MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

It's almost time for March Madness!!

Make your picks in 7 days, after Teams are announced on March 16.

The teams get picked on Sunday (16th) and the games start on Thursday (20th). So don't forget to make your picks by that Thursday morning by 1 AM EDT!

Join in the Madness!

In case above link doesn't work properly, try this one.

Deadline to submit your bracket is 01:00am EDT on Thursday, March 20th.

Last Year's thread.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen
MarkDaSpark wrote:It's almost time for March Madness!!

The teams get picked on Sunday (16th) and the games start on Thursday (20th). So don't forget to make your picks by that Wednesday evening at 10 PM!

Join in the Madness!

Deadline to submit your bracket is 10:00pm EDT on Wednesday, March 19th.

Last Year's thread.

Hmm, seems like cannot signup without giving them my cell # so they can send SMS? Am I wrong to think that Yahoo (and/or their affiliates) may start spamming me with text messages if I agree to the terms?

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
chipgreen wrote:Hmm, seems like cannot signup without giving them my cell # so they can send SMS? Am I wrong to think that Yahoo (and/or their affiliates) may start spamming me with text messages if I agree to the terms?

I use Google Voice
Google Voice. Free. Forwards to my cell.

I only give out my GV #, then if it ever gets too full of junk, I haven't lost my cell #.

MarkDaSpark

chipgreen wrote:Hmm, seems like cannot signup without giving them my cell # so they can send SMS? Am I wrong to think that Yahoo (and/or their affiliates) may start spamming me with text messages if I agree to the terms?

I haven't gotten spammed yet from them. Or anyone.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chipgreen

MarkDaSpark wrote:I haven't gotten spammed yet from them. Or anyone.

I clicked on the E-SIGN terms link and it appears that I would be consenting to 2 SPAMs per week, with the ability to opt out at a later date.

I do still have a land line, maybe I should give that number. But then I would probably not receive the "verification code". I'm glad they are not pulling this BS for fantasy leagues (yet).

Text pasted below...

----------------
SMS/Text Messages
Submitting your mobile phone number and clicking on “Send SMS” also constitutes your electronic signature and consent to receive not more than 2 automated, marketing text messages, per week from Yahoo and third parties acting on Yahoo’s behalf (e.g., our service providers). Providing your consent to receive these text messages is not a condition of purchasing any property, goods, or services. To participate in the free Yahoo Sports Tourney Pick‘em 2014 or Quicken Loans Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge with Yahoo Sports, you must initially agree to receive text messages from Yahoo, if you provided a mobile phone number. However, you can text STOP at any time or use this link to opt out of further text messages. Message and data rates may apply.

chipgreen

Despite my opposition to SPAM, SPAM, eggs and SPAM, I decided to join. Gave them my cell #, received the verification code, entered the code.... and received the following message; "There was a problem. Sorry, we had an issue verifying your phone number. (Error #911)"

W.T.F.? How do they suppose I got the code?

EDIT: Tried again and it let me join without entering my number again.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
chipgreen wrote:Despite my opposition to SPAM, SPAM, eggs and SPAM...

I approve of this Monty Python reference

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

Reminder that they post teams on Sunday.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
MarkDaSpark wrote:It's almost time for March Madness!!

The teams get picked on Sunday (16th) and the games start on Thursday (20th). So don't forget to make your picks by that Wednesday evening at 10 PM!

Join in the Madness!

Deadline to submit your bracket is 10:00pm EDT on Wednesday, March 19th.

Last Year's thread.

Sparky, are you sure about that deadline? I think you got your time zones scrambled. Yahoo's Q & A page says the deadline's 1 a.m. EDT on the 20th, not 10 p.m. on the 19th -- but that's only if you want to enter the billion-dollar thing. For a regular Yahoo pick'em bracket, without the billion-dollar contest entry, it looks like the entry deadline is noon Eastern on Thursday. https://help.yahoo.com/kb/tourney-pickem/deadlines-overview-sln6664.html

MarkDaSpark

InFrom wrote:Sparky, are you sure about that deadline? I think you got your time zones scrambled. Yahoo's Q & A page says the deadline's 1 a.m. EDT on the 20th, not 10 p.m. on the 19th -- but that's only if you want to enter the billion-dollar thing. For a regular Yahoo pick'em bracket, without the billion-dollar contest entry, it looks like the entry deadline is noon Eastern on Thursday. https://help.yahoo.com/kb/tourney-pickem/deadlines-overview-sln6664.html

That's what they showed on the league ... but they might have changed it since then.

I wouldn't wait til Thursday though, we had some forget to get their picks all in, IIRC.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Not giving them my phone number just to fill out a bracket. How floater is that. Yahoo might just be next on my list.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I agree with North. I'd love to join in and fill out a bracket, but not at the price of my cell phone number. That they can not have.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
coynedj wrote:I agree with North. I'd love to join in and fill out a bracket, but not at the price of my cell phone number. That they can not have.

It doesn't have to be YOUR number, just A number....

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

MarkDaSpark

merbill wrote:It doesn't have to be YOUR number, just A number....

Exactly!

Last chance to enter brackets ... now it says 12:15 EDT tomorrow (20th)

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

In again this year. Just hope to take Warren's gift.

Z

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

I'm all in

BTW is there a prize for last place??

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

merbill

Wild day on the courts. Guess I won't be winning the billion dollars.

edthebedhead

edthebedhead wrote:I use Google Voice
Google Voice. Free. Forwards to my cell.

I only give out my GV #, then if it ever gets too full of junk, I haven't lost my cell #.

Found out today that Yahoo won't allow a Google Voice number.

I hate dribble like that.

edthebedhead

Also, seems like the pool name still says 2013.

MarkDaSpark

edthebedhead wrote:Also, seems like the pool name still says 2013.

Yes, forgot I needed to change the name when registering again. And it won't let me change it.

edthebedhead

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes, forgot I needed to change the name when registering again. And it won't let me change it.

I'm not too concerned.

I can't change my bracket either. Oh well.

merbill

Twelve joined the battle; 3 are left. Here's how its going to go down...

If Florida wins the National Championship, so will Java.

If Ky beats Wisconsin, AND Florida LOSES to Connecticut, ChipGreen will vault from 6th to first and win it all. He won't even have to care who wins the Nat'l Champ.

In all other scenarios (which sounds like a lot but isn't), I sneak in and win, even though my final pick, Wichita St, was the first Bracket winner to be eliminated.

Two others, Otolith and Tytiger, can score more points and finish as high as second, but they can't win. The other 7 brackets are DITW.

I think the one great lesson here is never put a Pac-12 team into the Final 4.

Thanks for setting this up Sparky. It was quite a year.

MarkDaSpark

And Chipgreen is the winner. With 37 correct out of 63, and a total of 77 points.

Merbill takes 2nd place.

And as noted, I need to stop picking Pac-12 teams for the Final Four. And probably Sweet Sixteen as well!

chipgreen

The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home...

merbill

MarkDaSpark wrote:And Chipgreen is the winner. With 37 correct out of 63, and a total of 77 points.

Merbill takes 2nd place.

And as noted, I need to stop picking Pac-12 teams for the Final Four. And probably Sweet Sixteen as well!

Hey, I got the most right picks - 38. But Chip earned his victory since he was the only person in our pool who picked either of the final 2 teams.