WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Summerland Bien Nacido/Solomon Hills PN (3)

Speed to First Woot:
1h 17m 28.336s
First Sucker:
bjonze
Last Wooter to Woot:
osusan
Last Purchase:
4 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 21% of Wine Woots
Bottom 47% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 14% of Wine Woots
Bottom 38% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 0% first woot
  • 0% second woot
  • 21% < 10 woots
  • 28% < 25 woots
  • 50% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 0% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 0% one year old
  • 100% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 93% bought 1
  • 7% bought 2
  • 0% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

0%
14%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
7%
7%
7%
7%
0%
0%
14%
0%
0%
7%
0%
7%
14%
7%
7%
0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1561 Private Messages Cesare

Summerland Bien Nacido/Solomon Hills Pinot Trio
$89.99 $163.00 45% off List Price
2009 Solomon Hills Pinot Noir, Santa Maria Valley
2010 Solomon Hills Pinot Noir, Santa Maria Valley
2010 Bien Nacido Vineyards Pinot Noir, Santa Maria Valley
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen

I've heard good things about Bien Nacido fruit. Anybody get a visit from the flying monkey?

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

I know the SoCal wooters tried the bien nacido at the meetup this last weekend but I wasn't there so I have nothing positive to say here. But I am curious so spill the beans guys!

CT

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

cortot is correct...we had a chance to taste these wines this weekend at SoCal #(whatever it was). We actually had one person bring a Bien Nacido and another bring a 2009 Solomon Hills! Also, we tasted blind(ish). It's "ish" for me because I saw the top of the bottle and I'm familiar with the Summerland logo, which is stamped on both the capsule and cork. Basically, I knew it was Summerland, but nothing beyond that. So. Here we go.

2010 Summerlan Bien Nacido Pinot Noir

Bright red, clear, with medium colour depth. Aromas were cherry, raspberry, a bit of earth, and an occasional whiff of alcohol. As time went on this got more earthy. Clearly Pinot Noir between the colour and nose.

We were using the deLong's sheets graciously provided by Ron, so I marked down the palate as dry, light/medium body, lively acidity (the middle one), low tannins, and moderate flavour intensity. My notes also indicate that I found it somewhat chalky, with a zippy minerality/acidity, and primarily cherry flavours. I also fund it to be fairly rounded and somewhat simple, plus a hint of oak on the finish, in a way that added complexity rather than detracting from the wine. While this is clearly not Old World fruit, I found this wine to be somewhat "Old World" in intent.

2009 Summerland Solomon Hills Vineyard Pinot Noir

Bright, red, and clear with medium colour depth. Slightly more blueish than the Bien Nacido. This was also a little figger in the nose - dark cherry, ripe plum, smoke, and some occasional sniffs that included a certain perception of sweetness. Maybe cola or cherry cough syrup?

Light/medium body, really bright tart acidity, a bit of hard tannin, and a moderate to "flavourful" intensity on the deLong's scale. I found this to be much darker in character. My impression was that it was also fairly tight and with a bit of harsh tannin that hadn't yet resolved itself. Also a hint of greenness, although I think that refers to the tannin rather than the flavour profile.

The comparison

We drank these blinded, side by side. I think the Bien Nacido is much nicer for drinking right now. There's no need to wait on it, as far as I'm concerned. It's delicious, not too complex, and will go well with food. The 09 Solomon Hills seemed younger than it's cousin, but nonetheless has the sort of structure and power to need another year or two before it's in a harmonious place. For my preferences, if the earth and "Pinot" character do emerge in the Solomon Hills bottling then it will be significantly more interesting and nicer in a few years than the Bien Nacido. Since I didn't get any earthiness, though, I'm not sure whether it will go that direction over time.

As for QPR...$30/bottle + tax/ship puts it around $35/bottle delivered for me. That doesn't make it a super compelling bargain buy, but it is a fair price for well made wine with more of an old world intent than your average California Pinot Noir. If this came in under $25/bottle delivered I'd have to break the siwbm that's in place until I clear out the 7 cases I have nowhere to store.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

sphervey

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sphervey

One review from Wine Enthusiast (SH):

Summerland 2009 Solomon Hills Pinot Noir

This Pinot is rich and dense in rustic cherry and red currant flavors. It also feels quite warm in alcohol, which makes it almost taste like Grenache. Drink it over the next six years.
— (4/1/2013) — 88

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

Magically, a bottle of the 2010 Summerland Solomon Hills Vineyard Pinot Noir appeared out of nowhere for SWMBO's and my perusal.

The wine was clear with medium color and medium body -- very typical for Pinot Noir. The nose was very nice - vinous and immediately identifiable as Pinot Noir, brightish berries and cherry, but with hints of smoke.

The entry was nice - good flavors consistent with the nose, well-knit, good acidity and well structured. A little closed, but we didn't have a chance to let it breath as long as I'd have liked, since I had to leave for a meeting.

The finish was of moderate length, with some tannin - enough I think - but not an overabundance.

SWMBO liked it very much, as did I. A food wine for sure. It really lent itself to being enjoyed as a whole more than to analysis (unusual reaction for me), so perhaps it was not as complex as the best Pinots. Not an old vineyard, I'd guess, but one developing nicely.

I think the wine drinks nicely now, and will probably improve for a year or two. I'm less sure about long term prospects.

We drank more later in the evening after my meeting and again the next night. The characteristics of the wine remained very consistent as it opened slightly.

This is a very nice bottle of wine which I would be happy to drink or to serve. My only question would be the QPR - at a net $101.02 for 3 bottles, that's about $33.50 a bottle.

If your purse is comfortable with the price and you like Pinot Noir, this is definitely worth trying.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

tenoreprimo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tenoreprimo

I recall the Summerland Rhone Trio was a good wine although not as pricey as this offering

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Tried these with klez. I was sick, though, so my impressions are worthless. I can tell you the two bottles we tried were very different, as klez described. Sorry I can't help more.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:Tried these with klez. I was sick, though, so my impressions are worthless. I can tell you the two bottles we tried were very different, as klez described. Sorry I can't help more.

Hey, at least you're reporting in. I'm still looking for tytiger, time2testit, and Ron's opinions

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

BiloSummerland

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BiloSummerland

Greetings from breezy Summerland!

This is Bilo Zarif, owner and vintner of Summerland Winery. I have been involved in the wine industry in the Central Coast of California for the last 22 years, planting and running three different wineries; one of which was Laetitia winery in Arroyo Grande. I sold my interest in all the previous properties and founded Summerland, a small, boutique winery in 2002. Our focus has always been Pinot Noir (my favorite varietal) from three appellations: Santa Maria Valley, Santa Rita Hills and Edna Valley.

Summerland Winery's motto is 'great quality for a great price', blending new world to old world without sparing a dime on production. I believe our wines tend to be more Burgundian in style v/s the big, high-alcohol and super-extracted/in your face style. Our wines tend to be more elegant and always with a silky finish, and these wines from the Bien Nacido and Salomon Hills vineyards are perfect examples of that. I invite you all to my tasting room in Summerland to taste the different Pinot Noirs that we produce from these regions.

As you've probably heard, we finally got the rains that we badly needed. With the recent showers, we we hope to see more germination and blooming between the rows to help our vines throughout this growing season!

I hope to read all your comments and send you my responses throughout the day!

Cheers!

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

O.k. i'm back...I also tasted both wines at the Klez soiree and I will say there is not much I can add to his notes, he actually got THIS one right

I can say I liked the younger Solomon Hills bottle better(surprise) it was much brighter with acid and a bit of tannin.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin

Had a chance at SoCal #32 to taste a number of upcoming offerings, two of these three in today's offering:
#1 of the evening was the Wine Smith Penny Farthing Chard offered Sunday.
#2 of the night was 2010 Summerland Pinot Noir Bien Nacido Vineyard
#3 of the night was 2009 Summerland Pinot Noir Solomon Hills Vineyard
#4 future offering, hopefully!

Four bottles arrived and were bagged by one and numbered by two others in an attempt to keep things interesting, except Klez pulled corks and recognized the closure. We will replace him for any future involvement other than tasting. Three of the bottles, 1, 3, 4, arrived at a slightly warm cellar temperature and one, 2, that arrived a bit later was at cool room temperature.

Using a DeLong tasting sheet I noted..

#2, the '10 Bien Nacido, poured clear and pale to medium red. Aroma noted as moderate cherry and red berries and a bit of earth; didn't smell at all hot. (disclosure) I knew at least one bottle was a PN and this seemed a likely candidate. Entry was dry and crisp, medium body with nice round tannins. Tart cherry seemed to dominate, along with hints of oak; from the crop or barrel (?). Medium finish.

Came back to this later and some of the edges got knocked off with slo-ox in the bottle.
Overall a pleasant but rather simple bottle that would do well with food. The grilled salami Klez supplied was delicious, but a bit much for this. A bit more earth mushroom would have helped out here.

#3, the '09 Solomon Hills poured clear red to garnet with more color saturation than the BN, and despite being slightly more chilled was more aromatic and not as 'fresh' on the nose; a bit more complex, and still with the cherry, and cranberry, but with additional darker fruits and aromas that made me think this was older than it turned out to be. Again dry, medium-full and lively to crisp on entry, more going on with this one; additional dry to hard tannic components that will take some time to round out. Longer finish as well. Yes, this was the other (somewhat blind) PN for the evening.

This one held up better to the salami, but both did well with the cheeses; a better food wine for other than light dishes. Tasting again later, of what was left, showed decanting would help if this were to be consumed sooner as opposed to later. A few additional years in the bottle and this should be quite tasty.

I liked both of these, but neither is squarely in my PN wheelhouse as they are somewhat lacking the earth, funk and 'shroom I like a bit more of in a PN. Neither are in your face fruit however, and that's a big plus for me.

[edit]
it helps to pound on the 'post' button after the cut and paste, or it was a lost connection. So much for trying to post from a Nexus while other than wide awake.

I've now read the other TN's and seen the pricing...
Klez hits it pretty close to my impressions as well.
Would have liked to sample rpm's bottle, his notes seem consistent with what we found with our #3.
Didn't perceive the alcohol the other TN's comment on.

Sorry I'm late to the show here,
but not as late as others hopefully still to come..

CT

tercerowines

quality posts: 31 Private Messages tercerowines

Wow - you guys and gals are tough!

This is a great trio of wines at a 'more than fair' price for what's inside the bottle.

As you probably know, pinot fruit is some of the most expensive stuff out there, and Bien Nacido pinot certainly comes at a premium - as does Solomon Hills fruit now (owned by the Miller family, who also happen to own Bien Nacido!!!).

2009 was truly a fantastic vintage, and one that will go down in our area as one of the best over the past three decades - seriously.

2010 was a challenging year, but certain vineyards, such as BN and Solomon Hills, handled it beautifully, and the wines I've tasted from both places really are top notch.

Do a general search for pinots from Bien Nacido in general, and you'll usually see their price points north of $40, and oftentimes a lot north of there. Yep, there certainly are exceptions, but you're dealing with a pretty small producer, not one making thousands and thousands of cases of this wine.

Just my $.02 - take it for what it's worth ;-)

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tmmcelmurry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmmcelmurry

Completely off topic... but will Missouri be added back to the states that can buy wine any time soon ?

BilofromSummerlandwinery

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BilofromSummerlandwinery

Hello Klezman,
I really appreciate all your detailed comment and description the Summerland wines.
I agree with most of the descriptions you mentioned.
It is great that you even recognize our winery from the capsule!
We believe in the old world wine making with the new world fruit .I am proud to say that i work very closely with the Miller family and the very best Bien Nacido and Salomon Hills vineyard manager Chris Hamel .They provide the best fruit from the Central Coast not just to Summerland but to all great winemakers in the region .Giving wine makers a chance to express their best work .
These two wines reflects the elegance that we search for throughout our portfolio.
When it comes for price,it is all relevant.
In our wine making process ,we don't short cut.
We pay the top dollar for the top grape and for the best production can produce.
I really enjoy making wines for connoisseurs like you! Thank you!

BilofromSummerlandwinery

tenoreprimo wrote:I recall the Summerland Rhone Trio was a good wine although not as pricey as this offering

I understand,the cost of the fruit for the Pinot is much higher than the trio varietals also we age the Pinot in French oak barrels vs American (less expensive) oak barrels for the Rhone varietals.
Our Trio is $35-$40 retail.

BilofromSummerlandwinery

rpm wrote:Magically, a bottle of the 2010 Summerland Solomon Hills Vineyard Pinot Noir appeared out of nowhere for SWMBO's and my perusal.

The wine was clear with medium color and medium body -- very typical for Pinot Noir. The nose was very nice - vinous and immediately identifiable as Pinot Noir, brightish berries and cherry, but with hints of

The entry was nice - good flavors consistent with the nose, well-knit, good acidity and well structured. A little closed, but we didn't have a chance to let it breath as long as I'd have liked, since I had to leave for a meeting.

The finish was of moderate length, with some tannin - enough I think - but not an overabundance.

SWMBO liked it very much, as did I. A food wine for sure. It really lent itself to being enjoyed as a whole more than to analysis (unusual reaction for me), so perhaps it was not as complex as the best Pinots. Not an old vineyard, I'd guess, but one developing nicely.

I think the wine drinks nicely now, and will probably improve for a year or two. I'm less sure about long term prospects.

We drank more later in the evening after my meeting and again the next night. The characteristics of the wine remained very consistent as it opened slightly.

This is a very nice bottle of wine which I would be happy to drink or to serve. My only question would be the QPR - at a net $101.02 for 3 bottles, that's about $33.50 a bottle.

If your purse is comfortable with the price and you like Pinot Noir, this is definitely worth trying.

Thank you for your kind comments !It means a lot to me and my Summerland team !
Thank you for your support and I hope that your travels will bring you to Santa Barbara so that we can share some more of our special Pinots from our portfolio.
Cheers!

BilofromSummerlandwinery

tercerowines wrote:Wow - you guys and gals are tough!

This is a great trio of wines at a 'more than fair' price for what's inside the bottle.

As you probably know, pinot fruit is some of the most expensive stuff out there, and Bien Nacido pinot certainly comes at a premium - as does Solomon Hills fruit now (owned by the Miller family, who also happen to own Bien Nacido!!!).

2009 was truly a fantastic vintage, and one that will go down in our area as one of the best over the past three decades - seriously.

2010 was a challenging year, but certain vineyards, such as BN and Solomon Hills, handled it beautifully, and the wines I've tasted from both places really are top notch.

Do a general search for pinots from Bien Nacido in general, and you'll usually see their price points north of $40, and oftentimes a lot north of there. Yep, there certainly are exceptions, but you're dealing with a pretty small producer, not one making thousands and thousands of cases of this wine.

Just my $.02 - take it for what it's worth ;-)

Cheers!

Thank you for your support!

BilofromSummerlandwinery

tmmcelmurry wrote:Completely off topic... but will Missouri be added back to the states that can buy wine any time soon ?

Please ask your retailer or restaurateur to bring it in ,it will help us to get some interest from distributors in Missouri.
Thank you for your interest!

BilofromSummerlandwinery

rpm wrote:Magically, a bottle of the 2010 Summerland Solomon Hills Vineyard Pinot Noir appeared out of nowhere for SWMBO's and my perusal.

The wine was clear with medium color and medium body -- very typical for Pinot Noir. The nose was very nice - vinous and immediately identifiable as Pinot Noir, brightish berries and cherry, but with hints of smoke.

Thank you for all your positive comments!
We believe in making food friendly wines by not over oaking our wines.
I understand your comment about price,but the price is born from all the expensive fruit and the labour of love .Everything is handled in a very meticulous way and from the start to finish.
All the best!