Maroon Wines Oak Knoll Napa Cabernet Sauvignon 2-Pack
$69.99 $130.00 46% off List Price
2009 Oak Knoll “Single Vineyard” Cabernet Sauvignon
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Finding difficulty in locating the value here.
CT average $24.81 and $25 from WTSO.

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
rjquillin wrote:Finding difficulty in locating the value here.
CT average $24.81 and $25 from WTSO.

Hmmm. I'm wrong, RJ is correct.

Looks like WTSO probably got some of this dumped from a distributor and so had a better deal.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:Doing a search for it, I don't see that WTSO has EVER had this single vineyard cab up.

They do periodically have maroon wines up for $20, typically cabs that do not match Maroon's current releases (which means those wines are likely bottom end or side blends intended for the discount market) I think people have mistaken this CellarTracker entry which has lowered the perceived average price.

This wine looks to be from their standard list.

Twice, I know of;
2013-08-16
2013-06-24

CT

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

I felt like opening a big Cab for Saturday night dinner and coincidentley, it happened to be the Maroon Vineyard 2009 Oak Knoll Single Vineyard.

Single Vineyard Cab from the Oak knoll district had me pretty excited as Cabernet is probably my favorite varietal and, to my palate, Napa produces some of the best.

On opening, I was surprised by the bouquet which smelled a lot more like 2000 Maremma than 2009 Oak Knoll. That is, I noted very little fruit, some alcohol and a fair amount of funk; actually, not very Napa Cab in character as all.

Unfortunately, although it had the initial funk of an Italian Cab, it lacked much of the polish and seemed somewhat disjointed. The first sip was overwhelmingly tannic.

I left it in the decanter and re-sampled throughout the night hoping it would develop some more appealing qualities. Fortunately, the alcohol did resolve (being <14% I’m surprised at my initial impression)

With time, the funk became less apparent and some fruit came through. Still, tannin seemed to dominate the tasting experience.

Overall, I thought it was a good bottle of wine if not a great one. I would not be disappointed if I had ordered this at a restaurant, but I cannot say I would seek it out.

Is it broke or just fractured?

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

Does the "Single Vineyard" have a name?

EDIT: n/m, looks like Cesare updated the CT entry to designate it as "Maroon Vineyard".

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:Does the "Single Vineyard" have a name?

EDIT: n/m, looks like Cesare updated the CT entry to designate it as "Maroon Vineyard".

Visiting the Maroon site, nowhere can I find where this is from "Maroon Vineyard" or even Estate fruit for that matter; just that it is from a "Single Vineyard" as Paul states in the voice message. I'd rather think if it was their vineyard he would proudly comment on that.
Still, at $60/btl (for non-club purchases) even in case lots, this is what can be purchased, here, now, not the $30~45 a member may pay.
Most curious.

CT

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Saturday nights are my Ribeye & Fries night, Last Saturday was no exception, so wondered into my “Office” looking for a “Nice” Cab, something different and low and behold was a bottle of Maroon Napa Valley “Single Vinyard” 2009 Cab, for the life of me I don’t remember buying this bottle, asked the wifie if she knew where it came from.
Yes said she, your Monkey Buddy was on the wall terrorizing the dog again and left the box on the wall as he/she left.
Cool….
Now I take my ol sweet time prepping my meals, so cracked this bad boy open and decided to decant the bottle, I did sneak a little taste and was pleasantly surprise,
Nice color, deep but not as deep purple as say Ardente and White Oak, but much deeper than the average Cab out there.
Started the dinner prep and fired up the Charcoals… yes I’m old fashion, I don’t own a gas outdoor grill, I take my cooking like my wine seriously. (Mesquite charcoal to be exact.)
About 30 minutes after opening the bottle I have my 1st glass, the wine, it has a deep, rich texture and a lingering finish, with nice legs and aroma. It really opens up nicely after 30 minutes or so in the decanter
Once the meal was ready, about an hr and 15 minutes after opening the bottle sat down and had a great meal with a very good Cab. Reminded me of the Sempre Vive Verticals offered some time back and a little like the Black Zeppelin. Both I really like.
Decided to c/o the internet on this wine, saw ratings from 90 to 94 points, While I wouldn’t give it 94, I would give a solid 90.
Saw this on WTSO this week at $20 to $25 Not sure I would pay $35 a bottle let alone the listed price of $65.
But still feel this is a Good Cab., but it’s just one mans opinion.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson

Ordered from TSO 08/16/2013, $99.99, Maroon Single Vineyard Cabernet 2009 4 Pack Oak Knoll & Spring Mtn. Districts, Napa Valley. Opened one of each (09/2013), decanted for an hour and thought the Oak Knoll had more complexity than the Spring Mtn. Both were tasty and worth the price. Would expect them to improve over the next year.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
fredrinaldi wrote:Saturday nights are my Ribeye & Fries night, Last Saturday was no exception, so wondered into my “Office” looking for a “Nice” Cab, something different and low and behold was a bottle of Maroon Napa Valley “Single Vinyard” 2009 Cab, for the life of me I don’t remember buying this bottle, asked the wifie if she knew where it came from.
Yes said she, your Monkey Buddy was on the wall terrorizing the dog again and left the box on the wall as he/she left.
Cool….
Now I take my ol sweet time prepping my meals, so cracked this bad boy open and decided to decant the bottle, I did sneak a little taste and was pleasantly surprise,
Nice color, deep but not as deep purple as say Ardente and White Oak, but much deeper than the average Cab out there.
Started the dinner prep and fired up the Charcoals… yes I’m old fashion, I don’t own a gas outdoor grill, I take my cooking like my wine seriously. (Mesquite charcoal to be exact.)
About 30 minutes after opening the bottle I have my 1st glass, the wine, it has a deep, rich texture and a lingering finish, with nice legs and aroma. It really opens up nicely after 30 minutes or so in the decanter
Once the meal was ready, about an hr and 15 minutes after opening the bottle sat down and had a great meal with a very good Cab. Reminded me of the Sempre Vive Verticals offered some time back and a little like the Black Zeppelin. Both I really like.
Decided to c/o the internet on this wine, saw ratings from 90 to 94 points, While I wouldn’t give it 94, I would give a solid 90.
Saw this on WTSO this week at $20 to $25 Not sure I would pay $35 a bottle let alone the listed price of $65.
But still feel this is a Good Cab., but it’s just one mans opinion.

More importantly, how did you make the fries?
If it's with an actual deep fryer then your a man after my grandfathers own semi clogged heart.
This sounds like a bday dinner. Steak and frys all the way. For the bonus round, do you put ketchup on your homemade frys or butter?

CT

rjquillin

fredrinaldi wrote:Saw this on WTSO this week at $20 to $25

Nice notes Cab-said-Fred, liked the comparisons to other bottles many are familiar with.
That was the Signature Reserve Napa Valley 2010 for $20 last week on 'tso however.

CT

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

One more thing I found a bit unusual about this wine was the composite cork. A bit odd for a $60 Napa Cab.

Again, a decent wine, but for $5 more, I would go for the Wellington Victory.

Is it broke or just fractured?

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi
jmdavidson wrote:Ordered from TSO 08/16/2013, $99.99, Maroon Single Vineyard Cabernet 2009 4 Pack Oak Knoll & Spring Mtn. Districts, Napa Valley. Opened one of each (09/2013), decanted for an hour and thought the Oak Knoll had more complexity than the Spring Mtn. Both were tasty and worth the price. Would expect them to improve over the next year.

I used to have a "deep fryer" held about 2 qts of oil, But a few years back took some nutrition classes, VERY LITTLE oil for this boy now. A few years back bought an Actifryer, uses only 2 Tbl spoons of oil for about 4 med sized potatos cut into fries, They take longer, about 35 to 40 minutes, but are great, lo cal fries, love them.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

I've always found Maroon Napa cabs to be solid wines, and for WW and TSO prices, very solid QPR.