Starkey's Court, by J. Keverson, Sonoma Valley Zinfandel 3-Pack
$59.99 $103.00 42% off List Price
2010 Starkey's Court Zinfandel Sonoma Valley, Pedrazzini Family Vineyard
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

I drank a bottle of this last week and wrote a cellartracker review, but it's in a different listing than the one Cesare posted. I'll copy and past my review to the other listing. Here's my review from cellartracker:

3/5/2014
PnP:
Dark for a zinfandel. A deep ruby color.

Notes of dark ripe berries were bombarding my senses as I poured the first glass; the aromas were intense. The initial nose is of ripe cherry and blackberry with hints of plum and rosemary or eucalyptus. There are also some barrel aromas that add to the character without overpowering the wine. Quite pleasant initial impression.

Very nice acidity on the initial attack. Crisp berry flavors; more of a raspberry and blackberry flavor rather than cherry. I'm picking up a hint of acetic acid; a little acetic acid can add complexity to the wine but this is tettering the point of being a flaw. The mid-palate is there but is lacking at this point; I want the flavors to be more forward. The mouth-feel is light and tannins are medium and very fine; I would have guessed the alcohol to be in the 13's rather than nearly 15. The finish has a bit of bitterness but carries the blackberry flavor for 10-15 seconds, which is pleasant. There is also a little bit of rosemary or eucalyptus on the finish; I still can't quite put my finger on it.

If you're a legs kinda guy, this wine has some nice ones . They're pronounced, slow moving and stick to the glass for a few minutes.

1 Hour:
The nose has morphed slightly. The rosemary/eucalyptus note I was getting earlier is now more of a sweet tobacco and the fruit aroma overall is more perfumed; the cherry note in particular is more candied. I'm also now getting a dusty/earthy aroma which adds to the complexity.

The flavors on the mid-palate are more intense which is a plus. The bitterness on the finish isn't diminishing.

I returned the cork to the bottle and will re-evaluate the wine tomorrow.

24 hours:
Being left in the bottle to slow ox overnight really helped the midpalate and finish of this wine. The flavors are more forward and the finish is more intense. The bitterness I was getting in the finish on day 1 has substancially declined. I wanted to try it with some food but all I had in the fridge was muenster cheese. The acidity in the wine cut through the fat of the cheese very well, clearing my palate of oils with each sip. Maybe tomorrow I'll have some more substancial food to pair with this wine; we'll have to wait to see.

48 hours:
The wine is still holding up great. I don't think it has improved from the 24 hour point but it certainly hasn't declined. I think this wine will hold up for many years in the bottle.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

2010 Starkey's Court Zinfandel
Sonoma Valley, Pedrazzini Family Vineyard
Those damn flying monkeys!! Seems like they deliver wine to some of you. Guess we are too far for them to carry it all this way. So all I got was a message that a bottle was on its way. Missed the truck the first day. Then the carrier called to day delivery was delayed until about 8:00. Fortunately, they showed up by 7:30 and my wife was able to meet us for dinner.
To the wine – We opened the bottle the next night. Decanted for an hour or so. Color is dark, though not quite as dark as some Zins. Dark fruits on the nose, cherry and raspberry. The dark fruit continues on the palate, especially the cherry. This is more on the jammy side, even to the point of a slight sweetness. Though I expect this is the fruit, not any RS. Nice finish. We liked this better with dinner than the last glass later. We had with a kielbasa and bean dish which the recipe called “chili”. (It’s not chili, but that would get us off-topic.) This would have been a great pairing with a nicely sauced barbecue chicken or ribs.
Depends on the price point, but this seems like a good buy.
PH: 3.4
TA: .62
Alcohol: 14.9
MSRP $30

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Looks to be a "better than most" Zin for the always doable price of $20/bottle. I'm on the fence. Any chance we get the winemaker in here today?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

chipgreen

quality posts: 177 Private Messages chipgreen

Temporary thread hijack... Baseball season is almost upon us and we need up to 3 more managers for the Woot Fantasy Baseball League. We now return you to your regular broadcast.

free2day33611

quality posts: 2 Private Messages free2day33611

If this is $30 per bottle on the winery website, how is this a deal (except for savings in the shipping cost)? Unless I'm looking at the wrong wine on the winery website.

chipgreen

quality posts: 177 Private Messages chipgreen
free2day33611 wrote:If this is $30 per bottle on the winery website, how is this a deal (except for savings in the shipping cost)? Unless I'm looking at the wrong wine on the winery website.

Woot is selling 3 for $60.

free2day33611

quality posts: 2 Private Messages free2day33611
chipgreen wrote:Woot is selling 3 for $60.

Duh! Sorry about that.

seaner97

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seaner97
free2day33611 wrote:Duh! Sorry about that.

Math. Tough sometimes.

jkeverson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jkeverson
cmaldoon wrote:Looks to be a "better than most" Zin for the always doable price of $20/bottle. I'm on the fence. Any chance we get the winemaker in here today?

Hi all, this John Hazlewood, winemaker and partner. Sorry for not being available earlier, been on the road since 3:30 this morning. I think you will love this Zin. I make several different vineyard designated Zins each year and this has been my go to wine the last few years. Great with barbque, especially baby back ribs with sauce.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
jkeverson wrote:Hi all, this John Hazlewood, winemaker and partner. Sorry for not being available earlier, been on the road since 3:30 this morning. I think you will love this Zin. I make several different vineyard designated Zins each year and this has been my go to wine the last few years. Great with barbque, especially baby back ribs with sauce.

Hi John, thanks for joining the discussion! I really enjoyed this wine! Can you provide some insight as to how the wine finished with an ABV of 15% and a pH of 3.4? A pH of that level is not something I see too often in Zinfandels. I'm guessing it had to do with the weather during the growing season but I don't want to speculate.

mdctreeguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdctreeguy

So, I've bought a few wine offerings here on WOOT over the last year or so. I have generally enjoyed each purchase. I don't drink a ton of wine, so I don't buy a ton. I maybe have a stash of 15-20 bottles at any given time. I've always been amused by tasting reviews. My purchase decisions are usually made by the comments from regulars I read on this thread. My question (to anybody) is this: how would rank the five best Zins that you have purchased on WOOT? I'm curious if there is a generally agreement or a wide diversion in tastes among fellow Wooters.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
mdctreeguy wrote:I'm curious if there is a generally agreement or a wide diversion in tastes among fellow Wooters.

It's pretty rare for everybody to have the same tastes and preferences. Some who post reviews semi-frequently have palates that are both trusted and well known to the community vis a vis their preferences. What this means is that you may get widespread agreement that the wine being sampled is of good quality and well made but one person doesn't like it while another thinks it's the best they've ever tasted. Even such woot favourites as Wellington or Scott Harvey have some level of disagreement over how "good" they are.

Basically you can try to figure out what others like and if trifecta's palate aligns with yours or if you're in the rpm mould. Use CellarTracker to help as well - many of us use the same name there as here, so you can see what we're saying after we drink a bottle we bought here. If you buy an offer of something, come back to the thread (if there were samplers out there) and compare your perceptions to theirs. You'll quickly sort it out.

Most of all, though, I've found rpm's advice most helpful: pull lots of corks, remember what you drink!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mdctreeguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdctreeguy
klezman wrote:It's pretty rare for everybody to have the same tastes and preferences. Some who post reviews semi-frequently have palates that are both trusted and well known to the community vis a vis their preferences. What this means is that you may get widespread agreement that the wine being sampled is of good quality and well made but one person doesn't like it while another thinks it's the best they've ever tasted. Even such woot favourites as Wellington or Scott Harvey have some level of disagreement over how "good" they are.

Basically you can try to figure out what others like and if trifecta's palate aligns with yours or if you're in the rpm mould. Use CellarTracker to help as well - many of us use the same name there as here, so you can see what we're saying after we drink a bottle we bought here. If you buy an offer of something, come back to the thread (if there were samplers out there) and compare your perceptions to theirs. You'll quickly sort it out.

Most of all, though, I've found rpm's advice most helpful: pull lots of corks, remember what you drink!

Thanks for the input Klez. RPM is another of the regulars I pay attention to. My favorite Zin to date has been the 2010 Scott Harvey Old Vine. I've tried their Mountain, InZINerator, and 1869 too.

I'll take the advice you passed on and go pull a cork now. Cheers.

jkeverson

ajrod27 wrote:I drank a bottle of this last week and wrote a cellartracker review, but it's in a different listing than the one Cesare posted. I'll copy and past my review to the other listing. Here's my review from cellartracker:

3/5/2014
PnP:
Dark for a zinfandel. A deep ruby color.

Notes of dark ripe berries were bombarding my senses as I poured the first glass; the aromas were intense. The initial nose is of ripe cherry and blackberry with hints of plum and rosemary or eucalyptus. There are also some barrel aromas that add to the character without overpowering the wine. Quite pleasant initial impression.

Very nice acidity on the initial attack. Crisp berry flavors; more of a raspberry and blackberry flavor rather than cherry. I'm picking up a hint of acetic acid; a little acetic acid can add complexity to the wine but this is tettering the point of being a flaw. The mid-palate is there but is lacking at this point; I want the flavors to be more forward. The mouth-feel is light and tannins are medium and very fine; I would have guessed the alcohol to be in the 13's rather than nearly 15. The finish has a bit of bitterness but carries the blackberry flavor for 10-15 seconds, which is pleasant. There is also a little bit of rosemary or eucalyptus on the finish; I still can't quite put my finger on it.

If you're a legs kinda guy, this wine has some nice ones . They're pronounced, slow moving and stick to the glass for a few minutes.

1 Hour:
The nose has morphed slightly. The rosemary/eucalyptus note I was getting earlier is now more of a sweet tobacco and the fruit aroma overall is more perfumed; the cherry note in particular is more candied. I'm also now getting a dusty/earthy aroma which adds to the complexity.

The flavors on the mid-palate are more intense which is a plus. The bitterness on the finish isn't diminishing.

I returned the cork to the bottle and will re-evaluate the wine tomorrow.

24 hours:
Being left in the bottle to slow ox overnight really helped the midpalate and finish of this wine. The flavors are more forward and the finish is more intense. The bitterness I was getting in the finish on day 1 has substancially declined. I wanted to try it with some food but all I had in the fridge was muenster cheese. The acidity in the wine cut through the fat of the cheese very well, clearing my palate of oils with each sip. Maybe tomorrow I'll have some more substancial food to pair with this wine; we'll have to wait to see.

48 hours:
The wine is still holding up great. I don't think it has improved from the 24 hour point but it certainly hasn't declined. I think this wine will hold up for many years in the bottle.

This John the winemaker. Thanks for trying the wine. I agree with you that the wine improves after being open. We have paired this zin with many different cheeses, but also with spicey barbque sauce on meats. I get a little pepper on the nose and finish which I love with the barbqued meats.

jkeverson

ajrod27 wrote:Hi John, thanks for joining the discussion! I really enjoyed this wine! Can you provide some insight as to how the wine finished with an ABV of 15% and a pH of 3.4? A pH of that level is not something I see too often in Zinfandels. I'm guessing it had to do with the weather during the growing season but I don't want to speculate.

2010 growing season was cooler than most. Not a lot of hot days. These grapes are grown in Sonoma Valley which is cooler than the dry Creek AVA. The grapes took longer to ripen in 2010. They were not picked until late October. Longer hang time and we cold soak the grapes for 2 to 3 days before the yeast is added to start the fermentation. The brix were a little over 25 by the time the grapes started fermenting. The extra hang time on the fruit also affected the PH.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
mdctreeguy wrote:Thanks for the input Klez. RPM is another of the regulars I pay attention to. My favorite Zin to date has been the 2010 Scott Harvey Old Vine. I've tried their Mountain, InZINerator, and 1869 too.

I'll take the advice you passed on and go pull a cork now. Cheers.

No problem...it's really just up to your own preferences.

Having a comparison between InZinerator, SH Red label, SH White Label, and SH Vineyard 1869 is actually amazingly helpful since that encompasses a range of styles.

What cork did you pull?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT