Penny Farthing Chardonnay 6-Pack
$59.99 $139.00 57% off List Price
2009 Penny Farthing Chardonnay
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Spring forward ...

... I think some parts of the country are ready for spring.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom

Kudos to the Woot photog. Love the penny-farthing made out of pennies!

Now I better get up and set some clocks.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

2009 Penny Farthing Chardonnay

PNP:
Golden straw color. Initial nose of lemon curd, Granny Smith and hints of caramel

Initial attack shows decent acidity and a slightly creamy mouthfeel. Granny Smith apples carry over to the palate with a touch of lemon zest on the tail end. The finish is clean, citrusy and mildly intense.

A couple hours in:
The nose is super rich with toffee and banana, like a bananas fosters.

We had this wine with chicken and mushroom in cream sauce, mashed cauliflower with cheese and rosemary potatoe bread. The wine cut through the fat of the food very well and paired great with the cauliflower mash. I would not have guessed this chard to be 5 years old. I think it'll hold up well for about 5 more years, maybe more. Well worth the $10/bottle!

dalematthew

quality posts: 24 Private Messages dalematthew

2009 Pennyfarthing Chard

Color - straw / golden color and clear

Nose - apricot and a touch of pineapple and cream / maybe honey present.

Palate - nose carries through to the palate with subtle red apple overtones and some minerality. Clean with a crispness, in summary - not a flabby / oaky chard but well balanced. Don't mistake the crispness for a SB bite - just well balanced and not overly oaked - very drinkable with a touch of toastiness to round it out.

Enjoy!

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
ajrod27 wrote:2009 Penny Farthing Chardonnay

PNP:
Golden straw color. Initial nose of lemon curd, Granny Smith and hints of caramel

Initial attack shows decent acidity and a slightly creamy mouthfeel. Granny Smith apples carry over to the palate with a touch of lemon zest on the tail end. The finish is clean, citrusy and mildly intense.

A couple hours in:
The nose is super rich with toffee and banana, like a bananas fosters.

We had this wine with chicken and mushroom in cream sauce, mashed cauliflower with cheese and rosemary potatoe bread. The wine cut through the fat of the food very well and paired great with the cauliflower mash. I would not have guessed this chard to be 5 years old. I think it'll hold up well for about 5 more years, maybe more. Well worth the $10/bottle!

Thanks for the tasting notes! Clark's wines are built to age. Doesn't seem to matter if they're reds, whites or rosés. In fact, his NV Pennyfarthing Rosé isn't NV at all but if he told you the vintage, you probably wouldn't buy it.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

Tasting notes to follow in the morning. Impromptu mini NorCal gathering with just SWMBO and ajrod27 and we got through 5 bottles and moved on to bourbon/scotch. We're champs.

winesmith

quality posts: 49 Private Messages winesmith

Hi gang. Sorry to be late - gave a concert that gave out late.

I see you guys have handled the reviews well. I agree with all comments. Many thanks.

Unlike my WineSmith wines, which are sort of geeky, intellectual wines that explore the possibilities of California wines made in a Eurocentric style stressing depth and complexity, PennyFarthing wines celebrate what I see as a new possibility for New World wines to be purely delicious, in a straightforward style without embellishment.

The pennyfarthing bicycle is so named because a British penny is a rather large coin, and a farthing is a quarter penny, hence the analogy with an oldtime bicycle. It evokes a period when life was simpler and more joyful.

California grapes are well suited to this style - often much more rich and generous than, say, French grapes. Santa Barbara Chard in particular is wonderfully rich on its own without embellishment from malolactic or apricot marmalade, honey and brioche. Some of you may recognize a likeness to my other PF offerings such as the '07 Barbera and the Dry Rosé (it's actually a 2007 also, as Chip was polite enough to keep close). As he pointed out, these wines have considerable longevity potential simply because I don't push them very hard.

Cool-fermented in stainless steel, I did give the finish a very light kiss of toast from some beautiful French oak…chips. So shoot me.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Tasted last night. I'm sick, though, so I'll defer to my So Cal brethren to provide real notes.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

2009 Winesmith Penny Farthing Chardonnay
Color is bright golden leaning towards straw. Good clarity. PnP nose is not giving a lot up, getting some apricot, a bit of green apply, and a touch of honey. Palate has a nice rounded feel and good weight, but then finishes clean and crisp. Medium length finish with some citrus going on and a bit of zingy minerality on the sides of the tongue.
The thing I found striking about this chardonnay is that it was “upside down” or reverse of most California chardonnay I have tried. Most have a crisp entry that picks up weight and finishes with heft and roundness. This wine does the opposite, giving you the lush roundness up front and the weight starts to dissipate to the back of the palate and ultimately finishes crisp and clean. This characteristic made it quite nice with dinner.
About 1.5 hours open the nose is starting to pick up and the green apple and honey are more prominent, getting a burnt sugar/caramelized on the nose as well. At 2.5 hour the nose has evolved further and is leaning now in more of a banana cream pie direction, something I typically get on viognier.
This chardonnay was quite good. All three of us really liked it. I had penciled in solid value at $15. At $10 the QPR here is awesome. There is more complexity here than is typical at the price point. No signs of this wine being over the hill. I would cellar another 3-4 years without even worrying about it.
I will need to be stocking up on this for the summer months and bbq’s to come.

Edit: just a note that the bottle consumed last night had been resting quietly in my cellar for months.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

These reviews are interesting because they are soooo different than mine

Tried a couple of times in the early evening, the one thing I can agree with in previous reviews is the taste and sense of creamy banana's?? not the first thing I think of when drinking a chard YMMV the things I did not get are minerality energy or good acidity. It just seemed creamy and bland and what little oak there was just seemed to add to that sensation. Sorry Woot, just one persons opinion.

But I will say the 3 other bottles that are coming were pretty darn good.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Tasted last night. I'm sick, though, so I'll defer to my So Cal brethren to provide real notes.

What's wrong with a Spicy nose of phlegm and a palate of racy mucus.

CT

CruelMelody

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CruelMelody

Hi Winesmith,

Any chance your winery could do a similar offer to those of us still excluded from Woot's shipping?

winesmith

CruelMelody wrote:Hi Winesmith,

Any chance your winery could do a similar offer to those of us still excluded from Woot's shipping?

Absolutely. Woot has been cool with this. Just PM us your commitment today and we'll send you contact details to call us with your card tomorrow.

winesmith

BTW, for those of you supergeeks who didn't catch the buzz, I was privileged to be Special Featured Guest for a week last month over at wineberserker.com, so for you geeks, that site is now a reference library for postmodern winemaking issues. Enjoy.

mikefaulk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikefaulk

Hello Everyone!!! Mike Faulk here, Clark's sidekick. I just want to remind everyone (or let you know- if this is your first time hearing about it) We will be having a Pot Luck gathering at Clark's Place on Saturday March 22, 2014. Starting at 3:00 PM

This is not an event you will want to miss... Word on the street is we will be tasting verticals of WineSmith Faux Chablis and Crucible. Including a 2005 Faux Chablis and 2007 Crucible that has not even been labeled yet.

Please send me a PM or call me at 954-295-8944 if you plan on making it. RSVP's will be much appreciated so we know how much wine to gather.

Happy wooting and we hope to see many of you there!!!! Feel free to bring a bottle to share as well.

- Mike

mikefaulk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikefaulk
CruelMelody wrote:Hi Winesmith,

Hi Cruel Melody, PM me and we will talk about getting you some wine.

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman

Somebody else (trifecta?) mentioned something akin to Viognier in the finish. I also perceived that - and I even found this to have some o the oily character I sometimes associate with Viognier. On the whole, I found this bottle to be tasty, easy drinking, and pretty simple. This will go with food or on its own without any issues. I think Clark hit the stylistic window he was aiming for.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
winesmith wrote:BTW, for those of you supergeeks who didn't catch the buzz, I was privileged to be Special Featured Guest for a week last month over at wineberserker.com, so for you geeks, that site is now a reference library for postmodern winemaking issues. Enjoy.

Really been enjoying the WB thread, looks like it was a bit slow to get going, but really picked up steam near the end of the week. You planning on heading back to finish up any of the late questions?

I first picked up some of the '09 Chard directly from the winery back in September after drinking some at the wootception.

Our tasting last night got off a bit slow, waiting on other wooters to arrive (and still waiting for them to post their notes they took on the sheets I handed out) and was highly disadvantaged as it followed a pretty exceptional $50 bottle of chard that rather jaded us, that said...

The bottle we shared last night at Klez' was right on the mark with the earlier ones I've had and pretty consistent with the notes posted so far, well, excepting Kyle's, but he gets a pass this round. It fills the space between the 100% stainless ultra crisp and the oaky-malo butter balls that some find so pleasing, remaining crisp but also allowing the fruit to shine.

Clark's line of Penny Farthing offerings can be quite eye opening examples of what can be done without crushing the bank.

CT

winesmith

klezman wrote:Somebody else (trifecta?) mentioned something akin to Viognier in the finish. I also perceived that - and I even found this to have some o the oily character I sometimes associate with Viognier. On the whole, I found this bottle to be tasty, easy drinking, and pretty simple. This will go with food or on its own without any issues. I think Clark hit the stylistic window he was aiming for.

Thanks. It's really just the way Santa Barbara Chardonnay turns out pretty much every time. I don't know why it's always so lush and oily, or where the dense citrus notes come from. I can't think of another AVA where this happens.

winesmith

rjquillin wrote:Really been enjoying the WB thread, looks like it was a bit slow to get going, but really picked up steam near the end of the week. You planning on heading back to finish up any of the late questions?

Yes, I just got through replying to Tom Hill's tasting notes of the Postmodern six pack. You know those wines, so feel free to chime in.

I still owe Tom a discussion of orange wines and Andrew a summary of oak. Those are challenging topics and I've been swamped, but they're on my scope for next week. Anything else I'm missing?

gsokell3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsokell3
winesmith wrote:Yes, I just got through replying to Tom Hill's tasting notes of the Postmodern six pack. You know those wines, so feel free to chime in.

I still owe Tom a discussion of orange wines and Andrew a summary of oak. Those are challenging topics and I've been swamped, but they're on my scope for next week. Anything else I'm missing?

I was looking for something to follow up with The Crusher, Big Orange,that I purchased a bit ago. This sounds like it may fill the bill. I'm in for one.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 211 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Always great to have Clark on the boards.

and yes, great photo !