Crank Hose Reel, SCREAMING Monkey, Woot Off Lights, Solar Panel, Ion USB Turntable, Power Squid, Sansa, Slacker, Ed Hardy RC Plane, EzyFlare, iPod, hammer, tv, A N D . . . my FIRST Bag of Coal !!!!!!!!!!! After that: Little Giant ladder, large button remotes for dad, Dremel Multi-Max tool, Vornado Fan, Emerson Timer, Oliso Iron, EZY Flares, LED Safety Triangle, Dyson DC21, Screaming Monkeys, Mini CamCorder

Rhudeboye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rhudeboye
hairylegs wrote:Are these grinders refillable/reusable?

I can look at them and tell you yes. They are.

enktwiss

quality posts: 1 Private Messages enktwiss
deedunn wrote:There is absolutely no information about the grinders themselves. How is one supposed to be able to make an informed purchase based on a bunch of fluff about pink salt and pepper? Poor form Woot.

+1 on this.

Are these manual or power grinders?

What are the grinder plates made of?

Is there a way to adjust the coarseness of the grind?

Is the body of the grinder acrylic or glass?

And of course - are they refillable?

I can assume some of these answers, but we don't get free returns for wrong assumptions.

tennmama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tennmama
aoertel wrote:My son was on a Himalyan salt kick a few months ago, so I decided to do my own research on what made the salt pink. I'm a geologist by trade so I figured this was right up my alley. The salt is pink because of trace amounts of iron. That's the way it's mined from the ground. Yes, mined. And it's not "Himalayan". It is actually mined from an area of northern Pakistan about 600 miles from the Himalayas. The salt comes from non-renewable deposits and is mined by low income workers who toil all day in low wages jobs so you can have pretty "pure salt" that is imbued with magical qualities just because it's pink. Contrast this with regular plain old table salt produced in the western hemisphere by solar evaporation. Go to the southern Carribean islands to places like Bon Aire and you will see huge piles of sea salt waiting to be loaded on barges waiting to be shipped to your table. Not from a non renewable mine third world sweat shop. Not that I'm judging you. Just my opinion.

Thank you. Your post was very informative.

cjkasian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjkasian

I'm really liking all this foodie/chemistry nerd talk about salt. Usually I'm the only one who catches that kind of stuff...

Can't speak so highly of the Woot descriptions for these products, though... I'll be waiting to buy until the questions get answered.

Darkfin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Darkfin

jgardne9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgardne9

It would be nice to know if they are stainless or plastic. I bought stainless looking grinders and when I got them home they were plastic. They melted on my stove...

barney490

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barney490
acidcasualty wrote:Actually, I'm curious. Can someone find out what, exactly, is in that pink "salt" and what makes it that color? At least, the PR flack's version? Google is full of different tales of what makes it that sickly color.

I was about to buy, but I need to locate a source of real salt suitable for a grinder. I live in a rural area and we don't have anything but powder in stores near me.

That pink, er, stuff, would be bound for my house's front step (once it ices up again).

I believe the pink salt probably has some trace elements( might be iron oxide). The regular table salt is pure salt that has those elements removed and they usually put iodine in there for some health reason I don't recall which. You could always
regular white sea salt, or coarse kosher salt. You can find a lot of different varieties on Amazon

Usually the colors are a result of the trace elements from where they were mined or the added something to it like smoke flavor.

Some claim the trace elements are important, In my opinion though its just a marketing claim.

I have used some of the smoked sea salt it does have a unique flavor. as far as the pink salt I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between that and a good coarse table salt

blaculadave

quality posts: 18 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

enktwiss wrote:+1 on this.

What are the grinder plates made of?

I can assume some of these answers, but we don't get free returns for wrong assumptions.

While we can't answer all questions with absolute certainty (WD and/or Designed 4 Life would need to weigh in), we can answer a few based on the samples:

Manual

Unfortunately, no

Acrylic

Absolutely

laperegrine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laperegrine

I had a One More Goal it figures woot gets salt and pepper grinders just as i ordered mine a few days ago. Then I looked at the specs and what not and was relieved.

I just got the Khun Ricon grinders at (gasp!) qvc... Because they have the pair at the same price (slightly cheaper in price slightly more in shipping which ends up with a dollar cheaper than this woot).

Lets see those were glass canisters, adjustable grinds, ceramic mechanism. Woot offering is lacking. No salt or pepper but i have my source for those (btw for the person who was looking for spices penzeys.com has amazing spices-- cheap sea salt of good quality, and the oregano is by far the most amazing thing ever!)

I mean woot do you have a foodie person on your staff? Because I have no idea how anyone would spend that much money given the lack of adjustable grind.

sorry woot but this is five thumbs down for me...

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

blaculadave wrote:While we can't answer all questions with absolute certainty (WD and/or Designed 4 Life would need to weigh in), we can answer a few based on the samples:

Manual

Unfortunately, no

Acrylic

Absolutely

Hello, working on getting more answers. I should have something here shortly.

jwu420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwu420

pink salt has trace minerals not available in iodized salt. it tastes the same as sea salt to me, but better than table salt. personally, i grind my own pink salt in a spice grinder and stick the grinded salt into a small lock & lock container. but i would like to know more info about the grinders themselves, as opposed to the $6 value in s&p.

here's a link for more info about its nutritional benefits: http://products.mercola.com/himalayan-salt/

Dadoboy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Dadoboy
Winedavid39 wrote:Hello, working on getting more answers. I should have something here shortly.

Heh... 4 hours later and still nothing...

patrickgryan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages patrickgryan
tennmama wrote:Thank you. Your post was very informative.

PLENTY of third world working conditions to be found in the Bon Aire.

Actually you were being very judgmental...prolly while wearing some Nike apparel.

Not to be judgmental though...

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
kevlar51 wrote:If you're more interested in the salt than this specific grinder, Costco sells pink Himalayan salt under their Kirkland Signature label in a no-frills grinder for less than five bucks.

And yeah, the marketing language for this stuff in particular has always gotten me. In the same paragraph I'll see it described as the "purest salt on earth" and yet states its flavor and color is derived from a variety of minerals occurring naturally--two claims that seem to contradict each other.

I bought from Costco and love it, I also have 3 8x8 blocks for cooking, do my Saturday ribeyes on it at times, love the flavor.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Dadoboy wrote:Heh... 4 hours later and still nothing...

sorry, phone tag with the company. Confirmed the top is acrylic, bottom is stainless steal.

anecdotally, they feel good and solid when you hold them. sturdy.

We stand by the offer as being very good QPR.

triciamobbs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages triciamobbs

Under the photo of the product is a tab titled "SPECS". Click on that and it has specific information about the grinders. They are refillable and acrylic.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
triciamobbs wrote:Under the photo of the product is a tab titled "SPECS". Click on that and it has specific information about the grinders. They are refillable and acrylic.

As I mentioned earlier and was kindly deleted (get over yourself mods), it says it there NOW because it was updated after it was confirmed.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick

I have yet to see an acrylic grinder that didn't break in a few months. On that note, I have yet to be "impressed" by a salt and/or pepper that came in a grinder.

It also may be an issue that I inherently mis-trust companies that use a number to replace a word, in their name. Blame boy bands

cateye34

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cateye34

I ordered this on March 13 and it is still processing, which is abnormal for woot. Is anyone else having problems with ordering this product? I haven't received a tracking number, but I was still charged the price.

Thanks!

Update (3/20/14): Package just shipped. Thank you!