2009 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir, Stony Point Vineyard
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
3/4/13

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jamesfamilycellars

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jamesfamilycellars

Hi, Wooters! We're glad to be back, and we look forward to sharing our latest vintage with you. Cheers!

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

I got a bottle of this in the mail in some super creative way.

I'll start by saying this wine went down easier than anything I've drank in a while.

Color in the glass was brick red, but not bricked, with an orange meniscus.

Initial nose, at 55F, was mostly ripe cherry with over-ripe mandarin orange. After some air the mandarin turned to cola and some spice came to life. From the beginning the nose ended with some definite mushroom and earthy funk. No alcohol to speak of.

On the palate was again more ripe cherry, not tart cherry, with a nice spice on the finish. No alcohol on the finish at all. Medium plus acid. Bone dry. Medium to medium-light body, indicative of Pinot Noirs that are typically harvested much less ripe.

I think this wine could benefit from 1-3 years for the acid. I think between and acid and hint of funk, this wine would benefit on complexity over the years as well.

On initial taste, I placed it at $20/bottle. If you're patient,I think you would be getting a good deal at these prices.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

fwiw, from Wine Enthusiast:

James Family Cellars 2009 Stony Point Vineyard Estate Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast)
89 points
by Steve Heimoff
James Family continues to produce solid Pinot Noirs from this vineyard that are typical of the Sonoma Coast. The wine is dry, properly tart in acidity, and has flavors of pomegranates and cranberries, with astringent cherry-skin-like tannins.
— (3/1/2013) — 89

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo

Hi Mods -

You might want to add the "3-Pack" to the main page. I'm thinking it is discouraging folks from clicking through.

[MOD: Good point. It's being fixed.]

jamesfamilycellars

A couple of favorite food pairing ideas for our '09 Pinot Noir include grilled salmon with a soy sauce and honey marinade; beer-can chicken with mushroom risoto; pork chops. Oh, and paella... we do a wonderful paella and pinot feast for our wine club members on our patio in the summertime.

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
woopdedoo wrote:Hi Mods -

PM Woop.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 138 Private Messages cortot20
jamesfamilycellars wrote:Hi, Wooters! We're glad to be back, and we look forward to sharing our latest vintage with you. Cheers!

Hi, could you provide some additional specs. PH, TA and winemaking techniques. It's both interesting to us and can push people into the thread.

CT

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
jamesfamilycellars wrote:A couple of favorite food pairing ideas for our '09 Pinot Noir include grilled salmon with a soy sauce and honey marinade; beer-can chicken with mushroom risoto; pork chops. Oh, and paella... we do a wonderful paella and pinot feast for our wine club members on our patio in the summertime.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, paella.

The description mentioned two pinot clones, and that your grapes have gone into sparklers. I don't know much about clones beyond what Star Wars taught me. Please tell me why you chose these clones: Do they have an affinity with your terrior? What do they specifically impart into the wine? Where do they come from? Are some clones better for still wines vs sparklers? Do we have anything to fear from them? What if they attack?

Any SoCal'ers, I think I'm interested in a split...

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Been having an issue with these darn flying monkeys at our office lately, and sure enough they dropped another bomb in my cube Friday!

Had this Sunday evening with some broiled salmon, potatoes, and homemade Jin deui for desert. Bottle was opened at room temp for about an hour before tasting.

Initial sniffy sniff showed black olive, earth, tiny hints of vanilla, and not even a hint of alcohol.

On the lighter side, with nice bright cherry notes, a bit of oak, not a lot of complexity (perhaps that will change with age?).
I thought the acidity was a bit high without food, but with my salmon dish it paired very nicely, and was very enjoyable with the salmon steak.

The finish was light and medium in length with a bit of spice and cherry

Overall I'd say this is a good QPR food friendly Sonoma Coast Pinot. If you're low on Pinot, and like the Sonoma Coastal style, this is a good deal for a three pack (it's very hard to find value play Pinot!).

jamesfamilycellars

cortot20 wrote:Hi, could you provide some additional specs. PH, TA and winemaking techniques. It's both interesting to us and can push people into the thread.

Sure... the pH at bottling was 3.81 and the TA 4.85 g/l. As far as winemaking, since we are the grape grower we always try to support and showcase our great fruit in the winery. For instance, we use 100% french oak barrels (from a few different cooperages), and utilize barrels in the following ratio: 1/3 new oak, 1/3 year-old barrels, 1/3 neutral barrels. We find that this ratio provides the structure and complexity that we are looking for without overpowering the wine with too much oak influence.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
bsevern wrote:Snip

Hey, pretty close notes. I'm getting better at this.

jamesfamilycellars

merbill wrote:Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, paella.

The description mentioned two pinot clones, and that your grapes have gone into sparklers. I don't know much about clones beyond what Star Wars taught me. Please tell me why you chose these clones: Do they have an affinity with your terrior? What do they specifically impart into the wine? Where do they come from? Are some clones better for still wines vs sparklers? Do we have anything to fear from them? What if they attack?

Any SoCal'ers, I think I'm interested in a split...

Do not fear the clones! (Clowns are different matter). The different clones do show some different characteristics, such as slightly more or less prominence of certain flavors, berry size, cluster composition, shoot growth, etc. The same clones are used for still or sparkling wine, but farmed somewhat differently (sparkling wine requires higher acid and lower sugar, so we can carry more crop). Thanks!

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

From the Wine Spies:

Gold upon Gold

A brilliant follow-up to the past vintages that we’ve featured - and loved - today’s delicious 2009 James Family Cellars Stony Point Vineyard Pinot Noir exceeds our high expectations for this long-time Wine Spies winery.

Very balanced and delightful with wonderful fruit, earthiness and subtle spice working together in perfect harmony. Darker and more rich than many Sonoma Coast Pinots that we’ve featured, this wine has the look of a red blend while delivering an experience of flavor and aroma that is decidedly Pinot Noir.

Winemaker Terry Adams has been making Sonoma County Pinot Noir for decades. He has made award-winning Pinot Noir Sonoma-Cutrer Vineyards,Dutton Estate, Chateau Souverain and other prominent wineries.

Drinking beautifully now, we look forward to seeing how this wine progresses over the next year or two, Decant for 30 minutes - or give it a vigorous swirl and this highly recommended wine really springs to life.

Tasting Profile
Look:

Very dark and rich-looking with darkest ruby hues through a slightly opaque heart.
Smell:

Light, warm and easy-going aromas of black cherry, bramble, dark cherry and dried red rose petals with hints of subtle tobacco, leather and cinnamon.
Taste:

Darker and more concentrated on the palate than the nose indicates, leading with dried blueberry, black cherry, plum and bramble.
Finish:

Fruit, spice and earthy notes linger medium long. At the tail end, date and a very subtle hint of dried ginger appears for a moment.
Pairing:

Pair this darkly juicy Pinot with fancy kabobs. We’ll be enjoying ours with a grilled New York strip with a mushroom sauce.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Good to see James Family Pinot here on Woot again. I like a Sonoma Coast Pinot, and this one is a good one...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...