Beehive Cheese Company - Barely Buzzed and Sea Hive
$29.99 $45.00 33% off List Price
Barely Buzzed 1lb Wedge
SeaHive 1lb Wedge

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

tracylee

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tracylee

I purchased these through Woot a few years ago and I can honestly say that the Barely Buzzed is the only cheese I've ever had that bit back! It's pretty strong stuff.

spikepig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spikepig

If you don't buy it... You are a FOOL!!! Delicious is an understatement. I have yet to be disappointed by any Beehive cheeses. I will say though that some of them are quite strong (have a bite, from previous comment!)

shinigamitabris

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shinigamitabris

One of the restaurants around here offers cheese plates, one of which included Barely Buzzed and holy wow was it amazing. Add a drizzle of honey and it's even better!

spikepig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spikepig
shinigamitabris wrote:One of the restaurants around here offers cheese plates, one of which included Barely Buzzed and holy wow was it amazing. Add a drizzle of honey and it's even better!

Totally going to give some to the local restaurant that does a cheese plate. Maybe they'll start using it so I don't have to wait for woot deals. :-)

shinigamitabris

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shinigamitabris
spikepig wrote:Totally going to give some to the local restaurant that does a cheese plate. Maybe they'll start using it so I don't have to wait for woot deals. :-)

That's a fabulous idea! Every now and then (usually around holidays) Beehive has sales on their site but nothing has beaten woot's price.

I'm super stoked to try the Sea Hive, too, if it's even half as good as the Barely Buzzed. I wonder how it'd do in a grilled cheese sammich...

slcTY

quality posts: 2 Private Messages slcTY

Barely Buzzed is my favorite cheese of all cheeses. It is fantastically delicious and everyone who enjoys cheese should give it a try. Mmmmmm, so good.

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen

I'm in. Both of these are delicious!

poohcrackers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poohcrackers

I'm a sucker for cheese, especially after reading such good things about it. In for 1. I'm sure my fiancee will love it--if not I won't let it go to waste anyways :P

reif99

quality posts: 1 Private Messages reif99

OK, I'll say it.

15 bucks a pound is a little steep, no?

maninblack

quality posts: 3 Private Messages maninblack
reif99 wrote:OK, I'll say it.

No. For quality cheese, $15/pound is a pretty reasonable price. I currently have two imported cheddars in my fridge that are both around $20/pound (1/4 pound chunks of each). Sure, I use less expensive cheese from Trader Joe's if I'm just making a sandwich for lunch, or if I make mac & cheese for the kids. But if you want a really good cheese, it's going to cost.

It's like comparing Hershey's chocolate to the salted caramels or salted caramel pecan patties that show up on Woot every now and again.

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers

Normally someone has already asked my questions by now, but it looks like it hasn't even been brought up!

Two questions: (1) How long will these last once opened and stored in the fridge? (2) What is a good storage technique to maximize the amount of time it can be stored and/or is edible?

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Noooo!

This is normally an auto buy for me; I was in on the last side deal for all the varieties, and I just started on the last bit.

But I will again be travelling on business, and my fear is that it will show up while I am gone. Yes, I have a UPS store I ship to, but then what? I've used up any goodwill from my friends to pick up for me.

Sigh.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

Dictatorkris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dictatorkris
maninblack wrote:No. For quality cheese, $15/pound is a pretty reasonable price. I currently have two imported cheddars in my fridge that are both around $20/pound (1/4 pound chunks of each). Sure, I use less expensive cheese from Trader Joe's if I'm just making a sandwich for lunch, or if I make mac & cheese for the kids. But if you want a really good cheese, it's going to cost.

It's like comparing Hershey's chocolate to the salted caramels or salted caramel pecan patties that show up on Woot every now and again.

Actually, as someone that literally grew up with chocolate I can comfortably say most of the chocolate on woot is barely qualified to be the price woot offers it for and the thought of someone paying the full price for them makes me sad.

marbaulo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages marbaulo
clcaruthers wrote:Normally someone has already asked my questions by now, but it looks like it hasn't even been brought up!

Two questions: (1) How long will these last once opened and stored in the fridge? (2) What is a good storage technique to maximize the amount of time it can be stored and/or is edible?

1- IMHO about a month.
2- wrapped very snuggly in cheesecloth, parchment, or waxed paper then a plastic bag or container. The wrap mimics the rind and the container, the cave. I buy larger pieces regularly and have no problems.

sputnik23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sputnik23

Is there anyone here who dislikes the flavor of coffee/espresso but likes the Barely Buzzed? I'm a cheese lover but a coffee hater, which wasn't a problem with the TeaHive and Promontory from last time...

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

Any assurance that these cheeses come from the milk of cows that have not been give rBST or any other antibiotics or hormones?

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt

I've bought Woot deals in the past for Beehive cheese and it is great cheese. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to spring for it this time but it definitely deserves a chance if you love cheese. I can't speak for how well or not coffee haters would like the barely buzzed though since I love coffee.

CatCK wrote:Any assurance that these cheeses come from the milk of cows that have not been give rBST or any other antibiotics or hormones?

From the Beehive Cheese company's "About Us" page...

"A common question about milk concerns growth hormones and antibiotics. No cow is ever administered artificial growth hormones, most commonly referred to as rBGH or rBST. In the event that a cow becomes ill, the cow is separated from the heard and treated. The cow is then held until she’s well and then reintroduced into the herd once her milk tests clear for antibiotics."
https://www.beehivecheese.com/about-us

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK
elangomatt wrote:... From the Beehive Cheese company's "About Us" page...

"A common question about milk concerns growth hormones and antibiotics. No cow is ever administered artificial growth hormones, most commonly referred to as rBGH or rBST. In the event that a cow becomes ill, the cow is separated from the heard and treated. The cow is then held until she’s well and then reintroduced into the herd once her milk tests clear for antibiotics."
https://www.beehivecheese.com/about-us

Thank you! I looked on their website and did not see this. I'm going to give this a try.

bendb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bendb

I've taken to buying these almost every time they come around. I have found they usually keep six or nine months in the original wrapping without any problem.

And boy, does the Barely Buzzed improve with age. The coffee flavor mellows out a bit, and migrates further into the cheese. Yum, Yum.

lnljuly

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lnljuly
sputnik23 wrote:Is there anyone here who dislikes the flavor of coffee/espresso but likes the Barely Buzzed? I'm a cheese lover but a coffee hater, which wasn't a problem with the TeaHive and Promontory from last time...

sputnik, if you don't like the flavor of coffee/espresso, you won't like the Barely Buzzed. I don't like coffee either and I love cheese, but the coffee flavor is strong enough that it overpowers everything else for me. Barely Buzzed is the only Beehive cheese that I've had that I would not buy again. Which makes me sad, because I want the Seahive. I'm (im)patiently waiting for the TeaHive to come up again.

stinawargo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages stinawargo

Lovelovelove this brand of cheese. My local Whole Foods carried the Sea Hive briefly and then stopped and now Woot is my only source. Wish they offered some of the other varieties this time!
The last package of Sea Hive that I received had an odd aftertaste, but it was fantastic on homemade pizza so no it all got used anyway.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
shinigamitabris wrote:One of the restaurants around here offers cheese plates, one of which included Barely Buzzed and holy wow was it amazing. Add a drizzle of honey and it's even better!

~these cheeses~
but, not honey, instead
Cavedoni Botte Piccola Italian Balsamic
not to die for, but only as I want more, later.

CT

modelakathy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages modelakathy

So glad to see these two again! This turophile had ordered it in the past and enjoyed every last tidbit of each cheese. Sad to say, it wasn't around long enough to worry about keeping. Caveat caseum: Don't get your cholesterol tested after going on a Beehive binge!

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia

Let me add my voice to the cacophony of previously impressed customers. I really enjoyed these cheeses last time. I also abused the heck out of them...

I stuck one (still shrink wrapped) into my checked luggage from the east coast to Hawaii in January. I enjoyed it during my 10 days in Hawaii. We switched rental houses once, and it had to stay unrefrigerated for the better part of a day again, this time opened. Then I stuck the bit I had left back in my checked luggage for the trip home. I finally polished it off 2 weeks later, and it was still tasty.

TL;DR...hard cheeses like these are very forgiving to temperature abuse, especially if they're still shrink wrapped.

The only reason I'm on the fence now is that it's a lot of cheese for two people to go through.

beehivecheesekatie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages beehivecheesekatie
tracylee wrote:I purchased these through Woot a few years ago and I can honestly say that the Barely Buzzed is the only cheese I've ever had that bit back! It's pretty strong stuff.

Let's consider it a love bite. :-) ^Katie

beehivecheesekatie

spikepig wrote:Totally going to give some to the local restaurant that does a cheese plate. Maybe they'll start using it so I don't have to wait for woot deals. :-)

Hey there! Let me know which establishment you're thinking of talking to. I can help with samples. katie@beehivecheese.com

beehivecheesekatie

clcaruthers wrote:Normally someone has already asked my questions by now, but it looks like it hasn't even been brought up!

Two answers!
1. The cheese will do well for 2-3 weeks if wrapped well and tight. Unopened, the cheese will last 3 months.
2. I suggest plastic wrap that is tight. Air and excessive moisture are the enemy. If you have a food-saver, you can seal half the cheese for a much longer shelf life.

Cheers! ^Katie

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
reif99 wrote:OK, I'll say it.

No, it's not.

rc70

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rc70

This is a good price, I live in Salt Lake and the stores here sell it for 20.00LB minimum - I do occasionally drive up to Beehives facility and buy it direct for a savings and for some of the experimental cheeses they make.
I'm in on this - you should be to.

Accelerator

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Accelerator

I priced this same order at beehivecheese.com
For this order to be sent to me from Beehive it would cost $53.92
This Woot! is $34.99
A difference of $18.93
I'm liking Woot! - Wine! and cheese

gkarrish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gkarrish

I bought this previously and LOVED the Seahive, but the coffee flavor of the Barely Buzzed was overpowering and not for me. I cannot justify $30 plus shipping for the Seahive alone.

Why, oh why, is the Seahive never offered here by itself?? When this comes up for sale, I shed a single tear.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

This is AMAZING cheese.....not sure if I can resist this offer

rjquillin

bsevern wrote:This is AMAZING cheese.....not sure if I can resist this offer

So get a couple #'s to take to WineSmith later this month.

CT

usclawyer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages usclawyer

I recently moved to Salt Lake City from Los Angeles, and I was skeptical of the foodery and winery in this one-stoplight of a cow-town, but boy was I wrong! Beehive cheeses are amazing and original. You will not find these flavors anywhere else in the world. They are well worth the full retail price, and you can't beat this Woot deal.
The outside of the cheese is coated with this delightful roasted ground barley stuff, which you just crave. It tastes vaguely like coffee or toast, but it compliments the cheese perfectly. I can't get enough of this cheese. I am an addict.

beehivecheesekatie

usclawyer wrote:I recently moved to Salt Lake City from Los Angeles, and I was skeptical of the foodery and winery in this one-stoplight of a cow-town, but boy was I wrong! Beehive cheeses are amazing and original. You will not find these flavors anywhere else in the world. They are well worth the full retail price, and you can't beat this Woot deal.
The outside of the cheese is coated with this delightful roasted ground barley stuff, which you just crave. It tastes vaguely like coffee or toast, but it compliments the cheese perfectly. I can't get enough of this cheese. I am an addict.

Thanks USC! Welcome to the community. ^Katie

Dadoboy

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Dadoboy

Ok.. I pulled the trigger.. but I must ask.. What wine is a good pair with these? I'm new to both wine & good cheeses.

JiggaWagga

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JiggaWagga

Man I want to try this stuff, but I'm not a cheese connoisseur, and I don't really want to spend $30 on something I might not like. I'm so conflicted.

rjquillin

JiggaWagga wrote:Man I want to try this stuff, but I'm not a cheese connoisseur, and I don't really want to spend $30 on something I might not like. I'm so conflicted.

It's not Velveta, not to worry.

CT