Y Rousseau Old Vines Colombard, Russian River Valley 6-Pack
$69.99 $127.00 45% off List Price
2012 Y Rousseau Old Vines Colombard, Russian River Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Clipdat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Clipdat

I'm in! Never had this style wine before, looking forward to trying it.

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen

Would be interested in a 2 or 3 way split to try Colombard for the first time. Does anyone who is attending the Ohio Scott Harvey dinner want to go in on this?

dalematthew

quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew

That monkey last night double teamed me - and left another bottle behind that I had to go look up the name of. I have never tried a Colombard before, so here goes.

2012 Y Rousseau Old Vines Colombard, RRV.

Color was a mesmerizing pale gold that seemed to pick up and reflect the light - crystal clear.

On the nose I could detect melon and pineapple with some limited swirling.

The palate was green apple (not sweet - more a baking type apple) and grapefruit - quite a bite to it and distinct minerality. You could taste the fruit but it is not too sweet - it's light and bright with a bite!

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen

From Oz Clarke's Grapes & Wines;

"Colombard... seems to have been a cross between Gouais Blanc and Chenin Blanc, and to have originated in the Charente region North of Bordeaux, where it was long made into white wine, and later distilled into Cognac."

"It maintains its acidity well, and provides good crops of fresh grapefruit and peach flavored whites for early consumption."

EDIT: Wowza, I just now read the write-up. What are the odds?
Oz-Fest!

YROUSSEAU

quality posts: 11 Private Messages YROUSSEAU

Hi everyone,
Yannick Rousseau here, winemaker and founder of Y Rousseau Winery writing from rainy northern Califoirnia...finally!
Colombard is still widely planted in the region of Armagnac and Côtes de Gascogne. It is indeed a grape variety known to retain a crisp refreshing acidity and bright aromas of green apple, grapefruit, jasmine, wet stone.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
YROUSSEAU wrote:Hi everyone,
Yannick Rousseau here, winemaker and founder of Y Rousseau Winery writing from rainy northern Califoirnia...finally!

Cheers to the rain and thank you for joining in. Do you have any insight on how the vines might fare given the lack of moisture up until just a few weeks ago?

YROUSSEAU

SmilingBoognish wrote:Cheers to the rain and thank you for joining in. Do you have any insight on how the vines might fare given the lack of moisture up until just a few weeks ago?

The rain is a blessing...however, the vines were "somehow" already programmed for a dry year because just up until 2-3 weeks ago, we had not had rain for months. My guess is that the vines will fare well but the crop will be lighter than normal.

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

Damn you Mr Rousseau, I misread this as (Fannuchi vineyard) Trouseau Gris.
That mistake aside, I had no idea that California was growing Colombard and am excited to give it a try.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

beefytaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beefytaco

From my bible - Jon Bonne's 'New California Wine:'

Then we have the curious case of French Colombard, one of California's workhorses. Though you're unlikely to find Colombard on a label, it remains CA's second-most-planted white grape w/ more than 22k acres. But Napa winemaker Yannick Rousseau, a native of Gascony, discovered a 35yo parcel in RRV.
Having grown up in Gascony, Rousseau understood Colombard's possibilities. He was happy to pay $800.ton, well above the state average of $242. "In 2008 when I did my first vintage, my wife said, "You're crazy to make Colombard," he says. "I don't think it was properly made or respected as a variety. So that's my mission"

Sold. I'm in. If someone in NYC wants to split - feel free to shoot me a message.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia

Very interesting offering! Nice to see winery participation early, too. Two questions:

1) The residual sugar stat is just listed as "dry." Any way we can get an actual number there or at least a ballpark range? After the recent NPR story on RS in dry wines, I'm gun shy.

2) The picture of the glass has a few large bubbles formed on the side of the glass. Was that just an unfortunate pour or is there a bit of effervescence in these bottles?

bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm

A bottle of Y Rousseau 2012 Russian River Valley Old Vines Colombard found its way to our local FedEx/Kinko’s a few days ago. FWIW, when ddeuddeg and I taste wines, we keep our observations to ourselves until we have them pretty well formed and then, we discuss. Upon opening the bottle and pouring a taste portion, I got a pleasant nose full of honeysuckle and a bit of minerality. The color was light and very clear, picking up tones from the lighting. Very pretty. Upon tasting, I got a lot of citrus on the palate. It was also very tart, with a lot of green apple, grapefruit and lime and was highly acidic. There was not much of a finish to this wine.

I cannot remember when I last had a Colombard so I was really looking forward to trying this wine. I’m afraid that I was disappointed in it. It was too tart for my taste and it did not pair well with our meal: Panko and Parmesan Crusted Flounder, Whole Wheat Couscous with Sautéed Mixed Peppers and Toasted Pine Nuts and Broccoli with a squirt of lemon juice. As a stand alone, it didn’t work for me either. I was happy to give it a try, though.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia
bahwm wrote:A bottle of Y Rousseau 2012 Russian River Valley Old Vines Colombard found its way to our local FedEx/Kinko’s a few days ago...

Thanks for the review. I think the less flattering ones are tougher to write, but important for the community.

I was wondering if you could speak a little bit to the kind of light whites you normally like. For example, are sauvignon blancs usually too tart for you, too? I'm asking because we tend to like the tart whites in the summer, so I'm trying to gauge if this one is "over the top" tart and poorly done or just not your cup of tea.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Y Rousseau 2012 Russian River Valley Old Vines Colombard

Given an opportunity to sample this wine, I have to admit that my first thought was didn't Gallo make something called French Colombard a few decades ago, when they were making a bunch of jug wines with French names?
Putting that idea in the back of my mind, I made a white wine friendly dinner of Parmesan crusted flounder, and opened it with high hopes. First impression, a pretty subdued nose, minerally with papaya and pineapple. None of that on the palate, it was all non-descript citrus and very acidic. Nothing much at all on the finish. I hoped for some help when I started tasting it with the meal, but it didn't seem to pair up well at all.
I had really high expectations after reading of the winemaker's passion for the grape, and experience making Colombard in its original home in France, but it seemed to me it missed the mark. Of course, YMMV.

Cyradia wrote:Two questions:

1) The residual sugar stat is just listed as "dry." Any way we can get an actual number there or at least a ballpark range? After the recent NPR story on RS in dry wines, I'm gun shy.

2) The picture of the glass has a few large bubbles formed on the side of the glass. Was that just an unfortunate pour or is there a bit of effervescence in these bottles?

I don't believe you'll be able to detect any residual sugar in this wine, and our bottle did not contain any hint of effervescence, either. I'd blame that on the photo.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

jaimelobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaimelobo
Clipdat wrote:I'm in! Never had this style wine before, looking forward to trying it.

The wines from the Gascony region, are among my favs and are regulars in the house. Should be interesting to try one from Napa.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
jaimelobo wrote:The wines from the Gascony region, are among my favs and are regulars in the house. Should be interesting to try one from RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY, SONOMA COUNTY.

Corrected for you.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

dalematthew

quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew
Cyradia wrote:

I was wondering if you could speak a little bit to the kind of light whites you normally like. For example, are sauvignon blancs usually too tart for you, too? I'm asking because we tend to like the tart whites in the summer, so I'm trying to gauge if this one is "over the top" tart and poorly done or just not your cup of tea.

It's definitely tart - not having tried this grape before (knowingly) it's hard to compare to what is normal. My wife who is the main white wine drinker in our household likes chards and this was not to her liking. I tend towards SB and Roussanne and this was at the tart end of a SB range. If you like a tart white for summer you should give it a shot!

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

Now we're talking! I'm a big fan of Y Rousseau Wines - the Y Rousseau Colombard has become a staple at my house. Also very interested in trying his Tannat...

Last Wooter to Woot:
texacaliali

WineDavid was my Boss!

justjking

quality posts: 2 Private Messages justjking

More importantly, does it come with the fancy feather quill?

theglassrat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages theglassrat
beefytaco wrote:From my bible - Jon Bonne's 'New California Wine:'

Then we have the curious case of French Colombard, one of California's workhorses. Though you're unlikely to find Colombard on a label, it remains CA's second-most-planted white grape w/ more than 22k acres. But Napa winemaker Yannick Rousseau, a native of Gascony, discovered a 35yo parcel in RRV.
Having grown up in Gascony, Rousseau understood Colombard's possibilities. He was happy to pay $800.ton, well above the state average of $242. "In 2008 when I did my first vintage, my wife said, "You're crazy to make Colombard," he says. "I don't think it was properly made or respected as a variety. So that's my mission"

Sold. I'm in. If someone in NYC wants to split - feel free to shoot me a message.

I'm in - sent you a PM.

frogstachio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogstachio

In late spring of 2012, I had the great fortune of meeting Mr. Rousseau and sampling his wines at a tasting he and his wife held in Dallas. I had never even heard of the Columbard grape, but was blown away by this wine (we tasted the 2011 vintage). The crisp acidity proved a perfect antidote to the summer heat of Texas.

tenoreprimo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tenoreprimo

About a week ago the single mystery bottle arrived. Upon opening it I was surprised to see it was the colombard grape.

The wine also was a surprise. The floral nose preceded the tart flinty initial taste. Bone dry, clean mouthfeel.

We enjoyed the wine and believe it will work well with food.

If you enjoy Italian or Spanish whites it should work for you. If oaky buttery chards are your thing I'd pass.

In for 1!

YROUSSEAU

frogstachio wrote:In late spring of 2012, I had the great fortune of meeting Mr. Rousseau and sampling his wines at a tasting he and his wife held in Dallas. I had never even heard of the Columbard grape, but was blown away by this wine (we tasted the 2011 vintage). The crisp acidity proved a perfect antidote to the summer heat of Texas.

Hi There, Good to hear from you and thank you for the comment! Yes Colombard is the PERFECT wine for the warm spring and summer and especially because it is low alcohol so you can easily enjoy 2 or 3 glasses....

YROUSSEAU

tenoreprimo wrote:About a week ago the single mystery bottle arrived. Upon opening it I was surprised to see it was the colombard grape.

The wine also was a surprise. The floral nose preceded the tart flinty initial taste. Bone dry, clean mouthfeel.

We enjoyed the wine and believe it will work well with food.

If you enjoy Italian or Spanish whites it should work for you. If oaky buttery chards are your thing I'd pass.

In for 1!

Salut Tenoreprimo,
Thanks for your comment. Colombard is indeed quite versatile with food because of its bright acidity and what I call "backbone"...which is kind of the structure of the wine. Thank you for being in!

YROUSSEAU

theglassrat wrote:I'm in - sent you a PM.

Bonjour TheGlassRat, Jon Bonné has been a great supporter and big fan of my Colombard. His book is avant-garde...and so is Y Rousseau Winery!

YROUSSEAU

justjking wrote:More importantly, does it come with the fancy feather quill?

hello Justjking, actually...some would argue I am a descendant of Jean-Jacques Rousseau or D'Artagnan! but I haven't checked yet...

YROUSSEAU

texacaliali wrote:Now we're talking! I'm a big fan of Y Rousseau Wines - the Y Rousseau Colombard has become a staple at my house. Also very interested in trying his Tannat...

Last Wooter to Woot:
texacaliali

Bonjour Texacaliali! thank you for your ongoing support! Colombard is indeed a staple in my house and a lot of Napa & Sonoma winmakers' houses because it is unique, refreshing, low alcohol and an excellent alternative to Sauv. Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
BTw, I just bottled my Tannat 2012 yesterday!

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo
chipgreen wrote:Would be interested in a 2 or 3 way split to try Colombard for the first time. Does anyone who is attending the Ohio Scott Harvey dinner want to go in on this?

I'd go in on a 3-fer... we don't have a ton of space, but I'm interested enough to try 2 bottles.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

YROUSSEAU

dalematthew wrote:It's definitely tart - not having tried this grape before (knowingly) it's hard to compare to what is normal. My wife who is the main white wine drinker in our household likes chards and this was not to her liking. I tend towards SB and Roussanne and this was at the tart end of a SB range. If you like a tart white for summer you should give it a shot!

Hello there, very good observations on the Colombard. It is more at the tart end of SB. I have noticed that my Colombard is a bit too crisp for some wine drinkers and I understand that. My choice is to make a wine that is true to the region of Russian River valley but also true to my home region of Gascony and a wine that goes very well with food. That is why I chose to not make this wine a little sweeter.
I also make an unoaked Chardonnay from RRV (it is sold out at the moment) and a Chardonnay from Mount Veeder which an elegant, Burgundy style Chardonnay...great with Seabass, salmon, roasted chicken, pesto pasta...oops! I'm getting hungry

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

YROUSSEAU wrote:Hi everyone,
Colombard is still widely planted in the region of Armagnac and Côtes de Gascogne. It is indeed a grape variety known to retain a crisp refreshing acidity and bright aromas of green apple, grapefruit, jasmine, wet stone.

thanks for jumping on the boards! Interesting offer today to be sure.

YROUSSEAU

cmaldoon wrote:Corrected for you.

Salut Cmaldoon, the beauty of Russian River Colombard is that we get a nice morning fog and a bit more sun in the afternoon than Gascony so it allows for a long slow, hang time but retains very well the acidity. And because I do skin contact maceration, it gives this Colombard a nice structure. If you love Gascony Colombard, you will FOR SURE enjoy Y Rousseau Colombard. Thank you.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
Winedavid39 wrote:thanks for jumping on the boards! Interesting offer today to be sure.

Soooooo much better participation than yesterday!

CT

YROUSSEAU

beefytaco wrote:Damn you Mr Rousseau, I misread this as (Fannuchi vineyard) Trouseau Gris.
That mistake aside, I had no idea that California was growing Colombard and am excited to give it a try.

Hi there, Colombard is the 2nd most planted varietal in CA! BUT most of it is planted in Central Valley. My Colombard comes from Russian River from a vineyard just across from Fanucchi Vyd actually.

YROUSSEAU

rjquillin wrote:Soooooo much better participation than yesterday!

My pleasure.

YROUSSEAU

Clipdat wrote:I'm in! Never had this style wine before, looking forward to trying it.

Thank you for giving it a try. Please send me your feedback anytime. And if you happen to visit Napa Valley, come and visit us for the entire portfolio tasting.
Cheers

YROUSSEAU

chipgreen wrote:Would be interested in a 2 or 3 way split to try Colombard for the first time. Does anyone who is attending the Ohio Scott Harvey dinner want to go in on this?

Very interesting....Scott Harvey is actually a bif fan of my Colombard!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

After reading all of the comments, I feel like I should give this another chance after the weather warms up. If you decide to order, we can do a 2 or 3 way split, depending on whether anyone else jumps on board. Probably won't have it by then, though. We can figure something out.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

YROUSSEAU

dalematthew wrote:That monkey last night double teamed me - and left another bottle behind that I had to go look up the name of. I have never tried a Colombard before, so here goes.

2012 Y Rousseau Old Vines Colombard, RRV.

Color was a mesmerizing pale gold that seemed to pick up and reflect the light - crystal clear.

On the nose I could detect melon and pineapple with some limited swirling.

The palate was green apple (not sweet - more a baking type apple) and grapefruit - quite a bite to it and distinct minerality. You could taste the fruit but it is not too sweet - it's light and bright with a bite!

Bonjour Dalematthew, excellent description of the Colombard! Thank you

YROUSSEAU

chipgreen wrote:From Oz Clarke's Grapes & Wines;

"Colombard... seems to have been a cross between Gouais Blanc and Chenin Blanc, and to have originated in the Charente region North of Bordeaux, where it was long made into white wine, and later distilled into Cognac."

"It maintains its acidity well, and provides good crops of fresh grapefruit and peach flavored whites for early consumption."

EDIT: Wowza, I just now read the write-up. What are the odds?
Oz-Fest!

I would just add that, because I used the technique of skin contact maceration, the Colombard has structure in the mouthfeel and in my opinion, that is why it is quite versatile with many different dishes.